Chapter 49

Storm Rising

A few days later, Jisun and Yongguk were cleaning up dinner. Yongguk washed the dishes as usual since Jisun had cooked. Whenever she did try to help, he would splash her with water before shooing her away. So she resorted to taking her usual spot on the counter. Always sitting with him.
"Can't believe you got me wet." she playfully whined as she wiped her shirt with a towel.
"Well if you would learn your lesson..." he cheekily replied. "The deal is you cook, I clean."
She sighed dramatically and rolled her eyes, causing him to chuckle. Then she leaned back against the cabinet and stared at him.
"What?" he asked after a little bit.
"Nothing." she answered. "Just... happy."
He blinked at her for a moment before blushing and shyly smiling. "Me too." he said as he wiped down a plate and set it in the second sink. Then he shifted over and reached for the water to began rinsing. He suddenly did a double take and looked at the window though.
"What?" she questioned and sat up straighter.
He narrowed his eyes a little as he peered outside. Then his face softened as he turned his attention to her. He indicated towards the yard with his head and said, "You have a visitor."
She raised her eyebrows in surprise and leaned over to look out the window. When she saw the figure standing by the tree line, she inhaled sharply. It was Daehyun.
She turned away from the window to look at Yongguk. He didn't say anything, just merely nodded his head. She bit her bottom lip before taking a deep breath and slipping off the counter. She quickly went to the back door and stepped outside. Then she hurried off the porch and across the yard.
She slowed as she got closer, her heart racing in her chest. Now that this moment finally happened, she wasn't sure what do to. She had everything planned out in her head but now she couldn't remember anything. So she just stood there and stared at him in disbelief.
"I got your note." he said, breaking the silence. He dropped the backpack on to the grass and took a step forward.
She her lips before swallowing but didn't say anything.
Daehyun sighed as he looked at the ground. "What do you want?"
That made her head jerk back a little. After avoiding her for weeks, that was what he had to say? "What do you mean?" she questioned as she furrowed her eyebrows.
"I mean, what.."
"That's what you have to say to me??" she continued, interrupting him. "After avoiding me for weeks, that's the only thing you can say to me??"
He pressed his lips together as he kept staring at the ground.
"This is about Yoonjung." she declared as a small wave of nausea filled her stomach. "That's why you can barely even look at me."
A tiny nod of his head before he swallowed. "You begged me not to hurt her but I did anyways." he whispered.
"Yes you did!" she yelled. "You didn't even think twice about it!" She waved her hand to indicated her home. "We practically grew up together! She spent summers here with me!" She took in a shaky breath to try and compose herself. "After all the hateful things you said to me, threatening me, you had to take my best friend from me as well. Why her?! Why couldn't you stab yourself in your heart and.."
"Is that what you want?" he suddenly asked as he lifted his head.
She opened but no sound came out. She stared in to his eyes and saw... determination. A chill went down her spine as she realized why he asked that question. She knew without a doubt that he would do it if she asked him to.
"What I want," she carefully said, saying each word slowly, "Is for you to hold still. Hold still and don't move." She balled her hand in to a tight fist and brought it up. Just as Jongup taught her, she brought it forward and punched Daehyun in the face.
Pain exploded in her hand, making her cry out. At the same time, Daehyun cried out as well and collapsed on to the ground. He grabbed his face while Jisun clutched her hand to her chest.
"Did you break my nose?!"
"I hope so!"
At that moment, Yongguk came running across the yard and went to her. "Are you okay??" he worriedly asked as he reached for her hand.
"Yeah." she whined before hissing in pain as he inspected her hand.
"Hyung, I think she broke my nose."
Jisun gritted her teeth as she turned to the man sitting on her lawn, prepared to snap at him again. But the way he was looking up at both of them made her stop. The look in his eyes had changed again. It was the same look the other boys would give her whenever she did really good with the training. Even the way his voice had sounded when he informed Yongguk about his nose was different. She instantly blushed and closed as she looked away.
"Well you know Jongup's training her." Yongguk replied with a chuckle. "So it's your own fault for letting her. Let's get you two inside." He wrapped his arm around her and lead her towards the house. She didn't have to look back to know that Daehyun was following them.
Once inside, he had her sit at the table and went to the freezer. Daehyun dropped his backpack on the floor and sat in one of the chairs as well. Yongguk came back with two ice packs and handed one to her while instructing her to hold it on her hand. Then he turned to the injured boy.
