Changes

My Other Half
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai

 

“Social services contacted me about two days ago about you. Since I’m the next in line of your relatives, I’m the only reason why you’re not in an orphanage yet. So, you have two choices, one: you can spend the next nine months in a ratty orphanage until you turn 18, or two: you can live a life of luxury with me in England. You can learn the ropes of my company, get a decent job, and make something of your life.”

 

I stared at her.

 

Did I just hear her correctly? It’s been- what? 11 years since she last saw me? 11 years since we had an actual conversation? And now she just shows up here like we’ve been the ing Brady Bunch our whole lives and tells me to move to England to live with her?

 

Is she ing insane?

 

“No.” I said, my teeth gritted.

 

I hate how she doesn’t even seem a little surprised. I hate how she just walks in here like it’s no big deal. I hate how she ignored us for so many years. I hate everything about this woman.

 

“As I expected.” She nodded, taking a sip of her water. “It’ll take you a few days to process this so I’ll ask you again in a little while, I’ll listen to your real answer then.”

 

“It’s not going to change.” I said as I glared at her.

 

“We’ll see.” She said obnoxiously. “I should probably go.” She said while getting up. For some dumb reason, everyone got up with her except for me, making me roll my eyes. Sit down you idiots. She only lives in England, she doesn’t own it.

 

Thank you for allowing me to come in and intrude on your dinner.” She says to Aya’s mom as if she has manners. “I’ll see you at the funeral, Jongin.” She said to me.

 

“I didn’t invite you.” I growl at her.

 

She either didn’t hear me or pretended not to because she didn’t respond. She showed herself out and left.

 

I sat in my chair, resentfully with my arms crossed across my chest.

 

This is the last thing I need right now. What next? Does my mom come back??

 

Ugh. I can’t deal with this right now.

 

“I don’t have an appetite anymore. I’m going to bed.” I finally say to the others with a tired sigh and leave the dinner table as well.

 

 

 

 

3rd POV

 

Everyone watched Kai march up the stairs and slam the guest room door close for the night. Aya was about to chase after him when D.O grabbed her arm. 

 

"Leave him." He told her. Aya pleaded him with through her eyes, but D.O stayed adamant and shook his head. "He needs to be alone right now."

 

Suhan couldn't stop staring at Kai's door. She would do anything to make him feel better right now. Anything. She knew the only person who could make him happy right now was Halmoni.

 

Oh the irony. 

 

But at that moment, she realized Halmoni wasn't the only person who could make him happy right now. 

 

There was someone else. 

 

Someone Kai loved just as much as he loved Halmoni. 

 

"Ommoni," Suhan called to Aya's mom.

 

The older woman turned to Suhan. "Hm?"

 

"Can I talk to you for a second?" Suhan asked as she chewed on her bottom lip.

 

 

 

Kai

Tonight’s event just showed what an awful pair of siblings my mother’s side is. One sister leaves her son when things get the slightest bit hard and the other one tells her nephew he’s an orphan now that his grandma’s dead.

 

And then there’s my dad in prison and me who is probably gonna fail out of school.

 

Some family, right?

 

But man...I’m an orphan now.

 

Dad can’t be my legal guardian and Halmoni’s now gone...I’m alone now.

 

But there’s no way in hell I’m going with her. I’d rather rot in a dingy orphanage than go live with the She-Devil.

 

her.

 

my mom.

 

my dad.

 

Halmo-

 

Ugh. Kai...what’re you saying? Aside from my mom, nobody ever meant for these things to happen. I can’t blame Appa and Halmoni...it’s not their fault.

 

I...I just don’t know anymore.

 

What if I don't go?

 

Then what? I spend about a year in a ratty orphanage only to move into a ratty apartment when I'm 18? Then what? I don't know what I'm doing with my life, I don't know what I wanna be, what am I supposed to do with the rest of my life?

 

But what if I do go? What if I get educated, I get a job, I start making money...I start making something out of myself...

 

No.

 

Stop it, Kai. You're not going to England with a woman you've like 3 times in your life. She abandoned you, she left you, she forgot about you-

 

Knock. Knock.

 

I sat up from the guest bed and called out a quick, “Come in,” to the person at the door.

 

The door slowly opened and Suhan poked her head in with a soft smile.

 

“Hey.” She said. “Can I come in?”

