Chapter 8

Before I'm Gone

Once I reached Changbum, I grabbed one of the boards from his hand.

"Lets go" I grabbed his arm and headed to the water.

As soon as my toes hit the water, Mark called for me.

"Hey! Your phone is ringing" He said.

"Ugh" I groaned, and ran back up to the sand to where they were all sitting.

Mark handed me my phone and I looked at the caller I.D: Ari.

"Hey!" I said, answering it.

"How are you? Its been days since we talked" I could hear the sadness in her voice.

"I know, im sorry. Ive been busy" I told her.

I looked up at Changbum and saw him standing in the water, waiting for me.

"What are you doing right now?" She asked.

"Im at the beach with a friend" I said.

"Friends!" Jackson tried to correct me.

I shot him a look and turned back around to face the ocean.

"A guy friend?" I could hear the smirk in her voice.

I could see Changbum sighing and kicking the water.

"Yeah. I'll tell you about it later, okay? I gotta go right now. Sorry Ari" I rushed off the phone.

"Oh, okay bye" She sounded so sad.

Im sorry Ari.

"Bye" I threw my phone back down and ran back to Changbum.

"Heartless" I could hear Mark say as I was running.

"Sorry, lets go" I said when I caught up to him.

"I forgot how cold the water was" I said as we walked further into the ocean.

 

*JB's Pov*

When she left me and went to her friend, I sat down next to Mark and Jackson.

Bambam and Yugyeom were just now coming back with ice cream in their hands.

I layed down on the blanket taking up all the room.

Jinyoung and Youngjae had got here as well.

"Jeez JB, stop taking up all the room" Jinyoung complained, trying to roll me over.

I heard something vibrating and I looked over at her bag. Her phone was halfway out ger bag and she was getting a phone call.

"Her phone is ringing" I said to no one in particular.

"Hey!" Mark called out.

She turned and looked at us.

"Your phone is ringing" He finished, and I could see her hand her board to Changbum and she ran over to us.

I grabbed her phone and Mark took it from my hands, handing it to her.

I socked Mark in his shoulders, but she didnt see because she was facing the ocean.

Mark glared back at me, but I wasnt paying attention. I was too busy staring at her figure and how her skin glowed in the light.

Jackson yelled something at her and she faced us, glaring at him. I wanted her to look at me, but she turned back around and continued talking,

She rushed off the phone and threw her phone back down, running back to Changbum.

They headed further into the ocean until they were barely visible.

I focused my attention to the sky and sighed.

"Whats the status between you and her?" I heard Yugyeom speak.

I looked at him to see if he was talking to me. Indeed, he was staring at me.

I sat up on my elbows.

"I dont know" I said.

"I wasnt interested in her at first, I just thought she was cute" 

"What the hell!" Mark said.

I looked at him.

"What?" 

"Thats stupid! You better not be messing with the new girl like that. I mean, I see the way she looks at me, so you better act right!" He said.

Was he challenging me? I thought.

"Ah" I got off my elbows and fell on my back.

I felt the pain in my chest coming back and I laid on my back for a while.

"Are you okay?" Youngjae said to me, gaining the attention of everyone else.

"Yeah im fine, just a little chest pain" I smiled, to ensure I was okay.

He eyed me suspiciously. 

"Isnt it funny that the two people we invited here are the ones actually in the water?" Jackson said.

"Seriously!" Bambam stood up.

"Why are we just sitting here" He took off his shirt and ran into the water.

Everybody soon followed after him and I was last to get up.

 

*Aaliah's Pov*

My arms were getting tired and so I told Changbum I was going back to shore.

I was walking as fast as I could in the water to get to the shallow end.

I could see Bambam walking my way, and behind everybody else was following.

I sat down right were the tide breaks and let the water hit my legs.

Water kept splashing in my face from all the running combined from all the boys running pass me into the ocean.

Yugyeom witnessed the whole thing and apoligized on their behalf. I just laughed and said it was okay.

I was enjoying the waves, when I saw Mark walking towards me.

He was wet and his hair was dripping, sticking to his face.

Once he was directly in front me, I looked up at him.

He was blocking the sun from my eyes.

"Can I borrow your board?" He said.

"Oh, yeah!" I untied the string from my arm and handed him the board.

He grabbed it and smiled.

"Thanks" He winked and walked back into the water.

I sighed and leaned back against the wet sand and proped my elbows up.

They kept sinking into the sand and I kept having to pull them back up.

I tried this a few times before I gave up and just sat down normal.

I heard a few footsteps and saw a figure sit down next to me.

I looked over and met a smiling JB.

"Sup?" I said, looking back at the water.

He stood back up and I could see him reach his arm out. I looked up at him and then his hand.

I grabbed his hand and he helped me up. I wiped all the sand off the back of my legs and realized that the water would have done that for me anyway.

He didnt let go of my hand as we walked closer to the water.

The water was at knee height when we stopped walking.

He let go of my hand and we watched all the other guys swimming further into the water.

"Um.." He stopped talking.

I looked at him and he was scratching the back his neck. 

I splashed some water on him to loosen his nerves.

He splashed water back at me and it landed right in my eye.

It hurt and my eyes started stinging.

I gasped and splashed an even bigger amount back at him.

I tried to walk back to get my towel but JB grabbed my hand.

"Let go" I pulled away and tried to walk again.

"Whats wrong?" He asked, concerned.

My eyes were burning so bad that I felt tears building in my eyes, which was making it much worse. I felt like a baby crying in front him, especially over something like this.