"Let's see the damage." Yongguk said
Daehyun kept his nose pinched shut but tilted his head back so Yongguk could inspect him. There was blood on his face and hand, as well as a cut along the bridge of his nose.
"Yep." declared Yongguk. "Definitely broken. You should spend a few hours in the ship so it heals properly." Then he handed the other ice pack to him.
"I'll do that as soon as I make it back." Daehyun said as he took the ice pack. He scooted down in the chair so he could lean his head on the backrest. Then he closed his eyes and put the ice pack on his face.
Jisun pursed her lips together and eyed the backpack on the floor. He had came from the woods, not the driveway. "As in walking back?" she questioned.
"I'll be fine." he mumbled.
She frowned at him even though he wasn't looking at her. "You are not walking all that way again and definitely not at night." she protested.
"I said I'll be fine." he replied, annoyance in his voice.
She eyed the black haired man living with her. "Yongguk."
"I order you to spend the night." Yongguk stated without hesitating.
Daehyun quickly sat up and glanced at his hyung before glaring at her. "That's cheating."
She simply stuck her tongue out at him and then smirked. His glare softened at that as the corner of his mouth twitched. Then he settled his head back and replaced the ice pack on it.
"Filthy human." he muttered quietly.
"Alien ."


After that night, Daehyun no longer ran off whenever Jisun showed up at the house. He didn't exactly say much to her and always stood a ways off. But it was a start. She knew it would take some time for him to comfortable around her, as odd as that sounded. Her mere presence before brought nothing but hatred from him. Now it was more guilt.
Which brought her to a little bakery after work. She was heading over to the boys' house again and figured she'd bring a little treat. One that she knew without a doubt that Daehyun would love.
She opened the bakery door and walked over to the counter. After the employee greeted her, she asked, "Do you have strawberry cheesecake?"
"Yep." the man happily replied. "You want a single slice or a full cake?"
"Full cake please." she requested.
"Okay. I'll have to grab one from the back. Just take a minute." he said and disappeared in to the back, leaving her alone. Or at least, she thought she was alone.
"Hey. Remember me?"
Jisun curiously glanced behind her and her body suddenly stiffened. As the man leered at her, she quickly turned around so her back was to him. If she would have seen him on the street, she probably wouldn't have remembered him. It was the look he was giving her that jogged her memory. He was one of the three boys from a year ago that had harassed her until Yongguk beat them up.
"So you do remember me." the guy stated before chuckling.
He moved to the counter and stood right next to her. She stared straight ahead to the wall in front of her and scooted a little ways a way from him. Only to have him close the distance once more.
"It's a shame your boyfriend isn't around this time." he quietly said.
She could feel his breath tickling against the side of her face and she swallowed. She closed her hand in to a fist and prepared herself by taking a deep breath.
Suddenly the guy yelped and moved away from her. She turned to look at him just as his head was forced downwards and his face smashed against the counter. She jumped and quickly stumbled back as her eyes widened.
Daehyun grabbed the harasser's hair and yanked his head back. There was blood dripping out of his nose as he made a strangling noise.
"Yeah it's a shame her boyfriend isn't here cause he'd be a hell of a lot easier on you than me." growled Daehyun angrily. Then with his other hand, he reached for his hip.
"Hyung, you'll get in trouble if you cause a scene."
Jisun's head whipped around and she saw Junhong standing a little ways back. Then she quickly looked back at Daehyun and saw that he now had a knife in his hand.
"It'll be worth it." declared Daehyun in a low tone.
She stared at the knife for a few seconds until she came to her senses. "Stop." she hurriedly ordered.
Daehyun glanced at her before turning his attention back to the man. He turned his body, bringing the knife closer to the man in a very uncomfortable spot. The man quickly straightened as his eyes widened. Daehyun whispered a few things that Jisun couldn't hear before letting him go. Then the man swiftly backed up and turned to practically run out of the store. When he passed by Junhong, the youngest stuck his foot out. The guy tripped and stumbled but managed to catch himself and then left the store.
"What did you say to him?" she inquired.
Daehyun opened his mouth but hesitated. Then he shrugged his shoulders. "Don't worry about it." he told her while putting his knife back in its sheath
She raised an eyebrow, her curiosity growing. "Tell me."
"It's kind of graphic." he vaguely answered, causing her to glare and him to roll his eyes. Finally he said, "I told him next time he harassed you, I'd track him down and skin his before cutting it off and shoving it down his throat."
