Chapter 18

Storm Rising

Jisun bit her lip and thought about Himchan's words. "Why do people hurt anyone? Sometimes they just want to." There had to be more to it than that though. With Yongguk. With why these boys didn't trust her.
"Okay there's something else really urgent." Zelo suddenly chimed in.
She looked over at him, expecting some other bizarre news or statement that would only leave her with more questions.
He pouted and bounced a little. "I'm hungry." he whined.
dropped open as she stared at him in disbelief. Then she shook her head and turned back around to face Himchan. "I can't just stay here." she argued. "Not only do I not know you but I don't exactly trust you since you won't give me any real answers." Then as an afterthought, she added, "And I have to feed my rabbit."
He opened his mouth before furrowing his eyebrows and giving her a confused look. "Your what?"
She crossed her arms and firmly stood her ground while pressing her lips together.
Himchan sighed before closing the distance to her. Without a word, he grabbed her hand and dragged her through the living room.
"Hey! What are you.."
"I want to show you something." he stated as he began to go up a staircase.
She fought between two emotions as she ascended the stairs. Her instinct told her to yank her arm away and run but part of her wanted to see just what it was he wanted her to see.
At the second floor, he lead her to the first door and into a bedroom. She glanced around and noticed how he was seemingly divided in two. There was a dresser to the right of the doorway and next to it was a single bed. Then on the far side from it was another single bed with a dresser at the foot of it as well. A couple of shelves showcased a few items but otherwise the room was bare.
"That's Yongguk's side." Himchan explained and pointed to the far side of the room.
Jisun inhaled sharply and surveyed the room again. She took a few steps forward, eyeing the shelf that must have held some of Yongguk's things and the hats resting on top of his dresser.
A noise made her turn and she saw Himchan sitting on the other bed as he silently watched her. She turned back around and pressed her lips together. Then she went to Yongguk's bed and sat down as well as she faced the boy in the room.
"I don't expect you to trust but I have to ask you to." he told her. "At least for this. I swear to you that we would never do anything to hurt you."
She thought back to her first mistrust of Yongguk. And also how quickly she had grew to trust him. "So you're not going to murder me in my sleep?" she uttered out loud as she remembered telling Yongguk the same thing.
Himchan chuckled and shook his head. "No." He indicated the door with one hand. "It locks so you can lock it at night." Then he patted the bed he was sitting on. "I'll sleep on the couch of course."
She ran her hands over the bed she was sitting on. "Why did you keep stopping me from talking to him?"
He hesitated, as if he was carefully thinking about what to say. "We keep our distance too." he told her, not quite answering her question.
She waited for more but it was obvious that was all he was going to say about it. She let out a sigh and changed the subject. "What do the names mean?" she asked and nodded at his chest where she knew the dog tags were. "Tatsmato." Then she watched as something about him changed. The way his body stiffened without him moving an inch and how his face appeared more guarded.
"Do you work tomorrow?" he asked.
She raised an eyebrow at him before rolling her eyes and loudly scoffing. Letting him know her displeasure for his secrecy. "No."
"I'll have Zelo go with you to your house tomorrow then so you can grab your things." He stood up and sighed. "I better go start dinner before they try and burn the house down." Then he grimaced. "Or worse, Daehyun tries to cook again."
Jisun watched as he walked out of the room and heard him go down the stairs. Alone now, she looked around the room once more. This was where Yongguk had lived which meant he had lived with these five other guys. Despite her reservations, she had to trust in that fact if she hoped to find answers.
Praying that she was make the right decision, she set her purse on the bed. Then she stood up and walked out of the bedroom.

