Twenty-Eight

Wondrous Magnolia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seohyun exhaled deeply as looked at the lunch box on her lap. She was sitting alone on the bench in the backyard. She thought that she needed peace to clear her mind after her business some hours ago.

Yeah, she kept thinking about Yonghwa and Royal Consort Selection. But then someone walked passed by her while carrying a box.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Sajangnim,” greeted a lovely girl as she bowed at her.

“Ahh, ne. Wonyoung-ahh. Have you eaten your lunch? You have to slow down a bit. You have worked since morning,” said Seohyun in a worried tone.

DEW was holding an event in an orphanage that day, and Wonyoung was one of DEW regular volunteers. She had been joined DEW since some weeks ago. But she was indeed a very hard worker. She had worked more than any volunteer did that day.

“Ne, Sajangnim. Gomapseumnida,” replied Wonyoung politely as she smiled brightly.

“No, put that box and sit with me here,” insisted Seohyun as she patted the bench beside her.

Wonyoung smiled shyly and looked around, before said, “Ne, Sajangnim.”

That girl then followed Seohyun’s order and sat beside her. Seohyun gave her lunch box to her.

“But, Sajangnim. This is your lunch.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll take another box for myself after this. Just eat, Wonyoung-ahh. And stop calling me Sajangnim. Just call me Eonni from now on,” said Seohyun again.

“Ahh, ne…Eonni…”

Wonyoung then smiled again. She was always so cheerful. People liked her for her bright personality. She became everyone’s little sister in a short time.

“So, how is college? Is it okay for you to fully involve in DEW activities?” asked Seohyun out of sudden. She was worried because Wonyoung was still a college student.

“Of course, it’s really oke, Sajangnim – ehh Eonni. Even my parents support me as well.”

“I’m just worried you’ll be too tired.” Seohyun couldn’t help to tell her worries.

“No, I won’t be too tired. Don’t worry.” But Wonyoung ensured her. “So, what is the next project for the children day next month? I want to make sure I'm involved again.”

“Aigoo, you have to slow down. You’re still young. You must enjoy your life as a college student more.” Seohyun was giggling while saying this. Wonyoung was too excited for every DEW’s project.

“I should help people in need more because of that, Eonni. I’m lucky enough to be born into a good family. I should at least help them who are not as lucky as I am,” said Wonyoung in a serious tone. Her facial expression turned sad while saying that.

Seohyun was stunned by her answer. She was also so touched hearing that. Wonyoung was still so young and yet she could think wisely like that.

“So, what is the next project, Eonni?” she repeated the question after that.

Seohyun couldn’t help to laugh again, then said, “Hmm…we are thinking of preparing baby and toddler toolsets and send it to orphanages in several provinces.”

“Really? Sounds cool. Could I…” Wonyoung’s eyes were sparkling with excitement as she was about to ask something but stopped, “ahh, no. Mianhaeyo, Eonni.”

“Wae? Why did you stop? You want to ask something, right? Just tell me, palli.”

“Aniyo, Eonni. I’m scared this will be a hassle for DEW.”

“Just tell me.”

“Actually, I know an ahjumma that produced baby and toddler toolset. I met her several months ago when I was volunteering in that area. The workers are all women who live in her neighbourhood who are trying to make more money for supporting their families. I was about to suggest them to you. But you can just ignore what I’ve said before.”

Seohyun then smiled by Wonyoung innocent suggestion. “But it’s not a bad idea. Why don’t we go there after this event end? Let’s see what we can do for them.”

“Jinjjayo, Eonni? Aigoo…thank you so much for considering my idea. But can we go there tomorrow? I promised Eomma to come early today.”

“Aigoo…of course it’s oke, Wonyoung-ahh. Just tell when you’re ready, I’ll try to match my schedule with you.”

“But you’re so busy, Eonni.”

“Gwenchana. It won’t take time too long to check it, right?”

“Ahh, ne. Gomawoyo, Eonni~”

Wonyoung bright smile really shined Seohyun’s dark mood that day. It made her think that she wished to have a kind and lovely daughter like Wonyoung in the future. But that thought led her back to Yonghwa. It was always like that. Even though she could distract her mind from him, it would be back to him again in the end.

