Jung Taekwoon: Cat-sitting

[HIATUS] ROOM VI

 

Taekwoon coddled the little kitten he found, cooing at it while he was at it. He was on his way back from his regular coffee shop when he found a kitten by the roadside, whose eyes were searching and face obviously frightened by all the bustling that was happening in the city. Taekwoon pressed the kitten closely to him and the latter purred softly in response. Taekwoon looked at the apartment premise that was near and glanced around, trying to locate if there was anyone who looked frantic and in search but he was met with none. As a matter of fact, no one seemed to care about the kitten. Taekwoon looked down at the kitten hugged against his chest and patted its head, smoothing out the fur and surveyed its body. Luckily for Taekwoon, there was a collar with a tag attached to the kitten's body and Taekwoon flipped the metal tag over and sighed in relief when there were words engraved on it. It clearly indicated that the kitten had an owner and finding that person wouldn't be so difficult now, especially when a contact number was engraved on the tag. Taekwoon shoved his unoccupied hand into his pocket and retrieved his phone, and dialled the number.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

Taekwoon called the number thrice but his efforts basically went down the drain. Taekwoon let out a sigh and looked at the kitten again, who was now looking at Taekwoon expectantly with its big, doe-like green eyes. "Your owner isn't picking up-,", Taekwoon flipped the metal tag around again, "Coco", Taekwoon smiled, "you have a cute name", he said and ruffled the kitten's head which the latter purred at in response, a sign she was liking it. Taekwoon glanced around the premise again and decided that he would bring the kitten home, for temporary shelter and safety. Before walking away though, he had texted the number to inform that the cat was with him and the owner was welcome to call him and pick up the cat whenever.


Taekwoon came home to an empty house. He put down the cat at the living room and the furry thing ran around the room excitedly. Taekwoon smiled at the sight before picking up his phone to dial someone's number.

"Where are you?" He asked the recipient through the phone. "Could you buy some cat food and bring it back home? The ones specialised for kittens", Taekwoon said and he received some questions in response. "I'll explain when you get back, but first the food. Buy a packet of dry and wet one", he commanded and Taekwoon could hear Hakyeon grumbling before hanging up.

Taekwoon looked down at his feet to see the kitten it and finding the action ticklish, Taekwoon leaned down to its level and picked the kitten up, and the latter meowed in response, protesting Taekwoon's action. Taekwoon laughed before walking to the couch to sit down. The kitten was now on his lap, all snuggled up. "I'll feed you in a bit. We have to wait for Hakyeon", Taekwoon explained to the kitten. Sure, the furry wouldn't have known what Taekwoon was saying but that was the one of the perks of having a cat, you could talk to them aimlessly and although unresponsive, it still felt great.

The front door clicked open and Taekwoon turned his head anticipating. He pouted when he saw that it was just Ken. "Woah, you're that unhappy to see me?", Ken asked offended. He had just come home from Uni and instead of having someone greeting him all smiley and whatnot, he was served with a disappointed pout from none other than Taekwoon. The latter huffed at Ken's question and looked down on his lap to see the kitten already sleeping on it, all comfortable in her indecent position. Ken followed Taekwoon's gaze and let out an audible gasp when he saw the kitten. He scampered towards Taekwoon and kneeled down next to the sofa, before softly patting the kitten's head. The kitten purred and her body vibrated softly, and Ken smiled at the response. "You adopted a cat?", Ken asked, his hand smoothing the kitten's head and Taekwoon shook his head. "I found her near the coffee shop I always go to", Taekwoon explained and Ken mindlessly nodded at the clarification before gasping, "Doesn't that mean you stole it?", he asked alarmed. Taekwoon hit Ken's head, "No, that means I'm sheltering this little cutie for a while,", and Ken wanted to rebut but Taekwoon continued talking, "I've already texted the owner, he or she will probably come later". Ken hummed at Taekwoon's surprisingly long explanation and sat back up. "Do you want the owner to be a woman? Maybe you guys get to date and share this little furry together", he asked mockingly and Taekwoon sneered at him. Ken chuckled before patting the sleeping kitten's head again and being his mischievous self, he patted Taekwoon's head too before running off to his room. Taken aback, Taekwoon just glared at Ken's cowardly retreating back before huffing to himself.


