Han Sanghyuk: University Life

[HIATUS] ROOM VI

 

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

Hyuk's alarm blared throughout the room and he got up groggily. Hyuk looked at the bed placed opposite from his through his sleepy eyes and saw that it was empty, bed sheet already made. He shared the room with Taekwoon and he was so grateful for it. The latter was fairly neat (not as neat as Hongbin) but most importantly, Taekwoon didn't really bother him unless necessary. When Hyuk first moved in, he shared a room with Hakyeon and to say that it was horrible would be an understatement. Hakyeon was not only noisy (especially at night), he also placed his belogings everywhere, making the room messy and hard for Hyuk to find his own.

Hakyeon would also make Hyuk massage him whenever he was tired, not minding if Hyuk himself was tired too. "You're the youngest and I'm the oldest, you know how it goes" Hakyeon had said when Hyuk complained and confronted him about it when they were still rooming together. "That's a very old fashioned way of thinking, the world has evolved" Hyuk rebutted, ready to spout his side of the argument (he may or may not have gone through some points with Ken), but his plan didn't even manage to take place when Hakyeon just told him to keep massaging and fell asleep whilst at it. A few weeks later, Hyuk managed to convince Taekwoon to hold a family meeting where they all gathered in the living room, with Taekwoon asking if any of them wanted to switch rooms. It turned out that almost all of them had complaints about their own roommates; Ken couldn't stand Ravi's snoring, Taekwoon was annoyed with Hongbin's cleaning methods, and Hyuk was just.... tired of Hakyeon.

Taekwoon decided to room with Hyuk and his excuse to the others was "I brought him in, so it's only fair" when actually, Hyuk had (read: bribed) promised to treat him lunch for a week straight if he chose him, and Taekwoon was not one to refuse food, especially free food. Hongbin didn't want to room with Ken since he was headache inducing, the same excuse applied to Hakyeon as well so the older boy too, was out. That left him Ravi, and he decided that snoring was at least bearable. Oh how he regretted that now. Ken was left with no choice and he personally felt betrayed by Hyuk, they had went through why Hakyeon was a horrid room mate together and the youngin decided to just toss him away like that. After a few weeks however, it was Hakyeon who grew tired of Ken.


After freshening himself up, Hyuk sashayed through the hallway and made a pit stop to the kitchen for a dose of caffeine. He greeted Hakyeon who was currently eating cereal a good morning. Hyuk snagged an energy bar from the fridge when he noticed that Taekwoon made salad for breakfast. He didn't understand why Taekwoon even bothered making extra when he knew those leaves would just end up wilting on the plate itself, considering that no one else in the house would want to eat goat breakfast in the morning. Hyuk said goodbye to Hakyeon and took the subway to his University.


Hyuk was in Journalism when his phone buzzed yet again, this time alerting him that he received a text. It was a text from Jimin and it read "lunch on you, Frost cafe". Jimin was his sidekick, they'd been stuck together ever since high school and although Jimin was more vocal and socially active than Hyuk was, they went together like yin and yang. The two of them placed a bet on a football game last week and deeming that it was too unethical (they sometimes liked to act like they were morally upright) to bet on actual money, they settled for food instead. Hyuk unfortunately lost and now owed Jimin lunch at the café he would frankly avoid if he could. It was fairly expensive for a broke University student like him and he was positive Jimin picked that cafe purposely to irritate him. But a bet was a bet, and Hyuk had too much pride to chicken out.


He almost dozed off in Psychology when his eyes caught sight of his little crush who was sitting a few rows away. He had never spoken to her despite being in the same class. He was also convinced that their professor and  the universe were against him and his potential lover; main reason being that even though they have had various class group projects before, he was never once grouped with her. Her name was Seulgi and to him, she was possibly the prettiest lady he had ever laid eyes on. Hyuk wasn't that shallow to only consider looks when liking someone but Seulgi was not only pleasing to the eyes, she was also pleasant to talk to (not that he could confirm to that fact but that's besides the point). He sighed dreamily and was nudged at the side by Sungjae, whose eyes were glinting mockingly. Hyuk made a face at him and looked away, this time focusing on the facts presented in front of him.


"Dude we bet on lunch, not the whole menu!" Hyuk hissed and snatched the menu away from Jimin, fearing that the boy would go overboard, consequently making him penniless. "Okay, that's enough for now" Jimin said kindly to the waiter and grinned at his friend. "That should be enough, . You ordered as if we were about to feed a family!" Hyuk said and looked at his friend with fury he didn't even bother to hid.
"Glare all you want, you're still paying".

Much to Hyuk's surprise, both of them managed to finish 3 different bowls of pasta, a serving of mushroom soup each and a small pan of beef pizza. The food was definitely good and left Hyuk's tummy bloated and happy. His wallet on the other hand, not so much.


Hyuk went back to the apartment straight away after lunch, since he didn't have any classes left for the day. He was also worried that if he hung around with Jimin anymore longer, more money would flow out from his wallet. He was greeted with absolute silence and although calming, it was eerie as the hallway leading to the living room was dark. All of the lights were switched off and all of the curtains were drawn closed. He safely assumed that no one was at home and after putting his stuff in his room, he made his way to the living room and switched on the television. Not long after 10 minutes he sat down, he dozed off.

Hakyeon walked into the house to see Hyuk sleeping with his mouth wide open. He tip toed his way to the younger one as precaution since he did not want to wake Hyuk up. He snapped a picture and by the time he was in front of his room, the photo he just took was already posted on Facebook for the world to see.

 


 

This is a Hyuk centred chapter and I'm still on the fence on which member to focus on next so if any of you have any recommendation, do let me know ^^;