The future topic was always about him all this time. She never imagined herself to be with someone else except Yonghwa to spend her lifetime. But she knew that she was so shameless for imagining that. She hated to admit that Madame Kang really succeeded in ruining her confidence and her positive thought.

It was also already one week since the last time she talked with him. They actually couldn’t talk so often due to Yonghwa business. But one week felt so long. She missed him. But she felt so scared to call him first. She had hurt him because she couldn’t trust him. It was not like she didn’t want to trust him, she just couldn’t let herself hoped too high.

 

***

 

Yonghwa read the email from Secretary Lee. It was the full report about Jung Hyesung and JHS Foundation. He had spent two hours to read it all since morning. But after he finished reading it, he didn’t give any reaction then just stood up and started walking out of his barracks.

JHS Foundation activities with UN Foundation were focusing on children and women health in conflict countries. And since that day was Yonghwa’s off day, Hyesung asked him to join her foundation activity. That day they go to a school and cheered up the student there.

Yonghwa didn’t do much. He just helped them carrying things but sometimes tried to communicate with the kids.

“Thank you for helping us today, Yonghwa-ssi,” said Hyesung as she walked closer to Yonghwa who was enjoying the scenery from the school gate after they wrapped up the event that day.

“No worries. I don’t have anything to do either,” replied Yonghwa simply.

“But still. Thank you.”

Yonghwa didn’t say anything after that and kept looking at the sky. It was already afternoon there. The sunset is beautiful.

“It’s so beautiful, isn’t it?” said Hyesung not long after that.

Yonghwa smiled, agreed with that statement. Sunset with the red sky was always beautiful. And he missed his red sky, Seo Joohyun, so much.

He really wanted to call her but he knew her well. They would fight again if she had not lessened her stubbornness first. So, he gave her times and would call her later, after she was calmer.

“So, it’s only three months left? Your deployment here?” asked Hyesung, broke Yonghwa’s thought about Seohyun.

“Yeah. Time flies. I feel like it was only yesterday I arrived here.”

“Then what are you going to do after come back to Seoul?” asked Hyesung excitedly.

“Working. What else?”

“I thought you’ll do something else. You like challenging yourself, right?” Hyesung was really in the mood to talk more with him.

“No. Not really. I like trying new experiences that are useful for me and people around me.” But Yonghwa didn’t have any reason not to answer it.

“Ahh, I see. So, you always try to help people with anything you do. You’re really our pride,” praised Hyesung as she giggled softly.

But Yonghwa didn’t feel so happy at all with that compliment. He was really not in the mood at that time.

But after several seconds, he remembered about the file that Secretary Lee had sent to him about her.

“Why do you choose to focus on expanding your foundation? I heard you’re a career woman two years ago,” asked Yonghwa out of sudden.

She looked quite surprised by the question but then she smiled shyly.

“Whoa, I’m surprised that you know about my past,” Hyesung replied bluntly. “But I’m so happy you ask me this question.”

Yonghwa looked at her carefully because of that but it made her turned red.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” asked her shyly.

Yonghwa was surprised. He didn’t realize he just made her felt so shy. He then turned away quickly and said, “Mian.”

“We are the same age, aren’t we? Can I drop the honorific?” asked Hyesung out of sudden, still blushing.

Yonghwa didn’t reply to her question right away. But after several seconds he nodded. “Ne, we’re friends after all.”

“Jinjja? Gomawo.”

They silenced after that. And Yonghwa was considering to go back to the school when she suddenly said, “The reason why I chose to expand this foundation instead of building my career is because I want to give as much as I can.”

Yonghwa turned to her right away. He almost forgot that he had asked her that question. He thought she didn’t want to answer it.

“I was born when my family was in a difficult situation. My parents divorced when I was still in elementary school. And since I lived only with my Eomma, while my father disappeared right after they parted ways, I should help Eomma to make our living. I was lucky enough to get a scholarship from my mother’s employer where she worked as a maid back then.”

