Chapter 25

Storm Rising

Jisun let out a heavy sigh as she curled up on the bed. When the had gotten back to the house, Himchan took Youngjae aside and talked quietly. She was sure it was about her and what happened though from the brief looks Youngjae gave her. She in turn excused herself and retreated to her designated bedroom.
Images of the dead man kept haunting her, sickening her stomach. Everything had happened so fast that even now she felt like she was still in a daze. Part of her wished she hadn't mention to Zelo about the guy watching her. But at the same time, wouldn't that have made it easy for someone to have followed them here? Then everyone would be in danger.
"Danger." she thought to herself in disbelief. Not once did she ever felt like she was in danger as she was growing up. Even living in her house, far away from everything and everyone. She had always felt safe and now she didn't know what to think. Except that she missed her safe home.
A soft knock on the door broke her out of her thoughts and she wearily glanced at the door. She bit her bottom lip as she laid there before taking a deep breath. She climbed out of the bed and crossed the room to the door. She unlocked it before opening just enough for her to peek out.
Zelo stood there with a plate in his hand. He looked up and met her gaze through the crack. "I brought her some dinner."
"I... I'm not hungry." she replied.
He pressed his lips together as a guilty look formed in his eyes. He looked down and gave a brief nod of his head. "I'm sorry noona." he quietly said. "If I hadn't left to follow that guy, you wouldn't have been in danger. I almost got you hurt."
She raised her eyebrows in surprise and opened the door the rest of the way. "It's not your fault." she stated. "You didn't know there was another person. And I shouldn't have wandered off to look for you."
He swallowed but didn't say anything. She could tell by just looking at him though that he didn't believe her words. He looked exactly the same way he did when she had scolded him when they first met. Like a puppy who had been kicked.
Taking another deep breath, she turned and walked back to the bed. She sat down and folded her legs under her. "That guy showed me the tags and said he was a friend. They didn't say B.A.P though but F.I.E."
Zelo lifted his head and blinked at her for a bit as he hesitated in the doorway. Then he took a step in and set the plate on Himchan's dresser before sitting down on Himchan's bed. "Every unit has six people in it. The five of us plus Yongguk-hyung are in B.A.P. F.I.E was Suyun-noona's unit."
"So they took the tags from the other members." Jisun said in understanding.
Zelo grimaced a little and his lips. "It's more than that. Every matoki warrior has a tag with their name and unit on it. They always wear it no matter what. The only way a warrior would part with their tag is if..." He trailed off and looked away.
She stared at him and then her heart skipped a beat as she realized what he was saying. "That's how you knew he wasn't who he said it was." she commented softly.
He lifted his head and gave her a curious look. "Well... it's more than just that. We can tell who is human and who is matoki even if we've never met them."
"Really?" she questioned in surprise. "How?"
"Humans have a different..." He pursed his lips together in thought. "Aura. A different aura than matoki. You look different to us. Surrounding you is this.."
"Ahem."
Both of the jumped and quickly looked at the doorway. Himchan was standing there with his arms folded and giving the younger boy a disapproving look. "I sent you up here to give her dinner, not to spill all our secrets."
Zelo blushed a little. Then he got a determined look in his eye and lifted his head higher. "I don't think we need to keep secrets from noona." he proclaimed.
Himchan raised an eyebrow at him before turning to Jisun. "Are you alright?"
She knew why he was asking and nodded her head. "Yeah."
"I suppose I don't need to say this," he said as he eyed Zelo, "But don't trust anyone besides us. Even if they do have matoki tags."
"Uh... yeah." she said and glanced at Zelo as well. "I know that now."
"Good." he replied. Then he turned back to the other boy. "It's time for you to charge. And you should see about sleeping a few hours as well."
He hesitated as he glanced at Jisun, evidently not wanting to leave just yet. But then he sighed. "Alright." he said Then he smiled warmly at her before leaving the room.
Himchan stepped aside and watched Zelo walk down the hallway. Then he entered the room and went over to crouch down in front of Jisun. "Suyun made a new mixture based off of the information you gave us. The fever medicine. It made him fall asleep like you had said."
Her eyes widened a little as she felt a little flutter of hope in her chest. "And?"
"And she'll report to me tomorrow on his condition." he told her. "Which I'll tell you."
She let out a shaky breath before nodding. "So it was nothing too bad?" she inquired.
"Not too bad." he assured her. Then he smiled at her. "In fact, she said she can make a pretty good sedative for us if we ever need something like that."
Jisun let out a small chuckle. Knowing the medicine she had given Yongguk didn't hurt him made her feel a lot better.
Himchan reached over then and grabbed her hand. He gently squeezed it as he gave her a reassuring smile. Then he stood and left the room, closing the door behind him.

A couple of hours later, Jisun sat up from the bed and let out an audible sigh. She set Yongguk's book aside that she had been reading and stretched. After hiding out in the room for most of the day, she decided she need some fresh air.
