Chapter 13

Storm Rising

Jisun mindlessly watched the people through the window of the coffee shop. Some were leisurely strolling along, other were moving with more determination. Hurrying to wherever it was they needed to be. Her gaze passed over their faces, seeing them but not seeing them at the same time.
"Earth to Jisun."
She straightened and blinked as she turned from the window. Yoonjung was sitting across from her and giving her pointed look.
"You were thinking about him again weren't you." Yoonjung stated and scrunched her nose a little.
Jisun wanted to deny it, she wasn't really thinking about anything, but no words came from . Instead, she pressed her lips together and stared down at her neglected cup of coffee. She heard the other girl sigh in reply.
She confessed to Yoonjung about Yongguk a few days after he left. When it was plainly obvious to everyone that something was wrong. Then she withstood Yoonjung's utter shock and the hundred questions that were fired at her. Especially the big one; why did she keep him a secret?
Turning her head, she looked out the window once more and saw the change that had occurred since then. It was just turning June when Yongguk was with her and now it was the beginning of July. A whole month had come and gone.
She had searched the forest that one day but didn't find him. Then everyday after, she found herself back in the woods. Walking familiar trails and even some that she hadn't been on in a long time. Sometimes she was only out for an hour, other times she had spent most of the day outside. Something she would do when she was a kid. But this time she wasn't playing in her magical wonderland, she was looking for something that was missing.
"I still can't believe you didn't tell me about him."
"Here we go again." Jisun thought while hiding a sigh.
"Of course you kissing him after only knowing him for about a week is the most shocking part" Yoonjung continued. Then she pouted a little. "Couldn't have been that great of a guy to just run off like that."
Jisun instantly felt herself stiffen and her mood turned even more sour. "He's not like that. I'm sure he had a reason." she declared defensively.
Her friend eyed her a bit before letting out a small huff. Yoonjung's way of conceding defeat.
Jisun brought the cup of coffee to her lips and took a sip. She grimaced a little since it was cold but she still drank it. She chugged the remaining liquid and set the cup down. "I should head home."
"I hope you find this mysterious man again." Yoonjung offered as she gathered up her things.
As much as Yoonjung scolded her for letting a stranger stay with her without knowing anything about him or telling anyone about him, Jisun knew that what Yoonjung said was genuine. She smiled at the other girl and grabbed her purse off the table. Then they went outside and Yoonjung gave her a brief hug of reassurance before they parted ways.

Jisun set off down the sidewalk towards her car and planned out what she would do when she got home. Which trails and areas in the forest that she wanted to check. She glanced up at the sun and she knew she didn't have time to go deep in to the woods but she could still search a little.
As she walked, her gaze wandered around once more and she sighed. Then a sight made her come to an abrupt halt and her eyes widened. She stared at the man across the street and felt her heart skip a beat. Only to have her heart sink in to her stomach when he turned and she saw that it wasn't who she wanted it to be.
She pressed her lips and swallowed past a growing lump in . Another disappointment. She blinked her eyes rapidly and went to continue to her car. Then she stopped once more and gasped. Her gaze followed the man walking on the sidewalk in a shocked daze.
"Yongguk." she whispered as she stared at his face.
There was no mistake this time. He was even wearing the clothes that she had bought him. His hands were in his pockets as he swiftly made his way down the street.
She stepped off the sidewalk and a loud honking startled her. She quickly stepped back and the car whizzed by. She looked across the street and saw him still walking, getting further away.
Adreneline pumped through her, making her heart race as she glanced around. She saw a brief break in the traffic and waited before she dashed out on to the street. She ran to the other side and jumped on to the sidewalk. She hurried after him, saying a few 'excuse me's when she roughly brushed by someone.
The crowd on the sidewalk parted a little so she could see the back of him. Then the hole closed up by yet another group and she desperately pushed her way through them. She ignored the looks a few people gave her, determined to catch him.
When she made it through the crowd, she started running again with her eyes only on Yongguk. So she didn't see the person step out in front of her in time. She collided with his shoulder, causing her to spin and stumble. She squeezed her eyes shut as she fell and braced herself.
The pain never came though and she opened her eyes. Her mind slowly processed that someone had caught her before she was hauled upwards again. She found her feet while two hands helped steady her.
"Sorry about that. Are you okay?"
She blinked at the man for a second and then attempted to look past him for Yongguk.
The guy shifted, blocking her vision and gave her a worried look. "You okay?"
"Yeah." she finally answered. She went to step around him but his hands on her tightened. Not letting her go.
"You should really slowly down." he said with a chuckle. "Wouldn't want to hurt yourself."
"I'm fine." she told him as she tried to look past him again. "I have to go."
One of his hands let go of her but the other one continued to hold her. Jisun opened to tell him off but stopped when something was shoved in her face.
"Here. A pretty rose for a pretty lady." the guy said.
She blinked at the flower in surprise and her hand automatically came up to take it from him. "Uh... th-thank you." she stuttered and finally looked at the guy.
He smiled at her but what really stood out was his hair. It was a dusty pink color. A few shades lighter than the rose he gave her.
His hand finally released her. "Be careful." he told her with one last smile and then stepped around her.
She watched him walk away curiously for a brief second. Then she turned and hurried down the sidewalk once more. She came up to an intersection and glanced around. She scanned the people but didn't see Yongguk anymore.
"No. No. No." she thought, panic seizing her. She walked on to the crosswalk and strayed a little on to the road. She kept turning, looking down every sidewalk. Then her shoulders drooped.
A car honked, making her jump and she hurried back on to the sidewalk. Traffic started going again and blocked the way back to her car.
She glanced back the way she came and then down the sidewalk that continued through town. Then down at her hand as she realized she was still holding the rose. She brought it up to her face and smelled its sweet scent.
Pressing her lips together, she turned and continued down the sidewalk. Her gaze constantly moved, scanning through the different people and peering in to the shops. She knew without a doubt that she saw Yongguk and she was determined to find him again.