Yonghwa looked at her carefully again. He really wanted to see her expression while telling him this story. But this time she didn’t realize it since she was too immersed by her own thought.

“I was so lucky to get worked in a big company after graduated then finally could provide a better house and life for my mother. But after three years of working, I felt so empty inside. I didn’t know why. I felt like, I should spread the kindness that I got when I was younger to people in need. So, I decided to use all the money I’ve saved from working non-stop in three years to build a café then I built this foundation.” She ended the explanation as she looked at him.

But she was surprised when realized Yonghwa was looking at her too. Their eyes met and they silenced. Yonghwa was trying to dig what he needed to know through her eyes. But when he realized that they looked at each other, Yonghwa turned away again. Hyesung smiled shyly.

“Yeah, I heard that your business is also successful,” said Yonghwa after that.

“Ani. That’s because of my team. They worked so well until I just need to check them once in a while. That’s why I still could make a living even though I focus more on this foundation.”

Yonghwa didn’t say anything after that.

“Want to visit my café? After you come back to Seoul?” asked her excitedly.

“Let’s see, if our schedules match.”

She looked disappointed. And Yonghwa didn’t intend to cheer her up too. He then thought that there was nothing to be talked with her again.

“Kaja,” asked him.

He knew that she was so disappointed by his sudden idea to go back to the school building. But she agreed and walked first. Yonghwa followed her behind. They walked in silence.

But after several steps, Hyesung suddenly asked, “Are you not in a good mood? You look sullen.”

“I’m just tired,” replied Yonghwa simply.

Hyesung stopped walking so abruptly and turned around at the same time. Yonghwa who walked right behind her didn’t expect it and he crushed her. It was so fast and Hyesung almost fell because of that. Fortunately, Yonghwa grabbed her in time so she didn’t fall. But their position was so close. They looked at each other.

Yonghwa was back to his sense when he heard the kids were cheering for them from the school. He released her right away. Hyesung turned red.

“Mian. And thanks,” said she as she ran towards the school.

Yonghwa watched her who was running away. She obviously felt so happy. But Yonghwa was not in the mood to sort off this thing with her. He took a deep breath again as his mind flew back to his red sky again.

Joohyun-ahh, I miss you…

 

***

 

Seohyun decided to spend the weekend in her study room at her parents’ house. She tried to make herself busy as much as she could to distract herself from negative thought.

“Board members agree with Wonyoung’s proposal. So, please execute it right away, Yerin-ssi.”

Seohyun was talking to her assistant for DEW project by phone. In the weekend, she mostly worked for a charity project more than office stuff.

“Yeah, please call me if you need any help.”

She ended the conversation after that then took the blue folder. She decided to start reviewing the profile of prospective awardees for SAM Scholarship. Yeah, besides DEW, she also started to involve in SAM Scholarship selection that was conducted annually. Every year SAM gave scholarship for underprivileged students from elementary school until college.

But then her phone showed notification about new news. The title was about Yonghwa. Since he was deployed abroad, it was so rare to get news about him. So, she opened it right away.

And she regretted it…

She didn’t read the article, but the picture in that article affected her. There was only one picture where Yonghwa and Hyesung’s position was so close to each other. It was captured from afar but people would assume Yonghwa was hugging her by seeing that picture.

She knew that she shouldn’t be sad but it hurt her. She tried to close the article but suddenly the evil in her thought pushed her to read the comment.

 

Article: [Exclusive] Love Blooms in the Conflict Country? – The Crown Prince’s Rumoured Relationship with JHS Foundation CEO, Jung Hyesung

Source: N*ver

1. [+8,015, -198] Heol...another nugu ㅠㅠ

2. [+6,732, -112] Another social climber ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+5,461, -120] I know that our Prince would dump Seo Joohyun in the end ㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+5,369, -104] Who is she?

5. [+3,122, -786] How about Seo Joohyun then?

6. [+1,855, -695] Our Prince who loves commoners ㅋㅋㅋ

7. [+1,791, -20] Heol, I prefer our Crown Prince is w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter