Chapter 29

Storm Rising

Jisun didn't know how long they stayed sitting on the floor in the kitchen. Each second that ticked by felt like an hour. Her mind drifted aimlessly as she just held on to Yongguk and rocked him. It wasn't until she slowly became aware of how relaxed he was that she ceased her rocking. He wasn't holding on to her as tightly and he was breathing evenly.
"Yongguk?" she quietly uttered.
She felt him suddenly tense as his fingers gripped her shirt. Then he pulled back and leaned against the island counter. She tried to look him in the eye but he kept his head turned away, avoiding her gaze.
Himchan scooted closer and grabbed Yongguk's head. He checked the older male's nose and then looked inside both ears before releasing him. "No blood." Himchan said with great relief as he sat back.
Jisun let out a breath of air in relief as well. It didn't help quell the guilt in her stomach. She glanced around, seeing how relieved everyone was now compared to the panic and worry they were showing before. "I.."
"I overheard Suyun on the phone." Yongguk stated, cutting her off. "She said strawberries were a trigger so I was going to eat some anyways." He lifted his head and looked over towards Daehyun. "It doesn't matter what Jisun had told me so don't blame her. I already decided before then to try it."
She blinked at him in surprise before slowing turning to look at Daehyun. His glare was gone but his jaw was still tightly clenched as he stared at the floor.
"That wasn't very smart on your part." commented Himchan with a disapproving frown.
Yongguk whipped his head around to glare at the pink haired man. "It was the only way to get some ing answers!" he snapped.
Himchan's eyebrows raised up in surprise as his mouth dropped open a little.
"So how was it?" Jongup asked.
Yongguk turned his head to look at him with his eyes still narrowed in to a glare until he saw Jongup's smile. Then his face softened in to a look of confusion and surprise. "What?"
"The jam." Jongup elaborated with a bright smile. "How was it?"
"Uh... I..." stuttered Yongguk. "It... was good." His gaze flickered to Jisun for a brief moment before he looked away again. "Really good."
"Yeah it is." Jongup agreed with a little chuckle. He glanced towards the doorway that led to the dining room before standing up. "And while Zelo is occupied..." He quickly stepped over Jisun and Yongguk. He grabbed the jar of jam and pulled a clean spoon out of the drawer. Next he took a slice of bread and began to spoon the strawberry jam on it while humming happily.
Jisun stared him incredulously until she heard a light scoff. She looked over at Himchan to see him smiling and quietly chuckling. Then she heard more quiet laughter and turned to find it coming from Yongguk. She watched as he leaned his head back and closed his eyes. A small, soft smile graced his face. He looked so handsome that she felt her heart skip a beat. Then her face heated up as she blushed for having that kind of thought.
Suddenly Youngjae entered the kitchen and as everyone looked at him, the smiles faded from their faces. He nervously swallowed before nodding his head. "Okay."
There was a tense moment where no one spoke or moved. Then Yongguk stood up from the floor and regarded the younger guy with a serious expression. "It's time for my medicine."

