The Three Tenants

[HIATUS] ROOM VI


Taekwoon was currently lying on his bed, his phone clutched to his ear. He was on the phone with his mother, she was informing him that his sister just gave birth so he was now an uncle. Taekwoon gasped and laughed in delight, clearly happy that he now had someone to unnecessarily spoil. His mother asked him when he could come visit since his sister was now in confinement so maybe he could come and spend some time with the newborn. Taekwoon let out a disappointed sigh when he realised he couldn't drop by anytime soon since he was in the middle of midterms. "In a week" he answered, "I'll come home straight after my last paper". His mother hummed in agreement, wished him good luck and hung up. Taekwoon stared at the ceiling, his rare smile apparent on his face. He had always like kids and considered them as angels. They were pure and untainted, they were also unaware of the existence of taxes, study loans and midterms. Taekwoon got up and went to his study table, plopping down. He opened his Economics book and started studying, his eagerness to meet his nephew fuelling him.


2 hours later, Taekwoon's eyes started straining and the words on his Economics book became blur. He figured that he needed coffee, and even though it was 2 in the evening, Taekwoon consoled himself with the fact that it was always morning somewhere else in the world. He went to the kitchen and opened the cabinet they used to placed coffee, tea and the likes and was met with disappointment, they had run out of coffee powder. He rummaged through the  cabinet to check if there was any extra bottle he had purchased for times like these and was again disappointed. He saw some instant packets and contemplated for a while. Those didn't  work for him anymore. He was an avid coffee drinker and his body was already immune to instant coffee, since he used to drink it a lot whenever he pulled an all-nighter during his high school days. He decided against it and went back to his room to retrieve his wallet and the house key. Thinking that he needed the caffeine and a break from studying anyway, he decided to go for a quick grocery run.

His path was however blocked by Ken, the latter staring at him with shining eyes. Taekwoon tilted his head in confusion. "Are you going out?" Ken asked, weirdly eager and Taekwoon knew that tone. The boy probably wanted him to buy stuff, and Taekwoon honestly didn't mind doing some errands for his house mates, but Ken never paid him back. Taekwoon used to let it go, because he figured making a big deal out of it would jeopardise their relationship. But he was starting to think that Ken was just taking advantage of his silence.

"What do you want this time?" Taekwoon asked, voice laced with skeptic. Ken grinned and draped his arm on Taekwoon's broad shoulders, "Those strawberry jelly candy you bought last time and Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey, the big tub not the small one" Taekwoon gaped at his house mate, "Those are expensive!", he grumbled, obviously not wanting to spend that much, he had only wanted to buy coffee anyways. "Yeah, and you're loaded" Jaehwan replied soullessly. Taekwoon hissed, "I'm not buying anything unless you give me money". "Ah I'll pay you back later" Jaehwan answered and left to the living room, skipping. Taekwoon sighed, there was no way that boy was going to pay him back.

Just when he was about to leave and close the front door, Ravi called for him. "Could you help me buy some red bull?" He asked, hand extended to pass Taekwoon some cash. At that point, Taekwoon decided that he liked Ravi the most out of all people in the apartment.


Ken was sitting in the living room, wasting his day away. It was a Friday and he didn't have any classes on Fridays. Taekwoon had just left to run some errands and Ravi was in his room, studying for his History test tomorrow. Ken thought it was kinda cruel of the lecturer to hold a test on a Saturday, but Ravi's lecturer was well known for being ruthless on his students. Hongbin and Hyuk were still at the University, either in class or just loitering around with their friends. Hakyeon on the other hand had left to Changwon yesterday night to see his family. All that summed up to Ken being alone, which explained why he was in the living room, watching variety shows alone, not miserable, but almost.

His phone, which was placed on the coffee table buzzed and Ken quickly stretched his body from the couch to grab it. "You want to join us clubbing, tonight?" The text read. It was from Yixing, an exchange student from China. Ken wasn't particularly close with him, but they shared a few classes and sometimes hung out together. Ken figured that the 'us' Yixing was referring to in his text meant his little clique that consisted of 3 other boys. Ken decided that a night out with the boys wouldn't inflict any harm and it wasn't like he was doing anything beneficial at home in the first place, so he texted the Chinese boy back, accepting his invitation.


Ravi was currently in his room, laying on his bed with History books and worksheets surrounding him. History wasn't his major, but it was a compulsory subject for one semester. Had he known that History would be a pain in the (and the head, oh, especially the head), he wouldn't have chosen it. He had been locking himself in his room since morning, not wanting any kind of distraction (especially since Ken was around) and even though he really, really wanted it to work, it clearly wasn't. He had been memorising facts since morning and it felt like every time he memorised a new one, the fact he earlier memorised just disappeared from his head. It was killing him slowly, and his test was tomorrow. He picked up his phone and texted his friend, Kai, curious to know about his progress and if he was doing any better.

"Have you finished studying?"
"Studying for what?"
"History test? Tomorrow?"
""

And with just that, Ravi knew that Kai wasn't doing any better. He felt somewhat relieved. Even though he himself was going to go down the drain tomorrow, at least now he had a friend to go with. Totally #friendshipgoals, he thought, internally chuckling.

 


 

Quick update. The other three will make an appearance in the next chapter I promise n_n