Chapter 40

Storm Rising

Jisun stiffly walked through the woods with her heart hammering in her chest. The masked lady was right beside her with the gun the man had previously pointed at her. Behind her, she knew that man was with Yongguk still. She hated being forced to leave him but what else could she do. So did as she was told and began walking. All the while, she felt her knife hidden inside her sling and mentally prepared herself to use it when the time came.
They emerged out of the woods and stepped on to the dirt road. There was a truck parked on it but it wasn't the same one they had saw earlier. Before she had a chance to look around at anything else, a hood was slipped over her head.
Someone grabbed her good arm and dragged her forward towards the truck. She heard the sound of a door opening before she was roughly pushed. She felt around with her right hand as she carefully climbed in to the vehicle. As soon as she got in, she heard the door slammed shut. Then the vehicle's engine started and she felt them move forward
She shifted in her sit a little as she got her bearings. With the way the truck was facing and how quickly she was forced to it, she was sitting on the left side. Then she felt someone brush her arm. She froze, not wanting to take the chance to upset the bad guy next to her. Then she jumped a little when she felt her arm brushed.
She turned her head slightly even though she couldn't see. It was just an automatic reaction. Then the person beside her nudged her arm a little before resting their head on her shoulder. She blinked in surprise as her mind went blank. She slowly moved her right arm to touch them with her elbow. She felt what she thought was their arm and followed it downwards. Instead of moving to the front though, their arm was behind them. As if... their hands were tied behind their back.
Her eyes watered with the realization that it wasn't just anyone beside her. It was one of the boys. Someone else had gotten caught besides her and Yongguk. She swallowed thickly as she tried to keep her composure. Then she felt them take their head off her shoulder. Immediately she leaned her head against them. They rubbed their head against hers, attempting to calm and reassure her. It was hard though as her body started shaking. Because she knew they had to be taking them back to the mine. The place where she had been tortured. And she knew that whoever was with her was in for something worse.

The truck came to a stop and seconds later, the motor was shut off. She listened carefully but didn't hear anything. It seemed like they were just silently sitting there. As if they were waiting. Finally her door creaked open. Her left arm was grabbed and she was pulled. Jisun cried out in pain as she grabbed her left shoulder and quickly exited the vehicle. She stumbled away from the truck a couple of steps before she was yanked to a stop. The hood was ripped of her head and then she was pushed forward, causing her to stumble again.
As she caught her balance, she glanced around. The road the were on showed heavy signs of not being used but fresh tracks at the same time. They were completely surrounded by trees and a  few feet away was a mine entrance. It wasn't the same one from before though which meant this was either another entrance or a completely different mine.
She turned around and spotted the person she had been sitting next to. Plus all the other people with them. There must have been about a dozen of them, all in masks to hide their faces. One of them lifted the hood of the other captive before pushing him forward.
As soon as he saw her, he hurried to her. "Are you okay noona?" questioned Youngjae.
She nodded and reached her hand to grab his arm. Then he was pushed again, sideways so they were separated. Jisun turned her attention to the masked person approaching her. They lifted their hand and reached for her neck. When their hand grabbed the metal chains, panic took over.
"No!" she shrieked and smacked their arm. Then she quickly grabbed the tags through her shirt to stop them from taking them.
A hand slapped her across the face and her head whipped to the side as she closed her eyes. With her left arm damaged, she restored to kicking her leg out. Then she was hit even harder and she fell to the ground. She landed hard and her head hit the ground because she didn't want to take her hand off the tags to catch herself.
She blinked a few times as she rolled over and looked up. Just in time to see Youngjae twist his body in to a back roundhouse kick. His foot connected with her attacker's head and sent them reeling to the ground. They didn't get back up.
Youngjae stood between her and the rest of the group, his feet spread as if he was ready to attack again. She glanced around, fearful about him being so out numbered. Then she held her breath as another masked person stepped closer to Youngjae. They reached behind them and when their hand reappeared, there was a gun in it. Without hesitating, they brought their arm up and pulled the trigger.
Jisun screamed as Youngjae's body jerked before he fell on to the ground. She scrambled over to him and saw the gunshot wound about an inch under his left collarbone. Blood seeped out of it, quickly soaking through his shirt. She put her hand over it in an attempt to stop the bleeding.
"Come on." a gruff voice said and a second later, she was tugged to her feet.
"No! No!" she yelled and tried to get away so she could stay with him. Another person grabbed her and together, they dragged her away. She kept yelling and screaming as she watched the person with the gun approach Youngjae. They lifted their foot and stomped on his shoulder, causing the black haired boy to cry out in pain. The masked person leaned down and yanked Youngjae's tags off, breaking the chain they were on. Then the gunman pointed the gun at Youngjae's head.
Before she could see what happened next, she was punched in the face and her vision went blurry. She closed her eyes as pain radiated through her head. Tears quickly formed and spilled down her cheeks. She didn't struggle anymore as she felt them pull the tags over her neck. Then she was lead away and she opened her eyes to see where they were taking her.
The string of lights by the ceiling illuminated the dirt walls of the mine. There were wood boards pressed against the walls every few couple of feet and above them were more boards spread across the ceiling. They were support beams to help insure the tunnel wouldn't collapse. By the looks of the wood though, they had been there a long time.
Her heart sunk in to her stomach as she remembered the last time she was captured. Then her thoughts wandered to Youngjae as she hung her head in defeat. "Why are you doing this?" she sobbed.
Not surprisingly, neither person answered her. They just kept leading her deeper and deeper in to the mind, passing several other passages until they made her turn in to one. Then into yet another passage. This one though lead to a room with a large cage in it with room for four people. And there was already a person in it.
"Himchan." she whined.
His head jerked up and his eyes widened. Then he quickly got to his feet and moved to the front of the cage. "Jisun. Are you okay?"
She whined again as she cried but nodded her head. Her two captives lead her closer to the cage but stopped a couple of steps away.
"Move back." came a male's voice. "To the end. And turn around."
Himchan shifted his gaze to the man and his eyes narrowed as he glared. He did as he was ordered though and backed up from the cage door. He turned around and moved to the very back of the cage where he grabbed the bars.
One person moved forward and undid the lock on the cage. Then they swung the door open and she was pushed forward. She entered the cage and heard the door slammed shut behind her. She didn't bother looking back though and hurried forward.
As soon as she reached him, he swiftly turned around and wrapped his arms around her. She buried her face in to his shoulder as she cried uncontrollably. But he pushed her away and grabbed her hand. She looked at it and saw the blood on it.
"Where are you hurt?" he worriedly questioned as he began to examine her.
"It's not my blood." she weakly said. Then she felt herself break down again as she clutched at him. He hugged her once more and this time, didn't let go. Her legs gave out but she didn't fall. He held her up and gently lowered her to the cage floor as he sat down. Then he rocked her while trying to soothe her.

