Chapter 32

Storm Rising

Yongguk sat on the steps to the front porch and stared off down the driveway. The sun was beginning to set, worrying his mood even more. Then he heard the front door open and someone joined  him outside.
"They should have ben back by now." Yongguk stated.
There was a moment of silence before Himchan finally said, "Neither of them are answering their phones."
Yongguk stood up and turned around to face him. "We have to go look for them. Something could have happened."
Himchan chewed on his bottom lip. "I'm going to go look for them. You're staying here with Youngjae."
He frowned. "I'm going with you." he determinedly said.
"No you're not." Himchan argued. "You can't be running around and suddenly get a headache."
"I'm fine!" he loudly exclaimed.
Himchan eyed him for a moment. "Are you really that worried about her?"
Instantly Yongguk felt his face flush. "I.. I'm worried about both of them." he stammered, not admitting to anything. Not wanting to admit that every time he looked at Jisun, he felt his heartbeat begin to race.
Himchan sighed. "I really wish you would talk to me. Like you used to."
"Like you used to." He wasn't sure if that was a slip or if Himchan meant to say it. It was enough to cause a wave of guilt to wash over him. There was a hazy memory he remembered but it was more like a feeling. Like he should tell the other male everything.
"I'm sure your tags are at her house and that they're probably still there. She doesn't get any cell phone reception there so that's why they're not answering." Himchan sighed again and ran a hand through his hair. "I'll drive over there." Then he turned and started to go back into the house.
"Was it you that forgot how to say something in this language?" Yongguk suddenly asked.
Himchan stopped and turned back to give him a curious look.
"I think it was you. Or it might have been Jongup." he continued. "But I remember that it was funny somehow. They way it was said." Then he watched as Himchan looked away. He felt himself crumbling a little. "Please tell me." he silently thought. "Tell me cause I'm suppose to be able to tell you things."
"It was me." Himchan finally said in a hushed whisper. "I'm the one that asked how to say 'hurricane'." A small smiled formed on his face as he looked up at Yongguk. "It was funny cause I asked how to say it by actually saying 'hurricane'." He looked away again, tilting his head to stare at the sky. "Youngjae then told me that I meant 'storm' cause there are no hurricanes here. Just thunderstorms."
Yongguk stared at him in disbelief as he processed the information. He could almost picture it in his head, the five of them laughing at the blushing male. He wasn't sure if it was real or if it was an image his mind just created. But it was something.
"I... I think I remember the time I lived with her the least." he said. "I don't know if it's cause I wasn't there long or what but..." He trailed off, feeling his heart beating faster. "But you have to find her."
Himchan turned his attention back to Yongguk before slowing nodding. "I will. I'm sure they're fine." Then he smiled again. "I bet Zelo is pilfering her strawberry jam stash."
Yongguk couldn't help but bark out a laugh at that. "Yeah. I bet."
"And she's feeding her rabbit." Himchan added, chuckling.
"Her... her what?" Yongguk asked, confused.
A sudden noise made them both look at the front door. Youngjae stood there, his eyes wide with panic. "Get in the house." he ordered.
The urgency in his voice caused Yongguk to not question the younger boy and he quickly followed Himchan in to the house. Then Youngjae hurriedly slammed the door and locked it.
"Wha..." Yongguk didn't finish his question as he heard an eerily familiar beeping noise.
"." Himchan cursed. "How many?"
"Too many." Youngjae weakly said as he pressed his lips together.
Yongguk glanced between them, remembering the attack at Suyun's house. Then Himchan turned to him and said, "Come on."
Without hesitating, Yongguk followed the other guy as he ran up the stairs. They entered the first bedroom and he watched as Himchan knelt down in front of his bed. Himchan reached under it and pulled out a black case. He flipped the top open to reveal several knives of various lengths and a couple of belts.
"These are yours." Himchan informed him. "We're gonna have to make a run for it. I hope you remember how to fight."
