Lee Jaehwan: A Day Out

[HIATUS] ROOM VI

 

DOUBLE UPDATE! 

 

It was 8 in the morning and Ken was pumped. He was going to the theme park with Yixing and his gang today. The two of them surprisingly bonded well when they went out for clubbing last week. Yixing was a pretty chill guy, Ken found. He didn't talk much but when he did, it was usually funny. Ken especially liked how whenever he made a joke (even when it's completely uncalled for), Yixing would laugh and clap his hands like a seal. It made Ken feel like he was a gag man, and honestly, it was an ego boost more than anything. Ken also became more well acquainted with Yixing's friends, or he called 'little clique', which consisted of Tao, whose looks were very misleading in Ken's opinion. Jongdae was the snarky one, and Ken spent the night bantering with him good naturedly. The last guy looked like a cat, he was pretty quiet for the most part but sometimes supplied sarcastic remarks of his own and he went by Xiumin. Ken genuinely thought they were a fun bunch, so when Yixing called him asking if he wanted to join them again today, Ken said yes almost immediately.

"Where are you off to?" Hakyeon quipped, looking at Ken scrutinisingly. The latter was dressed up quite casually, wearing a plain white V neck and a pair of skinny jeans, completed with his favourite black Converse. And to Hakyeon, the outfit just screamed date. 

"Out" Ken shrugged. 

"Oh my god" Hyuk gasped.

Ken turned around and look at the younger quizzically. "What?" He asked Hyuk, who was gaping. "You're going for a date, aren't you?" Hyuk stated accusingly. He didn't think that out of all people in the apartment, Ken would be the first to go on a date. Like seriously, there was Hongbin and even he hadn't gone on a date yet. "Right? That's what I thought too!" Hakyeon laughed, "so who's the unlucky girl?" he continued. Ken scrunched his face in disgust, slightly offended. "I'm going out with my friends" He said, looking at the two seriously. Hyuk just wiggled his eyebrows and Hakyeon continued staring at him, obviously not convinced. Ken groaned at their response (or lack thereof) and decided to leave the house before the others join in. "He has friends?" Hakyeon asked, looking at Hyuk.


"Hey, man!" Yixing greeted Ken and lifted his hand up for a high five. Ken smiled and returned the gesture. The both of them were currently in front of the theme park. "Where are the others?" Ken asked, looking around. "Oh they're on their way" Yixing replied while draping his hand on Ken's shoulders. "Should we buy the ticket first, then?" Ken asked and Yixing nodded. "5 tickets please, all day all rides combo" Ken told the cashier, who was a boy that looked slightly younger than him. "Rough night?" Yixing asked the boy, voice laced with concern, and the boy nodded his head furiously while clicking on his computer, typing in their ticket. Yixing chuckled and passed him an energy bar, saying "You need this more than I do". The boy's face brightened up a bit after seeing the bar. He finished printing their ticket and thanked Yixing for it. Yixing just waved him dismissively, and Ken watched the the scene in admiration. He had always known Yixing was a nice kid, but he didn't think it was to this extent, especially towards a stranger. Ken was about to pay for the tickets but Yixing was faster. The latter said goodbye to the boy and both of them made their way to the entrance, where the others were already waiting.

"Hey, sorry we're late" Jongdae said and Ken waved him away. Xiumin who was at the side sheepishly smiled and Tao was too distracted by the rides to even spare Ken a glance. "How much were the tickets?" Ken asked Yixing, suddenly remembering. Yixing just dismissed him and said "It's okay, take it as a friendship treat, or something". Jongdae snickered, "Are you bribing him into this friendship?", he sarcastically asked. Yixing turned to look at Ken seriously, "Is it working?" he asked, face void of emotion so Ken couldn't tell if he was joking or not. Ken stuttered an "Uh..." when Yixing suddenly laughed at his dumbfounded face and the others too, joined along. 
"Are you all done laughing like maniacs? Can we go in now?" Tao suddenly said, making the others laugh some more, this time joined by Ken.

The five of them spent their entire evening at the theme park, riding almost all of the rides. Ken's favourite ride was the Mummy Ride, which was a 4D ride and they had all sort of effects, making the ride seemed more real and thrilling. Tao's reaction at the Haunted House was his highlight of the day. Who knew the boy who looked like an assassin would cling onto him throughout the whole walkthrough and his screaming, man, Ken thought he was going to end up deaf. But he knew he wasn't (yet) since he could still hear Tao screeching every now and then even after they had left the Haunted House.

