[REQUEST] Han Sanghyuk: No Filter

[HIATUS] ROOM VI

 

Hyuk fiddled with the plastic bag that contained a living organism inside it. He had gone out with Jimin earlier that day and had passed by a pet shop when they were on their way back. Getting somewhat intrigued, the two friends made their way inside and was immediately fascinated by the many creatures that were displayed.

Jimin had somehow managed to persuade Hyuk into buying a Siamese fighting fish and Hyuk only relented because for one, Jimin was a persistent little , and that bein said, the latter wouldn't shut up until his demands are met. Hyuk also succumbed into the persuasion because well, the fish only costed 8 bucks and it was, well, cheap. Considerably cheap for a broke University student like him.

"I don't know why you even want me to buy this-,", Hyuk said while swinging the plastic bag in front of his friend's face, "it's not like you can pay him a visit or anything", Hyuk grumbled as soon as they left the pet shop. Jimin chuckled, and Hyuk suddenly found the sound extremely annoying today. "It just looked really majestic, look at its colour and fins! Of course I want you to buy it", Jimin quipped back cheerfully, almost convincingly, but Hyuk snorted at the answer. "Then why didn't you buy it?", Hyuk asked and Jimin just gave him a sheepish smile in return.


So here Hyuk was, back in the apartment, sitting in the living room. He had just transferred the poor fish from its temporary home (which was the cheap plastic bag) to a better, tiny aquarium with red rim- which Jimin chose because 'It matches the fish's fins!'. Hyuk watched as the fish swam around in its now no longer restricted surrounding and sighed to himself. He should probably stop listening to Jimin so much or better yet, stop being friends with him altogether.

The front door clicked open and in came a tired looking Hakyeon and normally, he would have just walked straight to his room to sleep the exhaustion away but when he caught a glimpse of the youngest tenant, he stopped by to say hi. Hyuk waved back to Hakyeon in acknowledgement but immediately stiffen when he heard the latter gasped.

"Is that- a fish?!", Hakyeon said while marching over to where Hyuk and the poor fish was.

"Yeap!", Hyuk answered back, trying to sound unaffected. Hakyeon loved animals, but Hyuk knew the older boy was a little strict when it came to the household's rules which the landlord had briefed them about when they moved in. And Hyuk was positive that 'no pets allowed' was one of it.

"Han Sanghyuk", Hakyeon said scathingly and Hyuk looked up to the former sheepishly. "I know I know! But it was an impulse buy!", he tried to justify but even he knew it was a dumb move and excuse. Hakyeon tilted his head condescendingly, and Hyuk audibly gulped. "I'll take full responsibility, okay? Just please let me take care of it", Hyuk pleaded with his best puppy eyes and Hakyeon huffed in annoyance before shaking his head. "Fine," he sighed, "just don't get caught". Hyuk's face significantly brightened and he jumped up from his sitting position to hug Hakyeon and the latter staggered back a bit, "Geeeez. All this affection just for a fish? I'm kinda hurt, Han Sanghyuk", Hakyeon chided before hugging the younger back aggressively, purposely squeezing the life out of him.


Hyuk decided to place the little aquarium on the kitchen counter, because there was nowhere else he could put it on. He rearranged the aquarium a few times to 'match' the kitchen's interior before a voice interrupted him.

"What are you doing on the kitchen counter?" Taekwoon quipped from behind and Hyuk turned around, flustered. "I bought a pet!", he excitedly said while shuffling his body away, trying to show Taekwoon the aquarium. If there was anyone who'd be more understanding, it'd be Taekwoon.

Taekwoon tilted his head before letting out a snort. "A fighting fish? Really?", he said and Hyuk frowned. "Why not?", the latter asked, a little offended. "Nothing, but what made you buy it?", Taekwoon asked, he was now near the fish and currently trying to feed it. Hyuk watched as Taekwoon sprinkle the food in and watched as the fish wagged its fins, swimming up to eat. "Jimin made me buy it", Hyuk answered plainly and Taekwoon raised his eyebrow before turning to Hyuk.

"Don't be a victim of peer pressure", Taekwoon chided before patting Hyuk's back, and left the kitchen. Hyuk frowned again, it was definitely not peer pressure, he thought to himself. He was just being a good friend. Not peer pressure. No. No.


Ken came home later that evening and kept asking (pressuring, really) Hyuk if the fish had a name and Hyuk became so annoyed, he told Ken to just name it for him. The older boy was apparently more than prepared and honoured to do so.

"Keyonce!", Ken stated and Hyuk raised his eyebrow up in question. "What?", he asked, "seriously?", and Ken just nodded his head furiously. "Look at it! It's so majestic, and beautiful, just like Beyoncé so it's fitting!", Ken explained while tapping the aquarium glass, trying to catch the fish's attention.

"Then shouldn't it be just Beyoncé then, why Keyonce?", Hyuk asked, confused. Ken turned his gaze away from the fish and looked at Hyuk before sighing dramatically, his hand on his chest for extra measure, "He's also beautiful and majestic like me, Hyuk", he stated, "so that's why it's Keyonce, Ke for Ken". Hyuk just snorted in disgust before throwing a pillow at the older boy, and the pillow hit the target perfectly.


