Chapter 20

Storm Rising

Yongguk rolled over and blinked his eyes. A couple of hours must have passed by already as he laid in bed. The coldness and the prickling on his skin slowly faded away. Now he was left only feeling a bit disoriented.
He sat up and swung his legs over the edge of the bed. He rubbed his face before sighing and standing up. The room thankfully didn't spin as he headed out of his bedroom. In the hallway, he saw Suyun's door open. She was sitting at her work table, hunched over while staring at a laptop while wearing headphones.
He turned and made his way to the kitchen. He found the cupboard that held the glasses and he poured himself some water. As he took a drink, he glanced out the window and the trees that surrounded the house. He narrowed his eyes as an odd feeling the crept over him. The woods were... familiar somehow.
"Well of course it should be familiar." he thought to himself. "I live here after all."
With a frustrated groan, he set his glass in the sink. Was it like this every time? Thinking he knew something but not really sure if he was suppose to or not?
He turned and walked over to the living room. He started to reach for the television remote but stopped. He stared at the door and felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Leaving the remote where it laid, he went over to the front door. His fingers brushed the doorknob and he suddenly felt a little dizzy.
"She'll be pissed if I go outside." Suyun never told him to not go out but there wasn't a doubt in his mind those words were true. Yet he couldn't shake this sudden urge to leave. It was like every muscle in his body was trying to force him to open the door. So he did.
He slowly turned the knob and pulled the door open. He took a deep breath of relief before slipping his shoes on. Then he stepped outside and quietly closed the behind him.
Once outside, he looked around. All he could see were trees and a car parked on a dirt driveway that lead off in to the woods. There were no other houses by him. He went to the edge of the porch and took the few steps down to the ground. Then he turned around and took a few steps backwards. Staring at the porch, he realized it was the one in the photo. The one of him and Suyun eating ice cream when they were little.
He turned around once more and looked down the driveway as he his lips. "Sorry noona." he whispered. Then he started jogging away from the house.


Jiusn parked the car in front of her house and turned it off. After eating breakfast, which involved Himchan telling her to eat before Daehyun ate it all, she left with Zelo to collect some of her things.
She opened the car door and got out just as Zelo got out of the passenger side. She lead him to the front door and unlocked it before pushing it open.
"Here's home." she stated and stepped in to the living room. Then she remembered how he had already been here since they did take Yongguk. "Not that you haven't seen it before." she added and eyed him.
Zelo lightly blushed and gave her a sheepish. She let out a sigh and shook her head. "I'll hurry." Then she crossed the room and went down the hallway.
She entered her bedroom and pulled a suitcase out of the closet. She laid it open on top of her bed and began stuffing it with some clothes. She had no idea how long the boys were expecting her to stay with them and she hoped it wasn't too long. But if this is what it took to get answers then so be it.
She grabbed the little travel pouch and took it with her to the bathroom. She put her toothbrush and toothpaste inside it. Then as an afterthought, she grabbed her body wash and the strawberry scented shampoo.
Carrying her things with her, she went back to her bedroom and stuffed them in to the suitcase. She closed it and zipped it shut. Then she set it on the floor and wheeled it out of her room.
When she got to the living room, she noticed that Zelo had disappeared. She glanced around and realized the mud room door was open. Leaving her suitcase behind, she crossed the kitchen and went in to the small room.
"What are you doing?" she asked when she found him.
He glanced over at her and smiled. "Can we take this?" he asked and held up a jar.
Her heart skipped a beat when she realized it was one of the sealed jars that held strawberry jam. One that Yongguk had made. "Uh... Y-yeah." she stuttered. Then she swallowed thickly and nodded.
His face lit up even more and he bounced a little on the balls of his feet. A small smile formed on Jisun's face that she couldn't stop. Then she gasped a little as her eyes widened. She hurried to the back door and opened it before going outside.
She quickly made her way to the garden and noticed one of the metal meshings had been tampered with again. She pouted as guilt ate at her. "I'm sorry Mr. Bunny!" she called out. Then she hurriedly pulled the net up and grabbed at some lettuce.
"What are you doing?" Zelo asked as he joined her.
"I said I needed to feed my rabbit." she told him. "He's use to getting breakfast and dinner."
Zelo raised an eyebrow and stared at her in disbelief. She ignored him though and threw the leaves she had plucked to the ground. Then she tore a few more to add to the pile. It was more than he normally got in a day because a sinking feeling in her stomach told her that she wasn't going to be back that soon.
Finished, she started to put the covering back in to place but stopped. She pressed her lips together before letting the meshing fall back to the ground. She quickly went to the house and into the mud room. She grabbed a couple of plastic sacks and her backpack before hurrying back to her garden.
"Now what are you doing?" questioned Zelo curiously.
She smiled at him and knelt on the ground. "Dinner."
He eyed the bags and the garden before smiling as well. "Really?"
"Yeah." she said with a giggle. "Help me."
He instantly dropped down beside her and followed her instructions. Together they filled both bags with enough vegetables to make a nice salad for everyone. Then they put the bags in to the backpack which Zelo offered to carry for her.
She pushed the metal meshing back in to place and made sure it was secure. She took one last look at the bush her little rabbit usually hid in, feeling guilty for leaving again. Then she turned and followed Zelo back to the house.
She locked the back door behind them and crossed the house to the living room. Pulling her suitcase along, they went through the front door and locked it behind them. Zelo set the backpack in the car and lifted her suitcase for her. As she got in to the driver seat, she looked longingly at her home and thought once more about just what it was she was getting in to.
"I'll be back soon." she thought. Then she turned the car on and drove away.