There was lot of noise coming from the kitchen so Jisun headed for it. She peeked through the doorway to see the chaos. Himchan was cooking by the stove, or at least, was attempting to. He kept having to turn from the food to yell at Zelo to stop rummaging through the fridge. Then he would have to shoo Jongup from the stove as the boy kept poking at the food.
"Youngjae, can you get the garlic bread started?" Himchan called out as he glared at a giggling Jongup who ran around the island counter to get away from him.
Youngjae though didn't even look up from where he was still sitting, eyes glued to the laptop screen as he mindlessly mumbled to himself.
Himchan focused his glare at him before rolling his eyes and muttering something about breaking the computer in half. Then he promptly yelled,  "Zelo, put the tomatoes back!"
"But it's taking too long." the younger boy whined.
"It's not gonna take much longer." Himchan argued back.
"Nope." Jongup agreed as he put a noodle in his mouth.
Himchan slammed the spoon down and pushed the boy. "That's it! Out of the kitchen all of.." He cut off when he looked at the doorway.
Jisun straightened as three pairs of eyes turned to stare at her. She chewed on her lip for a second before asking, "So why is Daehyun's cooking worse than them burning the house down?"
The three boys' faces fell before Zelo and Jongup shrieked with laughter. Himchan chuckled as he released Jongup and turned his attention back to the stove.
"It was horrible noona." Zelo told her. "He tried to boil noodles and when he had me taste them, I spit them out in the sink."
"I can't believe you actually tasted them." Jongup teasingly said. Then he smiled at Jisun. "You should have seen Zelo try to cook noodles though. Yongguk-hyung made him do it three times."
She blinked in surprise at that before lightly giggling.
"Still weren't as bad." Zelo defensively said.
"There were more than a few horrible meals before Himchan learned to cook." Youngjae finally commented.
Jisun shifted her gaze to him as he smiled at her. She noticed that he had finally closed the laptop and then watched as he rubbed his eyes before sighing.
"Youngjae?" questioned Himchan.
The other boy glanced over at him before shaking his head and waving a hand dismissively. Himchan pressed his lips in to a thin line and then went back to cooking.
She curiously watched their exchange, trying to find some hint or clue to what the silent communication was about.
"Jisun," Himchan said, getting her attention, "Can you help with the garlic bread?"
She stared at him for a bit before slowly nodding her head. She stepped in to the kitchen and made her way to the counter. The bread and a tray were already on the counter so she went to the sink and washed her hands. After drying them, she pulled out some bread and began to align them on the tray.
"Here noona." offered Zelo and put the butter on the counter by her. Then Jongup hurriedly fetched her a butter knife.
Himchan reached above the stove and opened the spice cupboard. He grabbed the garlic salt and set it on the counter for her. "Thank you."
The way he said it, Jisun was sure he meant more than just the garlic bread. She didn't reply as she began to butter the bread. "Don't thank me yet. I plan on snooping when your back is turned." she thought to herself.

When the food was done, Himchan instructed the other boys to set the dining room as he drained the noodles.
"What about Daehyun?" Jisun questioned, noticing the guy was still missing.
Youngjae pulled a stack of plates out of the cupboard. "Don't worry. He can smell food from three miles away."
The words barely left his mouth when the back door opened and sure enough, the missing boy entered. Daehyun spared her a small glare when he saw her and then went to leave the kitchen. Only to slow down as he eyed what everyone was doing.
"Help with dinner." Himchan told him and poured the noodles in to a large bowl.
He headed straight for the older male and instantly picked up a noodle before putting it in his mouth.
"I didn't mean like that!" scolded Himchan.
Daehyun shrugged and grabbed the bowl. He walked with it out of the kitchen and into the dining room.
Taking a deep breath, Jisun picked up the plate of garlic bread and followed everyone out of the kitchen. The dining room was rather bare as well except a long table and six chairs. There weren't even anything hanging on the walls. The whole house really was the same way. As if it wasn't really lived in and she wondered just how long they had been staying here.
She set the plate on the table and sat in one of the empty seats. She heard an odd sound and turned to her left. Daehyun was sitting beside her and eyeing her. Then he scooted a few inches away from her before stuffing his face once more.
Rolling her eyes, she grabbed the bowl of noodles and scooped some on her plate. Then the pasta sauce was passed to her and she poured some over the noodles. She tasted a small bit of food and found it surprisingly good despite the horror stories she had heard.
As she ate, she observed the five guys sitting around the table with her. There wasn't much along the lines of conversation though. Everyone was too busy eating. She looked at her plate and an image of Yongguk stuffing his mouth with a jam covered waffle surfaced in her mind. Then she lightly shook her head, shaking the memory away, and continued eating.