"Good night, Keyonce", Hyuk wished later that night before turning the lights off.


。。。


"Why is there a fish floating on the kitchen counter?", Ravi quizzically asked the next morning. Hyuk groggily got up from his bed and squinted his eyes, "That's my pet", he answered sleepily before letting out a yawn.

"Uh... I think your pet is gone?", Ravi muttered hesitantly and Hyuk's eyes snapped up to look at the boy- who was leaning against the door, his sleepiness long gone. "What do you mean gone?", Hyuk asked, his voice laced with panic. Ravi cleared his throat, "Like gone- to the other side gone?", he said carefully and Hyuk face contorted into one of horror before running out of his room.


The moment Hyuk stepped into the kitchen, he gasped out loud. Hongbin was already at sink, cleaning out the aquarium and his pet was nowhere in sight. "Where's Keyonce?!", Hyuk screamed frantically and Hongbin jumped up from the scream. "Key- what?! Is that his name?", Hongbin asked, his face scrunched up. Hyuk ignored him and pushed him away from the sink, his eyes searching and Hongbin sighed. "Did you flush it away?", Hyuk asked and Hongbin scoffed. "Of course not! I'm not that barbaric!", Hongbin huffed offended. He pointed his hand towards the dining table and Hyuk ran to the direction.

"Keyonce," he snorted, "what in the world", Hongbin shuddered before continuing to wash the tiny tank.


On the dining table laid his pet, and Hyuk's eyes watered at the sight. Hakyeon was sitting directly in front it, his face confused. Hyuk plopped down next to him and Hakyeon cleared his throat, "Hyuk, was the water filtered?". Hyuk gaped and turned to look at Hakyeon, his gaze off the fish. "You're supposed to filter the water?!", he squeaked and Hakyeon rubbed his forehead, already feeling a headache forming.

"Hyuk,", Ken started slowly and Hyuk looked up to look at the older boy who suddenly appeared out of nowhere. "What water did you even use in the tank yesterday?", Ken asked skeptically. Hyuk puffed out his cheeks, "Mineral water from my water bottle", he answered sullenly and Hakyeon sighed out loud while Ken just face palmed himself.

Taekwoon, who was watching the whole ordeal unfold made his way next to Hyuk and nudged the younger boy out of his stupor, "Ok, go flush-", he stopped to give Ken a pointed look, "-Keyonce away now". Hyuk sighed, "Can't we at least bury him?", Hyuk said, his voice small and Taekwoon just looked at him helplessly.

"No one does that, I think?", Ravi suddenly quipped and Hyuk pouted at the answer. "C'mon, I'll go do it with you", Ravi encouraged and Hyuk unwillingly stood up before taking his pet with him to the bathroom, Ravi tailing behind him.


Hyuk came back to the dining room with watery eyes and all the other tenants looked at him in alarm. They had never seen Hyuk cry nor show any type of vulnerable emotion, so this was surprising and new. Taekwoon followed the younger boy's movements till the latter sat down, his body slouched. Ravi, who had been walking behind Hyuk the whole time looked at Hakyeon, silently asking for help, his hands making wild gestures to further emphasise his point.

Hakyeon let out a cough, and all heads (aside from Hyuk's) turned to him, all wary. "Uh,", Hakyeon started hesitantly, he was the usually the cry baby and thus the one usually on the receiving end of consoling, never giving. He stopped talking and looked at Hongbin who was sitting next to Hyuk for help, his eyes pleading and the latter just rolled his eyes.

Hongbin made a face before slowly patting Hyuk's back, "It'll be okay", he said and he could hear Ravi snort next to Hakyeon. He turned his head to glare at Ravi and the latter just mockingly mimicked his earlier gestures to Hakyeon; which the elder reprimanded Ravi for.

"Maybe it was his time," Taekwoon suddenly said and Hyuk looked up to the older boy questioningly. "I mean-," Taekwoon continued, "I used to buy fish from pet shops too and they never lived up to more than 1 week", and Hyuk frowned. "Mine didn't even last a day", he said while pouting.

"That's because you didn't fil-", Hongbin countered but before he could even finish his sentence, he was smacked at the head by Hakyeon, who was now up from his seat and glaring daggers at Hongbin, telling him to shut up. Hongbin matched the glare with his own before puffing his cheeks out and Hakyeon sat back down.

"Never mind that," Taekwoon spoke up again, "learn from this and the next time you want to get a pet, do your research first" and Hyuk just nodded his head and the rest hummed, agreeing with Taekwoon.

"There are always other fishes in the sea", Ken joked, trying to light up the gloomy atmosphere but his plan backfired when all he received was not laughter, but glares (from all 5 other tenants) instead.

 


 

Chaotrope actually requested for a chapter where one of Hyuk's family member passes away and the members try to comfort him but I thought it was way too morbid and besides, this fic focuses mostly on humour and I kinda want it to stay that way.

But even so, this was the result of it! Even though it doesn't exactly fit your request, I hope you (and the others) still find this chapter the least bit entertaining. 

* Requests are closed

 

BTW GUYS?? A KEN SOLO??? I AM SO PUMPED