One by one, everyone else stood and then filed into the dining room. Zelo was sitting at the table with the laptop plugged in to his neck with a somber look on his face. He acknowledged the arrivals with a flicker of his eyes before going back to staring at the laptop screen.
Yongguk followed Youngjae to the end of the table and sat down in one of the chairs. Youngjae picked up the syringe but hesitated. His eyes scanned the chemistry equipment spread out on the table as he muttered to himself. Then he paused as he realized everyone was staring at him.
"Uh... I just..." He let out a frustrated sigh."Suyun-noona was better at this."
"You followed the formula correctly hyung." Zelo piped up without looking away from the laptop.
Youngjae pressed his lips together and took a deep breath through his nose. He finally approached Yongguk and set the syringe down on the table. Then he reached for a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol. As he soaked the cotton ball, it was more than obvious how much his hands were shaking.
Yongguk suddenly reached out and grabbed Youngjae's hand. He took the cotton ball and wiped the spot on his arm himself. "If anyone here can do it, you can Youngjae." he said. Then he laid his arm on the table and looked at the younger male expectedly.
Jisun felt the hair on the back of her neck stand up. He had said those words so sincerely and confidently that she couldn't help but read more in to them. She stole a glance at Himchan and saw that he too was looking suspiciously at Yongguk. As if he had the same thought she had. Then she turned her attention back to the scene before her.
Youngjae's face still held a slight pink tinge as he blushed and picked up the syringe. Another deep breath and he brought the needle to Yongguk's arm, only to have Yongguk grab his hand again.
"Wait." Yongguk blurted. "Last time, I didn't make it from Suyun's room to my room before I passed out." He glanced downwards before looking at Youngjae again. "And the floor doesn't look comfortable."
Youngjae blinked at him for a few moments before shaking his head and a nervous chuckle escaped him. "Yeah. You should probably lay down for this."
"In bed." Himchan added.
Yongguk turned to look at him and nodded. Then he stood up and lead the way upstairs as everyone followed.
As everyone entered the bedroom, Jisun slowed and stood back. She watched as Yongguk got comfortable on the bed before Youngjae sat down on the edge. Seeing everyone crowd and fuss around Yongguk, she suddenly felt like an outsider. And guilt still ate at her. No matter what Yongguk had said in the kitchen, she still blamed herself for his headache. Just cause she had to tell him that he liked strawberry jam.
Swallowing, she turned to leave but a hand grabbed her. She jumped a little and turned back around. Himchan squeezed her arm a little and then dragged her forward. He lead her past Youngjae to the head of the bed and she mindlessly followed.
Youngjae glanced up at her before nodding at Himchan. "Here we go." Then he pushed the needle through Yongguk's skin and emptied the syringe in to his vein.
Jisun lifted her gaze and looked away. She stared at the wall and pressed her lips in to a thin line. It wasn't until she was aware of the others turning to leave that she finally moved, turning to leave as well. Then she inhaled sharply when her arm was grabbed again and she quickly looked down.
"Don't leave." Yongguk quietly pleaded with her. Then his eyes widened and he quickly let her go before looking away, seemingly startled.
She blinked at him in confusion at the sudden changes in his behavior. Then she felt a hand squeeze her shoulder and she turned her head.
"Stay with him." Himchan quietly whispered to her. "Please." Then he let her go and turned away.
She glanced around at the others who were all watching her. Daehyun was the first to break away as he stalked out of the room. Everyone followed soon after, leaving her alone with Yongguk.
As she looked back to the man on the bed, she felt her jaw quiver before she clenched it shut. She sat down on the bed and Yongguk turned his head to look at her.
"I won't leave you." she told him, keeping her voice as steady as she could. Then she reached for his hand and held it. Instantly she felt his body stiffen for a moment before he relaxed and intertwined his fingers with hers.
"Thank you." he breathlessly said as the corner of his mouth tugged in to a tiny smile.
Jisun felt her heart flutter in her chest as her own lips formed a small smile. It faded away though as he closed his eyes. She watched as his breathing slowed more and more. His chest rising and falling evenly. Then his hand relaxed so it wasn't holding her hand as tightly.
Moving slowly so she didn't disturb him, she unlaced their fingers and set his hand on the bed. She stood up and stared down at him, hesitant to leave. She leaned down and brought her hand up. She brushed her fingers over his forehead before cupping his face with her hand. Then her body shook and she pulled away. She shuffled to the door, feeling her chest constricting and making it hard for her to breathe.

In the hallway, Jisun came to an abrupt stop. Daehyun was sitting on the floor next to the door with his back against the wall. His knees were brought up and his folded arms rested on them.
"Is he sleeping?" he asked without looking up at her.
She took a deep breath, trying to compose herself, and nodded. "Y-yes." She swallowed thickly. "I.."
"Don't." he hissed, causing her to flinch. "Don't give me some half-assed apology that you don't mean."
Her eyes widened. "I... I just..." she stammered, her voice cracking.
"You knew what would happen and you told him a memory anyways." he said in low tone. "So don't bother pretending you ing care about him when you don't."
Her jaw shook as she closed . If there was one constant through all of this, it was that she cared about Yongguk. Cared about him so much that it hurt. "Don't say that to me." she snapped.
Daehyun suddenly stood and finally faced her. His harsh glare was full of anger. "Did you enjoy it?" he snarled. "Seeing him in pain?"
"Of course not!" she exclaimed in shock.
"Cause you caused it!" he proclaimed, his voice growing louder. "He was in pain and hurting and there was nothing I.." He cut himself off as he turned his back to her. She held her breath as she watched his hand clench in to tight fists before he let out his own breath. When he turned back around, he was still glaring angrily at her but his eyes were glistening. "I can't do anything about the headaches but I can do something about their source." he declared in a threatening tone. He took a step closer and she tensed. "If you hurt him again, I'll kill you." Then he moved away and entered the bedroom.
Jisun stood frozen where she stood, his words slowly processing in her mind. Then she stiffly turned and peered in to the room. Daehyun settled on Himchan's bed, facing Yongguk and watching him intently.
A stabbing pain in her chest tore her away. She stumbled down the stairs to the living room and then to the kitchen. She went to the back door and opened it before stepping outside. She closed the door and her feet carried her across the porch to the steps. As she gasped for air, she felt herself finally shatter. She fell down as a sob tore from . The tears quickly spilled from her eyes as she curled, hugging her legs to her.
She heard footsteps behind her and she instantly sat up. She wiped at her face but the tears refused to stop. "I'm sorry." she croaked. "I'm sorry. I just... He begged me and I... I just couldn't..." She gasped for air, feeling her chest hurt as she began to hyperventilate. The person sat behind her and then their arms wrapped around her shoulders.
"It's okay noona." Jongup stated without a hint of malice in his voice. "I would have told him something too."
Another painful sob and she ceased trying to force the tears to stop. Jongup held tightly on to her as she let everything pour out.