She went to the door and quietly opened it before peeking out in to the hall. It was empty and the only noise drifted up from the stairwell. She crept over and went down a couple of stairs. Then she leaned over the banister and looked in to the living room. Himchan was laying on the couch with the television on but his back was to it. As if he had fallen asleep.
As silently as she could, she went back up to the second floor and made her way down the hall. One of the other doors was open and she peered in to the room. Youngjae laid on his bed with lap top beside him but he was sleeping as well. An amused smile formed on her face before she tip-toed away.
She came up to the small staircase and climbed up to the balcony. Once outside, she carefully shut the door so it didn't make a sound. Then she took a deep breath of the night air before letting it out. She looked up at the night sky and the stars that was spread through it, feeling more relaxed. Then she saw something out of the corner of her eye and when she turned, she felt her body instantly stiffen.
Daehyun sat on the wood railing and stared at her. She shifted nervously under his heavy gaze and swallowed thickly. Then he looked away without saying anything. She blinked at him for a moment, unsure of what to say, before noticing that he was playing with something in his hands. Her feet moved a couple of steps forward on their own until she realized what it was. He was holding the F.I.E dog tags.
The reminder made the unwanted images flood her brain again. Of him killing the man. But as Himchan had said, he would have hurt her otherwise. "Th-thank you." she stuttered.
Daehyun quickly turned to look at her once more and he narrowed his eyes.
"For... earlier." she clarified.
He scoffed and rolled his eyes "Don't think I did it for you."
She pressed her lips together and told herself not to expect anything from him. Curiosity made her open again though. "What happens to the F.I.E tags?"
His grip on the tags tightened and he glared at her. Then he climbed off his perch. He walked towards her and she held her breath. "That's none of your ing business," He looked her up and down while wrinkling his nose in disgust, "Human." Then he walked past her.
She let out a shaky breath and willed her eyes to not water as she blinked rapidly. Then she spun around and narrowed her own eyes at him. "I'm sorry about the aspirin okay." she stated. "It seemed like you had a headache and I was trying to be nice." She took a step forward as he crouched down to open the door. "And I know humans hurt you but it wasn't me. I didn't do it, they did, so you can't hold that against me."
He froze before turning his head and looking at her. "What's your point?"
"I... That I... It... doesn't matter to me." she quietly stated. "Knowing what I know now doesn't change anything. I like Shishimato as much as I like Yongguk." She swallowed and her lips. "And Tatsmato, Jokomato, Dadamato, and Totomato. I won't do anything to hurt them or to you so maybe... you could just... be... nice. To me."
He raised an eyebrow in disbelief. "Nice?" He stood up and quickly stalked towards her.
Jisun's eyes widened as she backed up and bumped in to the railing. Daehyun stopped in front of her and leaned forward, leaving only inches between them.
"Nice?? This is me being nice." he hissed as he glared angrily at her. "By not pushing you over the railing."
She inhaled sharply and her body shook slightly.
"Don't ing talk to me like you know what happened to us." he sneered. "You didn't see Zelo malfunctioning, barely able to talk and always shutting down. Youngjae doing everything he could to fix him with whatever primitive technology he could find."
Her eyes watered once more and this time, she didn't do anything to fight it.
"All the nights I stayed up, watching over Himchan. Not knowing if he was going to live or die." he spat, seething with rage now. "And now I'm suppose to protect you? It's ing insulting." He leaned in, his hot breath tickling her ear as her heart pounded in her chest. "If you want to be nice, you'd let me shove my blade in to your heart."
Jisun's jaw quivered as he pulled back. A few tears strayed down her cheeks as she met his gaze and she saw the hatred and contempt for her in his eyes. Then he turned and went over to the trap door. In one fluid motion he opened it and slipped through it before it banged shut.
Her legs finally gave in and she crumpled to the floor. "." she muttered as more tears formed. She curled up and let all her emotions go, silently sobbing on the rooftop balcony.
Only when it felt like she couldn't cry any more did she wearily go back inside. She kept her head down and went straight for the room. She closed the door and then climbed in to bed. With the blanket over her head, she curled up and wished she could go home.


Yongguk stared at Suyun, demanding answers from her as he fought against the dizziness and growing pressure in his head. Then he couldn't take anymore and he fell heavily to his knees.
"Yongguk!" Suyun exclaimed and quickly knelt by him.
"Who are you?" he asked again as he squeezed his eyes shut and leaned against her bed.
She let out a heavy sigh. "You're right, I'm not your sister. You just trusted me more when I said that so that was the story we made."
He opened his eyes and looked at her. "We?"
She opened and closed . "The... others. Your... family."
"My family??" He sat up straighter and instantly regretted it as he quickly put his head back down.
"Easy, easy." she soothed and rubbed his back. "How is your head feeling?"
"Why do you keep asking me that?" he countered.
There was a moment of silence before she spoke. "You get bad headaches when you remember something." she explained. "So bad it can give you brain damage."
"Is that why you hid my book?" he asked, his hand squeezing the precious item harder.