Yongguk knelt down and took one of the knives. He pulled it out of its sheath and examined it. "No I don't but..." He furrowed his eyebrows as a distant feeling entered the back of his mind. "I... I think my body does."
Himchan raised an eyebrow. "I have no idea what that means."
Yongguk turned his head to smirk at the confused man. "Now you know how I feel." Then he quickly took the belts and wrapped them around his waist.
Himchan moved over to his bed and slid out a similar case from underneath it. He opened it and grabbed his own belts.
Once they were armed, they hurried out of the room and ran in to Youngjae. The younger guy had his belts on as well and a backpack on his back.
"We're running Youngjae." Himchan chided. "Travel light."
"It's the medicine." Youngjae explained and indicated his head towards Yongguk. "Fever medicine and some sedatives."
Another thing that caused him to feel guilty as Yongguk pressed his lips together. It shouldn't weigh enough to really slow Youngjae down but it still wasn't right. "I'll carry it." he offered.
Youngjae blinked at him in surprise but then shook his head. "It's okay hyung. I'm more of a runner than a fighter anyways."
Those words set off another odd feeling in the back of his head. He was suddenly felt with an urge to argue about what the other said but he didn't know what to say.
"Come on. We have to go." Himchan said while urging them towards the stairs.
Yongguk broke off his thoughts and quickly went downstairs with them. He followed them through the house to the back door and waited while Himchan peered through the window.
"Run as fast as you can for the trees and don't stop." Himchan instructed.
"Where are we going?" questioned Yongguk.
"No time. Just stay with us." ordered Himchan. "1... 2... 3!" The door suddenly flew open and Himchan darted out.
Yongguk hesitated for a split second before quickly following. He ran as fast as he could behind the other male as they crossed the yard. Then he heard distant yells that were quickly followed by a sound that made his heart sink. He ducked his head, silently hoping the bullets would harmlessly fly past him.
They made it to the woods and he felt a small amount of relief. They could use the trees as cover but at the same time, he had to slow down to avoid twisting his ankle as they ran through the brush. Which made it easy for the youngest to overtake them. Yongguk watched as Youngjae easily vaulted over a fallen tree before out running the two oldest.
He heard a noise to his left and he managed to dodge to the side just as a person lunged at him from their hiding spot. Yongguk grabbed their arms and twisted while pushing them, using their own momentum against them. The man stumbled before rolling on to the ground. He quickly got back to his feet though and pulled a knife out of his boot. Then he lunged again while swinging the knife.
Yongguk ducked under the man's arm. Then he kicked out his leg while pushing him away. The guy tripped over Yongguk's leg and fell face down on to the dirt. Before the guy could get up again, Yongguk stepped on the hand holding the knife. Then in one fluid motion, Yongguk pulled out one of his knives and knelt down. He grabbed the guy's hair, yanking his head back, and slit his throat.
As Yongguk stood, a sudden wave of dizziness slammed him. He looked down at his foot that was stepping on the man's hand. Then stumbled backwards until he was leaning against a tree. He squeezed his eyes shut as a blurry image formed in his mind. "Jisun." he whispered and brought one hand up to cover his face.
"Are you hurt?"
He opened his eyes and saw Himchan standing beside him. He shook his head, not trusting his voice. Then he watched as Himchan's eyes narrowed suspiciously but Himchan didn't say anything. Instead, he grabbed Yongguk's arm and pulled him along. Yongguk set off once more, quickly jogging alongside the other male and trying to keep his mind from fixating on the blurry image.


Jisun groaned as she shifted. She felt hard ground beneath her and a dull ache on the back of her head. She groaned again as she touched her head before opening her eyes. It was dim as she glanced around the rock walls, the only light coming from some electric lights strung along the ceiling.
"Noona?"
She inhaled sharply and sat up. She ignored the dizzy feeling as her gaze landed on the boy beside her. "Zelo." she uttered. "Are you okay?"
"Yeah." he replied despite the worried expression on his face.
"What happened?" she questioned and glanced around again. "Where are we?"
"I... I don't know." he told her. "I remember us talking and then the rest is blank."
