Just a Few Steps Away

In My Heart ... Forever Yours

 

“Chun-Ah, do you think your plan will work?” Jae Joong asked anxiously.”Can you check your phone again to make sure that she didn’t cancel this dinner.”

“Hyung, stop being nervous, okay? She doesn’t know about this so there is no reason for her to cancel it. This is supposed to be a surprise encounter, so get your acts together. I’m going inside the restaurant now,” Yoo Chun said as he stepped out of the car. He could hear Junsu reassuring Jae Joong.

Poor Jae Joong hyung, Yoo Chun thought as he walked towards the restaurant.

He entered the restaurant and inquired regarding his reservation. He was ushered to a table near a glassed wall overlooking the beautiful lights of Seoul at night.

“Would you like to order now, sir?” the waitress inquired offering him the menu.

“”Not yet,” Yoo Chun replied. “When my companions arrive, we’ll do it together.”

“Yes sir. Just call on us when you are ready,” the waitress said and went on her way.

While waiting for Hye Bin, Yoo Chun watched the traffic below. Beautiful lights of different colors flashed before him.

Photographers would love to take a shot of that that slowi moving subject with their glowing lights,” Yoo Chun thought. Noona, I can’t believe you’re Jae Joong hyung’s first love. Both of you … you mentioned of a past you can’t forget but I never thought it was between my two best friends. It’s a small world afterall.

“Chun-Ah, mianhae for being late,” Hye Bin said slightly rushing to where Yoo chun was sitting. “You know Kim Hyun Joong-ssi, right? We accidentally met each other at the lobby.”

“Anyeong Hyun Joong-ah,” Yoo Chun greeted. “Neh, we hang out with each other every now and then. Have a seat.”

“Hyun Joong-ssi, you can join us if you want. You said earlier that you were dinning alone,” Hye Bin offered.

“Uh … Is this some kind of a date? Because I don’t want to be a third wheel,” Hyun Joong asked uneasily. Hye Bin and Yoo Chun burst out laughing which confused Hyun Joong more.

“It’s okay Hyun Joong-ssi. It maybe a date but it’s between friends,” Hye Bin explained.

“Oh.”

 “Hyun Joong-ah, you felt relieved. Hokssi …. You like Hye Bin noona?” Yoo Chun asked half joking half serious.

“Yah! Park Yoo Chun! What’s wrong with you?” Hye Bin whispered although it was obvious that Hyun Joong can still hear it.

“Don’t worry about it Hye Bin-ssi. His being straightforward … it’s because we are close friends,” Hyun Jung said.

The waitress approached them and offered the menu. They ordered the food and in a few minutes it was served and they started eating.

“Hyun Jung-ah, I heard you are dating someone,” Yoo Chun said. “Good for you, man. With us, it’s all about recording, promoting our album with tv and radio programs, doing it locally and abroad …”

"Not yet,” Hyun Joong said staring at Hye Bin who was oblivious of the stare as she was looking at her food. However, Yoo Chun had caught him staring at Hye Bin.

“Who is it? Do I know her?” Yoo Chun insisted.

“If Hye Bin-ssi will have me, then what the rumors are saying will be good as true,” Hyun Jung said with a sweet smile.

After hearing this, Hye Bin started choking which brought panic to her companions. Yoo Chun started tapping her back while Hyun Joong offered a glass of water.

“Noona, are you alright?”

“Hye Bin-ssi, are you feeling better?”

Hye Bin nodded.

“You guys! Stop putting me on the spot,” Hye Bin said.

“We weren’t,” her companions said innocently.

“So, Hyun Joong, how did you meet noona?” Yoo Chun asked.

“Their studio was the one who did our albums and promotional photos and even in some of our events. She was very patient and tolerant of our awkwardness during those months when we just debuted,” Hyun Jung explained. “You?” He directed the question at Hye Bin.

“We were neighbors and playmates until I was sent to Gongju,” Hye Bin replied.

“It was during her rebellious phase,” Yoo Chun added.

“Rebellious? I can’t see any trace of it, Hye Bin-ssi,” Hyun Joong observed. “The Park Hye Bin-ssi I’ve known has always been smiling, sweet, patient and an inspirational person.”

“Thank you for that compliment,” Hye Bin blushed. “But I had those days, I think almost everyone of us had passed that stage.”

“Hyun Joong-ah, I’ve just observed. We are of the same age, right? And, you’ve already done many shoots together, right?”

Hyung Joong nodded.

“How come you still call her in a formal manner? Why not call her noona?” Yoo Chun asked.

“Because I don’t call ladies older than me noona if I like them,” Hyun Joong said seriously.

“Yah! Kim Hyun Joong, you are so audacious tonight. Are you drunk or something?” Yoo Chun asked.

“No. Hye Bin-ssi … she knows my feelings but keeps ignoring me,” Hyun Joong complained.

“What?!” Yoo Chun was shocked. Not you, too Hyun Joong-ah! I don’t want to choose between friends.

“Hyun Joong-ssi, you shouldn’t be telling Yoo Chun anything or else he’ll use it against me,” Hye Bin said to make the awkwardness dissipate.

“Noona, I’m not that type of person,” Yoo Chun said defensively and the two laughed at the way Yoo Chun was using his arms to form an X sign.

They didn’t notice that the restaurant was already packed until somebody commented.

“Omo! Is that Kim Hyun Joong?”

“Definitely! It’s Kim Hyun Joong!”

“He looks handsome in person …”They could hear deep sighs from some lady customers sitting near their table.

“Is that the girl he’s dating? I heard she’s someone outside the entertainment world.”

The girl sitting beside him … she’s beautiful. Could she be the one? Another murmured.

Then, suddenly someone whispered loudly,” How come Park Yoo Chun is with them?”

“Ah! Jeongmal!” Yoo Chun muttered under his breath. “Why did I end up as the third wheel?”

“Chun-Ah, it’s not like you to get annoyed over trivial matters,” Hye Bin said laughing at the turn of events.

“It’s because he doesn’t have a girlfriend for a long time. That’s why he gets sensitive about it,” Hyun Joong added.

“I’m doing this because of that limited edition of marvel superheroes,” Yoo Chun said to himself.

“You were saying Chun-ah?” asked Hye Bin.

“Oh. It’s nothing.”

Yikes! I’ve forgotten about Jae Joong hyung, Yoo Chun thought. He pulled out his phone and started texting when suddenly Hyun Joong said, “Isn’t that Jae Joong-ah with Junsu?”

Hye Bin turned her head and saw Jae Joong coming towards their table.