 

“Uh, yeah. 'Course.” I said, gesturing for her to sit down on the bed as well. She walked in, allowing me to see the two small bowls of ice cream in her hands.

 

I lightly smiled at that. “Did Aya’s mom send you up?” I asked.

 

But she shook her head. “No, it was my idea. I figured you’d want some.” Suhan said while handing me one of the bowls. She came onto the bed and sat criss-cross in front of me.

 

I don’t know why that made me feel so good on the inside. She didn’t say a lot, but I kept taking small glances at her as we ate. I hadn’t really thought about Suhan and us these past couple of days which is such a douchey move considering she’s been looking out for me this whole time and I’m just realizing that now.

 

Great.

 

“Suhan,” I said, clearing my throat, “I know I haven’t really been myself lately and we were just starting to-”

 

“You know when I was about 12, I used to make these little videos with my friends? They were so embarrassing now that I look back on them. Oh dear Lord.” She groans, shuddering at the horrible memory. “That was my first and last ever acting experience and let me tell you, I did the world a favor of not pursuing that.”

 

I blinked at her.

 

And she innocently blinked back.

 

“Do you wanna see one of them?”

 

And then it dawned on me what she was doing.

 

Somebody better shoot me if I ever hurt Suhan because Jesus ing Christ, she’s perfect in every way.

 

“Hell ing yeah I wanna see one of them.” I snort before taking our bowls and putting them on the little nightstand beside the bed. I prop up the two pillows against the headboard and pat the spot next to me. Suhan scurries over and sits next to me as she scrolls through her camera roll for the video.

 

I knew she found it when she stopped scrolling and took a deep breath. “Okay, if you laugh or make any snarky or mean comment, I’ll punch you.”

 

I snorted. “Come on, Stretch. I’m totally gonna laugh and make some snarky or mean comment. Have you met me?”

 

Suhan rolled her eyes, but she was smiling which made me do the same, purely because she was doing it. Her smile made me smile.

She pressed play.

 

 

Okay, Kai...take a deep breath...phewwww...okay, take a breath in 2, 3, 4….now let it out 2, 3, 4…

 

Okay...it wasn’t that bad…

 

In breath 2, 3, 4…

 

Out breath 2, 3, 4…

 

It...it wasn’t that- that...bad-

 

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. BWAAHAHAHAHAHA, OH MY GOD, HAHAHAHAHA, SUHAN! HAHAHAHAHAH! ‘OH, NO, TONY, DON’T GO, I LOVE YOU!’ BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! AND THE WAY YOU LOOKED AT THE CAMERA IN THAT ONE SCENE--- BWAAHHAHA- AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ‘YOU CAN’T HAVE HIM, HE’S MY HEART AND SOUL!’ WAS HE REALLY YOUR HEART AND SOUL, SUHAN?? WAS HE REALLY?? HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!”

 

“Stop!!!!!” Suhan whimpered, burying her head in one of the smaller pillows. “I was like 12!!”

 

“YOU WERE LIKE- SO TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH HIM!! HAHAHAAHAHA!”

 

I honestly couldn’t stop.

 

And I take back what I said about her being perfect.

 

Oh God, this is Suhan’s dark past that is too cringy to even talk about. I- I can’t…

 

Oh my God, that was just so funny. I can’t believe she had the balls to show me that...oh Jesus. I still can’t stop laughing.

 

“Kaiiiii.” Suhan whined when my laughing fit continued longer than 10 minutes. “Stop!!! It’s not that funny!”

 

“It’s ing hilarious, Suhan!!” I wheeze, holding my stomach. “Can you please send that to me?? I’ll give you anything you want for that video. Just please...please send it to me. I don’t think I would be able to live if I only watch it once. I need more of you professing your love to H.O.T’s Tony Ahn and horrible fake crying into the camera when he got stolen away by Yena.”

 

“I hate you.” Suhan grumbled and hit my head with a pillow. “I’m going downstairs if you’re not gonna stop.” And she got off the bed and stomped toward the door.

 

I got up after her and quickly grabbed her hand before she could leave. It was hastier than I had intended, but I really didn’t want her to leave.

 

“Okay, okay.” I said, stifling the leftovers of my laughing fit, “I’m sorry.” I chuckled. “I’ll stop.”

 

Suhan turned to me with a pout that made me melt but that soon turned into a playful smile and she nodded. “Good.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter