Chapter 33

Storm Rising

M Warning: This chapter contains some 'extreme violence' that not everyone will be comfortable with. It's broken up in to 3 parts. Skip the 2nd/middle part if you don't want to read it.

 

Yongguk slowed his pace to keep in match with Himchan. The sun had set and the forest was rapidly getting dark. He turned to briefly look behind them but didn't see anyone. They must have managed to lose their pursuers thankfully.
"Where are we going?" he asked again.
"There's several spots we've set up as hideouts if the house was ever discovered." Himchan explained. "We're going to one of the caves we sent up."
He immediately stopped walking and stared at the pink haired man. "Cave??" "I had the cave nightmare again." Those were the words in his little book. And that dream he had right before the attack at Suyun's house. The darkness and the fear he had felt.
Himchan stopped walking and eyed him curiously. "Do you... Do you remember what happened?"
"What?" Yongguk replied, not completely understanding the question.
Himchan pressed his lips together before shaking his head. "Nevermind. It's some place safe." Then he smiled a little. "I'm sure Youngjae is already there and waiting for us."
"Uh... yeah." he agreed with a tiny smile of his own.
They started moving once more, walking through the trees. Yongguk listened intently but the only noises he heard were their own footsteps and a few birds above them.
After a few minutes, they reached a rocky outcropping where the mountain suddenly got steeper. There was a small opening just big enough for one person to go through. Himchan went first and then Yongguk followed behind, ducking to avoid hitting his head.
The cave was rather dark save for some light coming from the back. He carefully made his way towards the back and found Youngjae sitting on a blanket. The light was coming from a small electric lantern beside him.
"I have good news and bad news." Youngjae informed them. "I managed to get in radio contact with Daehyun and Jongup. I told them what happened and that we're at the cave."
"That's good." Himchan said. Then he sighed. "What's the bad news?"
Youngjae glanced at Yongguk before turning his attention back to Himchan. "While running, I kept trying to get ahold of Jisun and Zelo." he quietly said. "But..."
Yongguk felt his heart skip as he inhaled sharply. He turned and took a step when someone grabbed his arm.
"You're not leaving here." Himchan firmly said.
He yanked his arm free and turned to face the other male. "Something happened." he declared while glaring. "And if not, I can't let them get caught at the house."
"Hyung, I told them about it." Youngjae quickly said and got to his feet. "Daehyun said he'll go to her house and Jongup said he'll go to our house."
Yongguk felt his anger dying but he wasn't feeling any better. "I should be out there too."
"Except something happened to you earlier. When that guy attacked you." Himchan countered. Yongguk opened his mouth to protest but was cut off. "Don't lie to me. I know something happened." continued Himchan.
He let out a frustrated sigh. "It was..." He trailed off as he watched Himchan give him a pointed look and folded his arms. Then Yongguk sighed again. "I had another dizzy spell." he confessed. "Just something about the fight reminded me of Jisun but I don't know why."
"Do you..." Youngjae hesitantly said as he examined Yongguk.
"My head is fine." he insisted with a hint of annoyance in his voice.
Youngjae instantly blushed and looked away, making Yongguk feel guilty. He reached out and put a hand on the younger's shoulder. "I promise I'll say something if my head starts hurting." He turned to Himchan once more. "I'm fine."
Himchan chewed on his bottom lip for a bit before finally shaking his head. "No. We'll wait here to see what Daehyun and Jongup find."
"But..." Yongguk protested.
"There's no point in all of us running around without knowing anything." Himchan reasoned. "And there is safety in numbers." He turned to Youngjae. "Get a hold of both of them. They're only to scout and report back, not get involved."
"Alright." Youngjae said. He picked up the radio and his cell phone before hurrying out of the cave.
"I don't like this." Yongguk added in frustration.
Himchan shook his head and gave the oldest a worried look. "Neither do I."


