Lee Hongbin: Pals & Problems

[HIATUS] ROOM VI

 

"Boys are so stupid!" Yura suddenly said out of nowhere. She was currently looking at her phone and typing angrily. "Excuse me?", Hongbin, who was sitting right in front of her sneered. Yura looked up from her phone and matched Hongbin's stare. She raised her eyebrow in confusion before flashing him a smirk. "Are you offended?", Yura snickered, "people usually get defensive when they themselves can relate", Yura airily stated before diverting her gaze back to her phone. "What exactly are you implying?", Hongbin demanded before waving his fingers in front of Yura's face, trying to get her attention. Yura slapped Hongbin's fingers away before snorting out a "You know what I meant". She looked at her phone again in distaste and shoved it inside her bag, not wanting to deal with it anymore. Hongbin propped up his chin on his hand and stared at the girl, his eyes demanding an explanation. "What?" Yura snapped. "You think I'm stupid?" Hongbin asked, his voice stern. Yura laughed at his expression, he looked so serious and offended it was ridiculous. Hongbin and her had been friends ever since they were 12. Their mums were best friends and used to bring them to their little meet ups, eventually making them close as well. Their mums were elated when they found out that the two were best friends. "Of course I do", Yura answered, and she was met with Hongbin's glare, an action she was already immune to.

"Whaddup!", Baekhyun chided before plopping himself down next to Yura. "Nobody says 'whaddup' anymore", Yura snickered before stuffing with fries. "Yeah, Baek", Hongbin interfered before Baekhyun could open his mouth to refute. "Listen to her, she is after all the hippest girl in town", Hongbin finished mockingly. Yura tossed her fries to Hongbin in response. "Seeing you two lovers quarrel everyday is really draining the youth out of me", Baekhyun sighed lazily. "What youth?", Yura snorted before throwing more fries, this time directed towards Baekhyun. Baekhyun met the duo during orientation and had followed them like a puppy ever since. The fact that the three of them were all snarky helped them grew even closer. The trio were always bantering with each other, throwing snide comments here and there. Their friendship was definitely dysfunctional, but it was in the best way possible.

"Have you completed Ms Hwang's assignment?" Baekhyun asked Hongbin. The three of them were currently in the Uni cafeteria trying to pass time before their next class. Hongbin looked up from his phone to see Baekhyun struggling to open his tuna sandwich wrap, his face scrunched up and his hands failing him. Hongbin took the sandwich away from the boy and carefully unwrapped it for him, before tossing it back in his direction. "Dude! Not cool!", Baekhyun screeched, "you're lucky my reflexes are fast or else..", he huffed before shoving the sandwich into his mouth, his words left unfinished. "Or else, what?" Yura asked, tilting her head. Baekhyun glanced at her and made a face, "Or else I'd have to buy a new one, which Hongbin is going to pay for", Baekhyun answered in a 'what else' tone. Yura snorted at his answer, she genuinely thought Baekhyun was going to beat Hongbin up or something. She knew the boy was more than capable to do so, Baekhyun was after all a Hapkido student. "Anyways, what Ms Hwang's assignment?" Hongbin asked, his voice a little panicked. "You forgot, didn't you?", Baekhyun asked playfully, making Hongbin glare at him. "Chill. It's not due today, I was just asking". Hongbin let out a breath he didn't even know he held. Ms Hwang was a strict lecturer. Assignments that weren't passed up on their deadline would not only get rejected, she would also reject the next assignment as a punishment, consequently screwing their grade over. "So when is it due, then?", Hongbin asked, his face relatively more relaxed than before. "Tomorrow, duh", Baekhyun answered nonchalantly. Hongbin's face stiffened again.


Hongbin walked into History to see Ravi sleeping on his desk. It was the only class they shared and they both hated the subject. Hongbin made his way and slammed his stuff down on the desk, effectively jolting Ravi up. The latter looked around confused and sighed in relief when he only saw Hongbin, that meant he could continue sleeping. Ravi put his head back on the table, his arms under it and dozed off again. "Wake up", Hongbin whined while kicking Ravi's chair. The latter groaned and opened his eyes lazily, "What do you want?", Ravi asked, his voice thick with sleep. "All you do is sleep, go socialise or something", Hongbin snapped, still kicking Ravi's chair. "Why don't you go socialise, I'll just sleep here", Ravi said back, his eyes already closing again. Hongbin huffed in response and glanced around the class. He didn't know anyone else, which explained why he was stuck with Ravi, bored and neglected. It was always like this, History was like Ravi's own sleeping pill, and all he did in class was sleep. Their lecturer didn't really mind as it was only a minor subject, just as long as they passed their quizzes and sent in their assignments. Hongbin saw Kai sitting at the front and smiled at him. The latter returned his gesture by flashing his infamous grin back, before looking away to talk to his friend. He wasn't particularly close with Kai, and had only known him through Ravi. Although Ravi and him stayed in the same apartment and were actually best friends, they both hung out in different circles at Uni. Ravi woke up from his slumber to see Hongbin staring into nothing. He nudged the dimpled boy and raised his eyebrow, "You okay?", he asked, his voice laced with concern. Hongbin nodded at him, "Yeah, I'm just thinking about your health", Hongbin stated seriously. Ravi quirked up his eyebrow. "My health? Why?" Ravi asked, a little confused. "I'm just wondering if one could die from sleeping too much", Hongbin answered, emotionless. Ravi gaped at his friend's answer and wanted to say something back, but their lecturer arrived and the class commenced.

Halfway through History, Ravi stealthily took out his phone and google searched "Can someone die from sleeping too much?"

。。。

Hongbin was on his way to his next class, his eyes on his phone when someone suddenly blocked his way, making him stop abruptly. "What the...", Hongbin said as he looked up from his phone. In front of him stood a sheepish looking Hyuk. Hongbin raised his eyebrow in question.
"Can I... uh...", Hyuk stuttered while rubbing his neck, a habit he did whenever he was nervous. Hongbin tilted his head in question before nudging it to the front, prodding Hyuk to continue. "I forgot my wallet, so...", Hyuk continued quietly, and Hongbin would've honestly missed it if he wasn't listening as intently as he was. Hyuk never looked as nervous as he was now, and Hongbin thought it was odd. "If you only want to borrow money then why do you look so anxious?", Hongbin stated while looking at Hyuk scrutinisingly. "Because I looked for Hakyeon earlier but I couldn't find him, so I went to Ken and he said he didn't have any money", Hyuk finished, frustrated. "So I'm your third option?", Hongbin asked bitterly, a little offended. Hyuk's shoulders deflated, "You never lend anyone money, though! So of course you'd be my last option". Hongbin gasped at the younger's accusation, "That's not true! You never asked!", Hongbin screeched. Hyuk snorted at Hongbin's response, "Because even before I ask, I know you'd say no", he stated sourly, "so are you gonna lend me some or not?", he finished, his voice a little hopeful. "Of course not! You just indirectly called me a bad friend so there's no way I'm lending you money!", Hongbin sneered before stepping aside to leave. Hyuk's jaw dropped and turned back to see Hongbin walking away. "This is exactly what I meant!!", Hyuk yelled across the hallway and Hongbin just waved his hand dismissively. Hyuk huffed in frustration before walking away, this time with Taekwoon in his mind.

 


Here's Hongbin's chapter! I'm not really happy with this one but I hope you guys like it (even just a liiiiittle bit).