Chapter 36

Storm Rising

Jisun slowly stirred awake, feeling numb and disoriented. When she opened her eyes, all she could see were spinning trees so she quickly closed them. Then she felt something press down on . Before her mind registered what it was, a sharp pain ripped through her left shoulder and she screamed. Fresh adrenaline pumped through her as she opened her eyes and she realized it was Daehyun's hand on that was muffling her scream.
"It's okay, it's okay." he hurriedly told her. He tucked her arm against her chest. "Your shoulder was dislocated. I put it back in place."
Tears welled up and when he moved his hand away, she sobbed while trying to gasp for air at the same time. He stepped away and she felt him messing with her pant leg. She went to sit up but another jolt of pain made her let out a strangled cry before she quickly silenced herself.
"Don't use that arm." Daehyun instructed. "Keep it hugged against you."
She did as he said and lightly held her left arm across her stomach. She used her right arm to help her up so she was sitting. She looked down and saw Daehyun inspecting a nasty gash on her right leg.
He pursed his lips together in thought before grabbing a couple strips of cloth and tying them together. They were the same color as his shirt and she realized he had cut the sleeves off. Once the crude bandage was complete, he wrapped it around her leg and tied it. "Not exactly good enough but it's the best I can do for now." he stated with a disapproving look. Then he looked up and met her gaze. "Does it hurt anywhere else?"
She reached up with her right hand and wiped at the tears on her face. "More like where doesn't it hurt." she whimpered, her whole body feeling bruised and sore.
He blinked at her for a moment before saying, "The pain means you're alive."
She swallowed thickly before looking away. Her gaze found the twisted metal of the battered truck a few feet away. Then she slowly lifted her head and her eyes widened as she saw how far they rolled. She quickly averted her eyes and focused back on Daehyun. He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and pressed a few buttons. Then he groaned in frustration before throwing it aside.
He stood and visibly winced before he stepped closer. "Come on." he said and grabbed her right arm. "We have to go before they come looking for us."
She let him help hoist her to her feet. Then he put her arm around his shoulders so she could use him as support and keep some weight off her leg. Together, they slowly began trekking through the forest once more.

She wasn't sure how long they walked but it seemed like forever. Her mind drifted away as her body followed a familiar rhythm. One foot in front of the other and a pain every other step from her leg. Her eyes slowly closed and she didn't bother opening them, letting Daehyun lead her instead. Then she let out a surprised yelp when they tumbled to the ground.
Keeping her left arm still, she shifted and used her right arm to push herself up. She got on her knees and looked at the boy with her. He was laying face down with his head turned to her so she could see that his eyes were closed. "Daehyun?"
When he didn't answer or move, she felt her heartbeat speed up. She grabbed his arm and managed to roll him on to his back. Then she leaned down and held her ear over his mouth. She heard him lightly breathing thankfully and pulled back a little.
"Daehyun." she said again and shook him. Again, there was no response. She lifted her hand and smacked him a little on the check. When that did nothing, she smacked him harder. "Daehyun!"
Birds cried out as they quickly flew off. She instantly held her hand to as she fearfully glanced around. They weren't out of the woods yet, both figuratively and literally. They could still be looking for them.
She felt her eyes watering as she pressed her lips together. As much as she fought against the tears, they still came and rolled down her cheeks. "I don't know what to do." she whined, her voice straining. She glanced around the forest again but saw only trees. This wasn't like before with Yongguk and how she dragged him to her house. Not that she was capable of dragging someone right now.
She gently touched her left arm as she surveyed his body. Then she furrowed her eyebrows when she saw a dark spot on his jeans. She scooted down to his legs and moved his pant's leg as carefully as she could. Her eyes widened when she saw his leg covered in blood. She moved his pants further up and found the large wound. Her heart sunk as she remembered back to him bandaging her own leg. Which gave her an idea.
She reached up and pulled one of his small knives out of its sheath. She set it on the ground next to her and took a deep breath. She slowly moved her left arm and grabbed her right sleeve. Wincing, she pulled her arm out of the sleeve and then quickly let go with her left hand. She managed to work her shirt off before taking a couple of deep breaths.
Holding the shirt between her legs, she held the sleeve up with her left hand while trying to keep her arm as still as possible. After she got both sleeves cut off, she cut them in to strips and then tied them together just as she saw Daehyun do. When she started putting them around his leg though, she realized a big problem.
"The bandage is too small." she pouted in frustration. She looked at her shirt and pressed her lips together.
She sat back and brought her knees up. She held her shirt between them and also grabbed it with her left hand that was held to her stomach. She stabbed the shirt with the knife, just above the hem stitch. She worked it around the hem until she had a large circle of cloth. Then she sliced through it so it made a strip. Using the sleeves as padding, she used the hem to tie them to his leg.