Once she was able to control herself, she pulled back and wiped at her face. He kept a hand on her though, gently rubbing her back.
"It's okay." he quietly said.
She shook her head though. "How is anything going to be okay?" she sobbed.
Himchan sighed but didn't say anything. She wasn't sure if it was cause he didn't have an answer or if he knew that no matter what he said, she wouldn't believe him.
"Where's Yongguk?" he asked instead.
She shook her head again. "I don't know. They separated us." Then she took a shaky breath. "I was in a truck with Youngjae. They..." She self-consciously wiped her hand on her pants even though most of the blood was on Himchan's shirt from when she grabbed him. "They shot him." she managed to choke out.
The hand rubbing her back stopped as he froze. Fear showed in his eyes as he his lips. "Is... Is he..."
"No." she told him. She reached up and touched the spot on her body where Youngjae had been shot. "They shot him here."
Himchan bit his bottom lip and slowly nodded. "So he's alive still." he stated, obviously relieved.
"But... But they pointed the gun at him again." she continued. "I didn't see if they... If they..."
He regarded her for a moment before tilting his head curiously. "Did you hear anything?"
"Huh?" she questioned in confusion.
"Did you hear anything?" he repeated. "Did you hear the gun go off again?"
She thought about his words as she remembered being lead in to the mind. Then she gasped. "No." she hurriedly declared. "I didn't hear them shoot."
His hand on her back started moving again. "So he's probably alive." Then he sighed again. "And it means we're all here."
Her eyes widened in surprise. "Daehyun and Jongup are here too?" She slumped, disheartened. It meant there was no possibility of a rescue. "We should have just stayed together." she bitterly said. "Maybe we would have stood a chance then."
"That wasn't the point of splitting up." Himchan told her.
She looked at him curiously. "Then... why?"
He reached with his free hand and held her right hand. "You told me they wanted Yongguk's tags. That meant they knew the tags are the keys to the ship."
She suddenly remembered Zelo telling her that when he helped her escape. "I told them the tags control the ship." She had been so focused on him handing her his tag that she didn't realize the full meaning of what he said.
"And it's plausible that Zelo told them that we needed the ship to cure Yongguk. Which means they didn't even have to wander the forest and find our hideout." Himchan continued. "They knew we would go to the ship."
Things were already looking bad to her but this new information made everything much worse. "We never had a chance." she stated as fresh tears welled up in her eyes. "They set a trap."
Himchan squeezed her hand. "It was a risk we had to take. And that's why there was a back up plan."
"Splitting up?" she asked.
He nodded his head. "There was no way Daehyun could have ran but he was in no shape to fight either. Me and Jongup stayed with him. Youngjae split off as a distraction. Trying to get at least a couple to chase him. Maybe even get away and get the ship on his own." He took his hand off of her back and placed it on top of her hand. "You and Yongguk were to run and not stop. To get as far away as possible." he quietly said.
She furrowed her eyebrows. "But... But the ship... The medicine."
Himchan offered her a small smile. "It was his idea." he softly said. "To get you as far away from danger as possible. He said... That he didn't care. About the medicine. If it meant you not getting hurt, he would suffer through the headaches until he..."
The pink haired man trailed off but she didn't need him to finish anyways. She understood what he was saying. Just as Zelo sacrificed himself to make sure he wouldn't hurt anyone again, Yongguk was willing to sacrifice himself to make sure she escaped. Probably by leaving town and never looking back.
The tears that had been forming freed themselves from her eyes and rolled down her cheeks. A lump grew in and no matter how much she swallowed, it wouldn't go away. Himchan scooted as close as he could and wrapped an arm around her. He pulled her closer so she would lean on him as he held her.
"I... I think... he loves you." Himchan whispered.
She squeezed her eyes shut as her heart skipped a beat. At the same time, there was pain though. The pain of wondering if she would ever see him again. And it was worse than last time.  When he disappeared and she cried in her tree house while holding his tags.
"I think... I love him too." she quietly said, her voice straining as she began to cry.