Chapter 27

Storm Rising

Jisun slowly woke and rolled over with a small groan. Whatever restless sleep she had gotten was clearly not enough. She opened her eyes and blinked a few times against the sunlight as she peeked across the room. The other bed was empty. She wasn't sure if she should be relieved or not but either way, she was going to have to face him throughout the day. With a heavy sigh, she kicked the blanket off before climbing off the bed and getting ready for the day.
When she descended down the stairs, she heard voices coming form the kitchen. She entered and found Himchan, Zelo, and a very tired looking Daehyun. There were dark circles under his eyes as if he hadn't slept at all. Not that the other two looked much better.
"Is everything..." She trailed off as she eyed Daehyun and made her way to the counter.
Himchan's lips pressed in to a thin line. "They didn't find Suyun."
A noise behind her made her turn around and she saw Yongguk standing in the doorway. His black hair was wet and he was wearing fresh clothes. "Where is she then?" he asked.
Jisun turned back around to see the shared look the other three had given each other.
"We'll find her." Himchan declared.
Yongguk didn't say anything as he glanced around at them. Then he slowly made his way to the island counter. He reached for a plate and began to make a small plate for himself.
Jisun surveyed the food but she didn't have much of an appetite. She opted for a single piece of toast and reached for the slices. When her hand brushed another hand though, she quickly jerked her hand back. She looked up at Yongguk who was looking at her and she felt her face flush slightly. She hurriedly looked away and waited for him to grab a piece of toast before taking one.
She looked around the counter for topping and her eyes landed on a jar that was placed between Zelo and Yongguk. Her eyes widened as she recognized the strawberry jam. And then her breath caught in as she watched Yongguk reach for it. His hand stopped before it reached its destination though. She curiously stared at the older male and saw him furrow his eyebrows, his gaze never wavering from the jar.
Time seemed to slow down around her. She was only aware of her heart thundering in her chest as she stood there, completely frozen.
"Hyung!" Youngjae called out as he raced in to the kitchen.
Everyone quickly looked over at the frantic male. His black hair was a mess and he had dark circles around his eyes as well. In his hands was a lap top and he carried it around the island towards Himchan.
"You have to see this." he continued and shoved at the breakfast spread to free space for the laptop.
Instantly the others grabbed for plates and other items that otherwise would have crashed to the floor. Zelo let out a small yelp and then a sigh of relief as he caught the jar of strawberry jam.
"Youngjae." Himchan chided, his hands full of toast. He deposited the bread on to the plate that held scrambled eggs before slipping the plate under it.
"Look!" the younger boy said, oblivious to the mess he almost caused.
Himchan leaned down as his eyes scanned the laptop screen. Meanwhile, Youngjae talked animatedly. She couldn't keep up with what he was saying, the scientific sounding words might as well have been Greek to her. Not to mention the words that did sound like he was speaking some sort of foreign language.
"Okay, what does that mean?" Daehyun groaned as he tiredly rubbed his face.
Youngjae cut off and blinked at him in confusion. "Uh... Well... If Suyun-noona is right, and I've ran the data myself so I say she is, then Yongguk-hyung needs more of the medicine she gave him yesterday." He turned to Himchan, a worried look growing in his eyes. "Probably several more injections until the brain damage is completely reversed. Otherwise he'll start having the headaches again."
Tense silence filled the room. Slowly, everyone's gaze turned to stare at Yongguk. He his lips and swallowed. "And then...?"
Suddenly Daehyun stood, his chair scrapping along the kitchen floor. "What do you need?" he asked Youngjae.
"You need to rest." Himchan countered. "Zelo and I can.."
"What do you need?" Daehyun asked, raising his voice above the other guy.
Youngjae silently mouthed as he thought. Then he shook his head. "Anything. Everything. The equipment and the chemicals. Whatever you can bring me back from noona's house."
Without another word, Daehyun spun around and dashed out of the kitchen. His heavy footsteps could be heard going up the stairs to the second floor.
Himchan let out a brief sigh before nodding at the youngest. "Go with him."
"Okay." Zelo said as he set the jar of jam down and then hurried out of the room as well.
Jisun pursed her lips worryingly. "But won't those men be there still?" she questioned. "Since they're looking for Yongguk and you guys."
"They'll be fine." Himchan assured her.
She swallowed, not feeling much better. She caught of glimpse of Yongguk out of the corner of her eye and saw him silently standing there. Watching everything.
A few seconds later, Daehyun and Zelo reappeared. Around their waists were belts where sheaths hung, each one holding a knife of various sizes.
She must have had an odd look on her face as Zelo paused before walking up to her. "We'll be back soon noona." he said with a bright smile. Then he quickly followed after Daehyun out the back door.
Youngjae mumbled a few things, either to them or to himself, as he picked the laptop up and carried it out to the living room. That left her, Yongguk, and Himchan in the kitchen.