It was late by the time Jisun parked in front of her house. She climbed out of the car and winced a little from the pain in her feet. Spending all day walking in town took a toll since she wasn't wearing her comfortable hiking boots.
She unlocked the front door and stepped into the dark living room. She flipped the light on and kicked off her sandals. Then she her things on the coffee table before collapsing on to the couch.
Disappointment ate at her. She wasn't able to find Yongguk, no matter where she look. It was like he had disappeared in to thin air.
Turning her head, she saw the rose laying on the table next to her purse. If it hadn't been for that guy, she would have been able to catch up to Yongguk. Ask him why he left and where he's been. And why didn't he come back to her?
With a little groan, she sat up and climbed off the couch. She grabbed the rose and carried it to the kitchen. She found a small vase and filled it with some water before adding the flower to it. She set it by the window so that it would catch the sunlight in the morning.
Seeing the forest outside through the window brought another thought to her. She went to the mud room and the back porch light before stepping outside. She made her way to the garden and inspected the metal meshing. Sure enough, there was a place where it was pushed up. Like an animal had tried but failed to reach the plants underneath.
Jisun bent down to fix the protective net when a rustle made her head snap up. She froze and stared toward the forest. A few seconds later, a small bunny hopped in to sight by the tree line.
She let out the breath she found herself holding. Then she smiled a little. "Sorry I'm late." she quietly said, not wanting to spook the little critter.
She pulled the meshing up until she could reach her hand under it. She ripped some leaves off of a head of lettuce until she had a handful. Then she pulled her hand back before tossing the lettuce on to the ground.
"There you go." she stated and pushed the metal prongs completely in to the ground once more.
It was the same rabbit from before. The one that had gotten in to the garden after the storm and the same one that she had thrown the carrot for. The day before Yongguk had disappeared. For some reason, it had kept coming back so she started leaving food out for it.
She glanced towards the tree line and saw the bunny still sitting there. Waiting for her to leave before coming to eat the green leaves.
"Maybe one of these days you'll trust me and hop right up to me." she softly said before teasingly adding, "And demand food I'm sure."
The bunny moved, turning its back to her and made as if it was going to go back to the woods. Then he stuck its head up as its ears moved around.
"Alright, alright. I'm leaving." She slowly took few steps back before turning away as well. Then she went back in to the house, closing and locking the door behind her.
She ate a quick dinner before getting ready for bed. Then she laid down and planned out tomorrow. She had to work but afterwards, she would search some more. Not in the woods anymore but in town.
Closing her eyes, she pulled a pillow to her chest. "Please let me find him again." she whispered.