Chapter 16

Storm Rising

Jisun woke up the next morning and stretched in her bed. Sitting up, she twisted her neck and yawned. Then she reached up and tenderly touched the back of her head. It was slightly sore now, mostly just when she touched it. Otherwise she felt fine.
Her mind drifted to another memory of Yongguk. When she had woken him up to save him from his nightmare. Only to have him shove her hard enough that she fell to the floor and she hit her head.
A twinge of pain ripped through her chest and she closed her eyes. Awake for not even a minute and she already thought of him.
Sighing, she kicked off her blankets and climbed out of bed. She made her way to the kitchen and went through the mud room to the back porch. As she walked to the garden, she glanced around for her little rabbit friend but didn't see him.
"Breakfast is served." she said and went to the lettuce. She lifted the metal net and ripped a couple of leaves off. Then she tossed them away before securing the net back in place.
She started to walk towards the house when she heard rustling. She turned around and saw the bunny emerge from the bushes. Instead of waiting for her to leave though, it hopped right over to the lettuce and began eating.
A big smile formed on her face as she watched him eat. "Finally trusting me now?" she teased. She still made sure she held perfectly still though so she wouldn't startle it.
Another rustling noise and suddenly the rabbit froze. Jisun glanced over to the woods where it had come from but didn't see anything. "Another rabbit?" she thought.
She looked back over at her rabbit and saw that he was still sitting there, not eating. Then it quickly darted away as fast as its little legs could carry back in to the forest.
Jisun blinked in surprise before surveying the woods. Now she doubted the noise was another rabbit because her rabbit wouldn't have reacted so dramatically like that. She didn't see anything but the hair on the back of her neck stood up.

After work Jisun went to the coffee shop once more. She sat down at a table by the window with her coffee and watched the people outside. She planned on having one cup before making her usual walk around the block.
Sighing, she lazily stirred her coffee and wondered if she would see him today. She was so close yesterday. If she hadn't ran in to Zelo, she was sure she would have caught him.
At that thought, she furrowed her eyebrows and her hand stopped stirring her coffee. It was Zelo and that other guy who stopped her the other day from reaching Yongguk. When Yoonjung was with her. Then before that, it was that guy with the pink hair. Each time she had seen Yongguk, someone had gotten in her way. Stopping her. Was that coincidence?
Her train of thought was suddenly broken at the sound of scraping chairs. She turned her attention from the window to the two guys who had sat down at her table.
"Hey." one guy said with a smile. "You're Jisun right?"
Her gaze shifted back and forth between them. She didn't recognize either guy. "What?"
The second guy shifted and leaned forward while giving her a charming smile. "Well you see, we were hoping you could help us with something."
"Do I know you?" she questioned.
The guys shared a quick glance before turning back to her. "Well no but there is someone we both know. A friend."
The first guy leaned forward as well, intently watching her. "You wouldn't happen to know where Yongguk is would you?"
Her heart skipped a beat and she inhaled sharply. "What?" she uttered in surprise.
"We're trying to find Yongguk." the man reiterated.
The hair on the back of her neck stood up and a sinking feeling filled her stomach. She stared at him for a bit before looking down at her coffee. Then she let out a scoff. "You and me both."
"You don't.."
"And if you find that ," she continued, cutting him off. She lifted her head and met his gaze. "Tell him to return my grandfather's pocket watch."
The two men blinked at her in surprise, confirming her suspicion. She didn't trust them.
"Pocket watch?" one guy inquired.
She sighed and nodded her head. "It's the only thing I had left from my grandfather so it means a lot to me. The stole it. Probably to sell it for money."
The guys looked briefly at each other once more before turning back to her. "What about that red haired kid from yesterday?"
She furrowed her eyebrows. "What about..." She trailed off as she thought about what they said. "Wait, how do you know about that?"
This time, they looked a bit nervous. "Well... We.."
"Why are you following me?" she demanded raising her voice.
One guy eyed the other customers in the shop before smiling at her. "There's no need to cause a scene."
"Of course I'm going to make a scene." she stated, raising her voice even more. "Why are you following me?!"
At this point, several customers were looking over at them curiously.
"I don't like either of you stalking me!" she shouted. "Or harassing me like you are now!"
One of the workers piped up from behind the counter. "Is there a problem?"
"No, no problem." one of the guys quickly said as he stood up. "We're leaving."
Jisun watched as both men hurried away from her and out the door. Only then did she let out the breath she had been holding. That was definitely not coincidence.
The image of Yongguk in the tree house, admiring her grandpa's broken pocket watch, entered her mind as she closed her eyes. She wanted to find him more than anything now. To make sure he was okay.
She opened her eyes and looked out the window. The sidewalks were filing now with people getting off work. Chewing on her lip, she decided she would just sit in the shop rather than walking around. She didn't want to risk walking by herself if those guys were planning on following her today. Who knows what they would do if she was by herself.

