Chapter 15

Storm Rising

Jisun rested her head on her hand while she stared out the window. She scanned through the crowd and the faces of the people that walked by as she sipped her coffee. She was sitting in the coffee shop, giving her aching legs a much needed break. It had been quite a few days since the last Yongguk sighting and much to her dismay, she hadn't seen him since. Still, she left work and headed to the coffee shop diligently. Never giving up hope that she might see him again one day.
She finished off the last of her coffee and gathered up her things. She headed out the door and decided to circle the block one last time before calling it a day and going home. As she came to an intersection, she waited for the light to change and glanced around. There was one person who caught her eye but it wasn't a black haired boy. Instead, he had blond hair and quickly turned away when Jisun noticed him looking at her.
She pressed her lips together but didn't recognize the guy. Then the light changed and she went across the street. She continued walking, trying to focus on her search. Yet she couldn't shake a feeling that was cause the hair on her neck to stand up. Turning around to glance behind her, she saw the same blond hair guy following her.
She came to an abrupt stop and narrowed her eyes. Instantly the guy stopped walking and appeared to be interested in some store's window display. The act didn't fool her though.
She set off again, hastening her pace. At the next intersection, she didn't bother to stand around like before and quickly rounded the corner. Then she jogged down the sidewalk before ducking in to a clothing store. She made her way to the back and disappeared in to the restroom.
Leaning against the wall, she closed her eyes to catch her breath. Not that her little jog winded her much. Considering how much walking she had been doing, she was in fairly decent shape. It was just the unexpected stalker that made her heart race more than she was use to.
Which brought back memories of the last guy that harassed her. The last three guys. Yongguk had made quick work of them. If only he was here now. "I won't let anyone hurt you."
Her eyes watered and she walked over to the sinks. She splashed some cold water on her face to help calm herself.
"It's okay. You'll find him." she mentally told herself. It was another part of her daily routine since he had left. Reassuring herself that the world was still right and that things would work out.
She glanced at the time on her phone and reasoned she would wait for another five minutes. By then the guy should be long gone and she could finish her walk around the block.

When time was up, she peeked out of the restroom but didn't see the guy amongst the customers. So she stepped out and made her way to the front of the store. A quick glance up and down the street through the windows before she braved going outside.
She quickly walked down the rest of the block, making sure she didn't see him while also checking around for Yongguk. Hoping to see one but not the other and she chuckled at that. Then she skidded to a halt and her eyes widened.
Off in the distance, standing by the stoplight, Yongguk leaned against the wall with his hands in his pockets. She inhaled a shaky breath, not believing what she was seeing. Then her feet were moving. She quickly started running, not taking her eyes off of him for a second. Finally closing the distance as he stood there.
"Yongguk!" she called out but he didn't seem to hear her as he kept looking in the other direction.
"Look out!"
It felt like she suddenly ran in to a wall. She stumbled before she felt herself falling and she closed her eyes to brace herself. The impact with the sidewalk still jarred her though and pain exploded through her head.
"Are you okay?? Please be okay. He'll kill me if something happened to you."
"What?" she groaned and sat up. She opened her eyes but everything spun so she quickly shut them again.
"Are you okay?"
She brought one of her hands up to her head and squeezed her eyes tightly shut. "I think so." After a few seconds, she chanced opening her eyes and was thankful everything stayed in place this time. That's when she noticed the guy kneeling by her, the look on his face a mixture of worry and fear. Her eyes automatically flickered up to his hair. His red hair.
"You!" she accused in disbelief. It was the same skateboarder from the other day. One of the pair that had circled around her and Yoonjung.
"Uh..." he uttered and blushed. "I... Um... I'm... Sorry."
She blinked at him before sighing. "Forget it." she muttered and went to stand up. As she did though, she swayed and the boy quickly grabbed her.
"I don't think you should be moving around." he commented with a hint of concern in his voice.
Ignoring him, she turned to look down the sidewalk. Then her shoulders drooped. Yongguk was gone.
"Here." the skateboarder said and gently lead her over to a bench.
She didn't fight him and sat down much to the relief of her shaky legs. She brought her hand up again to gingerly touch the back of her head and winced.
"I'll get you some ice." the guy offered. He jogged over to where his skateboard had ended up and picked it up. Then he hurried to a restaurant and disappeared inside.
Sighing, Jisun sat and waited for his return. Her thoughts drifted back to Yongguk and how he had been standing there. Looking around. Almost like she had been doing for the past few week.
"Is he looking for me too?" Then she banished that thought. If he wanted to, he knew where to find her. Back at her home. Their home.
"Here."
She glanced up at the red haired boy who was holding out a bag of ice to her. "Thanks." she said and took it from him. She pressed it against her head and leaned back while closing her eyes. Then she opened her eyes to see the boy still standing. Hesitating as if he wasn't sure what he was suppose to do.
"Sit." she told him and indicated the rest of the bench.
He bit his bottom lip, hesitating some more, before finally sitting down beside her.
She eyed him as he stared at the ground and fiddled with his skateboard. "What's your name?"
He looked up and blinked at her for a few seconds. "Uh... Zel.. I mean Toto.. I mean Junhong! Junhong!"
"You sure?" she questioned and raised an eyebrow at him.
He blushed and glanced away. "I uh... My name is Junhong." he told her. Then he pressed his lips together and eyed her. "But... I... I like to be called Zelo." he added, mumbling.
"Zelo?" She chuckled and nodded. "Alright then Zelo. My name is Jisun."
He smiled brightly and one hand reached up to rub the back of his neck. As he did that, Jisun noticed a chain around his neck. She peered at it curiously and leaned forward. She couldn't see what was hanging from it though cause it was tucked in to his shirt. Then she noticed his arm.
"Oh!" she exclaimed. "Are you alright?"
"Huh?" he asked before turning his arm to look at it too. There was a big scape around his elbow. "Oh. I didn't notice." Then he checked his other arm and found another scrap on his forearm.
This time it was Jisun's turn to feel a little worried. And guilty. "I'm sorry. I wasn't really paying attention." she said. Which was true. She was too focused on Yongguk.
"No, it's my fault." Zelo quickly declared. "I shouldn't have been going so fast."
She thought about that and narrowed her eyes. "You should have learned your lesson from before. I almost ran in to you then too."
Immediately, the boy seemed to shrink in front of her and he looked down at the ground. "I'm sorry." he mumbled with a pout.
Seeing how guilty he looked, Jisun felt guilty herself for saying those words. He looked like a puppy who had gotten yelled at.
Glancing around, she smiled as an idea came to her. "Well either way, this was both of our faults." She stood up and faced him. "And since you took care of me, it's my turn to take care of you."
He peered up at her curiously but then his eyes widened in surprise as she grabbed his hand. She tugged him off the bench and dragged him down the sidewalk.
"Uh... Wait... I... Are you okay?... Walking, I mean... I'm fine... I..."
She stopped in front of the store and turned to him. "I insist."
He raised an eyebrow. "Insist on what?" he questioned suspiciously.
"That you let me buy you ice cream." she elaborated.
"Wait.. What??" He quickly looked up at the sign on the wall above the door.
Before he could say anything else, she pulled him in to the shop.
"Uh... You really don't have to." he stammered. "I'm fine. Really."
She ignored him and lead him to the counter. "Pick one."
"But... I'm fine. Really. You don't have to." he protested.
She eyed him before bringing a hand up to her head. "Oh the pain is so bad." she stated in her most dramatic voice.
His mouth dropped open in shock. "You can't be serious?!" he demanded incredulously.
"If only I can buy you ice cream." she whimpered. "It would make everything better."
He stared at her, his mouth opening and closing like a fish. Which caused Jisun to burst with laughter and she gave him a playful push. After a bit, he chuckled as well.
"Please." she added, pleading.
He blushed a bit before shyly smiling. He turned and scanned the board with the lists of flavors. Then his face brightened and he quickly faced her again. "Can I have the strawberry one?"
Her eyebrows raised in surprise. Hearing him say that made her briefly remember Yongguk. She had almost bought him strawberry ice cream the day she brought him to town.
"Uh... yeah." she replied, shaking her head of the memory. She went to the counter and placed an order for two single scoop cones. Both strawberry flavored.