When they were almost off the mountain, Zelo's phone suddenly went crazy. He jumped in his seat and quickly pulled it out of his pocket.
"It's the mountain." Jisun explained to him. "There isn't any reception here."
He nodded in understanding and looked at his screen. Then he frowned as worry etched across his face.
"What is it?" she asked as she glanced at him before looking back at the road.
"Uh... no-nothing." he stuttered. Then he pushed a few buttons and held it up to his ear. After a bit, he said. "Hey, any sign?"
Jisun pressed her lips together as she eavesdropped on half of the conversation. Whatever it was, it wasn't good. Then he hung up. "What?" she asked as she the road that will take them around town. It was a little longer but quicker since they wouldn't run in to any stoplights.
Zelo was quiet for a moment as one leg nervously bounced up and down. Then he let out a heavy sigh. "Hyung left again so the others are looking for him."
She furrowed her eyebrows as she processed his words. When she realized what he was saying, she let out a loud gasp. "Yongguk is in town??" Then without waiting for an answer she hit the brakes and to a road that led in to town.
"Noona!" Zelo exclaimed as he braced himself with the sudden direction change. "We're suppose to wait at the house!"
She ignored him as she drove and headed towards the coffee shop since he seemed to end up around that area most of the time. Zelo protested in the passenger seat until he realized he wasn't going to be able to sway her. Then he relentlessly pestered her to promise to not let herself be seen.
"I'm serious noona. We find him and call Suyun. He can not see us." he adamantly insisted.
"Yeah, yeah." she dismissively said as she drove through town.
She managed to get a parking spot about a block up from the coffee shop. As she got out of the car, she promised Zelo yet again to do as he said. Then they hurried down the sidewalk, searching for him.

