Chapter 34

Storm Rising

M Warning: This chapter contains some 'extreme violence' that not everyone will be comfortable with. It's broken up in to 3 parts. Skip the 2nd/middle part if you don't want to read it. The 3rd/last part has a highly suggestive moment at the end as well. It's not descriptive but some people may want to skim over it.

 

Jisun's eyes shot open as her body tensed. She breathed heavily, listening to her surroundings. It was quiet though. She didn't hear anything that would have woken her so quickly. She let out the breath she had been holding and looked over at the other cage. Suyun was still inside it and their hands were still clasped together.
Suyun's eyes fluttered open and she softly smiled. "I thought I was hallucinating but you really are here." Then the smile faded from her face. "I'm sorry. That you're here."
Jisun swallowed and pressed her lips together. She gave Suyun's hand a little squeeze of reassurance. "It was Zelo." she quietly said. "They... did something... to him. He brought me here."
Suyun furrowed her eyebrows in thought. "They must have reprogrammed him somehow. If you can get him back to B.A.P's ship, his program can be wiped and reinstalled."
"Daehyun and Jongup found the ship." Jisun continued. Then she remembered Himchan saying that the ship Suyun came here on wasn't an option. "What about your ship?"
Another small smile formed on her face. "I made it self-destruct before these bastards got their hands on it." She sighed. "We got the signal from B.A.P's ship saying they found a suitable energy source. Then they got attacked before they could warn us. We landed and were ambushed as well."
Jisun blinked in surprise at the other girl. That was a lot of information all at once. Something that she never really experienced before. Suyun must have noticed the puzzled look on Jisun's and asked, "What?"
"I... That..." she stuttered.
"Let me guess; Himchan." Suyun offered. "He always was set on rules and secrecy. I'm not surprised he kept lots of stuff from you." Then she smirked. "I can imagine his annoyance once he finds out I didn't keep my mouth shut."
Despite herself, Jisun giggled a little. She could easily imagine that too. Himchan sighing in frustration and glaring.
"Yongguk." Suyun suddenly said and gave the other girl an earnest look. "I wasn't dreaming that right? He really did make it to the house?"
"Yes." she replied. "He made it safely."
Suyun closed her eyes and took a deep breath before letting it out. "That makes me so happy." Then she opened her eyes and frowned. "What about the medicine?"
Jisun felt her heart sink in to her stomach, instantly worrying about Yongguk. "They... They need to get him to the ship. To make more medicine." she quietly stated.
There was a moment of silence before Suyun solemnly said, "He had another headache."
She felt her eyes watering and bit her bottom lip. She didn't say it out right but she was sure the other girl knew the answer. Which is why she felt her hand get squeezed.
"As long as he has you, he'll be fine." Suyun offered soothingly. Then a tiny chuckle. "And I should apologize. When we first met, I snapped at you. I'm so sorry about that."
Jisun sobbed a little and nodded. "I know you were just protecting him." She let out an unamused chuckle as well. "Zelo got in trouble with Himchan for telling me."
Suyun hummed as she smiled a little. Then she looked a Jisun, almost pleading. "Can... Can I ask something of you?"
"Uh... yeah." Jisun answered.
Suyun took her other hand and grabbed at her neck. She pulled the metal chain over her head before reaching through the cage towards Jisun. Her fingers were bruised and swollen, as if they had been broken, and in her hand were her dog tags. "Take these. Please. I don't want them to stay in here."
Panic seized Jisun as she stared wide eyed at the tags. "But..."
"You have something they want so they won't kill you." Suyun softly said. "But I'm not holding on to any hope that I'm getting out of here. Please Jisun. Take them."
Hesitantly, Jisun let go of Suyun's hand and grabbed the tags. She pulled her hand back and shoved them in to her pocket to hide them. "It's Yongguk's tags." she told Suyun.
"So you do have them." Suyun commented with a pleased smile. "I love it when I'm right."
Jisun swallowed thickly. "I won't tell them." she declared, her voice sounding as weak as she felt. Yet she was determined.
"I know you won't." said Suyun. "It'll be hard, but I know you can make it. I believe in you."
At that moment, Jisun heard footsteps and her heartbeat quickened. She twisted in the cage and sat up a little. Zelo knelt down by the door to her cage and put the key in to the padlock. A panicked whine tore from as she pressed herself against the opposite side of the cage.
"ZELO shutdown."
She tore her gaze away from the boy to look at Suyun. The other girl was propped up on her arms and Jisun saw how hard even that was. Every muscle twitched as her arms violently shook, ready to give out at any moment.
"ZELO shutdown." Suyun loudly repeated before saying, "ZELO reboot." Then something that Jisun couldn't understand in Matoki.
Jisun quickly looked back at the boy and inhaled sharply. Zelo was frozen in place and had a distant look in his eyes. Then he suddenly shook his head and blinked rapidly. He frowned at Suyun and stood up. "Knock that off." he angrily demanded and kicked Suyun's cage.
Grumbling, Zelo knelt back down and took the padlock off of Jisun's cage. He opened the door before standing and taking a step back. "If I have to make you get out, it'll be even worse."
Jisun swallowed and glanced briefly at Suyun. The girl was staring at her, silently communicating. In her eyes, Jisun saw fear and sadness but also firm determination. Jisun gave a quick nod before hurrying out of the cage. As she stood, she felt her stiff muscles protesting and a slight dizziness overcame her. Then Zelo grabbed her arm and dragged her away.