"Yes." she confessed. "Do... Do you know what Shishi means?"
He turned his head to look at her and the look in her eye. Part worry, part hope. "Shishimato." he said out loud, remembering the strange thought from earlier.
Her eyes widened and dropped open. "You remember?? Does your.."
"My head's fine." he interrupted. "No headache. But I keep getting so dizzy and now there's this pressure. Like someone is squeezing my head."
She pouted a little and reached up to run her hand through his hair. Then a tiny smile formed on her face. "Finally."
"But what does it mean?" he questioned.
She hesitated before chuckling a little. "It's your name. Your real name from planet Mato."
He furrowed his eyebrows. "Planet Mato?"
"Our home." she elaborated. Then she suddenly jumped up and hurried to the table. "What am I doing? I need to record this." She grabbed a notebook and flipped it open before grabbing a pen. "Memory: Shishimato. Side effects: dizziness and head pressure, no headache." she mumbled as she jot it down.
He watched her curiously before looking down at the metal object in his hand. Stumbling a little, he got to his feet and approached her. He set the dog tags on the table beside her.
She glanced up at him and smiled brightly. "I suppose I can wear them again." she stated as she picked them up and put them on. "I had to take them off cause every time you saw them, you'd get a headache."
"Why?" he asked.
"Cause you would remember your own tags I suppose." she said with a shrug.
He reached up and put a hand to his chest. "My tags?"
Her smiled spread even more as she chuckled. "We don't know what you did with them but I think the girl with the strawberries has them."
A fleeting image of a girl beside him in his mind made him grab the table for support. He closed his eyes and breathed slowly until the dizziness faded. "Who.."
His words were cut off as a loud beeping noise came from the laptop. Suyun jerked and quickly looked at the screen. Yongguk moved to look as well and saw a square outline in the center. Around the outskirts were small circles and several red dots appeared. Then the red dots moved quickly towards the square.
"No." Suyun uttered.
He turned his attention to her and the horrified look on her face. "What is it?"
She snapped out of it and glanced at him. Then she hurriedly gathered up several papers and put them on the the keyboard before slamming it shut. "I'll buy you time." she told him and shoved the computer in to his arms.
He awkwardly took it from her. "What?"
She ran over to the bedroom door and closed it before locking it. Then she grabbed the foot of the bed and dragged it away from the wall. Going to the bedside table, she grabbed the knife Yongguk had used earlier to pry the drawer open and knelt down. She stabbed it in a crack in the wood floor and then pushed it down. A secret door sprung up and she lifted it open.
His eyes widened in surprise. "What are.."
"Go through the tunnel. When you get out, run towards 164.72 degrees." she instructed as she grabbed him and dragged him to the hole.
He stumbled before dropping down in to the secret entrance. It was a small crawl space under this part of the house and he saw the tunnel leading away. "What about.."
"164.72 degrees." she reiterated.
"But how?" he hurriedly questioned.
She softly smiled at him. "Look at the stars." Then she pushed him down.
Yongguk fell to the hard earth with a grunt and he heard a bang. He looked up to see the door closed and only a small bit of lit filtering through one crack. When he heard a scarping sound, he sat up and pushed up on the door. It opened enough for him to peer out and see that she had moved the bed back in place.
He opened his mouth to call for her when the bedroom door suddenly crashed open. He saw several pairs of feet rush in to the room. Then one pair stumbled as a body crashed to the floor. Yongguk's eyes widened as he stared at the man with a knife sticking out of his face.
A scream made him jump and he tore his eyes from the dead body. Another thump and he saw Suyun's body on the floor with her eyes closed.
Anger flared up inside him and he went to climb out of his hiding spot. He stopped though as he remembered her words. To run and that she would buy him some time.
"Find him."
The words sent a chill through him and he looked around at the pairs of feet in her room. Even if he wanted to, he knew he was outnumbered. Reluctantly, he settled back and carefully closed the secret door so it didn't make a sound.
He fumbled around on the ground until he found the laptop with the papers shoved inside it. He held it to his chest as he crawled over to the tunnel. He was just barely able to see the wood beams that helped support it but it was too dark to see the end of it. Taking a deep breath, he began crawling through it.
After what seemed like an eternity, he pushed some rocks out of the way and was greeted by fresh air. He emerged from the tunnel and stretched as he glanced around. He was somewhere in the woods.
He dropped down and moved the rocks back in to place, hiding the tunnel. Once he was done, he wiped his hands off on his dirt covered pants and looked around once more.
"Look at the stars."
Following her advice, he looked up. He was able to see a few stars overhead and he narrowed his eyes as he concentrated on them. Then his mouth dropped open as everything before his eyes seemed to change. He stumbled back a couple of steps as he stared in wonder at the night sky. He could see every star in the sky as if the trees weren't there to block his vision. And lines... There were lines connecting some of them.
He turned his body until everything seemed to align. Then he slowly looked behind him and off to the right. "164.72 degrees." He quickly picked up the laptop and began to run.