The front door was opened loudly and Taekwoon jerked at the noise in surprise. He was still sitting on the couch, his eyes focused on the television and his hand busy patting the (still) sleeping kitty. Hakyeon came in panting and Taekwoon tilted his head in question, "Did you buy the food?", he asked, not really curious as to why Hakyeon was out of breath. The latter looked up from the floor begrudgingly, "Geeeeez. Thanks for asking if I was okay, that was kind of you", Hakyeon mockingly said, "I'm okay, by the way", he finished, sneering. Taekwoon raised his brow in question before reaching his hand out towards Hakyeon, motioning Hakyeon to pass the plastic bag of food in his hand to him. Hakyeon made his way to shorten the distance between them and gasped when he saw the animal on Taekwoon's lap. "Wait wait wait", he said in a panic voice, "does the landlord allow us to keep pets?", he asked, rather frantic. The rent for the apartment was reasonable and the distance from the city, public transport along with their Uni wasn't that far, and he didn't want to risk getting kicked out over a cat. Taekwoon rolled his eyes, "She's not mine, the owner will probably pick her up later", he explained airily. He didn't know if the owner was even aware that the cat was missing, since his phone hadn't beeped nor rang ever since he got home. Hakyeon raised a brow skeptically before flinging the plastic bag to Taekwoon and the latter successfully evaded the impact, thanks to his quick reflex. "Just make sure it's out by tonight", Hakyeon warned before leaning down to pat the kitten, "No hard feelings, kitty. I just don't want to end up homeless", Hakyeon explained before leaving to his room. Taekwoon rolled his eyes.


Taekwoon's phone suddenly vibrated and he quickly went to retrieve it. His mood deflated when he saw that it was just a text from Ravi, the latter asking him if he wanted to join the 'younger tenants' for a night out. He quickly replied saying no and flung his phone on the couch before sighing. The kitten had woken up a few hours ago, and had already eaten and was now sleeping again, only this time on the cold tiled floor. That being said, it had also been hours since Taekwoon had left the owner a message and he still hadn't received a reply. Taekwoon had always wanted a kitten but since the landlord didn't permit pets in the house, he diminished his intention to own one. His phone vibrated again and assuming that it was Ravi, Taekwoon lazily reached for his phone. He picked up his phone to see that an unknown number was calling him. Thinking nothing of it, he picked it up.

"Hello?", Taekwoon greeted the caller.

"Oh god", the caller, who was a woman gasped. "Are you Taekwoon?", she asked, her voice frantic.

"Yeah. Who's speaking?", Taekwoon asked back, a little puzzled.

"Is my cat with you? Coco?", the caller asked, ignoring Taekwoon's question.

"Yeah. Are you the owner?", Taekwoon asked, a little relieved that the owner finally called him.

"Oh god, yes, yes I am!", she sighed in relief. "I'm so sorry, I was at work the whole evening so I didn't manage to check my phone", she explained through the phone and Taekwoon stupidly nodded, unaware of the fact that she couldn't see his acknowledgement.

"Hello? Are you still there?" The girl asked and Taekwoon gasped. "Sorry sorry, yeah I'm still here", he said sheepishly.

"Oh. Uh, can I pick my cat up?", she asked hesitantly and Taekwoon frowned at her hesitance. "Of course, it's your cat. She's sleeping now, though", Taekwoon explained calmly and he heard the woman hum from the other end.

"That's expected, she's always sleeping", she airily said, "where do I go to pick her up?", she asked.

"You live near Frost, right? The coffee shop?", Taekwoon asked and the girl hummed in response. "My apartment's a little farther away so I'll just go to your place and drop her off", Taekwoon suggested.

"Oh no it's fine!", the girl protested. "You've already done so much, so I can't trouble you anymore further and make you travel all the way here, I'll pick her up from your place", she insisted.

"I can't make you travel all the way either, and it's more dangerous for a woman to do so. Don't worry, Coco didn't give me any trouble and neither will this", Taekwoon calmly explained. "And besides, I need to go to Frost, for my dose of coffee", he further insisted.

The girl sighed. "Alright, but as a token of gratitude, I'll buy you your coffee", she said, "and I don't take no for an answer", she further insisted and Taekwoon chuckled. "Sure", he said and the girl chuckled back in response, before saying "good".


Taekwoon hung up the phone and made his way to his room to retrieve his wallet. He wasn't really going to let the woman pay for his coffee, as it was simply an excuse he pulled out from his to convince her. He just didn't want the girl to travel all the way here, he knew his neighbourhood and although safe, it just didn't sit well with his conscience to let a girl come all the way here, especially at night. Taekwoon made his way back to the living room and picked the cat up. The kitten was awake now, but apparently still dazed, since her body immediately limped when Taekwoon softly pressed her against his chest. Taekwoon made his way out and walked in the night breeze, with a kitten closely hugged.


