Chapter 1

Storm Rising

It was the last moment of calm before the storm hit. The sky overhead turning a dark grey as the black clouds in the distance quickly advanced. The wind blew harshly, causing the branches of the trees to sway and Jisun knew it was time to go. She hurriedly picked the last of the strawberries, well ripened for late May, and tossed them in to the plastic bag. She already had more than she could eat but the thought of making homemade jam was what kept her out so late. She placed the now full bag in to the backpack with the other bags she had filled. Then hoisting it on to her shoulders, she hurriedly set off down the path and hoped she made it home in time.
Despite the growing darkness, Jisun easily walked without losing the path or tripping over anything. She had been on it everyday of her life as she grew up and it was as familiar to her as the surrounding woods. She knew exactly where to go to find the various berry bushes and when to pick them during the year. When the season turned to summer, she would enjoy blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. All supplemented with the vegetables that grew in the garden behind her house. The carrots and the spinach should be ready for picking soon as well. The tomatoes,  and green beans came later in the year.
Being so acquainted with the forest was how she was able to spot something that was out of place. She came to a stop and narrowed her eyes at the shadow on the ground a few feet off of the path. It was hard to see exactly what it was and despite the warning of thunder in the distance, she let her curiosity lead her through the brush to it. She stopped a couple feet from it and gasped but the man laying on the forest floor didn't move.
"Uh... hello?" Jisun called out to the stranger.
He continued laying on his stomach with his head turned away from her so all she saw was his black hair. She slowly moved closer until she could reach out with her foot and nudge his shoulder. He didn't stir yet again and so she hesitantly knelt down beside him. Taking two fingers, she placed them on his neck and let out a breath of relief when she felt a pulse. At least she wasn't dealing with a dead body.
Placing a hand on his back, she gave him a hard shake. "Hey!"
Nothing and she bit her lip in confusion. She stood up as she reached over and grabbed him, pulling his body so he rolled on to his back. Then she stumbled back really fast at the horrible sight before her. His black shirt was torn and the skin underneath was red with blood. She quickly stared down at her hands and at the blood now covering them, her jaw quivering. She needed to get help.
Just as she turned to hurry home, another boom of thunder broke the surrounding silence and caused her to jump. She looked up through the trees to the sky and saw black clouds above her. Any minute now, the rain would fall and soak the earth. By the time the police would arrive after the long drive up the mountain, he would have been out here for quite a while. No telling how long he had already been laying there or how much blood he already lost. She looked through the trees and saw the light from her back porch. It wasn't that far.
Taking a deep breath, she turned back and looked at the injured guy. He was bigger than her but she had to try. She stepped around by his head and lifted his upper body so she could get her hands under his armpits. Then she started tugging, dragging his body towards her home. It was hard work and slow going but she didn't give up. If jostling him around like this didn't wake him though, he was really knocked out. 'And really hurt.' she thought.
The only sounds in the forest were her heavy breathing and grunts until there was another clap of thunder. Then the rain started pouring and she cursed as she started slipping a little. Glancing behind her, she saw the house and how close she was before she lost her footing. She cried out as she fell hard to the ground, landing on her hip and the man landing on her legs. Her hip throbbed painfully to join the ache in her back and shoulders from dragging the unconscious guy.
"If you're ever going to wake up, now would be a good time." she commented as she winced in pain.
She looked down at his face, washed clean now of the dirt that had been covering it thanks to the rain. He didn't appear to be much older than her. She reached out and wiped at a cheek, brushing off some of the remaining dirt. His skin was cold to the touch despite the coolness of her own skin. She shivered and then shook her head. Now wasn't the time to keep sitting on the wet ground. She had to help him.

