Him and Her

In My Heart ... Forever Yours

 

“That kid Jae Joong had been hanging around you. He’s like, wherever you are, expect that you’ll see that kid within 500 meter radius,” Her friend Lee Ji Eun teased. They were hanging out at Hye Bin’s house.

“It’s because I’m a cool noona,” Hye Bin said.

“The last time I checked he doesn’t even call you noona. Weird that you just let him get away with it. Come to think of it. Ever since you guys won that talent show up to this time, he never called you noona,” Ji Eun countered.

“Don’t be too hard on him. He’s just a kid,” she defended.

“And I think that kid likes you. Aigoo! Having great genes must be awesome.” Ji Eun said pinching Hye Bin’s cheeks.

“Yah! That hurts!” she pinched Ji Eun back and together they fell on their backs on the bed of Hye Bin bursting with laughter.

“See? I told you he likes me because I’m cool,” Hye Bin insisted. “But seriously the kid got a great vision for himself. At thirteen, he knows what he wants and is so passionate about it. He loves to dance. He loves to sing. He writes poems which, according to him, are a practice for his songwriting in the future. He says he’s going to chase after his dreams no matter what.”

“Darn kid! He makes us look like losers,” Ji Eun said.

xxx                   xxx                   xxx

 

“Hye Bin-ah,” her aunt called from downstairs. “Sleep early, okay? We have to early tomorrow to pick up your mom at the bus terminal.”

“Neh,” she answered from her room.

That arrangement was made when Hye Bin wasn’t able to come visit her mom in Seoul because she was busy with school activities. So, her mom comes to Gongju once a month for the mother-daughter bonding.

But she wasn’t interested with that right now. As she sat by her window in room and as she stares at the stars she recounted her conversation with Ji Eun earlier in her mind.

Does he really like me? She thought. I can’t remember a single day since we met that we haven’t hang out or talked. He’s always there even in his awkward stage. Asking about this and that. Borrowing and returning some stuff. Showing me something. Telling me about his family or friends or school stuff.

I must admit he’s good looking and tall for his age. The way his eyes lit up when he finds or feels wonderful. His contagious laughter. His angelic smile.

He’ll probably make a lot of young girls cry.

I must be crazy! What the heck is happening with me? She sighed. Why am I thinking romantically about a thirteen year old kid? She shivered brushing the thought. He is just a kid. He kind of reminds me of Yoo Chun … the way Jae acts, talks and thinks. I should introduce those two.

She closed her window and went to sleep.

xxx                   xxx                   xxx

 

Oblivious to Hye Bin, Jae Joong had been standing below in the shadows observing Hye Bin.

I would give anything just to know what she was thinking, he thought.

Ever since Hye Bin turned sixteen, Jae Joong had been anxious. She had been getting more and more attention from guys and he feels that it’s not fair that he can’t join them the crowd.

Because Hye Bin thinks I’m just a kid, he thought as he started walking back to his house when he saw that she closed her window and turned off the lights. He knew her mom would be coming tomorrow.

What’s the big deal of three years gap? I mean, I know a couple who had ten years gap and they are happy.

I know that she knows I like her but she interpreted it wrongly. She thought I like her like a sister. Arrrggghhh! This is so frustrating! And my friends are not helping because she’s sixteen and older.

I should be calling you noona but the moment I do that the distance that you’re trying to gain would stretch so far and you might just see me as a dongsaeng.

Hye Bin … You just know how you inspire me. You words of wisdom. The care that you show. Your patience. The time that you give just to listen to my issues and assuring me that this is just a phase.

I’ll always treasure our moments together.

I love you Hye Bin. Please wait for me…