"The memory loss is from brain damage?" questioned Yongguk.
Himchan blinked at him for a moment before hesitantly saying, "Yes."
"How?" the oldest inquired.
Hesitating again, Himchan bit his bottom lip. Then he shook his head and looked away as he began to clean up the breakfast. "Don't worry about that."
If it wasn't for Jisun staring at him, she might have missed the small glare that formed on Yongguk's face for a brief second. Then he picked up his plate and turned away as he walked to the dining room.
"You should probably call in sick."
Jisun looked away form the dining to give her attention to Himchan. "What?"
"With the attack, it's best to stay in." he explained to her. "Where we can easily keep an eye on you and Yongguk."
She felt her heart skip a beat and nodded her head. "Okay." she replied.
He paused his cleanup efforts to give her a curious look. Then he simply smiled and continued. "Thank you for not arguing with me."
She blinked at him for a bit before letting out a tiny chuckle and helping him.

After the kitchen was clean, Jisun wandered to the living room and sat down to watch whatever was on the television. Eventually Jongup had came down the stairs and regarded her with a small smile while rubbing sleep out of his eyes. Then he ducked in to the kitchen.
She turned her attention back to the program but she didn't really follow it. Event after event replayed inside her mind instead, adding to her worry. She hoped Zelo and Daehyun would be alright, even though she still thought of Daehyun as a complete . And just when they would they be back. She also hoped Suyun was alive and unhurt. That Yongguk wouldn't have a headache and Youngjae could make the medicine. That everything would work out and her life would return to normal. Well, as normal as it could after knowing alien bunnies were living on earth and she could help but smile a tiny bit at that.
Sighing, she turned the television off and stood. She glanced around for something else to occupy herself but like much of the house, the room was bare and she didn't relish the idea of holing herself up in the bedroom. Fresh air sounded better.
She made her way to the kitchen were she found Jongup digging food out of the fridge. She walked around the other side of the island counter to the back door. She opened it and stepped out in the sunshine before closing the door behind her. Then she took a deep breath of the fresh mountain air.
The back porch had a patio set and she started to make her way to it when a sight made her stop. She spotted Yongguk sitting on the steps with his back leaning against the railing. He had the little book from last night and was thumbing through it with a look of concentration. She took a step forward, making the wood of the porch squeak a little and he glanced up. As she walked over to him, he closed the book.
"Hey." she greeted.
He nodded his head once before turning away and staring off towards the woods. Everything in his body language told Jisun that he wasn't willing to have a conversation. That didn't stop her from joining him though and saying what was on her mind as she sat down.
"I was frustrated when I first got here too." she told him. "They wouldn't tell me anything. Just vague answers that would drive me crazy."
He narrowed his eyes a little but remained silent.
"With me, it was trust issues. But with you, they're scared you'll get hurt." She took a deep breath and let it out. "Zelo was the one that told me what the headaches meant and how bad they got. And when he did, he... He spilled a few tears." she informed him. She gave him an earnest look, silently pleading with him to believe her. "I know it's frustrating but they really are just trying to not hurt you."
He regarded her for a few seconds before slowing nodding. He let out a heavy sigh as he leaned his head back against the railing. "I figured as much it's just..." He glanced down at the book in his hand and ran his thumb over the cover.
She remembered back to the moment they had shared in his room. When he had clutched the dog tags in his hand tightly in frustration and confessed his feeling about his memory loss to her. "You just want something. Anything." she finished for him.
He quickly looked up at her as his mouth parted. Then before she could react, he leaned over and grabbed her hand. "Please." he begged. "Tell me something. Just one thing so I can stop feeling like I'm going crazy."
She in a breath and stared at him with wide eyes. Her heart fluttered in her chest and time stood still for the second time this morning. His gaze made her feel weak and caused her heart to ache. "The strawberry jam." she quietly uttered.
He furrowed his eyebrows and titled his head. "The what?"
"The jam you were looking at earlier." she elaborated. "You ate it at my house. In fact..." She swallowed thickly and her lips. "You said you could eat it every day."
He chewed on his bottom lip. "It's made out of strawberries?"
She smiled a little. "I am the strawberry girl after all."
That brought a little chuckle from him. "Yeah." he agreed. Then he squeezed her hand. "Thank you" he sincerely said.
Jisun felt her face burn a little. Not only from his gratitude but from the fact that he was still holding her hand. A habit that he had done when he was living with her.
"There's something else you should know." she told him and he eagerly leaned in closer. With a completely serious face, she said "Daehyun is an ."
His mouth dropped open as he stared at her in disbelief. Then he suddenly burst in to laughter and she joined in.
"Okay, okay." he said, smiling. "I'll remember that."