Several hours and a couple cups of coffee later, Jisun finally tore her eyes away from the coffee shop window. Another day without seeing him. Then she gulped down the rest of the cold coffee before gathering her things and heading out the door.
She glanced around as she walked down the sidewalk but didn't see either of those guys from earlier. She made her way to her car and got in to the driver's seat. She set her purse aside and put the key in the ignition. Just as she was about to turn it, a sight through the front windshield made her freeze. dropped open as she watched Yongguk swiftly walk past her.
Feeling dazed, she opened the door and climbed out of the car. She watched his retreating back for a bit before shaking her head. Then she slammed the door closed and hurried on to the sidewalk.
She quickly followed him, getting closer as her heart thundered in her chest. Then suddenly a person stepped out of a small alcove in front of her and she bumped in to them. She stumbled back and felt someone grab her arms. Then she blinked at the person she had ran in to.
"We really need to stop meeting like this." the pink haired guy said with a smile. The one that she had ran in to before and had given her the rose.
Jisun blinked at him for a brief moment before bringing her arms up and shoving him. He let out a yelp as he stumbled backwards and she quickly ran past him. She saw Yongguk once more and chased after him. Then she was suddenly grabbed again.
"Don't Jisun." the guy told her, a slight edge to his voice.
She shoved him once more while yanking her arm away. Then she sped off as fast as she could for Yongguk again. This time, the distance closing between them. Close enough that she reached out and her hand wrapped around his arm, stopping him as he turned around.
Jisun breathed heavily, staring at him while Yongguk stared at her. Looking in to those brown eyes once more. She finally caught him.
"Yongguk." she uttered, overwhelmed by so many emotions.
He blinked at her and raised his eyebrows. "Do I... know you?"
The question sent her reeling as he mouth dropped open in shock. Her mind went blank and her body went numb. Then his arm was ripped from her grip as someone came between them.
"What the hell are you doing?!" the girl hissed at her.
Jisun's jaw shook as she blinked at the girl. "I.."
"Whoever you think my brother is, he's not." the girl stated. "So I'd appreciate it if you never came near him again." Then she whirled around and grabbed Yongguk's hand before leading him down the sidewalk.
Jisun watched them walk away until her vision clouded. She rapidly blinked, trying to clear her eyes while a single tear rolled down her cheek.
"You shouldn't have done that."
Her head whipped to the side and she saw the same pink haired guy standing next to her. He wasn't looking at her though but at the two people walking away. Then he turned his head to look at her, his gaze going to her cheek. She quickly reached up and wiped the tear away
"It's okay. He doesn't remember me either." the guy quietly told her.
She wasn't sure if that was suppose to be reassuring or not because instead, she only felt anger building up inside her. "Is that why you kept stopping me from catching him?" she spat.
He pressed his lips together and looked away. That was enough to answer her question though.
"Who are you are?!" she demanded as more tears spilled from her eyes.
He sighed. "Jisun.."
"And why does everyone know my name?!" she interrupted. "What is going on?!"
He quickly looked at her and narrowed his eyes. "What do you mean everyone knows your name?"
Steely resolve filled her as she glared at him. "What is going on?"
They both stood there, staring at each other for what seemed like an eternity. Until he finally broke first and sighed. "Follow me." he said and went to walk away.
"What?? No." she told him. "Why the hell do you think I trust you?"
He stopped and eyed her for a bit. Then he stepped closer and reached up to his neck. He pulled on the metal chain, bringing it out of his shirt.
Jisun gasped as he held the dog tags out in front of her. She recognized the bunny icon. It was the same one that was on Yongguk's dog tags. The words on these tags were different though. 'Tatsmato' and 'Kim Him Chan'.
"Because you trust Yongguk." the guy declared. Then he stuffed the dog tags inside his shirt again. "So if you want answers, you're going to have to trust me."