They circled the block before heading down the same road once more. Worry ate at Jisun as she scanned the faces of everyone they passed. Part of her was hoping that Zelo would suggest they split up. That way if she found Yongguk, she would be able to talk to him again. Maybe try to get him to remember her. Zelo, however, stayed by her side the entire time.
She her lips and was just about to make the suggestion herself when she was suddenly grabbed. She let out a tiny squeak as Zelo hurriedly dragged her in to a small alley.
"Wha..." She trailed off as she looked back out towards the street. Yongguk walked right past them in the same direction they had been walking. He almost ran right in to them.
"I have to call Suyun." he said and fished out his phone.
"There you are!"
Zelo jumped a little before peeking around the corner. Then he leaned his back against the wall and let out a sigh of relief. "She found him."
Jisun pressed her lips together as her heart hammered in her chest. Then she went to brush past Zelo and head out on to the sidewalk. She was quickly grabbed once more though and her back was shoved against the wall. "Sto.." She was cut off by a hand firmly pressed over .
"You promised." he hissed at her, hurt and betrayel in his eyes.
She struggled against him but it was a futile effort.
"Don't ever leave the house again!" Suyun's voice traveled over to where they were hiding. "Don't you know how worried I was?!"
"Sorry noona." came Yongguk's deep voice.
Jisun tried to push Zelo off of her once more but he stood his ground. "You'll only hurt him." She froze and stared at him in surprise.
"Honestly Yongguk, why do you always do this to me?!"
"I... I was... looking for... something. Something that's missing."
Jisun felt her heart skip a beat at those words coming from Yongguk. Zelo was caught off guard as well, his eyes widening and his mouth dropping open as he tilted his head in the direction of the sidewalk. As if he wanted to hear more as well.
"I... I'm sorry." Suyun said. "Let's just get you home."
Zelo kept Jisun pressed up against the wall. She was sure he was waiting to make sure the pair had fully left before he released her. She didn't care at this point though. Yongguk's words kept echoing in her head. As well as the words he had said to her the night before he left. "When I'm with you, I feel like nothing's missing."
Her eyes watered as an ache formed in her chest. He didn't remember her but maybe, just maybe, he was looking for her.
"Noona." Zelo murmured as he took his hand off .
Her jaw quivered as she slowly came back to her senses. She pushed him off of her and this time, he stepped back. Then she brushed past him and let her feet quickly carry her further in to the alley.
"Noona!"
She kept walking until her arm was grabbed and she was spun around. She lifted her arms and pushed Zelo back as she glared at him. "What is wrong with him?"
He stumbled backwards and stared at her in shock, his mouth opening and closing without him making a noise.
"Tell me!" she demanded as hot tears rolled down her cheeks. "What is going on?!"
His answer was to press his lips together and swallow while looking down.
Jisun gritted her teeth as more tears of frustration flowed down her cheeks. "I'm going home." she declared and went to storm pass him.
"Noona wait." he quickly pleaded and stepped in her way.
She roughly brushed past him, hitting him with her shoulder as she went by and causing him to stumble. She didn't even look behind her to see if he was alright. Already a plan was forming in her head to go home and continued what she had been doing before. Searching for Yongguk on her own and catching him again. Maybe even taking him back home with her.
She was broken out of her thoughts as her arm was grabbed and she came to an abrupt stop. She spun around and glared at Zelo as she attempted to yank her arm back.
"It was the headaches."
Inhaling sharply, she stared at in the boy in shock. His eyes pleaded with her and his grip on her arm tightened.
"Like the one in the garden. When he remembered his name is Shishimato." elaborated Zelo.
She thought back to that moment in the garden. She had been so worried for him. Adamant about taking him to the hospital so he could get help.
"They kept getting worse. Every time he got a memory back." Zelo continued, his voice strained. "Like when he remembered that he... About me. Things about everyone. His head would hurt so bad he'd get nose bleeds. Even go unconscious for hours."
Jisun felt her anger slowly fading away. Replaced by a ache that also left her numb at the same time.
"We couldn't risk brain damage so when he lost his memories again, we had him live with Suyun." Zelo finished.
She nodded her head, finally understanding. "The sister who isn't his sister. No memories for him to remember and cause him pain."
"But enough fake memories to make him trust her." Zelo swallowed and his lips. "He had another headache. After you talked to him. He remembered that he knew you."
Her eyes widened as her heart skipped a beat. "He remembered me?"
He shook his head. "He lost his memories again this morning." He reached up and grabbed her other arm with his free hand. "If he sees us, it could trigger his memories. Make him remember us. But he can't without it hurting him."
She gasped a little as she watched a couple of tears spill out of Zelo's eyes.
"You can't talk to him. You can't let him see you. So please stay away from him." he frantically begged. "Please don't hurt him noona."
She swallowed past a lump in before barely nodding her head. "I'm sorry." she whispered.
He let out a shaky breath and then rapidly blinked his eyes. He let go of her and turned away while he wiped at his face. Jisun brought up her own hands and wiped her face as well.
"Hyung will kill me when he finds out I told you." he uttered and shook his head
"Told her what?"
They both jumped and quickly looked down the alley. Himchan walked up to them followed by the others.
"Uh... I..." Zelo stuttered as he blushed.
Himchan stopped next to Jisun and folded his arms. He gave the boy a hard look and pressed his lips in to a thin line.
"I... Um... told her... about... Yongguk-hyung." the youngest mumbled as he shifted.
Daehyun let out a very audible scoff as he rolled his eyes.
"It's my fault." Jisun hurriedly said. "I forced him to tell me."
Himchan eyed her before looking at Zelo and slowly nodding. "Let's go home."
Zelo nodded as well and shared a look with Jisun. She nodded in return and started to leave but Himchan held up his hands, stopping both of them.
"Jongup will ride with her. You're coming with us." proclaimed Himchan.
Jisun blinked in surprise and glanced at Zelo. The poor boy instantly deflated at those words and looked down at the ground. A tiny feeling of guilt built up inside her despite the relief of knowing a little more of what was going on with Yongguk.
"Come on noona." Jongup said and gently grabbed her hand.
She gave Zelo one last look of remorse before letting the other boy lead her away.