"You better." she stated and giggled. When he looked at her again, she held his gaze and her heart gave a little flutter. Last night she had thought something was missing when he looked at her and now she saw what it was. It was the warmth in his brown eyes that he had always had when he looked at her before. But now she was seeing it again.
He broke eye contact first as he glanced down and the smile on his face faltered. He let her hand go and pulled his own hand back. She blushed again as she watched him give his hand a curious look. Then he turned his head to stare off at the woods, confusion etched on his face. She opened to say something but nothing came out. She wasn't sure what she should say. He spared her jumbled thoughts from coming up with something though by breaking the silence first.
"They're back." he commented and stood up.
She glanced over at the woods as well. Daehyun and Zelo emerged from between the trees, each carrying a box.
"We got what we could." Zelo said as they approached them. "The place was torn apart."
Yongguk and Jisun moved away from the stairs so they could step up them. Then she hurried to the back door and opened it for them.
"We're back!" Zelo loudly called out as he set the box on the counter. Daehyun placed his box on the counter as well next to it.
Moments later, Youngjae ran into the kitchen. "Did you grab the bottles too?" he questioned as he went to look in to the boxes.
"What we found in her hidden stash." Daehyun answered. "Some of the equipment was smashed though."
Youngjae pulled a beaker out and eyed the chip on the rim. "I see." he set it down and sighed while running his hand through his hair. "I'll do what I can. Let's set up on the table."

Later that evening, everyone with the exception of one person gathered around the dining table for dinner. It was an interesting dinner too with having to find space between all the lab equipment.
"This is a bit annoying." Himchan mumbled as he reached through some tubes for a second helping of potatoes.
"Not like there's anywhere else I can set up." Youngjae countered from where he sat. He stuffed his mouth full before scribbling on the piece of paper next to him. All around his plate, and on most of his side of the table, were his notes that he barely glanced up from.
"Just how much medicine do I have to take?" Yongguk suddenly asked.
Jisun glanced to the side where Yongguk was sitting next to her.
Youngjae swallowed and his lips. "Uh..." he uttered as he surveyed a few papers around him. "That depends on you I guess. How much you start remembering."
"Would remember more if you'd just tell me." the oldest muttered under his breath as he poked at his food.
It was quiet enough that no on heard except for Jisun and she understood his frustration. If she herself wasn't so scared of him having a sudden headache, she probably would have already spilled everything.
Hiding a sigh, she poked at her own food. She hardly ate during the day but her appetite hadn't come back. And she was sure it was from all the stress.
At that moment, the only missing person entered the room. Daehyun had a small glare on his face as he scratched his head, messing up his bed hair even more. "Why the hell didn't anyone wake me for dinner?"
"Guess next time I tell you to rest, you'll listen." Himchan stated with an indifferent shrug.
Daehyun directed his glare on to the older guy before grumbling to himself. He stalked around the table to the empty chair but didn't sit down. There wasn't any room on that part of the table. "What the hell Youngjae?!"
"Fine. Next time I'll set up on your bed." the younger said without looking up from his work.
Jongup smiled over at Jisun. "He's always like this when he doesn't eat."
"Shut up!"
Jongup didn't seem bothered at all buy Daehyun's outburst as he kept eating with a smile on his face.
"I guess it's true then." Yongguk piped up, causing all eyes to look at him while he looked at Daehyun. "You really are an ."
Daehyun's face fell in disbelief and a split second later, the room was filled with the sounds of loud laughter. Jisun herself nearly choked on her food as she hurriedly swallowed before laughing as well.
Glancing around, Daehyun's face turned a light shade of pink. "Shut up." he muttered angrily as he scooted the chair over and plopped down. He pulled an empty plate towards him and glanced around the table. "How the hell are you suppose to pass the food?!"
"Oh shut up ." Himchan cheekily said as he grabbed a dinner roll and threw it across the room. It smacked Daehyun in the head before he could attempt to catch it, bringing another round of laughter.
"Don't waste food!" Daehyun shouted and picked the roll up from the floor. Then he promptly brought his arm back and threw it.
Himchan leaned away in time and it safely sailed past his head to hit the wall behind him. Then the older boy stuck his tongue out. "Your aim is crap. Maybe you should go sleep more."
Daehyun glowered even more as he scolded his hyung about throwing food. Then yelling even more when Himchan got out of his chair to retrieve the roll from the floor and threw it at him once more.
Jisun watched with amusement, laughing so hard tears formed in the corners of her eyes. She glanced over to look at Yongguk. He wasn't laughing as much but he did have a soft smile on his face. He turned and met her gaze for a few seconds before looking down at his food.
"What?" she quietly asked, Daehyun's loud voice drowning her out.
Yongguk glanced around before shyly smiling at her. "I... I always thought Suyun's house was too quiet. Now I know why."
A flutter in her chest to reached to her stomach and she couldn't hid the warm smile that spread on her face. Especially when his shy smile grew and to match hers.