Jisun was lead to the same room as before and over to the chain. Zelo knelt down and swiftly put the cuff on her leg. When he stood up, he smirked and eyed her. "Are you ready for this?" he questioned amusingly.
She looked away, preferring to stare at the rock wall as she mentally prepared herself. She drew on not only Yongguk for strength, but Suyun to. She had to do this for Suyun if nothing else.
Zelo slowly walked around her and she willed her body to relax. Except a pain in stomach caused the muscles on her tummy to tighten. "I'm hungry." she suddenly blurted out loud.
Zelo moved in front of her and shrugged indifferently. So she put her hands on her stomach and whimpered. "I'm really hungry." she whined, making her voice shake. "I'm so hungry I can't stand it. Give me food and I'll tell you anything."
He raised an eyebrow and watched her curiously. Then he scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Cute."
She dropped her hands and stopped the act. "Can't blame me for trying." she said, her voice not wavering.
He stepped closer and gently cupped her face with both of his hands. "Oh noona." he softly said.
Jisun stiffened as she inhaled sharply. Then all the air rushed out of her as she felt him knee her in the groin. She pressed her legs together and fell to her knees. Grimacing, she squeezed her eyes shut and waited for the pain to fade.
Her head was suddenly yanked back by her hair and she opened her eyes. She saw the knife in his hand as he brought his arm back. Then he swung. A harsh sting bloomed on her cheek as she jerked her head away. He let go of her hair and she quickly brought up her hand to her face. When she pulled it back, she saw the line of red blood on her hand.
"Are you going to keep being cute with me?" Zelo questioned as he knelt down.
She brought her gaze up to look at him and shivered at the coldness in his eyes. And again when he smirked at her once more. Then he lashed out and her head was whipped to the side. Before she could recover, she was smacked again and then yet again.
Her body gave up at that point and she slumped to the ground. She felt herself rolled on to her stomach and then a heavy weight settled on her. Her right arm was grabbed and painfully twisted behind her back.
"Okay, where was I?" Zelo mused. "Oh right. This one." He grabbed her small, pinky finger.
She inhaled sharply as her heart skip a beat. As soon as she felt the tip of the knife touch her skin, she squirmed and a panicked cry tore from . Then a scream as she felt the point push itself under her nail.
"I think this is my favorite thing to do to you." he stated nonchalantly as he kept her pinned down. "Since it makes you scream so much. But that might change. I have a few new ideas I want to test on you."
Tears poured out of eyes, mixing with the dirt on the ground and dirtying her face. She screamed and screamed until she felt a small amount of relief when he pulled the knife out. Only to have her ring finger experience the same excruciating pain. She thrashed around uselessly while screaming until she gasped for air when he released that finger. Then more screaming when she felt him move on to her other finger.
When he was finally done, she felt him get off of her. She immediately curled in to a ball on her side and cradled her hand to her chest. She kept her eyes closed, not wanting to see what kind of bloody mess he left her with.
"Tell me where the tags are and we can stop." Zelo told her as he walked around her.
Jisun let out a small sob and held her hand to her even tighter. Every step she heard, his feet scraping through the dirt, felt like he was stabbing her in the heart with that knife. Then she heard him stop by her head and she chanced opening her eyes.
He knelt down and brushed one hand over the side of her face. "Please noona. Don't make me keep hurting you." he quietly said.
Jisun swallowed thickly and her parched lips. She remained silent though. As she stared at his wide, pleading eyes, she thought about the look that Suyun had given her. "I'm not going to tell them." she firmly thought.
Suddenly Zelo grabbed her hair and yanked her upwards. She hissed and quickly sat up.
"Or am I going to have to carve out one of your eyes?" he inquired with a little grin and brought his other hand up. He held the knife level with the sharp point a mere inch from her left eye.
She instantly flinched and tried to move back but his hand clutching her hair kept her in place. A strangled cry rose up in as he slowly move the knife closer until she could feel a sharp prick just beneath her eye. Then he stopped.

