Chapter 14

Storm Rising

As soon as her shift was over, Jisun hurriedly clocked out and left the store. She went to her car and climbed in. She started the car and slowly pulled out of the parking lot. Once she was on the road, she headed towards the coffee shop she had been at yesterday. Since that was about where he was before, she figured it was her best option to see him again. Rather than running all over town.
She found a parking space and parked her car. Then she slipped her work shoes off and grabbed the hiking boots that she had put in her car this morning. This way her feet wouldn't be sore again.
She got out of the car and made sure that it was locked before stepping on to the sidewalk. She began walking and searching through the people. There weren't as many out today as yesterday but that would change as more people got off work. Then the sidewalks will fill and it would be harder for her to find him.
She walked up the street a few blocks before turning to go down another road. She went a couple of blocks down and paused at an intersection. She took a few minutes to watch both streets and the people on them. Then she turned down one of the roads and started walking once more.
This went on for quite a while. She would loop around and backtrack a few times, making sure she stayed in the same general area. She even passed the coffee shop a couple of times and stopped at one time to buy a bottle of water.
Soon enough the sidewalks began to fill and it was harder to keep track of every face in the crowd. She tried to see as many people as she could, even standing on the tips of her toes when she briefly paused.
When she came to another intersection, she leaned against a wall to give her legs a small break. She brought her water to her lips and took a drink. Then she squinted her eyes as she spotted a man with black hair across the road. She quickly pouted though when he turned and she saw that it wasn't Yongguk.
She let out a heavy sigh and turned her head to look down the street. Then she jumped and let out a startled squeak when someone grabbed her arm. She quickly looked over and saw Yoonjung standing next to her.
"Wow, jumpy much?" her friend questioned with a chuckle.
She sighed again and shook her head. "You just surprised me."
Yoonjung raised an eyebrow. "Sorry but I did call out your name. I thought you heard me."
"No." she turned her attention back to the crowds of people and searched through them.
"What are you doing?" the other girl asked and looked around. "You waiting for someone?"
Jisun bit her lip for a few seconds before answering. "Something like that." She turned back to face her friend and swallowed. "I saw him."
"Who?" she inquired in confusion.
Jisun pressed her lips together and scanned the crowd again.
Yoonjung gasped. "You mean him?? Yongguk?" She grabbed Jisun's arm and made her look at her. "What did he say?"
Disappointment ate at Jisun again. "I only saw him. I didn't get to ask him anything." Yoonjung gave her another confused look. "I chased after him but ran in to someone." she further explained. "Then I lost sight of him and didn't find him again."
Yoonjung's shoulders drooped a bit and she folded her arms. "So let me guess; you've been out here since you got off work in the hopes of seeing him again."
Jisun didn't say anything as she turned and glanced around. Then she heard her friend sigh.
"Well, what does he look like?"
A tiny smile tugged at her lips and she faced Yoonjung once more. "He has black hair and..." She trailed off and her eyes widened as she looked past the other girl. The guy turned as he brushed past another person, showing Jisun his face before turning his back towards her again. This time Yongguk was wearing one of the black tank tops she had bought him with his jeans.
"Jisun?"
Without a word, she took off running down the sidewalk. She kept her eyes on Yongguk who was walking down the other side of the street. Which made her bump in to quite a few people who made several disgruntled noises and snide comments. All of which she ignored.
Suddenly her arm was grabbed and she was yanked to a stop. "What are you doing?" Yoonjung questioned in disbelief.
"It's him." Jisun frantically declared and pulled her arm away. She searched the other side of the street again but didn't see him. She quickly set off once more, trying her best to find him and not run in to someone.
"Where?" Yoonjung asked, following her.
"He's wearing a black tank top." she replied.
They both hurried down the sidewalk until the next intersection. Jisun chewed on her lip and frantically turned in a circle, trying to see if he stayed on the same road or to the other road.
"There!" Yoonjung exclaimed and pointed.
Jisun looked and saw the blank tank top through the crowd, his back to her as he walked away. She quickly went to the light pole and repeatedly pushed the crosswalk button. Her heart beat faster and faster as she glanced between the light and his retreating back.
Finally the light changed and traffic came to a halt. The two girls ran across the street and on to the sidewalk before chasing after the man.
Jisun kept her gaze on him, solely focused on getting to him. She silently begged that she would finally catch him. Anything to be able to look in to his eyes once more. Then she let out a surprised yelp as her arm was grabbed and she was yanked backwards. A split second later, a streak of red passed by in front of her.
She blinked and took a step forward only to stumble back as another boy with black hair whizzed by. She felt someone bump in to her from behind and she turned to see Yoonjung pressing against her. Trying to stay out of the way of the two skateboarders who were circling them.
"What the hell are you doing?!" Yoonjung demanded angrily.
The two boys laughed as they did another circle before leaving, heading in the direction the girls had came from.
"Damn kids." muttered Yoonjung as she glared at them.
Jisun swiftly turned the other way though and searched for Yongguk. He was gone.
She quickly took off running, ignoring Yoonjung calling for her. She ran the length of the block and came up to another intersection. She frantically looked around but didn't see anyone wearing a black tank top.
Letting out a pitiful whine, her eyes watered and she blinked rapidly in frustration to clear them. She needed to see perfectly if she wanted to find him.
"Anything?" Yoonjung huffed as she finally caught up.
Jisun shook her head and bit her lip as she kept looking. Her friend must have realized her panicked state though cause she was suddenly being hugged.
"It's okay. He couldn't have gone far." the other girl declared. Then she pulled back to face Jisun. "Since he wasn't still here, it means he didn't wait for the stoplight to change. So he had to have turned left or right."
Jisun felt a tiny ray of hope at that. She hadn't bothered to look up at the light.
"You go that way, I'll head this way." Yoonjung continued. "If I find him, I'll grab him and not let him out of my sight for even a second."
A tiny smile formed on Jisun's face and she nodded. "Thank you." Then she turned and quickly headed down the sidewalk.

