The Mess They’re In (part 1)

In My Heart ... Forever Yours

Jae Joong and Hye Bin haven’t spoken to each other in weeks since the confrontation. They see ech other everywhere but Jae Joong is always the first one to move out of the way. She tried to settle things between them but Jae Joong keeps on dodging.

However, the moment she heard about the news on Jae Joong she immediately went to his house to confirm if it’s really true.

"Mrs. Kim, is it true about Jae Joong?” she asked.

“Yes, dear. We were worried about him since yesterday but my sister in Seoul called. Jae Joong is staying with her. We were so opposed of his dream of becoming a singer that he ran away from home,” Mrs. Kim said as she wipes the tears away.

“Thanks God he’s okay,” Hye Bin let out a sigh. She wasn’t aware that she was holding her breath until now that she knew that Jae Joong was safe.

“In a few days, I’ll be going there to talk sense into him,” Jae Joong’s mom said. “But I guess coming home will not be one of his options. He is so bent up into becoming a singer and he’s asking for a moral support. I decided to give him a chance but the financial support will be limited. But still, he wants to pursue it.”

“Does that mean he’ll be finishing high school in Seoul?” Hye Bin was dismayed.

“Yes. Do you have any message or something that you want to relay to him? I know you two are close friends and I know how worried you are.”

“Just- just tell him be safe,” she said chokingly.

“I will, dear. I will.”

 

xxx                  xxx                  xxx                  xxx                  xxx                  xxx     

 

Hye Bin did some last minute shopping for the things needed for their graduation program. Graduation is almost near. But still no word from Jae Joong. No personal call, email, snail mail or whatever. All the information she has about him comes from his mom which everybody knows.

Afterwards, Hye Bin went inside to an ice cream parlor where she would meet Ji Eun. The latter her helped with some stuff for the graduation. They split up the assignment to finish the chore earlier. She looked around and Ji Eun was not yet there. Her thoughts went back to Jae Joong.

Not a single word, she thought as she sat down. Wait till I get my hands on you, Kim Jae Joong! You’re going to pay for making me worried. But … she pondered, does he think about me like I think about him? I know I don’t have the right to ask for that. I’ve hurt him too much.

“Hey! Earth to Hye Bin!” Ji Eun said snapping her fingers in front of Hye Bin’s face.

“You’re here. Did you get everything?” Hye Bin asked. Ji Eun answered affirmatively.

“But before we go,” Ji Eun continued. “Let’s treat ourselves with an ice cream today.”

“Yeah, sure. I think we deserve it. You order for me, please? Here’s my money.” Hye bin said as counted the money.

“Hye Bin-ah ….” Ji Eun said weirdly.

She looked up and saw the anxious ace of Ji Eun.

“What?” she answered.

“Don’t look back right now but Kim Jae Wook just entered this room with … Park Gyuri? Since when did they become an item?” Ji Eun asked suspiciously.

“Since I broke up with Jae Wook two days ago? Gyuri really likes Jae Wook … since sophomore year. But Jae Wook had somebody else on his mind so he didn’t paid much attention to her,” Hye Bin explained calmly. “I just wish that Gyuri will take care of him.”

“What? And you didn’t even tell me about it. Wait a minute …. How come I don’t see any tears or sadness on your face? I know Jae Wook really likes you and he will not let you go unless you did something,” Ji Eun said accusingly.

“He knows I tried to work things out. He was patient, still gave me his love, time and made an effort to make me reciprocate the feelings. I like him. He’s everything a girl wants but I’m don’t deeply feel the things that he does unlike … I guess that’s why the relationship drag on until two days ago.”

“Unlike Jae Joong, you mean,” Ji Eun stated.

Hye Bin did not confirm nor negated what Ji Eun had said. Sensing the apprehension from Hye Bin, Ji Eun said making the former look into the latter’s eyes, “Hye Bin-ah, if you like Jae Joong then go for it. Look what it caused you. You’re miserable in the love department. I can’t bear it to see you like this.”

“It’s that I’m confused about how I feel about Jae. At that time, it doesn’t seem right. Then, he bolted out when we were both having this unsettled issue between us,” Hye Bin said with a heavy heart.

“Maybe what you’re feeling right now is the answer to your confusion. Do you miss him? If yes, move to the next question. Do you miss him as a dongsaeng or you miss him like you’ve never missed anyone before? If you miss him like you’ve never missed anyone before, are you sorry for your loss? Because if that so, we move on to the next question which you have been evading this whole year. Do you love him, not as a brother, but like a man? Your answer is ….” Ji Eun said as she let her words hang on air for Hye Bin to internalize what’s ahe’s saying.

Hye Bin just sat there staring at the glass window. Ji Eun silently waited.

“Yes. My answer is yes to your entire questions,” Hye Bin finally answered. “That feels liberating … to finally acknowledge the feeling.”

“If the answer is yes, then why do you still have that long look on your face?” Ji Eun asked.

“Because I don’t know what to say to Jae Joong when I meet him. Honesty. Love. Trust. Friendship. I’ve thrown it all away because of my pride,” Hye Bin replied. “I want to go to Seoul or wherever he is right now, ask for forgiveness and start all over again. But I can’t because I’ve hurt him too much. So I’m living it to fate.”

“But you told me don’t believe in fate,” Ji Eun said.

“That was before. Right now, fate is my only hope,” Hye Bin said sincerely.

“I wish you the best, my friend.”

“Oh, you better go to counter and order our ice cream. I want a butter pecan, please. I'll look out for our things here.” Hye Bin said pushing Ji Eun lovingly towards the counter. Scanning around the room, Hye Bin did not see Jae Wook or Gyuri.

Good,Hye Bin thought. Because right this moment, she had enough of awkwardness to last her the day. She didn’t want to explain or entertain other people. She just wants to eat ice cream with her friend Ji Eun.