She stared at him, not daring to even breathe, and he returned her gaze with a blank look. Then he blinked a few times and released her hair. Immediately, she scooted backwards away from him until she felt the chain stop her.
He blinked a few more times before moving forward. She whimpered as her heartbeat sped up with fear. When he was next to her, he wrapped his arms around her which caused her to scream. Her whole body shook as she squeezed her eyes shut and anxiously waited.
"Keep screaming noona." he whispered in her ear. "That way they think I'm still hurting you."
Her jaw quivered as she opened her eyes, confused. Was this another trick?
"I'm sorry noona. I'm so sorry." he whined and pressed his face in to her neck. Then he pulled back and she saw the way his eyes were watering. "I have to get you out of here."
She stared at him with wide eyes as she watched him grab the chain. He unlocked the cuff, freeing her, and stood. When he reached a hand down to her, she instinctively shrunk back. He froze for a second, looking at her in surprise. Then he dropped the knife and knelt down. Before she could move back, he gently grabbed her hand with both of his.
"It's me noona." he said, almost pleading. "I swear on your strawberry jam that it's me. The real me."
dropped open "Wha..."
"I rebooted and somehow..." He trailed off and shook his head before standing. "Come on please. I'll take you to the exit."
She hesitated for a moment, not daring to hope. When he urged her more though, she let him help her to her feet. He gripped her wrist with one hand and bent down to pick up the knife with the other. Her heart instantly skipped a beat but instead of turning on her, he pulled her towards the mine shaft and they turned to go the opposite way of the cages.
Her mind raced with endless thoughts until one particular one made her stop. Zelo quickly turned around and gave her a questioning look.
"Suyun." she quietly uttered, thinking about the trapped girl.
Zelo furrowed his eyebrows, clearly debating with himself, before nodding. "We have to hurry." he said as they turned around.
Jisun did her best to keep up a quick pace but her balance was off. Part of her wondered if it had to do with the blow to the side of her head from the first beating. Then she pushed that thought away to concentrate even more on her steps.
When they reached the other room, Jisun hurried to the cages. Her heart sunk in her chest though when they were all empty. "She's gone." she said, her voice cracking. She turned to Zelo. "Where would they take her?"
The boy cursed and ran a hand through his hair. "Couple places I can think of." Then he cursed again. "But Suyun-noona would kill me if I didn't get you to safety first."
"But.." Jisun protested.
Zelo shook his head. "No noona. You can't stay.." He cut off as his head suddenly jerked. He closed his eyes and winced as he put a hand to his forehead. "I have to get you out of here." he proclaimed. Then he opened and his eyes. "Please."
She gave the cages one last look, feeling her heart tear in two. He was right. "Okay." she said with a brief nod.
He grabbed her wrist once more and they quickly left the room. When they came up to the torture room, she shuddered as she peered in to the room. Thankfully Zelo kept going past it as they hurried through the mine shaft.
Suddenly, Zelo took a step and his leg gave out. He quickly put a hand on the rock wall to steady himself as he got back to his feet. Without pausing, he started walking again.
Jisun looked at him worriedly. "Are you.."
"Just keep going." he earnestly said while interrupting her. "No matter what. Ke-ke eep go-o-ing." Then he shook his head.
"He's malfunctioning." she thought, horrified. Bright light grabbed her attention though and she looked down the shaft. She let out a gasp as she saw the entrance and the dawn light illuminating the mine.
The entrance was closed off with metal bars and a door that was chained closed. She knew it was to keep people from getting in just in case the mine collapsed. The fact that the entrance wasn't sealed off with concrete meant that bats used the mine as a home once.
Zelo took the same key he used to unlock the cuff from her leg and put it in the padlock. It sprung open and he unwrapped the chain holding the door before pushing it open. Jisun stumbled out of the mine, taking deep breaths of fresh air. Relief flooded her as she saw all the trees. Then a noise made her quickly turn around.
Zelo had closed the door and was wrapping the chain around it. Then he put the padlock back in place. While staying in the mine.
"Zelo!" she exclaimed as she hurried to the entrance. She reached through the bars and desperately clung to him.
"You have to run noona. Get out of here." he told here.
"No, no, no." she protested as a couple of tears spilled from her eyes.
He reached through the bars and held her as well. "I can still feel it in me." he confessed. "That... thing. Whatever it is. It's still in me." His gaze wandered over her battered face. "I... I can't risk hurting anyone anymore."
"They found the ship." she argued. "Youngjae can fix you."
"I can change again before that." he countered. He pulled back and she clutched at him tighter while letting out a sob.
He reached up and slipped the metal chain over his neck. Then he put it over her head. She stared down at his dog tags in shock and Zelo took that moment of distraction to yank himself from her grip. She quickly looked up and reached for him again but he was out of range.
"I told them the tags control the ship." he stated. "That's why they want them. Keep them safe."
"The only way a warrior would part with their tag is if..." That's what Zelo had told her before and panic seized her.
Suddenly loud voices could be heard in the mine. Zelo whipped around and peered down the shaft. Then he brought his hand up and held the knife to his throat. A strangled cry tore from Jisun's throat, making Zelo quickly look at her.
"Run!" he ordered harshly. Then more softly, he added, "Don't... Don't look."
She wanted to stand there and scream at him. To make him come with her. But the look he gave her, so full of guilt and sadness as he silently begged, stopped her. She stumbled back as her jaw shook. Then she turned around and ran.