Chapter 37

Storm Rising

Jisun stumbled a little when they suddenly changed directions. She glanced in the direction they had been going but faithfully followed Daehyun. He glanced at her and seemed to have read her mind. "I took us the wrong way to throw her off in case she watched us leave. That way the others would have a hard time following us." he informed her.
It was hard enough to grasp the thought of her friend being with the bad guys so that thought never crossed her mind. That Yoonjung would go even further and help capture them. Tears welled up and she rapidly blinked her eyes, forcing herself to not cry. She cried enough today.
"I.."
"I'm sorry." Daehyun suddenly blurted out, interrupting her. "About your friend."
She stared at him in surprise for a bit before shaking her head. "No. I'm sorry. I never thought... I shouldn't..." She trailed off, unable to bring herself to say the words out loud. Then she mumbled, "But thank you. For not..."
There was a moment of silence and then Daehyun said, "What she said is true. We are military." he told her. "Only the military units are allowed to go to newly discovered worlds."
"But you're here to save your world, not destroy ours." Jisun stated. "So she's still wrong."
When he didn't say anything, she glanced over at him. He didn't meet her gaze but kept looking straight ahead. While also wincing. She looked down and noticed he was limping.
"Here." she offered and let go of his hand. She went to put his arm across her shoulders but her pulled away.
"I'm fine." he declared and instead tried to put her right arm around his shoulders.
She pulled her arm away. "You're limping." she argued and grabbed his arm again.
He twisted his arm around and then he was suddenly holding her arm. "It's nothing."
"No it isn't." she retorted. She reached for him again but he moved his arm before she could grab it.
He came to a stop and whiled around to face her. "Stop it." he growled while glaring at her.
She shrunk back under his angry gaze and swallowed. Then he turned back around and continued limping. She hesitated for a second before quickly following him. "." she mumbled under her breath.
"Human."
She jumped a little, startled, and quickly looked at the male. Then she rolled her eyes and looked away. As she walked, she noticed her own leg wasn't hurting as much anymore and thanked the pain pills Yoonjung had given her for that.
Suddenly a loud booming noise made her shriek as she jumped and squeezed her eyes shut. She crossed her right arm over her body, shielding herself.
"It's okay. It's just thunder." Daehyun said, his voice soft.
She slowly opened her eyes and looked around. Her heart raced in her chest and she took in several deep breaths. Then she glanced up at the sky and saw the dark clouds moving in.
"Storm's coming." he commented, looking up as well.
"Will we make it to the cave before it rains?" she asked.
He pursed his lips together before shaking his head. "Probably not." he replied. He lowered his head and looked thoughtfully at her.
She stared back at him for a few moments until the silence made her feel awkward. "What?"
He his lips. "How about we try to make it?" He slowly stepped closer to her and raised his left arm. He put it around her neck, being extra careful of her shoulder, and leaned a little on her.
Her eyes widened a little in surprise but she pressed her lips together and remained quiet. They started walking again and she noticed him putting some of his weight on her. Not much but it was still something.
"Is this the fastest you can go?" he suddenly asked.
"What??" she questioned.
"You're so slow." he grumbled.
She picked up the pace a little and he kept up with her. "You're the one slowing us down." she muttered.
"Your leg is injured too." he fired back.
She scoffed. "I have the magic of pain pills."
He didn't reply for a bit. Then he mumbled, "Cheater."
She quickly bit down on her bottom lip to stop herself from giggling.
"If your leg starts hurting though, we switch and you lean on me." he firmly declared.
"Okay." she answered, giving in since he gave in too.

The sky kept growing darker and darker as the clouds blanketed over the tree tops. Thunder continuously groaned all around them as they kept making their way through the forest. Jisun's feet ached from so much walking and the pain in her leg had long came back. She never said anything though because of how Daehyun had put more and more of his weight on her as they walked. Plus he was breathing heavily and looked so pale.
"Are we almost there?" she breathlessly asked.
He glanced up and squinted at the sky. "Yeah." he replied, out of breath as well.
Another slap of thunder roared above them and suddenly she felt raindrops hitting them. It was only a few at first but then it turned in to a large downpour. It didn't take long before their clothes were soaked through.
A small whine suddenly escaped Daehyun as he stumbled. Jisun winced as she braced her hurt leg and helped keep him on his feet. "Come on. Almost there." she encouraged, ignoring the pain.
They went a few more feet before his body sagged. She tried keeping a hold of him but they both ended up tumbling to the ground. Jisun cried out when she landed on her knees while Daehyun remained silent.
Whimpering, she shifted which made him roll on to his back. She sat up peered down at him. He had his eyes closed. "Daehyun?" she called out. When he didn't respond, she felt her heart sink in to her stomach. "Not again." she worriedly thought.
She tried shaking his shoulder and lightly smacking his cheek but neither worked. She glanced around the woods, trying to figure out what to do. Then she looked in the direction they were heading. He said they were almost there...
She looked at him one more time and wiped his wet face with her hand. "Hope you're right." she whispered. Then she got to her feet. She felt adrenaline coursing through her as she took off running, numbing the pain her body was in. She was single mindedly focused on getting help.
Her foot suddenly hit something and she cried out as she tumbled to the ground. A second later, she staggered back to her feet. Tears welled up in her eyes as she stared straight ahead and took off again.
She saw something strange in the distance and slowed her pace a little. She saw a rocky outcropping and changed her direction to go around it. Then she saw a person and she skidded to a halt. Her heart skipped a beat in fear until her brain registered who the person was.
"Jisun." Himchan uttered.
She gasped and felt tears leak from her eyes to mingle with the rain drops. She stumbled forward just as she saw other people appear from out of the rocks. Yongguk quickly brushed past Himchan and hurried to her. As soon as he reached her, he wrapped his arms around her in a hug. She felt the last of her strength fade away as relief flooded her.
"Daehyun." she whined.
"What?" Yongguk asked as he pulled away just enough to look down at her.
"Daehyun." she repeated before sobbing. She twisted around in his arms and pointed the way she came.
"Jongup." Himchan said as he took off running and the younger male instantly followed him.
She watched as they dashed in to the woods and hoped they would find him. Then she felt Yongguk urging her. She let him lead her to the rocks where she found the cave opening she didn't notice before. She ducked inside and found Youngjae by the entrance.
"Are you okay noona?" he worriedly asked as he surveyed her.
She could only manage a nod though as she continued crying. Yongguk gently placed his hands on her arms and steered her to the back of the cave. There was light coming from an electric lantern and several blankets laid out. Yongguk sat down and carefully pulled her down. She sat on his lap and he draped a blanket over her. Then he wrapped his arms around her once more and held her tightly.
"It's okay." he quietly whispered soothingly. "You're safe now."
She pressed her face in to his chest and clutched his shirt with her right hand as she let herself break down.