Jisun grimaced a little and quickly forced her mind not to think of that image.
"Ugh hyung." Junhong said, grimacing as well as he joined them by the counter. "That is pretty graphic."
"Tell her not to be so nosy and demanding then." the older male muttered.
She narrowed her eyes at him. "You know I could have handled him on my own."
He scoffed. "What were you gonna do? Punch him in the face?"
"Do I need to show you what happened last time I punched someone in the nose?" she threatened.
He glared at her for a second. Then his face softened just a tiny bit as he bit his bottom lip and turned away.
"Here you go." the employee proclaimed as he came out from the back. He went to the counter and opened the box to show her the cheesecake. "Sorry about the wait."
"It's fine." she assured him and handed him her card.
"Is that what I think it is?"
She glanced at Daehyun and noticed how his whole demeanor had changed as he eyed the treat in the box.
"It's for after dinner so hands off." she told him and closed the lid.
He frowned at her but she merely dismissed him by looking away. She took her receipt from the worker and politely thanked him. Then she picked up the box and lead the way out of the shop.
Once they were on the sidewalk, she turned back to the two boys. "So why are you in town?"
"Himchan-hyung asked us to pick up some things." Junhong replied. He indicated across the street where she could see their vehicle parked. "We saw you through the shop window with that guy and hyung suddenly ran across the street.
She looked at Daehyun but he avoided her gaze and stuffed his hands in to his pockets. Her lips tugged in to a small smile as she glanced at the cake in her hands. "How about some ice cream? As a thank you for coming to my rescue."
"You don't have to do that." insisted Junhong.
"I want to." she declared and caught Daehyun looking at her through the corner of his eye. "There's an ice cream shop a few buildings up that has the best ice cream. I..." She quickly cut herself off to stop herself from saying the next sentence. She was about to say it was the same ice cream shop that she had taken Zelo to. This wasn't Zelo in front of her though, as she had to still remind herself. More like his twin. And it was just as hard to talk about Zelo as it was to talk about Yoonjung.

After putting the cheesecake safely in her car, the three of them walked to the ice cream shop. As they walked, Junhong told her that he had brought a skateboard to town to try it out for the first time.
"How was it?" she asked with a little smile.
He twisted his arm so she could see the large scrape on his elbow. "Painful."
Her smiled faltered as she looked at the wound before she forced her smile back on her face. "Well, maybe you'll get better with some practice."
"Maybe." he dismissively said with a shrug.
They reached the ice cream shop and Daehyun held the door open for her. She went over to the counter and examined the menu. "What do you guys want?"
"Strawberry." Daehyun answered without hesitating.
Junhong pressed his lips together as he scanned the menu before saying, "I'll have chocolate."
She glanced at him for a moment before shaking her head. Then she smiled at him. "I'll have the chocolate too." Then she approached the employee standing at the register and placed their order.
As she grabbed her purse and pulled her wallet out, she noticed an arm pass by her. She quickly looked up to see the employee take money from Daehyun.
"I said it was my treat." she protested to him.
"You bought us dessert." he countered. "And you bring us vegetables from your garden and strawberry jam."
She frowned and then sighed. She could argue about all the extra money the boys kept slipping in to her bank account but she knew it would accomplish nothing. "You'll start getting blackberry jam soon." she commented out loud as a small ache moved through her chest. Then she noticed the odd look the black haired man was giving her. "It... It was... her... favorite." she quietly added.
"Here you go." the worker brightly said and offered them their cones.
Daehyun took his cone before swiftly turning around and heading for the door. Jisun's eyes widened a little as his quick departure but then hurriedly grabbed her own cone. After Junhong got his ice cream, they joined Daehyun outside.
Together, they walked down the sidewalk in silence for a while as they ate their ice cream. Jisun kept stealing glanced at Daehyun but he never looked at her. "I shouldn't have said anything." she thought to herself.
"Will you teach me?"
She quickly turned her head to look at Daehyun. "What?"
He kept looking straight ahead, avoiding her gaze. "Will you teach me to make blackberry jam?" he quietly asked.
dropped open a bit as she stared at him. Then she turned away to pay attention to where she was walking again. "Yes." she answered.
"Hey, it's a robot like me." Junhong suddenly exclaimed.
They stopped and turned to the shop window. Junhong pointed out the little toy robot man that was on display.
Jisun watched as the toy moved its arms and the lights that made its eyes flashed. She deflated a little at the poor representation of what Junhong was. "You're more complicated than a robot." she informed him. "You're a cyborg."
