Getting There

In My Heart ... Forever Yours

2005

“Yoo Chun hyung, I can’t believe we are standing here together with the greatest stars of South Korea,” Junsu whispered. The event was for cause to which JYJ supported. It also showcased other Korean artists in the field of singing, dancing, modeling and acting.

“Yeah, me too. Wave your hands and keep on smiling,” Yoo Chun whispered back. “You too, Jae Joong hyung.” However, Yoo Chun saw that Jae Joong was staring at someone. “Hyung, who are you staring at?”

“Someone I know who I didn’t know made it big in the world of acting and modeling,” Jae Joong replied between his smiles.

“Jeongmal? Gongju must be a great place. It produced a lot of talented artists,” Junsu said, continuously waving the crowd.

Kim Jae Wook. The guy Hye Bin chose. Even after four years, the memory of that night came gushing in to his consciousness. It went down to his heart causing it to constrict. The pain of the lost love was still there.

Though he had girlfriends after that incident, but they never measured up to Hye Bin. Jae Joong knows he had been unfair with his ex-girlfriends but still he is thankful to them for making him realize that he found the love of his life in Hye Bin.

Hye Bin, Jae Joong sighed. Are you two still together?I long for the day when we will meet again. Free from commitments. Standing before you … you seeing me as a man inspite of our age difference. I have become someone whom you can be proud of. 

Sensing that someone was watching him, Kim Jae Wook turned his head and saw Jae Joonng. Jae Wook smiled and waved. Jae Joong smiled awkwardly and slowly moved towards the exit of the stage.

"Kim Jae Joong, look at you!" Jae Wook said as he caught up with Jae Joong. “Your band had become a halyu star. Should I call you sunbae-nim?”

Jae Joong was a bit ill at ease at the way Jae Wook was approaching him. They weren’t close or anything. And, there’s Hye Bin in between them.

“It’s just that our sacrifices paid off,” Jae Joong said humbly. “Jae Wook sunbae, I didn’t know you became a model?”

“A talent scout had given me his card and said to drop by for an audition. So, I went to there, got picked and the rest is history. Lately, I have been trying my hand at acting,” Jae Wook explained.

“Oh by the way,” Jae Joong said as they came where Yoo Chun and Junsu stood. They were about to enter to JYJ’s dressing room. “This is Park Yoo Chun and Kim Junsu.”

“Anyeong Haseyo. Nice to meet you.” Yoo Chun and Junsu said slightly bowing their heads.

“Chun-Ah, Junsu-ah, this is Kim Jae Wook, my high school sunbae,” Jae Joong continued.

“Anyeong haseyo. Nice to meet you, too. Please take good care of me,” Jae Wook said slightly bowing his head and at the same time offering his hand for a handshake to which Yoo Chun and Junsu obliged.

“Wait a minute,” Jae Wook continued. “Park Yoo Chun? Park Yoo Chun … I’ve heard that name before. Do you by any chance know a girl named Park Hye Bin?”

Jae Joong tensed upon hearing Hye Bin’s name. What the heck is going on?

“You mean Park Hye Bin, the photographer?”

Jae Wook nodded in agreement. “Yes. Do you know her personally?”

“Definitely yes! She’s one of my best friends. We used to be playmates when we were little. I’ve lost communication with her when my family migrated to the United States. But, I’ve met her again just before we debut.  We did a lot of catching up. About these and those. However, because of our busy schedule, we seldom see each other. We do send text messages with each other every now and then.”

 “Yoo Chun-Ah, You k-know Park Hye Bin?” Jae Joong asked bewildered by the turn of the discourse.

“Yes. We use to be neighbors here in Seoul, however, her mom sent her to her aunt in Gonju. Something to do about being in a rebellious phase says my mom. I even went there when I was-  Hyung, don’t tell me Hye Bin noona is that girl you’ve been talking about?” Yoo Chun asked suddenly when he saw Jae Joong’s reaction.

“Yes. That’s her name.” Jae Joong said.

“And this is the guy,” Yoo Chun said further.

“Yes, he’s the guy.” Jae Joong said affirmatively.

Jae Wook looked at them perplexedly trying to understand where their conversation is going.

“So you’re the guy who took away Jae Joong hyung’s girl,” Junsu suddenly said.

“Junsu-ah,” Jae Joong said, embarrassed by Junsu’s outburst. “It’s something they mutually agreed.”

“But hyung, it had hurt you deeply. Though you may not say it in many ways, Yoo Chun hyung and I have always felt your pain in the songs you’ve written or those we sang,” Junsu countered.

“Let’s just say that as long as Hye Bin is happy then I am happy, too.”

“That’s settle it then,” Yoo Chun conclude, sensing Jae Joong’s change of disposition. Then to Jae Wook, he said, “I’ll talk to Hye Bin noona tomorrow and scold her for keeping secrets from me.”

“Jae Wook sunbae,” Jae Joong said after clearing his throat. “We need to get going. See you around and nice meeting you again. Say hi to Hye-Hye Bin for me,” Jae Joong said trying to make the atmosphere lighter. As he started to follow Yoo Chun and Junsu towards the door of their dressing room, Jae Wook softly grabbed Jae Joong’s shoulder.

“I just thought you should know. Hye Bin and I had broken up four years ago.”