Once dinner was done, everyone shared in the clean up and then to Jisun's surprise, quickly dispersed. Zelo said he had something to do and ran upstairs. Youngjae went back to the kitchen and opened the laptop once more. Jongup flopped down on to the couch in the living room with a music player, put the headphones on, and closed his eyes while listening to music. Himchan took his cell phone and went out the front door, making it more than obvious without saying anything that he wanted privacy. She didn't even see where Daehyun had went. Not that she cared too much about that.
She awkwardly shuffled through the bottom floor, feeling very much out of place, before going to the second floor. She went to the first bedroom and looked around the room. She glanced behind her and listened intently but didn't hear anyone coming up the stairs.
She quickly went over to the shelf by Yongguk's dresser and went through his things. Mostly books and a few cds. Nothing out of the ordinary. Then she went to the other shelf that had Himchan's stuff. He had much of the same stuff as Yongguk. Just a few books, colognes, jewelry, and cds. She took the books out and flipped through them for any pieces of paper that might have been stuffed inside them but found nothing.
Since she didn't find anything in this room, she went back to the hallway and continued down it. The next door was open and she saw the room set up the same way. Two single beds on opposite sides with their own dressers and shelving. One shelf had a bunch of electronic things and she took a step closer. Then she quickly stepped back when the floor squeaked slightly and she held her breath.
She listened for any sound but didn't hear anything. Then she slowly let her breath out. "Next time when there aren't as many people home." she thought to herself and turned from the room.
A door to her right led to a bathroom so she went down to the next door. This one was closed but she knew it was another bedroom. And more than likely Zelo's since she he wasn't in the other one. She raised her hand to knock but hesitated. Pressing her lips together, she reached for the doorknob instead and slowly tried to turn it. It didn't move, causing her to frown. "Locked."
She lifted her hand once more to knock when something caught her eye. She went to the end of the hallway and found a small, spiral staircase with a trap door in the ceiling. Curious, she went up the stairs and pushed on the door. It was a bit heavy but she managed to open it and climbed through the opening. When she was through, she carefully closed the door before looking around and gasping.
She stood on a balcony and saw the night sky around her. She stared up at the twinkling stars, suddenly feeling a little more comfortable with their presence. Until she turned around and realized she wasn't alone.
Daehyun sat on the thick, wood railing that circled the porch. He didn't say anything as he glared at her.
She shifted before holding her ground and glaring back at him. "What? Is this an only area?" she asked and folded her arms.
His eyes narrowed even more before he turned away. He looked down at the pad he was holding and tapped the screen, going back to whatever it was he had been doing.
She raised an eyebrow at him before sighing and letting her arms drop. She walked to the railing and glanced around the forest. It was a warm night. One that she could easily find herself sitting outside and star gazing.
She gazed up at the stars and a sudden thought came to her. She stepped back and twisted around, looking for familiar patterns. Then her eyes landed on the spot she was looking for. It was the same place in the sky that Yongguk had kept staring at. Though she never saw what it was he was seeing, she found herself looking anyways. Was he looking right now?
The hair on her neck stood up and she looked over at Daehyun. He was watching her again but instead of glaring, he gave her a confused look. He glanced up at the sky before looking at her again.
She pressed her lips together and then rolled her eyes. She went back to the trap door and lifted it before she descended the stairs. When she reached the second floor, she made her way to the bedroom and closed the door behind her while locking it. She laid on Yongguk's bed with a huff and stared up at the ceiling.