Misunderstood

In My Heart ... Forever Yours

1998

 “Park Hye Bin! It’s already twelve midnight! Where have you been?” Hye Bin’s mother said as soon as she saw her daughter sneaking up towards her daughter’s room. “How can a fifteen-year-old girl come home at this time of the night?”

“Eom-eomma,” Hye Bin blurted out. Being caught by her mom sneaking at this time of the night means she’ll be grounded. “School doing a school project?”

“The school had been closed hours earlier. You have been lying and coming home late since this semester had began,” her mother shouted as she dragged Hye Bin to her room. “You teachers have been telling me to talk to you. Even in school, you are not participating in any class activities! So, how can you say you’re doing a school project.”

“Eomma …” was all she said. She just stood there with tears falling from her eyes.

“That’s it! You are going to live with your aunt Min Ah in Gongju,” her mom said as she starts packing her clothes.

“Please, eomma, not with aunt Min Ah,” Hye Bin pleads. “Stop treating me like a child. I’m fifteen, mom.”

“If you don’t want to go there then you should have listened to me and have gotten your acts together,” her mom said angrily. “And, if you don’t want to be treated like a child then stop acting like one. Now, get your other things ready.” Then she went out of Hye Bin’s room slamming the door behind her.

Aunt Min Ah, the most strict aunt in the world, she thought. Of all the places where she could be send to. I’ll probably die in just a day.

I can’t believe this is happening to me. Yes, this is entirely my fault. But I wish you would ask me the reason why I’m acting this way. You keep on counting my mistakes instead of delving into the reasons behind my actions.

She sat on her bed. Tears kept falling down her face.

I’ve been skipping school to find my dad, mom. I’ve seen his letters and the documents about my paternity. I never asked you about my dad because it makes you angry. Sometimes, it makes you sad. How could you deprive me of that chance to be with my  my dad? He may not be a good husband but you should at least give him the chance to be a father.

But, I’ve found him. I just don’t know how to approach him. I don’t know if he even knows I exist.

I just wish that this letter would reach him. Slowly she opened the letter and read once more what was written in it.

 

President Lee Soo Man,

 

Annyeong Haseyo

I’m Park Hye Bin. I’m daughter of Park Young Mi. I don’t know if you still remember her. You’ve meet her at Busan back in 1983.

I don’t know how to say this. I don’t know if my mom told you about my existence. But I am the product of your love affair that year. I am your daughter. I found your secret love affair with my mom through your letters to her.

 I don’t know what happened between you and my mom. I wish you could give me a chance to get to know you. I’m hoping it will be soon.
I don’t want to cause trouble with your family nor with my mom. The issue on my paternity is still a sensitive topic to my mom. So, I’m keeping this from her temporarily. Please know that by knowing you, I would understand me. Completely.

I am very much willing to undergo paternity test you want taken.

I’m hoping to meet you soon.

 

Park Hye Bin

 

Then she added in her letter:

 

P.S.  My mom is sending me to Gonju to her cousin Park Min Ah. She still lives in the same address since your last visit to her back in 1984.

 

The only address Hye Bin knows is that of his office address so she wrote the same on the mailing envelop. With a deep sigh she folded the letter and put it inside the envelop. Tomorrow she’ll mail it to the post office near the bus terminal going to Gonju.

After she finished packing, Hye Bin slid between the covers of her bed. She recalled her close relationship with her mom. Beore discovering her dad's letters.  Those days seems so far away. 

I'm sorry mom, she said before drifting off to sleep.