"Are you crying?" He tried to grab me again, put I also pulled away again.

"Just let me go" I stubbornly said.

"Not until you tell me whats wrong" He tried holding my hand.

He wouldnt let go of my hand and I struggled to get his hand off of mine and he pulled me into a hug.  

I ended up just staying in the hug, as he rubbed my back.

I finally stopped the tears, but my eyes were still burning.

"You're going to think im stupid" I said, my face buried in his bare chest.

"No I wont" He stopped rubbing my back.

He held me at arms length and looked at me, but I kept my face down. Too embarrassed to look at him.

Besides, I couldnt open them. They hurt too much to open.

"You got water in my eyes and it burns. There I said it" I tried to walk away, blind, but I felt him grab my waist and walk with me.

"You dont even know where youre going" He said. I could hear slight laughter in his voice.

I felt the sand between my toes as he lead me to our stuff.

"Here" I heard him say.

My eyes were still closed so I was trying to reach for whatever he was giving me.

I felt something fuzzy in my hands and I realized he was handing me my towel. Immediately, I brought it to my face and wiped my eyes.

I removed the towel from my face to see JB looking at me.

"Are you okay now?" He asked.

"Yeah. But I feel stupid for crying" I admitted.

"Do you wanna get something to eat?" He smiled.

I nodded and followed him.

I grabbed my shoes and bag and so did he, along with his jacket that he put on. We walked in the hot sand until we reached the concrete.

We dropped our shoes and slid our feet in them and started walking, looking at all the food options.

"What are you in the mood for?" He asked.

"Ice-cream" I smiled.

"Ice-cream it is" We walked over to the last shop on the corner and walked inside.

I looked at all the different flavors. What was I in the mood for?

I could still feel the aftermath of my burning eyes.

"Hello, what would you two beautiful people like to try?" The girl smiled at us.

"Can I have the strawberry cheesecake please?" I said.

"And you?" She looked at JB and smiled.

"I'll have the brownie one" He smiled at the girl.

I looked at them both and scruched my face.

She scooped both of the flavors and handed them to us.

"That'll be $7.95" She said.

I grabbed my bag, but JB stopped me and handed the girl his card.

"But I-"

"Its okay, I owe you for what just happened" 

The girl handed him back his card and she smiled at him again. 

I walked away while JB was still putting his card back in his wallet.

"Thank you" I heard him say, as he ran out to catch up to me.

We walked along the boardwalk eating our ice cream.

We were far away from the rest of the guys when the sun started going down and I suggested we sit down on a bench that was near the water.

He put his arm around my shoulders and we just watched the sunset.

"Its getting kinda cold" I mentioned.

"Here" He took off his jacket and put it around my shoulders and repositioned his arms there again.

"Thank you" I whispered.

~~~

Once the sun was gone, I felt JB remove his arms from my shoulder and put his hands on my cheek.

It was dark and I could barely see his face.

"JB, what are you doing-" He cut me off with his lips.

I pulled away.

"What the heck?" I said.

"I thought you wanted this" He replied.

"I just-- Im not ready yet" I said softly.

I felt like things were moving way too quick with him.

"What do you mean?" I felt him grab my face again.

"No JB stop" I removed his hands.

"We're just going way to fast"  I scooted away from him 

"I just need to think for a second" I said.

If he really cared, he'd respect my feelings.

We were quiet for a while.

I looked at him and saw he was looking out into the dark ocean.

"JB?" I spoke.

He looked at me.

"Im sorry" I leaned in to kiss his cheek when he used his finger to move my face and kissed me again.

"What the hell JB?" I yelled.

I stood up.

"I just said I needed time to think, stop trying to force me to like you" I said.

"Im not forcing you to do anything" He said. "You're the one who's been flirting with me all day"

"Yeah. Flirting! Im not trying to force my lips on you am I? God, you really are a player. I shouldve listened to Changbum" I said.

"Wait" He stood up and grabbed my hands.

"No, dont touch me" I pulled my hands back.

I took off his jacket and I threw it at him.

"Im sorry, please dont talk to me again" I said, walking away.

"Dont be like this" I could hear him following me.

I began to run. I didnt even know where I was going, but I just didnt want him to catch up to me.

I kept running until I heard familiar voices.

I ran with most difficulty in the sand until I saw them.

"Hey, there you are--Are you okay?" Mark said frantically, as he heard my heavy breathing and saw me packing up all my things.

By this time, I had caught everyone's attention.

"Changbum, lets go" I said, grabbing him making him stand up.

He began to grab all his things.

"Where's JB?" Youngjae asked.

"Who cares" I said, dragging Changbum away with me after he had all his stuff.

"Jinyoung, can you just bring me my boards later?" I heard him yell back to them.

"Yeah. No problem" Jinyoung replied.

 

*Yugyeom's Pov*

We just watched them walked away with the same looks on our faces.

"What the heck do you think happened?" Bambam said.

"JB mustve did something to her" Youngjae added.

I saw Mark turn his head, towards him.

"Dont jump to conclusions Youngjae" He said.

"Just ask him yourselves, he's right there" Jinyoung pointed somewhere in the dark.

Eventually, JB appeared from the dark out of breath like he was running too.

"Did she come by here?" He asked, leaning over trying to catch his breath.

"Yeah, but she and Changbum already left" Jackson answered.

"Dude what did you do? She seemed pretty pissed" I said.

"Ughh" JB kicked the sand and sat down, running his hands through his hair.