Presentation Day

My Other Half
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

3rd POV

 

“She's gonna be okay, right?” Kai asked for the hundredth time after his grandmother had gone to sleep.

 

The doctor nodded. “Kai, you don't have to worry. It's just a little cough. We’re going to make sure she's taken care of.” He told the boy.

 

Kai just sighed though. That bad feeling he had in the back of his head just wouldn't go away. “I'm just worried.” He confessed as he stared at her through the little window on the door.

 

“And that's normal. But don't jump to conclusions yet, okay? She's going to be fine. I promise.” The doctor told him. Kai knew what that “conclusion” was but he never wanted to confirm it. It was too horrible for him to even think about.

 

The doctor gave Kai a light pat on his shoulder before attending to his other duties, leaving Kai with only his hopes and prayers. Kai had never been a religious person, but he prayed for his grandmother's health more than anything at that moment. He loved her so much, he couldn't imagine a life without her. What would he do? He didn't have any other family besides her; she was all he had and loved.

 

Kai closed his eyes and sighed. “Please.” He begged.

 

 

 

“Where have you been all day??” Suhan’s mother hissed at the girl the second Joo Ri walked out the door. “And why do you smell like dirt?”

 

Suhan inwardly smiled to herself; “Because I had a fun day.”

 

“Suhan, you look filthy and homeless. Go take a shower and throw those clothes away; I can't believe you would let yourself get so dirty. And to show up like that in front of Joo Ri!” Her mother exclaimed as if it was the worst thing someone could ever do.

 

Suhan tuned out of her mother’s obsessive nagging a while ago and just walked upstairs with Donggie in tow. She reached her room in a matter of seconds and shut the door behind her.

 

“Come on. You can wear my shirt.”

 

Suhan squealed and fell on to her bed, giggling into her pillow.

 

“KYAAAAHHH!!” She shrieked out of joy while her legs wiggled around. She couldn't contain the massive amount of butterflies that were flittering around in her stomach so she kept rolling around on her bed, squealing and laughing from the amazing day she had.

 

 

 

Kai sat down on the chair and waited for the guards to bring his father in. He tapped a soft tune on the table with his finger nails before he heard the door open. He turned around and watched as the guard took Jong Soo’s handcuffs off.

 

“You have an hour.” The guard said before walking away. Jong Soo began to rub his wrists but immediately stopped when he saw Kai watching him.

 

“Kai!” Jong Soo exclaimed with a giant smile.

 

“Appa!” Kai said back. Jong Soo walked over and leaned down to hug his son before sitting down across from him.

 

“How's everything?” Jong Soo asked.

 

“Everything's okay. School is same old same old, friends same old same old.” Kai said.

 

“Yeah, me too.” Jong Soo softly sighed with a hint of regret in his voice.

 

“Have you called Halmoni recently?” Kai then asked.

 

Jong Soo nodded. “Yeah, but if you're asking me because of her cough, she said it's fine and not to worry.”

 

“That seems to be the theme song for the past few days,” sighed Kai.

 

Jong Soo gave his son a reassuring smile. “It'll be fine.”

 

“That too.”

 

Jong Soo laughed and ruffled his son’s hair. Kai scoffed his father’s hand away, inwardly smiling at the interaction.

 

“I have some good news, though.” Jong Soo said.

 

Kai’s ears perked up and he eagerly looked at his dad. “Is it about the sentence reduction?” He asked with a new light in his eyes.

 

Jong Soo lowered his voice and leaned closer to Kai. “Now, nothing's set in stone or anything, but my request this time has made it farther than any before.”

 

Kai’s eyes widened and his face lit up like a Christmas tree. “Seriously?!”

 

Jong Soo grinned and nodded. “I think you better start cleaning up the apartment; I might be coming home sooner than you think.”

 

Kai was overjoyed. No, overjoyed was an understatement. Words couldn't describe how the amount of happiness he felt at that moment. His father might actually be getting out sooner than they that! Kai was almost on the verge of tears because of how unreal it felt.

 

“Isn't that great?” Jong Soo asked.

 

Kai blinked back a tear. “Oh Appa, you don't even know.”

 

 

 

The day of the presentation finally came and Suhan contemplated on dropping out of school.

 

“I can't do it.” Suhan shook her head.

 

“Yes you can.” Aya said to her.

 

“Nope. I can't do it.” Suhan repeated.

 

“You'll be fine.” Aya reassured.

 

“I think I'm gonna throw up.” Suhan whimpered while holding her stomach.

 

“Woah, ok everyone back up.” Sehun said as he and the others took a few steps back.

 

The seniors had been excused from their afternoon classes for the presentations. After fourth period, they all made their way down to the auditorium where the presentations would be held. Kai took his sweet little time coming down but he made it eventually, a few minutes before everything started

 

Kai walked through the double doors and looked through the groups that were standing around for his friends. He finally spotted Suhan wheezing into a paper bag with Seulgi and Taemin rubbing her back. He went over to them to check on her and also practice his presentation.

 

“Hey, how is she?” He asked Sehun when he reached the group.

 

“I failed human bio but I'm pretty sure people aren't supposed to be that shade of green.” He responded.

 

Kai sighed and walked over to her and held onto her shoulders. “Suhan, look at me.”

 

The girl stopped hyperventilating into her paper bag and stared at the boy in front of her with wide and terrified eyes.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter