A Day Without Wifi

[HIATUS] ROOM VI

 

“Hyung, why isn't the wifi working?”

“Taekwoon hasn't gone to pay it yet”, Hakyeon answered nonchalantly, his eyes glued to the television, looking weirdly unbothered.

Hyuk pouted at the response.

“Is he home right now?” Hyuk asked, sounding urgent.

“Hm”, Hakyeon hummed, “He is home but I wouldn’t push him if I were you”, Hakyeon said, his eyes glued on the younger one now. “It’s finals week”, Hakyeon supplied, his eyebrow quirked and Hyuk shuddered. 

“What’s so important that you need to use the wifi now?” Hakyeon asked, his curiosity peaked.

“The new Naruto episode is coming out tonight so I want to stream it”, Hyuk explained, rather abashedly and Hakyeon rolled his eyes.

“I dare you to say to Taekwoon and see what he responds”

“That’s fine, I’ll just stream it tomorrow”, Hyuk answered with a defeated look.

 

Ken tried to load his Twitter feed for the 9th time but his timeline was still not refreshed. He exited the app to check if his phone was connected to the wifi and it showed that it was indeed, connected. He looked at his phone confused before an idea flickered in his head and Ken smiled at his smartness. He quickly got up from his bed and pranced to the living room

Hakyeon watched as Ken turned the modem off and on again and inwardly chuckled at the younger’s act.

Ken stood in from of the internet modem and check his phone again. His Twitter timeline was still not loading. He sighed before checking the modem and the plugs connected to it, just in case anything was unplugged.

“What are you doing?”, Hakyeon inquired from the sofa directly in front of Ken.

Ken turned to look at the eldest before sighing, “Something is wrong with the wifi”, he said, his face completely sullen and sad. “I tried to turn it off and turn it on again but it didn’t work, it usually does right?”, Ken finished before plopping himself down to Hakyeon.

“Hm, maybe it’s not working because we haven’t paid the bills yet?” Hakyeon said, his voice playful and Ken groaned in response.

“You could’ve told me that earlier hyung!!” Ken whined and Hakyeon just chuckled.

“Yah, is your wifi working?” Hongbin quipped from his bed and Ravi shook his head.

“Can you go and turn it off and on again?” Hongbin asked and Ravi shook his head, again.

“Yah are you suddenly mute?” Hongbin angrily asked and Ravi shook his head.

Hongbin groaned before sitting himself up and went out of the room, slamming the door while he was at it.

Ravi didn’t even flinch at the sound.

 

Hongbin went to the living room and stopped when he saw Ken, Hyuk and Hakyeon huddled together on the sofa, all of their attention focused on the television.

“Why hasn’t anyone fixed the wifi yet?” He asked to the three.

“You try it”, Hyuk said, grinning.

Hongbin huffed before going to the modem and repeated the same exact procedure as Ken did a while ago.

The other three on the couch just chuckled at the angry bean’s behaviour.

“Hyuk, check your phone if it’s working”, Hongbin commanded, his eyes glued to the flickering modem.

Hyuk hummed and pretended to check his phone, “It’s still not working”, Hyuk said rather sadly and Hongbin made a face at the modem.

“That’s so weird”, he said to himself before turning the modem off and on again.

“Should we tell him?” Ken whispered and the other two shook their heads.

“Give it a minute or two”, Hakyeon said, smirking.

“Hyung, why are you so slow?” Hyuk whined from the couch and Hongbin answered the question with a glare.

“Yah if I am so slow then why didn’t you do this earlier??”, Hongbin snarled before throwing his hands up in the air, giving up with the ‘stupid’ modem – as he had called it.

“Hm,” Hakyeon hummed thoughtfully, “maybe because we know the wifi isn’t working because Taekwoon hasn’t paid the bill yet?”, Hakyeon finished and the three of them burst into laughter.

Hongbin looked at them, his eyes hardened and he really really wanted to shout at the three idiots but decided that it was not worth his time so he just joined the three on the couch with a sigh instead. Ken playfully nudged Hongbin’s side and the four of them burst into laughter - Hongbin may or not have thrown some punches in between.

 

“Why is it taking so long for you to fix the wifi?!”, Ravi questioned to Hongbin as soon as he went out from the room but when he saw that Legally Blonde was on tv, his initial thoughts disappeared and he quickly made his way to squeeze onto the couch and glued his full attention to the timeless movie.

Hongbin squirmed, there were too many people on 3 seater couch and he felt strangely claustrophobic. He glanced to Hakyeon on the other side before making a face, as if communicating. Hakyeon made faces back and Hongbin sighed annoyedly.

“What the hell” Ken said, having watched the whole interaction.

“Hongbin was asking if we should prank Ravi but Hakyeon thinks it’s useless”, Hyuk deadpanned, his whole attention on the movie still and Ken gaped at the younger.

“Y’all are insane”, Ken said without a thought and Hyuk snorted, “Takes one to know one”.

 

---

 

Taekwoon came out of his room at 8pm, just in time for dinner. He had been studying since morning and his head was on the verge of exploding. He decided it was time for a break when he smelled the amazing fragrance of fried chicken outside his room.

He was greeted with the sight of 5 of his other tenants on the floor, all absorbed playing Monopoly, fried chicken in each of their hands.

“Huh”, Taekwoon thought to himself, a bit confused as to why is everyone gathered together.

Usually, only Hakyeon would be in the living room hogging the television all to himself.

Ken on the other hand would be doing whatever it is that Ken does but one thing for sure, he wouldn’t be at home around this time of the day.

Hongbin and Ravi would be cooped in their room together, only coming out from their nest when they needed food; which is why Taekwoon isn’t as surprised that they’re outside since it is dinner time anyways, he is though, a little confused since they’re not outside only for food, but also playing a game.

Hyuk being outside isn’t as shocking to Taekwoon. The youngest was like the nomad of the house, always everywhere and whenever.

 

“Did I miss any gathering notice?” Taekwoon asked to no one in particular and all of them stopped playing the Monopoly game.

“Hyung!!!” Hyuk whined to him and Taekwoon raised an eyebrow in question.

“Uh, I know you’re busy studying,” Ken started, “and no pressure or whatsoever” he said, his voice hesitant.

“But when are you going to pay the internet bill?” Hongbin squeaked, finishing Ken’s sentence. The latter seemed rather relieved by the younger’s interruption.

Taekwoon’s face changed into one of understanding as his head gears worked. He snorted before settling himself on the couch, “Is that why all of you are here, playing games together?”, he asked while chuckling and Hakyeon gasped at Taekwoon, his head gears also working.

Hakyeon huffed before throwing a few of his Monopoly bills at the chuckling Taekwoon and the other tenants looked at the two oldest ones in confusion.

“What’s happening?” Hongbin asked, clearly confused.

“I already paid the bills 4 hours ago, I did it online”, Taekwoon explained, still chuckling, now at their betrayed faces.

“Oh yeah, the internet is already working, I thought everyone already knew”, Ravi supplied and the others gaped at him.

 

 

“You mean-“, Hyuk said, “I spent 6 hours with these people when I could’ve watched Naruto?!”, he finished dramatically, his hands on his chest and his voice sad and just, dramatic.

Taekwoon threw a pillow at the youngest face.

 


 

Hello.... it's me.

This chapter is very, very long overdued so my apologies! I'm on break now and I promise to try and update frequently.

I hope you all like this chapter! As always, comments are always welcomed and appreciated! To new subscribers, thank you! To those who have been here since the very beginning, thank you to you too (for staying when updates are so terribly irregular)!

See you all soon.