After a few more pain filled minutes, she reached the back porch and home. She managed to drag him up the two steps and on to the deck before setting him down. Whining as she rolled her shoulders, she hurriedly opened the back door. It led to a small mud room where everything she used to work in the garden was stored as well as the washer and dryer. She turned the light on and set her backpack of strawberries on the dryer before going back outside for her other cargo. Slipping on the linoleum floor, she manged to pull him into the house before kicking the door shut and drowning out the incessant thunder.
Jisun laid down on the floor beside him as she tried to catch her breath, every muscle in her body screaming at her. "That was just about the worst thing ever." she muttered.
A very loud crash of thunder and then the lights went out.
"Or that." she groaned and closed her eyes.
With much reluctance, she climbed to her feet. Then she kicked off her hiking boots and opened the second door into the kitchen. She walked over to the phone hanging on the wall and lifted the receiver. Just as she feared, the line was dead and her cell phone didn't get any reception until she was halfway down the mountain. With the way the storm outside raged on, it wasn't going to stop anytime soon.
She turned around and walked back over to the mud room, looking down at the still unconscious male. As much as her body wanted to, she couldn't leave him laying on the floor in his wet clothes.
With a sigh, she lifted her arms to stretch her sore muscles. Then she went to his feet first to take off his muddy shoes and his socks. She tossed them aside before going up to his head. She hooked her arms under his armpits once more and with a groan, started to drag him in to the kitchen.
She pulled him across the kitchen towards the hallway and turned down it. His wet jeans slid along the smooth floor. Luckily the first room was the guest room so she didn't have to carry his weight for too long.
Once inside, she carefully laid him on the floor by the bed. A whine escaped her as she straightened, every muscle in her back protesting. Then she hurried out of the room and over to the bathroom. She grabbed the first aid kit and a couple of towels out of the linen closet before carrying them to the guest room. Next she went back to the kitchen and found the extra candles on top of the fridge along with a lighter. Checking that a candle was snug tightly in to a holder, she lit it and the kitchen was suddenly illuminated. Which also showed her the dirty trail on the floor leading from the mud room to the kitchen. She frowned at the messy sight but it would have to wait until later.
She carefully carried the candle to the guest room and set it on the dresser. Then she grabbed the pillow of the bed and laid it on the floor. She draped the towel over it before lifting the guy's head and maneuvering the pillow under it. Taking the edges of the towel, she gently wiped his face and hair.
"There." Jisun quietly uttered as she stared at his face. She let her gaze linger on him for a moment before looking down at his shirt. It was torn all over, making it easy for her to see the wounds that adorned his skin. She pulled the first aid kit closer and then reached for his shirt.
As she started to lift it, something around his neck caught her eye and she stopped. She let go of his shirt and moved her hands upwards. A metal chain was around his neck and she gently pulled on it. At first she thought it was a necklace but when the rest of it emerged out of his shirt, she realized it was something more. Two metal tags hung on the chain and she leaned in closer to inspect them.
"Shishimato." she read on the first tag. It was a strange name but so was the bunny icon that adorned it as well. Then she looked at the second tag. "Bang Yong Guk."
Suddenly she let out a terrified squeak before a hand wrapped around and silenced her. Her hands shot up to grab the hand, trying to pry it away from her. The man that had just been laying unconscious before was glaring at her with angry eyes.
"Who are you?" he growled and squeezed his hand tighter.
Her eyes widened in fright as her jaw shook, unable to answer.
"What are you... do..." the stranger trailed off as his eyes unfocused. His head fell back on to the pillow and his hand dropped to the floor.
As soon as she was free, Jisun threw herself backwards and away from him. hurt and she let out a hacking cough. Then she scrambled off the floor and ran out of the room.
She slipped on the wet floor in the hallway but it barely slowed her frantic pace as she burst in to the kitchen. She ran for the far counter and reached the wood block that held the cooking knives. She grabbed the handle of one and pulled it out just as she turned around. Lightning flashed outside, lighting up the kitchen as she held the knife up but she was alone. Then a crack of thunder boomed and she jumped from the loud noise.
Shaking, she continued standing there until her heart slowed and she got her breathing under control. Then with much hesitation, she slowly took a step forward. Then another and another until she was finally at the hallway.
As she moved closer to the guest room, she squeezed the knife handle tighter. She came up to the doorway and took a deep breath before stepping in to it. Then she let the breath out when she saw the male laying on the floor still.
Her hand shook as she swallowed and then she finally let her hand drop to her side. A few shaky breaths to steady herself and then she was hurrying through the house again. She went to the mud room and found the extra rope. She took it to the guest room and slowly approached the stranger.
"Hey!" she called out and gently nudged his leg with her foot. He didn't stir though.
She gave herself a few seconds again to prepare before setting the knife and rope aside. Being as quick and careful as she could. She scooted his body so his head was by the side of the bed. Then she fetched the rope and knife. She tied the end of the rope to one of his wrist. Then she measured out some length up to the bed frame and cut it. Lifting the mattress revealed the metal, spring frame and she looped the rope through it, tying a secure knot. Then she repeated it with his other wrist. This effectively tied him up but allowed his arms to lay on the floor instead of dangling in the air and the blood draining from them.
When she was done, she reached for his shirt again but stopped. She glanced at his face but his eyes remained close. Keeping her gaze on him, she slowly moved her hands forward until she felt his wet shirt. Again, he didn't move.
With a sigh of relief, she gently pulled his shirt up in the air and slipped the knife under it. She carefully cut the shirt until the front fell away in to two. She grabbed the other towel and gently wiped him dry, being extra mindful of his wounds. Then she took the antibiotic cream out of the kit and spread it on him. Next, bandages were taped in to place.
The second she was finished, she scrambled away from him and made sure the knife was with her. He stayed still but an uneasy feeling settled in her stomach.
her lips, she stood up with the knife grabbed firmly in her hand. Her other hand grabbed the candle off of the dresser before she backed out of the room. She quickly made her way down the hall to the other bedroom and closed the door behind her. And locked it.
She set the candle on the dresser before making her way to the bed. She sat in the middle of it, staring at the door while still holding the knife. Outside, the lighting continued to streak through the rain clouds and the thunder angrily shook the sky. Letting the world know that the calm was gone and the storm wasn't going away anytime soon.