Taekwoon was sitting inside Frost, the coffee shop. The kitten was placed on his lap and was sleeping (again). He had texted the owner regarding his whereabout and had received a "Coming in 10" as a reply. Taekwoon had also bought himself a cup of hot vanilla latte to help him warm himself up (besides the fact that it was the perfect excuse to reject the girl's offer to buy him one). He quietly hummed to himself and looked at the now almost empty coffee shop. It was already 8 in the evening so other than him, there were only a few students hanging around, all busy with what Taekwoon assumed were assignments. It wasn't a rare sight, as Taekwoon also practiced the activity. Strong coffee and quiet ambience helped him study and the coffee shop he was at was actually a shop he frequently visited for studying purposes. Other than that, his crush also worked there part time so that was more of a reason to study there and help increase their sales. Taekwoon glanced to the counter and saw that it wasn't his crush working behind it this time, but Taekwoon already knew that, he had already memorised her working days and hours.


The door bell dinged and in came a girl, all frantic and out of breath. The person who was working the counter, looked up from the cash register and tilted his head in question. "Sojin? Why are you back?", he confusedly asked. The girl had already worked her shift earlier today and had gone back home an hour ago so why was she back?

Sojin huffed, exhausted. She had ran all the way here from her apartment. "I'm not here to work, I'm meeting someone", she explained to her coworker, who in return smirked at her vague explanation. "You brought your date here? You cheapskate! Do you want to use your worker's discount or something?", her coworker accused mockingly and Sojin glared at him. "No idiot, I'm here to pick up my cat!", she huffed annoyed. "Speaking of which, did a guy bring in a cat with him just now?", Sojin asked while glancing around. Her coworker hummed in response, "Yeah, he's near the window", he informed before wiggling his eyebrows suggestively, "I'm guessing that's not the only kitty he's getting, yes?", he finished with a smirk. Sojin scrunched up her face in disgust, "Oh shove a sock in it, Woohyun!", Sojin sneered before walking away from the counter, and from her idiotic coworker.

Sojin glanced around the cafe and spotted the window seat. He quickly made her way there before gasping to herself. The guy sitting there was actually their regular customer, and one who had pretty much copped the seat as his and one she personally found intimidating. It was the only seat he sat at and knowing this, all the other customers had somehow steered away from sitting there, all somehow acknowledging the guy's territory. But Sojin knew better, they probably thought the guy was intimidating too, just like her so they tried to not cross his way. Sojin softly coughed to announce her presence and sat down on the couch opposite his. She glanced at the couch next to him and saw her cat, Coco, all snuggled up and sleeping soundly. She tsk-ed at the sight.


Taekwoon was busy playing with his phone when he sensed a presence in front of him. Looking up from his phone, he immediately froze when he saw the person. It was his crush. His crush was sitting directly in front of him. It was terrifying. He had never been this close to her and seeing her so close in all her glory was overwhelming to him.

Sojin was looking at the intimidating boy directly into his eyes and he was just staring at her quietly and it was honestly terrifying. Why wasn't he talking? God.

 

"Uh, hey. You okay?", Sojin said and that seemed to snapped Taekwoon out of his daze. He cleared his throat sheepishly and nodded, his eyes directed everywhere but her. Sojin frowned at his action, he seemed to hate her or something. She decided not to dwell on it though, she was only here to pick up her cat anyways.

"I'm here to pick up my cat. Sorry for all the trouble I caused you", she said slowly, "I'll leave now, again, thanks", she finished while getting up from her sit, her cat already in her arms and Taekwoon finally glanced her way. She looked at Taekwoon's confused face before remembering something, "Oh right, your coffee. What do you want?", she quietly asked, she was really intimidated by him so she just wanted to get this over and done with. Taekwoon tilted his head in question before glancing down to the table and Sojin eyes followed his gaze. "Oh", she said, her voice laced with disappointment. "It's fine, you're a regular customer so you'll come again, right?", she asked, her eyes on Taekwoon again and the latter nodded at her. She smiled at the act of acknowledgement, "Then your next order will be on the house. Again, thank you so much, I'll leave you alone now", she said and quickly left before Taekwoon could even respond.

Taekwoon let out a breath he didn't even know he held. He smacked himself on the head, feeling terribly stupid for not even responding to his own crush. In his defence, he was just overwhelmed and the whole interaction made him mute for a while, appalled at the fact that his crush talked to him. Oh god, Taekwoon gasped to himself. His crush talked to him. SHE TALKED TO HIM. She knew his existence now. The sudden realisation made him smile and he couldn't wait to go back and get his coffee next time.

。。。

Sojin walked back to the counter to say bye to Woohyun. "Where's the guy?", he asked Sojin and the latter sullenly shrugged in response. "Aw, he's not getting any, then?", he said sympathetic and Sojin threw the dirty rag that was on the counter to his face before leaving the cafe.

 


 

Hello! Here's Taekwoon's chapter.  I already made references of him and his little crush in Chapter 10 so go back if you're confused!

Next chapter will be Hakyeon's and the regular chapters will continue after. I'm trying to finish the member focused ones first. See you!

Also this chapter is not edited so, sorry for the mistakes!