Jisun giggled as she watched Zelo eat his ice cream. "Is it that good?"
"Yes!" he quickly proclaimed before going back to his frantic .
She smiled, feeling much better at how happy he seemed. Which made her wonder. Somehow, even though she only met him, she felt close to him. Trusted him.
He glanced at her and gave her a curious look. "What?"
"Nothing." she said amusingly. She glanced around and noticed that the sun was going to set soon. "Are your parents okay with you staying out late?"
"I don't have parents." he nonchalantly said.
"Oh." she uttered in surprise.
Suddenly he stopped eating his ice cream and his eyes widened. "I... I mean..."
"It's okay. I don't have parents either." she confessed to him.
He frowned and blinked at her. "Oh... I'm sorry."
She shook her head dismissively. "So you live alone?"
"No. I live... uh... with... my brothers." he hesitantly replied.
"Well that's nice." she stated with a smile.
He blushed a bit. "Yeah." he mumbled.
She pressed her lips together before smiling. "You're melting." she informed him and indicated his ice cream.
He quickly looked at the cone and the bead of melted pick making its way to his fingers. He brought it to his mouth as he stuck his tongue out and it. Then he all around the cone.
Jisun laughed, the image reminding her once more of a puppy and his favorite treat. He his ice cream one last time before smirking at her. A second later, she felt something sticky on her fingers. She yelped in surprise and quickly glanced at her cone. Then she hurriedly at it as well while Zelo laughed at her.
"I warned you at least!" she exclaimed and nudged him.
He merely stuck his tongue at her and laughed some more. His laughter died away though as he looked past her and down the street.
She raised an eyebrow at the change in his behavior. "What?"
"Uh... nothing." he said with a little smile. "I just should be getting back now."
"Oh ok." She smirked at him. "You better not run anyone else over."
He chuckled and nodded his head. "I promise I won't." He stood up and started walking down the sidewalk, in the direction he had been looking at. Then he suddenly stopped and stood there for a second before turning around. "Can I call you noona?"
The question threw her off a little and she watched as he chewed on his bottom lip nervously. She smiled at him though. "Of course."
The biggest grin she ever saw formed on his face. "Thank you!" he exclaimed happily, causing her to laugh. "Bye noona!" Then he waved and turned back around. He tossed the skateboard on to the ground and stepped on it, slowly rolling down the sidewalk.
She watched him for a bit before glancing down at her ice cream. Smiling, she stood up and headed for her car.