Those days with Aunt Min Ah

In My Heart ... Forever Yours

 

It’s been three month since Hye Bin came to Gongju. Three months living with her Aunt Min Ah.

Well, Gonju wasn’t bad at all if it weren’t for her Aunt Min Ah. Her aunt had her house rules written and explained the moment she arrived at her doorstep. But it didn’t stop Hye Bin from going against.

She had accompanied Hye Bin to her new school … where her Aunt Min Ah works. She’s a high school teacher over there.

What made her more miserable was that whether it’s in school or at home, she won’t be able to escape the claws of her aunt as Hye Bin was in one of the classes of her aunt. She was always within the watchful eyes of her aunt.

Yes.  Hye Bin had tried a few antics to her aunt just so the latter would send her back to her mom. But her aunt Min Ah just knew where to push the buttons to paralyze Hye Bin’s imaginative mind.

For spurting out profane words, her aunt made her write whatever she wants to say for a week. If she uttered a single word, which she defiantly did, the week of punishment turned two weeks. She thought it was fine since there wasn’t a common ground between her and her aunt. But she discovered later on that everything that her needs depended on her aunt. Food, water, clothing, shelter … the basic necessities. She learned her lessons well.

There was this one time that she had told her aunt that she’ll be late in coming home because one of her classmates was going to celebrate her birthday. In truth she went out with her new friends to do club hopping. When she got home, her Aunt Min Ah got this nasty look all over her face which really scared Hye Bin. "We both know that your mom had decided that you’re going to live here in Gongju, with me, until you graduate high school. In order for us to live in harmony, you better start inculcating the word respect into your heart and mind,” her aunt said scolding her. For this, she got extra house chores for a week. Her aunt made it clear to the housekeeper not to help her.

Despite all these, it never stopped Hye Bin from testing her aunt’s patience. She did cut some class. Thrice, actually. She did get away with the first two. She thought she was starting to get away from the watchful eyes of her aunt. The third time she thought she was gonna get away again. But she was wrong. Her aunt followed her and saw her smoking cigarettes and drinking with her new found friends. Her aunt stood in front of her and said, “Park Hye Bin, follow me.”

Hye Bin followed her aunt to the car. They sat in silence as her aunt drove home. When they reached home, her aunt went to their dining table and said softly, “Sit down, Hye Bin.”

She did what she was told and sat there silently her head bowed down.

“I don’t know what to do with you. Your mom doesn’t know what to with you anymore. We don’t want to give up. But how are going to do that if you won’t help yourself. High school is only a part of your life. It is not your whole life. We are here to help you get past it,” her aunt said.

Tears were streaming down her face. Still, she sat there silently.

“Tell me the reason for all these,” her aunt said.

Hye Bin was trying to stifle her sob but she can’t control it anymore. She let it all out. Then her aunt embraced her and rocked her gently.

After a while, her tears slowed down. She could feel her aunt her hair and kept on saying that everything will be alright.

Sensing that Hye Bin’s feelings had settled down, her aunt asked softly, “Are you ready to tell what’s this all about?”

“It’s about my dad,” she said between sobs. "Thank you for finally asking."

“What about him? Did he contact you?” her aunt asked.

“No. But I want to get to know him. I want to understand that other half of me. My friends have a father who loves, cares and protects them. I want that, too, you know. But for mom, it is a taboo topic. I assume that it was a taboo coz everytime I asked her about dad, she gets stoic. Sometimes she would cry for hours. I just don’t know what to do or who to talk to.”

“Your mom loves your dad even to this day. But your dad was already promised to another woman when they’ve met. Still, your mom was insistent believing that love conquers all. But it didn’t though they were happy for a while. By the time she knew she was pregnant, your dad was already married. To this day, your dad doesn’t know you exist,” her aunt explained.

“I saw their letters. I’ve read how much my dad loves mom. But why would he still go on and marry another woman?” Hye Bin asked.

“Because your dad is a son of a chaebol family. Marriage is arranged to unite wealthy families. Our family was just any ordinary family. But we were happy,” her aunt smiled.

“Yeah, I know. Well, until I’ve read those letters.” Hye Bin sighed. “If I write to him, will he come and see me?”

“I don’t know. It’s been fifteen years since I last saw him. I don’t know if he’s still the same man I’ve known before.” Her aunt said.

“Aunt Min Ah, please don’t tell my mom about this. I don’t want to add the pain that she’s feeling. If I’ve known that she still loves him inspite of all that happened, then I shouldn’t have acted that way.” She said regretfully. “And I’m sorry for the things I’ve put you through.”

“I know sweetheart. It’s okay.” Her aunt said wiping her tears. “Now that things are cleared up. I want you to promise me that you’ll stop being a brat and do well in school, okay?” Her aunt said smiling at her. Hye Bin nodded.

“Another thing. If you want to contact your dad-“

“If I have plans to contact my dad I’ll discuss it first with mom,” Hye Bin said.

“Now off to bed.” Her aunt shooed her to her room.

The moment Hye Bin closed the door to her room, tears started to fall from her eyes again.

“I’m sorry, Aunt Min Ah. I lied about contacting my father. But I will make it up to you…..”