The Mess They’re In (Part 3)

In My Heart ... Forever Yours

 

The journey to Gongju seems endless that everytime the bus stops Jae Joong starts fidgeting. In his entire life, Jae Joong never thought that the trip home would take an eternity. It’s a good thing that there only six of them in the bus and he is the only one sitting at the end. Otherwise, they would think that he is a lunatic who forgot to take his medications.

Jae Joong let out a deep sigh. He started reminiscing about their last encounter to let the time pass quickly although he was getting uncomfortable thinking about it. And, the kiss. It is imprinted in his memory … it will be a long time before it fades into just a beautiful memory.

What will I say to her when I meet her again?Jae Joong thought. Then he started practicing what he’s going to say.

Hye Bin-ah, Congratulations.Then he shook his head. No. It just sounds so awkward.

I heard that you graduated top of your class. Congratulations. Then he offered his hands for a handshake. Aish! I sound like an ahjussi.

So, this is how a high school graduate looks like. It must be liberating to finally stretch out that wings and begin the long journey of the real world. Hye Bin-ah Congrats! He offered his hands for a handshake. Then he gestured a friendly hug.

Arrgghhh! I’ll probabby look like an idiot in front of her no matter what I say. I just hope she’ll feel my sincerity. Hye Bin-ah, will fate be on our side this time?

He stared at the window glass praying that everything will be alright.

 

~oOo~

 

“Hye Bin-ah! Are you going home? The party is just starting,” Jae Wook said slightly running towards her.

“The party started hours ago Jae Wook. Everyone inside is starting to get drunk,” she countered. “It’s getting late and I need to get home. I don’t want my aunt worrying about me.”

“Oh! That’s right! Park Hye Bin doesn’t drink!” Jae Wook teased. “Most girls I know had been drunk once or twice during high school but not this friend.”

“Yah! I don’t know if it’s a compliment or an insult!” Hye Bin jabbed him in the stomach. “Go back to the party. Gyu Ri might be looking for you.”

“Actually, Gyu Ri’s been the one who told me to accompany you home. You seemed to stop enjoying the party hours earlier.” Jae Wook explained as they started to walk.

“I’ll do just fine. Now go back in there and enjoy the party.”

“No, I’m taking you home,” Jae Wook insisted. “This is also my way of saying thank you for the time we’ve spent together. For giving our love a chance even though I know you liked somebody else at that time.”

“I’ve learn a lot, too, when we were together.”

“I guess our time together were just another chapter of our lives,” Jae Wook said. 

“Yeah. A preparation for that right person.” Hye Bin said dreamily.

“I think you’ve found him. You are just too stubborn to admit it to him.”

“Yeah. I guess so. Right now, I want him to be my graduation gift. But I guess that’s too much to ask. He’s in Seoul right now doing what he loves the most. Maybe someday when he becomes famous, I’ll start a fan club with me as the president.” They both laughed.

“Nah, I think you’ll be more than that. I think you’ll become a famous photographer. But I’m trying to connect your lives together … Jae Joong a famous singer and you a photographer. But you’re terrible at taking portraiture,” Jae Wook said.

“Ouch!” Hye Bin said feigning a hurtful response to what Jae Wook had just said. “Some friend you are.”

“Better hear it from me than from other people. But you’re good with landscape and street photography. I love the photos you’ve taken during our community activities.”

“Thanks, for the compliment, Jae Wook-ah,” Hye Bin said facing Jae Wook. They were now standing in front of Hye Bin’s house. “Thank you for your efforts so we won’t get awkward with each other everytime we meet.”

“You’re welcome,” Jae Wook said. “You’re a wonderful girl, Hye Bin-ah. I hope you know that.” 

Hye Bin nodded. 

“Come on, give this friend a hug as a promise that we won’t get awkward with each other from today and for the rest of our lives,” Jae Wook said stretching his arms. Hye Bin went into his arms, laughing at Jae Wook’s cheesy way of showing his friendship.

“Friends,” Hye Bin said sincerely.

“Friends,” Jae Wook repeated. Then breaking the embrace, Jae Wook and Hye Bin looked up to the dark skies.

“There are few stars tonight. Maybe they are at Seoul right now helping Jae Joong fulfill his dreams. Jae Joong is the luckiest guy on the planet right now,” Jae Wook said seriously.

‘Everyone has luck in their pockets. You just have to know how to use it,” Hye Bin gave him a dazzling smile.

“But that person has the most of it. Those heavenly bodies are with him right now, protecting him and ….  Jae Joong has your love.”

“Now, I know why Gyu Ri likes you so much. You're such a sensitive guy,” she smiled. “Hey, you better get back to the party. Gyu Ri might start worrying and the rest of the guys maybe too drunk to party.” Hye Bin said.

They said goodnight to each other and she ushered Jae Wook towards the direction they came from.

 

~oOo~

 

Jae Joong had been standing under the shadow of the tree a few meters away from Hye Bin’s house for ten minutes gathering all his courage to walk in front of Hye Bin’s doorstep.

When he was about to step out of the shadow of the tree he saw Hye Bin walking towards the house. Seeing her brought smile to his lips. His heart begun to beat faster. However, such happiness was short-lived. He saw Jae Wook a step behind her.

Jae Joong wished he could hear what they are talking about. His friend told him they broke up. But why are they still together at this time of the night? Jae Joong thought. They seem to be enjoying each other’s company.

Then he saw Hye Bin went into the arms of Jae Wook happily. The smile that she gave Jae Wook almost tore his heart. They seem to be whispering at each other’s ear. When they broke their embrace, they stared at the stars. Probably making plans for the future, he thought. A future that excludes me from her life. Jae Wook sunbae, Hye Bin has your love. You’re such a lucky guy.

Not bearing to see the two of them together, Jae Joong started walking to the other direction where Hye Bin and Jae Wook came.

This is the worst day of my life, He thought to himself wiping the tears away from his eyes. This pain is too much. I was so stupid to believe that she could be mine. I guess she found what she was looking for in Jae Wook sunbae. She made it clear that I was just a dongsaeng to her.

Jae Joong continued walking with a heavy heart. He walked on without looking back. Only the wind in the air was the witness of his misery.