Jisun's head whipped to the side and she fell on to the ground. She tasted blood in as she was grabbed and hauled back up to a sitting position. She closed her eyes and whimpered.
"Open your eyes."
She pressed her lips together as more tears rolled down her cheeks. Then she cried out in pain as her hair was harshly tugged.
"Look at me!"
She slowly opened her watery eyes to look at Zelo. He was staring at her intently, surveying her.
"I want you see me." he told her. "See that I'm the one doing this."
That statement made her feel sick. That he was using her feelings and attachment to him against her.
"Where are the tags?" he questioned for what seemed like the hundredth time.
She her dry lips, tasting the dirt and dust that coated them. The only noise that escaped her though was a small sob. "Z-zelo..."
The red haired boy frowned in disapproval. Then he suddenly swung out. His fist connected with the side of her head, causing her to fall to her side. She felt dizzy, the rock wall of the mine moving on its own, and a ringing noise sounded in her ear.
"You really are stupid, aren't you?" Zelo mocked as he stood.
Jisun tried to focus her blurry vision on him as he walked around her. Then she jerked when his foot connected with her stomach. She squeezed her eyes shut and clenched her jaw. She swallowed, trying to suppress the nausea filling her.
"If you would just tell me where the tags are, all this can stop." he continued before kicking her again.
She gritted her teeth and whined. She tried to picture Yongguk in her head, seeing his image smiling at her. The time he made strawberry jam and the kiss they shared. Cuddling with him in her bed. Then at the boys' house and him making her a sandwich. The hug on the porch.
She was broken out of her train of thoughts as her hair was yanked again. She scrambled to her knees as she was pulled upwards.
"Are you even listening to me?" Zelo questioned.
She swallowed as her jaw shook before she braced herself for the inevitable. There was a stinging pain on the left side of her face. Then another on her right side as he backhanded her. Her entire face throbbed.
Her hair was released and she slumped to the ground. She heard Zelo move around her and then her right arm was grabbed before he wrapped his own arm around it. She opened her eyes as she shifted to see what he was doing. Then she let out a horrifying scream.
She quickly sat up and tried to pull away. Zelo hugged her arm to him though as he sat there with his back to her. Forcing her to endure she pain as he slowly pushed the sharp point of his knife under the nail of her thumb.
"Stop! Stop!!" she screamed and begged. She kicked her legs at him, trying to get him to stop but it didn't deter him. She let out another scream and squeezed her eyes tightly shut. Finally it ended and she fell backwards as he let her go.
He spun around to face her and raised an eyebrow. "Are you going to tell me now?" he asked.
"Stop, stop." she cried, hugging her hands to her chest. "Please stop."
Zelo sighed and ran his free hand through his hair. "Guess not." He got to his feet so he was crouching and grabbed her right hand again. She tried fighting him but it was futile. He was so much stronger and he managed to pin her hand to the floor with his foot. He grabbed her middle finger and brought the knife to it. He aligned the point under the nail and pushed.
Jisun screamed again and thrashed around. Then she swung her left arm up and it connected with Zelo's face. The boy jerked back and let her go as he brought up one hand to his cheek. She stared at him in surprise and when he moved his hand, she saw the red mark her nail had left.
"ing ." he growled as he glared at her. Then he quickly clenched his hand in to a fist and punched her in the face.
Everything got dizzy again as a heavy feeling settled in her head. It was like a fog filled her mind and every noise was far away.
"Put her in the cage. We need you."
She was dimly aware of footsteps leaving the small room as her head cleared a little. As she laid there, she let her mind wander. She thought of Yongguk once more, drawing on him for strength. And the other boys as well. Which only made her think about Zelo. How guilty he looked when he ran in to her on his skateboard and the excitement he showed when he ate the strawberry ice cream.
She didn't realize there was anyone with her until someone grabbed her left arm. She was tugged upwards and she opened her eyes to see Zelo kneeling beside her. He was holding a bottle and he tipped it. The liquid poured out over her injured hand and it suddenly felt like it was on fire. She screamed again and tried to pull her hand back but his grip on her arm only tightened. Then he set the bottle aside.
"It's only alcohol. So it doesn't get infected too badly." he informed her. Then he grabbed some gauze and began to wrap her hand.
"Wha..." She trailed off as seized. She stared at him in disbelief as he bandaged the wound he had caused by stabbing her hand.
"So you keep your strength up." he explained with a little pout. "It's not fun when you're silently laying there. Not paying attention and almost passing out. This way I can torture you more before you reach your breaking point."
The way he talked about torturing her, as if he was talking about something as mundane as the weather, caused a chill to go through her. This was definitely not the same boy who she met that first day.
When he was finished, he set the medical box aside and grabbed a key. He pulled her leg closer and inserted the key in to the lock. Then he paused for a moment and frowned before looking up at her. "Of course, if you try to run I have no problem stabbing you some more."
Another shiver traveled down her spine and she gave a brief nod of her head. This made him smile and he turned the key. The cuff opened, freeing her leg. Then he grabbed his knife and her arm. He stood and pulled her up with him.
She managed to get to her feet but instantly felt dizzy. She was sure it had something to do with the beating she had just endured. Even if she wanted to risk it, she didn't think she could run away and make it very far. She let him lead her out of the room and in to a mine shaft. She stumbled a bit at his quick pace but he didn't slow.
They reached an intersection and she was pulled in to another little room. There was some mining equipment stacked on the right side of the room. The rust and grime covering it told her that it had been down here for a long time. On the other side of the room were several cages that were crudely welded. There looked as if they were only tall enough for her to sit up in.
Zelo dragged her to one of the cages and pushed her. She fell to her hand and knees, instantly wincing at the pain that shot up her left arm. Then she felt herself get kicked in the .
"Go on." Zelo ordered impatiently.
She crawled forward and into the cage. When she reached the other side, she laid on her side and brought her legs up to make sure they weren't in the way. Zelo knelt down and closed the door. Then he fastened the padlock and gave it an experimental tug before standing up. He turned and left the room without giving her one last passing look.

