When They First Met

In My Heart ... Forever Yours

 

Hye Bin had been elated for several weeks now to a point that she’s glowing. Even her aunt thought she is seeing someone to which she strongly denied, of course. Yes, she was seeing someone but it’s nothing romantic. She just feels way over the moon because of her new found relationship with her dad.

However, today is one of those days wherein she just wants to disappear somewhere. From elation she now feels anxious. Her aunt had entered one of her photos to a talent show here in Gonju. A lot of people had told her that she takes beautiful photos but she doesn’t have the confidence yet to show it to the professionals.

“Cheer up, sweetie,” her aunt said as they entered the venue of the show.

“Oh God! The participants are kids! This is so embarrassing. The most embarrassing moment of my life,” Hye Bin said wishing the ground where she stood would open and swallow her up.

“Hey! That would be unfair. You competing with these kids. Actually, the show have categories. There’s singing, dancing, musical instrument competition, short films etc, etc. Yours fall under the category of amateur photography contest. According to their website, the community is trying to support local artists and potential artist gain confidence and improve their craft,” her aunt explained.

Hye Bin let out a deep sigh. When her aunt is in this mode there is no stopping her. The show started. Though she won’t admit it to her aunt, Hye Bin enjoyed the event. Then came the announcemeny of winners. She came in third.

“Not bad for an amateur,” her aunt whispered to her.

As she receive her award, she passed a group of boys who also won first prize from the dancing competition. They were the ones practicing beside the street on the day she met her dad. They started whispering to each other again just like they did that day.

They were not allowed to go back to their seats yet as the host continued to announce the winners from the other categories and later on for pictorial for documentation purpose. So, she stood beside them. She smiled at one of them.

“Congratulations,” she said to a twelve or thirteen-year old boy.

“T-Thanks,” he said. This earned a lot of hoots coming from his friends.

“Your friends are crazy but talented,” she smiled at him. “By the way, I’m Park Hye Bin.,” she sad as she offered her hand.

“I’m Kim Jae Joong,” he said self-consciously as he took her hands for the handshake.

“Nice meeting you, Kim Jae Joong.”

“Nice meeting you, too. Park Hye Bin,” Jae Joong said looking straight in her eyes.

Where did the shy boy who was talking to go? She thought. He is staring at me. Wait. Do I have dirt on my face? She secretly used the trophy that she’s holding as a mirror. She saw no dirt on her face.

“Hey, that’s noona to you since I’m older than you,” she said patting his head.

“You’re not my sister,” he pouted. “You don’t recognize me. Do you?”

“What do you mean?” she asked.

“I live two blocks away from your house.” he replied.

“Oh.”

“Since you are not my sister, I won’t be calling you noona. If you want me to call you noona you have to earn it.”

“What?!” Hye Bin was bewildered by this kid’s words. “But that would be disrespectful.”

“I don’t care. Park Hye Bin-sshi.” he said defiantly.

“You know what?  You’re cute. But it if go on acting that way a lot of people might scold you for being disrespectful.” She explained. “Okay, just this once I’ll let it pass since your team won first place.”

The host announced for a group picture for all the winners. Afterwards, everyone went down from the stage and was met by families and friends to congratulate them.

xxx                   xxx                   xxx                   xxx                   xxx                   xxx                    

Kim Jae Joong feels like he’s floating. Not because their team won first place but because Park Hye Bin talked to him. He had a huge crush on her since she came to Gonju. His friends had been teasing him about it.

But what’s worrying him is that his crush is older than him. Three years older than him. He saw a lot of guys her age and even older than her likes her especially the now Park Hye Bin.

What do I need for her to notice me?Jae Joong asked himself. Someday, I’ll make you mine …