He turned away from the window and gave her a confused look. "What's the difference?"
That question echoed in her mind as she surveyed him. His black hair was smoothly styled and rather than skateboarding, he was walking. And the chocolate ice cream in his hand that he was methodically eating so it never dripped on his hand.
"A lot apparently." she stated in a hushed tone.
"I'll be pissed if the cheesecake goes bad sitting in the car." Daehyun proclaimed all of a sudden.
She turned around and looked at him in surprise. Then she inhaled sharply at the look in his eyes. It was... something unexpected but at the same time, not really. Not anymore. He was giving her exactly what she needed between thinking about Yoonjung and Zelo.
"You're so slow." he lightly grumbled and brought his ice cream up to his mouth.
"I'll finish before you." she insisted and began to hurriedly at her ice cream.
He matched her pace, furiously at his ice cream as they raced to see who would finish first.
Before he could react, she shot her hand out and gave his cone a little push. He cried out and jerked his head back to highlight the pink ice cream smeared on his face. She giggled before crying out as well and running away when Daehyun attempted to do the same thing. The two of them danced around each other on the sidewalk while trying to finish their ice cream first and while trying to sabotage the other person. Junhong meanwhile backed far enough away to be safe from the chaos and slowly ate his ice cream while looking at the pair as if they were crazy.

At the house, Jisun set the cheesecake in the fridge while Jongup, Youngjae, and Himchan crowded around her to see what it was. She reitereated that it was dessert before closing the door to the fridge and going over to the island counter. She took a seat next to Yongguk and eyed the stuff spread out.
"Want some?" Jongup questioned Junhong while offering a piece of bread topped with strawberry jam.
"No thanks." replied Junhong and hopped up on the far counter to sit. "We had ice cream."
"The three of you had ice cream?" asked Yongguk as he glanced between her and Daehyun.
"Yes and it was horrible expericence." she told him with a sigh.
"You're just saying that cause you lost." smirked Daehyun.
"Lost?" Himchan inquired, confused.
"Probably an eating contest." Youngjae mumbled knowingly.
Jisun rolled her eyes. "Of course I did when facing the bottomless pit."
"Hey!" he exclaimed and narrowed his eyes at her.
"Speaking of the bottomless pit," piped in Jongup. "We need more jam noona. This is the last jar."
Daehyun directed his glare to the younger male. "Don't blame that on me. Everyone else eats it too."
"Not like you." Jongup nonchalantly stated with a smile.
"I believe it." Jiusn commented.
Daehyun glared at her before rolling his eyes. "Filthy human."
"Alien ." she shot right back.
He scoffed and moved past her to go to the living room. Then she suddenly felt a hand on her back as she was lightly pushed. Instantly she jumped up from the stool and spun around. She was too late though as she saw him disappear around the corner.
"Yeah you better run!" she called out and smiled. When she turned around, she was met with very confused looks. She chuckled and shook her head as she sat back down.
"Guess things have gotten better." Yongguk quietly said as he leaned closer to her.
She leaned in and rested her head on his shoulder. "Yeah."
"I'm confused." Junhong stated. "You and Daehyun-hyung seem to get along but the two of you aruge whenever you're together."
Jisun turned to look at him and with a very serious face, she told him, "It's cause we completely hate each other."
There was a moment of silence in the room before it was filled with snickering. Junhong quickly narrowed his eyes to glare at her.
Jisun couldn't keep a straight face anymore and smiled at the youngest. "I'm joking.' she insisted with a giggle. "It's... just how we communicate."
The snickering from the others grew in to laughter and Junhong rolled his eyes. "Whatever." he muttered. He hopped off the counter and showed everyone his scraped elbow. "I'm going to the ship for a bit. Apparently skateboarding is not for me." Then he turned and went outside through the back door.
"I'll have to make that up to him." Jisun said with a sigh.
"He'll be fine." Himchan assured he. Then he smirked a little as he turned his attention to Yongguk. "Go ahead."
Jisun raised her eyebrows and looked over at her boyfriend. He in turn smiled brightly at her.
"There's a storm coming tonight. Want to go?" he asked her.
She sat up straighter and smiled as well. "Absolutely."

It was late and pouring rain as Jisun found herself standing in the forest by a large clearing. She had been given a raincoat to wear to help keep her mostly dry. She couldn't help but keep looking up though so her face kept getting pelted by raindrops. Then she finally saw the dark object descend from the clouds and she gasped.