 

"Don't you realize how much I worry about you? Why do you keep wandering off??"
Yongguk followed his sister through the front door. "Sorry." he mumbled, feeling guilty.
She turned around to look at him and then sighed. "Just... Stop leaving the house. Okay?"
He pressed his lips together and nodded. Then he watched as she left the living room and went into the kitchen. He slipped his own shoes off and went to follow her but suddenly stopped. He turned and looked at the front door. An irresistable urge to go outside filled him and before he realized it, he had already taken a few steps toward it. He stopped himself though and squeezed his eyes shut while shaking his head. Then he backed up before going into the kitchen.
His sister was muttering to herself as she put the groceries away. Yongguk eyed the bags and went over to the counter. He started pulling stuff out of them when the room spun a little. One hand grabbed the counter as he quickly blinked his eyes. He glanced around the kitchen, feeling disorientated. "This isn't the same room." The strange thought came out of nowhere and he wondered what made him think it.
"Yongguk?"
He turned his head and noticed his sister standing by him.
"Are you okay?" she worriedly questioned as one of her hands grabbed his arm.
"I... I don't..." he stuttered.
She let out another sigh and pouted. "This is why you're suppose to stay home. You're too sick to be walking around outside."
He his lips before swallowing. "I'm sorry noona." he whispered.
She surveyed him for a bit and squeezed his arm reassuringly. "I'll take care of the groceries. Why don't you go lay down?"
"I can help." he protested. He turned back to the counter and grabbed another bag. Then he stopped and blinked in surprise at the container he was holding.
"And I said no." his sister argued and slid the bag away from him. "Go.."
"Can I have some?" he asked her suddenly.
"Huh?" she questioned before noticing the container. "Oh. Yeah." she said with a little smile. "They looked so good I just had to buy some." Then she gave him a little push towards the table. "But you have to sit and rest."
Yongguk smiled a little too. "Alright." he agreed. He went over to the table and pulled out a chair before sitting down. He set the container on the table and opened it. Then he grabbed one of the strawberries out if it.
He took a small bite and chewed, relishing the sweet taste before swallowing. Then all of a sudden, he was thinking of the unknown girl from town. The one who had stopped him.
The same disorientating feeling washed over him and he stared at the container of strawberries.
"I hope you like waffles and strawberries."
An image filled his mind; he was in the woods and he was picking strawberries. They... were picking strawberries. Then the image changed and he was standing by a stove with a bowl of strawberries. She was sitting on the counter, smiling at him.
"I know her." he whispered.
"Huh?" his sister said and turned around.
Yongguk tore his gaze from the container of strawberries to look at her. "I know her."
"Who?" she asked and furrowed her eyebrows.
"That girl." he answered. "From town." Then he watched as his sister's eyes widened and dropped open.
All of a sudden, pain exploded in his head and he squeezed his eyes shut. He dropped the strawberry as he brought both his hands to his head.
"Yongguk!"
He didn't even realize he was falling until he hit the floor. He rolled on to his knees and opened his eyes as he felt someone grab him.
"You don't know her." his sister insisted, her hands squeezing his shoulders. "You don't know her."
"I do know her." he repeated and another sharp pain caused him to cry out. He closed his eyes once more and he was suddenly being filled with more images. A dim room that smelled of the forest. Another room with a bed and her sitting next to him. Then they were outside and it was dark. She was standing next to him. "I won't leave you." He leaned in closer, his heart pounding in his chest, and...
He jumped and fell to the side. He opened his eyes to see his sister kneeling next to him and a needle in her hand.
"What did you..." He tried to stand up but stumbled and knocked a chair over. Then his legs gave out and he fell back on to the floor. He rolled on to his back and stared up at the ceiling. His limbs felt heavy and he was having a hard time keeping his eyes open.
"It's okay Yongguk. Everything will be okay."
Then his eyes closed and everything went black.