Once she was done, she sat back and admired her handiwork. Then she carefully put her shirt back on with one arm. Her left arm throbbed painfully from using it but it really was just becoming something she was getting use to. Being in pain.
Suddenly Daehyun stirred and she gasped before quickly moving closer. "Daehyun?"
He winced and then opened his eyes. "Wha..."
"You fainted." she informed him. Then as an afterthought, she added, "I bandaged your leg."
He closed his eyes and she saw how his face twitched a bit.
"Does... Does it hurt anywhere else?" she asked tentatively.
He didn't answer for a while and she wondered if he had passed out again. Then he his lips, "They go to the commander."
She raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Huh?"
"You asked before. About what happened to the tags." he explained. "They go to the leader of the unit. Since F.I.E are gone though, their tags go to the leader of a different unit."
"Yongguk." Jisun uttered out loud.
Daehyun smirked a little. "Except it's not exactly himself." Then he suddenly grimaced before gasping for air. "Himchan. The tags go to Himchan." he said as he brought a hand up to his chest and touched his tags.
She reached her own hand up and touched the tags around her neck. "Why... are you telling me this?" she whispered.
"We have to get to the cave." he said instead of answering. He slowly got to his feet, staggering. Jisun hurriedly got to her feet and grabbed him to help steady him.
"I'm fine." he insisted and attempted to put her arm around his shoulders.
"No you're not." she argued and pulled her arm free. Then she thought to herself, "We need help." Except help was where they were trying to go. If only there was someone closer...
"We've been traveling southeast right?" she questioned as a plan formed in her mind. "Are we close to town?"
He stared at her for a bit before tilting his head. "Why?"
"Are we closer to town than the cave?" she asked.
Daehyun glanced up at the sky. "Yes. If we head more south, we'll reach the town."
"Then that's where we're going." she proclaimed. She bent down to pick up his knife and held it out to him.
"Again, why?" he asked as he took the knife and put it back in its sheath.
"I have a friend in town. I trust her." she informed him. "We can.."
"No." he argued, cutting her off.
"You fainted." she countered as she felt her eyes watering. She lost one argument already that lead to someone's death. She wasn't going to let it happen again. "Please." she quietly begged.
Daehyun's eyes widened a little as he looked at her. Then he swallowed and turned his gaze away. "Fine." he relented, grumbling a little. "But we don't stay. Just get patched up and get some water."
She let out a breath of relief and nodded. She was so happy he gave in that she even let him put her arm around his shoulders despite his own injured leg.

Jisun glanced at Daehyun out of the corner of her eye. To say he was nervous and agitated would be an understatement. As they headed to the apartments close to the outskirts of town, he constantly looked around for any signs of trouble.
She lead him to the outside stairwell and up to the second floor. When they reached the correct door, she glanced at him. He smoothed down his shirt some more and made sure his knives were hidden. Then he nodded and she knocked on the door. A few seconds later, the door swung open to reveal Yoonjung.
"Holy !" the girl exclaimed as dropped open.
"I need your help." Jisun said and pushed her way into the apartment. She turned to make sure Daehyun followed her inside and saw Yoonjung eyeing him curiously before closing the door.
"What in the world happened to you?" her friend demanded as she moved closer.
"Car accident." Jisun replied as she had rehearsed.
Yoonjung raised an eyebrow in disbelief. "A car accident?" Then she tsked and pouted as she brushed a hand over the cut on Jisun's face. Her gaze went downward and she pulled Jisun's hand away from her body to look at it.
Jisun cried out and Yoonjung quickly let go as her eyes widened. Jisun held her hand to her stomach again while she gingerly touched her shoulder. "Sorry." Jisun offered. "I... hurt my shoulder."
Yoonjung eyed her up and down before shaking her head. "Please tell me that by 'help', you meant for me to drive you to the hospital."
"No, we're fine." Jisun insisted. "We just need to clean up and get some water."
The other girl sighed as her shoulders slumped. "I know there's something you're not telling me but alright. I'll get the first aid kit." Then she turned and disappeared in to the kitchen.
Jisun pushed Daehyun away from guarding the front door and over to the couch. She forced him to sit down before taking a seat as well. Yoonjung hurried in and out of the room as she collected everything. A first aid kit, a couple of clean rags, a bowl of water, and some water bottles.
When Jisun reached for a bottle, Daehyun quickly took it out of her hands. Then he twisted the cap off before handing it to her. "Thanks." she mumbled and eagerly took a drink. The cold water felt so refreshing.
"Okay. Let's see what we have." Yoonjung declared as she knelt in front Jisun. She rolled up the pant's leg and carefully removed Daehyun's makeshift bandage. She used the water and a rag to clean the wound before adding some antibiotic ointment and then a new bandage wrapped with gauze.