 

They had left the theme park an hour ago, and were currently at a diner for dinner. They were all famished since they didn't want to eat at any of the restaurants inside the theme park. The prices were so hiked up, obviously with intention to rip foreigners off and since they were students, they decided to dine elsewhere. 

"Ah today was great" Jongdae quipped, while eating his burger sloppily. All of them hummed in response, too busy shoving food down their throat. "So Ken, would you join us again? Or are you too traumatised after dealing with Tao alone for more than 20 minutes?" Jongdae asked, and Xiumin snorted in response. Tao narrowed his eyes at Jongdae and the latter mimicked his screaming from earlier that day, exaggerating them a bit and the former rolled his eyes. "I'm sure Ken is more annoyed at your face, Dae-dae" Tao said, smiling, satisfied with his subpar comeback. "Because it's too perfect?" Jongdae replied, making Tao gag and the rest laughed at the two. "I'm traumatised, but I'll join you guys again for sure" Ken replied, making them all smile. Yixing patted Ken's back and they all continued eating, with Jongdae and Tao throwing fries at each other every now and then.


It was already 10 in the evening and all 5 of them were still at the diner, food already finished but they were still talking and laughing non stop. Ken was distracted from Xiumin's story when his phone suddenly vibrated in his pocket. He had put his phone on vibrate since morning because he didn't think anybody would reach for him, so he was kind of shocked to see he had 7 unread messages and 3 missed calls, all of which he wasn't aware of. He opened his call log to see that all of the calls were from Hakyeon and decided to check the messages first before calling him back.

"Where are you?" - Hakyeon, 6.30 pm

"It's late, what kind of date are you on?" - Hakyeon, 7.03 pm

"Kid, listen, I know you're an adult but answer my call. I just want to know your whereabouts" - Hakyeon, 7.45 pm

"Ken, please answer Hakyeon's calls. He's worried and even I'm worried, you've never been out this long. Text me back once you've read this" - Taekwoon, 8.00 pm

"Hyung???? U ok???" - Ravi, 8.15 pm

"I know we ignore u a lot but stop ignoring us like this. Reply" - Hongbin, 8.30pm

"Ure with ur date aren't u? Ure really throwing away years of friendship just for a girl?? I cannot believe u, hyung" - Hyuk, 9.00pm

Ken snorted at his housemates' dramatic texts and texted Hakyeon informing that he's okay, trusting him to announce it to the rest once he read it. He received a response almost immediately and it said "DUDE. We thought we lost you, but ok come back soon xoxo" and Ken sniggered. "They really care about you, huh?" Yixing suddenly quipped next to him, obviously had read the whole thing. Ken just smiled in response and told the rest he needed to leave or else his housemates would murder him. They all said their goodbyes and Ken took the subway home.


"I'm home" Ken shouted from the door and he was met with silence. He walked to the living room to see all 5 of his roommates sitting in a circle, all looking at him scarily. Ken looked at Taekwoon who was sitting there looking like he really didn't want to be involved but was forced to anyways, and raised his eyebrow in question, Taekwoon just shrugged.

"Sit" Hyuk commanded, patting the empty spot beside him. Ken hesitantly complied and sat, and looked at the rest. "What's this about guys?" He asked, rather scared because damn, all of them except for Taekwoon were looking at him like predators.

"We're here to give you a piece of our mind. This is an intervention, Ken" Hakyeon said, as if reading out a script.

"On what?" Ken asked, tilting his head questioningly.

"You can't just ditch us for a girl! That's not cool! We have bro codes!" Hyuk suddenly said exasperatedly, startling Ken.

"Girl? I was with my friends!" Ken replied, "who were all guys!", he stressed.

"Please, you don't have friends" Hongbin said, his face straight.

The four of them (Taekwoon had left the scene after deciding that it was pointless), spent the night lecturing Ken on 'bro codes' and Ken, who was dead tired physically and mentally (he tried explaining numerous times), just grunted throughout the whole 'intervention'. In the end though, they all ended up sleeping on the floor together, bodies tangled.

 

 

 

Here's a Ken centred chapter! I had fun writing this one, probably my favourite so far.