The spaceship dropped down in to the clearing and came to a rest on its landing gear. Then a door slid open as a ramp grew out from the ship. A second later, six figures came out of the ship and walked down the ramp to join them.
Yongguk gave her hand a squeeze and she looked over to see him smiling at her. She smiled back at him and then he let her go. She watched as he stepped forward with Himchan and Youngjae to greet the new arrivals. They handed out raincoats to them as well as important stuff they would need to help blend in.
She knew from Yongguk that this ship was carrying device to help collect the energy that humans gave off. Vital energy to help save his home world and everything on it. She asked exactly how the devices worked but he stumbled on how to explain it to her. He gave up and told her to have the brainiac, as in Youngjae, help explain it in terms she would understand.
As her gaze wandered over the ship, she noticed one of the new crew members eyeing her. She bit her lip as she looked at him and when their gazes met, he narrowed his eyes at her. Then there was movement next to her and the guy looked away.
She turned her head and saw Daehyun standing next to her. The look on his face was harsh as he stared at the man who had glared at her. "He doesn't like me." she stated.
"You're kind of famous noona." Jongup said with a chuckle as he moved to stand on the other side of her. "You and hyung being together, it's not something that's ever happen before. Some matoki don't know what to think."
"Oh." she uttered in surprise. It never occured to her before just how strange her and Yongguk's relationship was. They were after all though, different species. The only reason he even looked human was because of special technology on Mato. "Well, I love him so they'll just have to get use to it." she decided. That really was the only thing that mattered.
A noise made her look over and she raised her eyebrows in surprise to see Daehyun chuckling. Not only that, but smiling as well. Her own lips tugged in to a smile and she found herself laughing also.
Their laughter died down as the person who appeared to be the leader moved away from Yongguk and approached her. He politely smiled and held his hand out towards her. "It's nice to meet you Jisun." he said.
"Uh... hi." she replied, surprised. She took his hand and shook it before letting go.
"I can't wait to learn more about your planet." he continued, sounding genuine.
"Well, welcome." she told him. "Glad you made the trip here safely."
He chuckled a little and nodded. "Thank you." Then he turned and went back to his unit.
"Since when did I become the offical human welcoming party?" she amusingly questioned.
"I agree." Daehyun commented, winkling his nose.
She reached out and shoved him a little. Then was immediately shoved back. So she pushed him again and was pushed back.
"Do I need to separate you two?" asked Yongguk as he joined them.
"She started it." muttered Daehyun.
"I'll break your nose again." she threatened.
He rolled his eyes. "You keep bringing that up as if I didn't let you punch me."
"I don't know about that." Jongup said with a bright smile.
Daehyun frowned and turned to Yongguk. "Hyung, tell him I let her punch me."
"I didn't see anything." Yongguk said and shrugged his shoulders. Then he laughed as Daehyun angrily glared at him. "You ready to go." he asked Jisun.
"Yeah." she answered and smirked at Daehyun. Then she smiled at Jongup before letting lead her through the forest.

They walked for a ways before coming to a road where all the vehicles were parked including Yongguk's jeep. He opened the passenger door for her and she slipped inside. Then he closed the door and went around to get in on the driver's side.
He reached for the keys sitting in the ignition but didn't turn the engine on. He sat there for a moment and then looked over at her.
"What?" she asked as she wiped some water from her face.
He let go of the keys and turned to her. "You know, it could happen again." he told her with a very serious face. "Other humans could find out about us and attack us."
She bit her bottom lip. "But it's different. You're more cautious and you're not underestimating humans."
"But it could still happen." he insisted. "Maybe tomorrow, maybe in a year. Maybe in five years." He reached over with his right hand and took her hand. "There's always a chance something bad will happen to us. And..." He hesitated and fell silent, unable to bring himself to finish his sentence.
She stared at him for a few moments before squeezing his hand. "I'll always be right here." she sincerely told him. "I'm not scared of the storms anymore."
He stared back at her as he pressed his lips together and swallowed. Then he reached over to cup her face with his left hand as he leaned in. She quickly leaned in and closed her eyes as their lips connected. Overhead, thunder thundered across the sky.
He pulled back and whispered, "I'll do everything I can to protect you."
"I know you will." she assured him. "I love you Yongguk."
The corners of his lips moved up to form small smile. "I love you Jisun."
She smiled back at him and squeezed his hand once more. "Let's go home."