After a while, Jisun heard a noise and shifted in Yongguk's lap. She watched as Himchan and Jongup carried Daehyun to the back of the cave. He was still unconscious.
"Here." Youngjae instructed and had them lay him on one of the blankets. Then Youngjae knelt down and brought the lantern closer. As he began to inspect the older boy, Daehyun suddenly jerked awake and grabbed his arms.
"It's okay!" Youngjae hurriedly assured. "It's me. You're at the cave."
Daehyun blinked at him for a moment before letting Youngjae go. He took a deep breath and slowly let it out. Then he struggled to sit up as he blurted, "Jisun!"
Youngjae quickly put his hands on Daehyun to stop him from getting up. "Stop! She's.."
Jisun swiftly stood up, letting the blanket fall off her shoulders, and took a step closer. "I'm here!"
Daehyun's head whipped to the side and he looked at her. Then he settled back and closed his eyes, seemingly relieved.
Continuing his inspection, Youngjae grabbed Daehyun's shirt but his hands were smacked away. "I'm fine." Daehyun insisted as he clutched his shirt.
Himchan narrowed his eyes. "Daehyun." he chided.
Daehyun stubbornly held his shirt down for a moment before letting his hands fall away. Then he pressed his lips together and swallowed.
Youngjae raised an eyebrow at both Himchan and Daehyun before reaching for Daehyun's shirt again. He grabbed the hem and carefully pulled it up. Then his eyes widened as he gasped.
Jisun's mouth dropped open in shock. Covering Daehyun's skin was a massive bruise. It stretched up his entire side and partly over his stomach.
Youngjae stood and went over to Himchan. "With him passing out, I'm sure his body is in shock." Youngjae told him. "And that's probably from that bruise. I bet he has internal bleeding."
Himchan worriedly furrowed his eyebrows. "We need to get him to the ship."
"We have to leave now." Daehyun suddenly piped in. He started to sit up but Jongup quickly pushed him back down.
"We should rest for a little bit." Himchan stated as he eyed Jisun. "You two had.."
"It was Zelo." Daehyun declared.
Everyone grew silent and looked at him curiously. Jisun however looked down and brought a hand up to her chest, feeling the tags under her shirt.
"They did something to him. Reprogrammed him somehow." Daehyun continued. "He was the one who took Jisun and did that to her."
At that, everyone directed their gazes to her. She glanced around at their shocked faces and nervously her lips. Then she remembered what Daehyun had said earlier about the tags. She reached up and grabbed both chains. She slipped them over her neck before holding them out to Himchan.
The pink haired man took the tags and looked at the names. "Suyun and Zelo." he sadly whispered.
"And it must have been Zelo that told them about the house." Daehyun paused and grimaced before gasping for air. "When they didn't catch you guys, he would have told them about all our hideouts. It's only a matter of time before they show up here."
That realization made Jisun's body go cold. Then she felt her heart speed up as her breathing grew heavier. Any minute now, the bad guys could show up and...
A hand touched her back and she instantly jumped. She turned as she brought her right arm up to shield her body. Yongguk quickly pulled his hand back and looked away. She kept staring at him but he wouldn't meet her gaze.
"They haven't shown up yet and I don't think they will with the storm." Himchan reasoned. "We'll leave when the storm stops."
She tore her gaze away from Yongguk to look at Himchan. He was looking at her but she couldn't read the expression in his eyes. Then he stepped closer and brought the tags up. He put both chains back around her neck.
"They trusted you with them." he quietly told her. "So I will too." Then he turned and walked away towards the front of the cave.
She watched him leave, feeling so guilty and sad. She reached up to touch the cool metal with her fingertips.
"Noona." came a soft voice. She glanced up and saw Youngjae by her. He gently touched her arm. "Come on. You need to rest." he said.
She mindlessly nodded and let him lead her to a blanket spread out by Daehyun. When she sat down, Youngjae carefully reached for her left hand. She pulled back from him and swallowed thickly. Then she went on to tell him about the first time Daehyun passed out and how she took him to Yoonjung's apartment. And what happened there.
She expected a little bit of anger but Youngjae merely nodded and softly smiled at her. Then he urged her to rest before standing up and walking towards Himchan.
As she laid down, she didn't feel as if she could rest at all. But as she forced her body to relax, everything caught up with her and she quickly fell asleep.