An hour later, Jisun sat on a bench and let out a depressed sigh. She had lost him again.
"Hey." Yoonjung greeted as she sat on the bench.
"Anything?" Jisun asked her even though she knew the answer.
The girl shook her head. "The only black haired guy I found wearing a tank top said his name was Steve but I could call him anything I wanted to for the right price." She reached down and rubbed her legs with a whine. "My feet hurt."
Jisun pressed her lips together. "Sorry." she mumbled.
"It's fine." Yoonjung replied before pouting. "I'm sorry we didn't find him again."
"Yeah." Jisun agreed with another sigh. She felt her eyes watering once more and she looked away while blinking. Then she felt her hand grabbed before being tugged.
"Let's go over there and get dinner. My treat." offered Yoonjung with a smile.
She knew this was her friend trying to make her feel better. Plus with all the walking, she was feeling rather hungry. So she allowed the girl to drag her off the bench and over to the restaurant.
They sat at a table by the window as the waiter brought them menus. After taking a couple minutes to decide, they placed their orders. While they waited for their food, Jisun described the way Yongguk looked the best she could.
"I promise I'll keep a look out for him." Yoonjung assured her.
"Even though you're not happy about him." Jisun teased.
Yoonjung chuckled. "Well, it doesn't really matter what I think now does it?" she questioned with a smirk. "It's how you feel about it and I can tell that this weirdo means a lot to you."
Jisun snorted and laughed a little at that. Then the food came and the two of them ate while making small talk.

It was dark again when Jisun arrived home. As soon as she got inside, she hurriedly set her stuff down before going out the back door. She quickly crossed the yard to the garden. She crouched down and started to lift part of the metal meshing when a sudden movement to her left made her jump. Which made her lose her balance and she stumbled before rolling on to the grass. She lifted her head just in time to see a rabbit disappear in to the bushes.
With a groan, she got on her knees and pulled up the protective net. She ripped some more leaves of lettuce off the plant before tossing them on the ground. Then she pushed the net down and made sure the metal prongs were securely in the ground.
She stood up and peered at the forest but nothing moved. "Well you scared me too." she declared with a pout. "So don't act all innocent."
When the rabbit didn't emerge, she sighed and went back to the house. Just as she reached the back porch though, she heard a rustling noise and turned around. She saw the little rabbit move across the yard to the garden and over to the lettuce.
Smiling, Jisun tip-toed inside and quietly closed the door.