Next Yoonjung gently took Jisun's left hand and slowly moved it closer, being mindful of her shoulder this time. She unwrapped the soiled bandage and gasped when she saw the stab wound. She quickly looked up and gave Jisun a pointed look. Jisun in turn pressed her lips together and didn't say anything. So Yoonjung silently went about treating her hand and then cleaned the cut on Jisun's face.
When she was finished, she handed Jisun a couple of pain pills and she swallowed them with more water. Then Yoonjung went to hand a couple of pills to Daehyun but Jisun quickly grabbed her hand. "Uh... no." Jisun said. "He... has allergies. Lots of allergies to different medications."
"Oh. Ok." Yoonjung said and put the pills back in the bottle. "Let me get an ice pack for your shoulder." she added. She stood and disappeared into the kitchen.
Jisun took the opportunity then to lean in closer to Daehyun. She could easily tell he was still on edge. Not only by how stiffly he was sitting but by the way he was glaring at the pain pills. "Drink some water and relax. Please." she whispered. "And the ointment is the same one I used on Yongguk so it'll be fine."
He eyed her before rolling his eyes and turning away. He did however grab a water bottle and took a drink.
Yoonjung came back at that moment and handed the ice pack to Jisun. "I don't have a sling or anything I can give you."
"It's fine. Thank you." Jisun replied and gently held the ice pack to her shoulder.
"Do you have an old pillow case you don't use?" Daehyun suddenly asked.
Jisun jumped a little in surprise as she glanced at him. Then she looked at Yoonjung who was biting her bottom lip in thought before saying. "Yeah." She left the room and returned a few seconds later.
Daehyun took the pillowcase from her and reached behind him. He pulled out a small knife, causing Yoonjung to take a quick step back. He didn't seem to notice though. He cut both of the sides and left the bottom together so it form a long strip of cloth. When he was done, he slipped the knife back in to its sheath before shifting on the couch to face Jisun.
He slipped it under her arm and then brought up to two ends. He slowly tied the ends together once and waited for Jisun to adjust her arm so it was in the right place. Then he finished tying it again.
As he was doing that, Jisun glanced up and saw Yoonjung standing close to Daehyun. Before she realized what the other girl was doing, Yoonjung reached for Daehyun's neck. In one swift movement, she grabbed the chain and pulled it off.
"Yoonjung!" Jisun exclaimed as she stood.
Daehyun jumped to his feet as well and reached for his tags. He snatched them away from her but not before Yoonjung got a good look at them. He slipped the chain over his head and tucked his dog tags back in to his shirt once more.
Jisun moved closer to Yoonjung. "Why did you.."
Yoonjung suddenly grabbed Jisun's right arm and ushered her across the room. Further away from Daehyun. "Get out." she told him.
"What are you doing?" Jisun demanded, confused.
Yoonjung turned to her with a pleading look. "Trust me on this. You don't know who these people are."
"Who these... What??" Jisun's eyes widened as she stared at the other girl in shock.
Daehyun quickly closed the distance and in a flash, held a knife to Yoonjung's throat. "Let her go." he growled. Yoonjung stared him in the eye without flinching. Jisun went to pull her arm away but the other girl tightened her grip.
"Don't Jisun." Yoonjung said to her. "You don't understand. They're not who they say they are."
"I know exactly who they are." Jisun countered and finally yanked her arm free. She moved away and stepped behind Daehyun.
Yoonjung's mouth dropped open. "Jisun, please. Don't do this." She went to take a step closer but Daehyun pressed the knife harder against her neck and she ended up stumbling back a step. Then she glared angrily at the male. "It's not like they're even scientists or diplomats. They're military." She softened as she directed her gaze to Jisun. "And you don't send your military unless you're planning to invade."
Jisun felt her eyes watering as she swallowed and her lips. "But it wasn't them that did this to me or drove us off the mountain road." She ignored the shocked look on Yoonjung's face and took a couple more steps back. "Let's go."
Daehyun didn't move and Jisun's heart skipped a beat. She suddenly thought back to the man Daehyun had killed in the alley. "Dae..." she squeaked, feeling the first couple of tears freeing themselves as they left her eyes.
He continued standing there, as if he didn't hear her. Then he finally pulled away and took a step back. He turned and hurried Jisun towards the front door.
She didn't fight him but once they reached the door, she abruptly came to a stop. She whirled around and approached Yoonjung. When she got close, she swung and slapped Yoonjung across the face. The girl's head whipped to the side before she quickly brought a hand up to her cheek and gaped and Jisun. "Make your own blackberry jam." Jisun sobbed. Then she turned and went back to Daehyun.
They quickly left the apartment and went down the stairs. By the time they reached the sidewalk, Jisun had to furiously wipe her eyes to try and clear her vision. Then she felt her hand get grabbed. She held his hand and let him lead her back to the forest.