Jisun waited until he was gone before she looked down at the cage floor. Fresh tears clouded her eyes as her chest ached. It was an ache that wasn't caused by the physical beating though. She let out a small sob of frustration. Then she raised one leg and kicked at the door of the cage. The lock rattled a little but the door remained shut.
"Don't."
She jumped and quickly looked over at the cage beside her. She hadn't noticed before but now she can see a person laying it in. They shifted a little until Jisun could see their face and then she inhaled sharply.
"Jisun?" Suyun weakly called out.
Jisun swallowed and scooted over so her body was pressed up against the side of the cage. The dim light barely illuminated Suyun's face but it was enough. She saw the wounds on the other girl as well. The bruises around her face and her blood stained lips that were cracked. And there was a small, circular burn on her cheek. As if someone had held a lit cigarette to her skin.
"You're alive." Jisun croaked, dry and sore from screaming.
Suyun stuck her hand through the bars of her cage and reached across the space. Jisun did the same, reaching out with her right hand. They clasped their hands together and Jisun could feel Suyun's hand shaking.
"Yongguk?" Suyun questioned.
Another pain stabbed through Jisun's chest. How she wished she could curl up in his arms right now. "He made it to the house." she told the other girl.
Suyun closed her eyes and let out a breath, obviously relieved. What Jisun didn't say was that they didn't have the medicine she made for him. That he had another headache and his only hope was to get him to the ship.
A small sob tore from as she began crying again. Everything was falling apart. She didn't know if Yongguk was still fine or if she would even see him again. See any of the boys again except for the monster wearing Zelo's skin.
"Shhhh." soothed Suyun and briefly squeezed Jisun's hand for a second. "If you make a lot of noise, it annoys them. They'll punish you. Just try to sleep. You'll need your strength."
Jisun weakly nodded she pressed her lips together, forcing herself to be silent. She looked at Suyun once more but the other girl's eyes were still closed and her lips were parted slightly. As if she had already fallen asleep.
Taking Suyun's advice, Jisun closed her eyes and thought of happy memories. Moments of her and Yongguk together. And hoping that she'll dream of them instead of reliving the nightmare she was currently in.