She pressed her lips together and looked down. Besides her head, she didn't appear to be injured anywhere else. Then she noticed the chain attached to her ankle. The other end was attached to a cement block that was embedded in to the ground. She reached down and tried to pry the cuff loose. When it didn't yield, she grabbed the chain and tugged.
"Don't noona!" Zelo exclaimed and grabbed her hands. "You might hurt yourself. And I already tried that."
She huffed and let the chain go. She surveyed the ground to see if she could find a rock to beat the chain with but there was nothing. Then she took better notice of just where they were. "Is this..."
"The same place." Zelo quietly finished for her. "The abandoned mine where Yongguk, Himchan, and I were held."
Her eyes widened as panic began to take over. The humans who had taken and experimented on the boys now had them captive.
"It's okay noona." assured Zelo as he took her hand in to his. "Even though you... I... I mean... I won't let them hurt you." Then he released her hand and turned away but not before she saw the hurt look in his eyes.
"Even though... what?" she timidly asked.
"It's nothing." he said without looking at her.
She swallowed and her lips. "Tell me."
He pressed his lips together before sighing. Then he turned to look at her again. "Even though you don't trust me, I'll protect you no matter what."
It felt like someone smacked her and dropped open. "What?? Why.."
"Cause you won't tell me where Yongguk's tags are." he explained as his gaze moved down and he pouted.
She blinked at him for a moment before letting out a heavy breath. "It's not that Zelo. I trust you with my life."
He quickly looked up. "Really?" he inquired with a twinkle of hope in his eyes.
"Of course." she insisted. She scooted closer and rubbed her hand reassuringly on his back. "It's just something... I needed for myself." She sighed. "And I can't tell you where they are. You'd never find.."
She cut herself off as Zelo suddenly shoved her off. She fell back and then gaped at him in shock as he stood up.
"I told you she wouldn't tell me." he loudly proclaimed.
She stared at him in confusion until the sound of footsteps made her tear her gaze away from him. She watched as several people wearing masks entered the room. Then her heart sunk in to her stomach.
"Z-zelo." she stuttered as fear seized her. She reached for him but he kicked her hand away. Then he took several steps back and stood with the crowd of people. It was only then that she realized that he wasn't chained to the ground. Only her.
"Don't bother." one guy said as he approached her. He indicated Zelo with a nod of his head. "Can you believe this freak is actually a robot?"
"Cyborg." Zelo corrected while pouting.
The man waved his hand dismissively. "Either way, he's still a walking computer." He crouched down so he was eye level with Jisun. "And it wasn't that hard to add a few viruses to reprogram him." The guy chuckled. "I'll admit I wasn't sure if it was even going to work. He was malfunctioning so bad by the time we were done with him."
Jisun felt her eyes watering as she glanced up Zelo. She remembered Daehyun saying how hard Youngjae worked to repair Zelo. Then she remembered back to this morning when Zelo refused to let Youngjae help him after the unexpected shutdown. How defensive and adamant the youngest had gotten. She quickly looked at the ground as she felt her body begin to shake.
"We know they found the ship. If you tell us where the tags are, you won't get hurt."
She pressed her lips together and swallowed. "No."
"What about Yongguk? As we speak, I have men at the house. It's only a matter of time before those freaks get dragged back here. You can make it easier for them."
She though back to the wounds on Yongguk when she found him. And the nightmare he had. "No." she repeated, her voice shaky and weak.
"Fine. Have it your way." The man stood and turned to Zelo. "Do whatever it takes to get her to talk."
"Okay." Zelo replied nonchalantly. Then the humans filed out of the room.
As Zelo walked towards her, she looked up at him. "Zelo." she begged as tears rolled down her cheeks.
His hand reached in to his pocket and he pulled out a metal handle. He pressed his thumb over it and then a blade flipped out.
She let out a strangled cry and backed away. She only made it a couple of feet before she felt the chain yank her to a stop. She leaned back, holding her breath as he moved closer.
He knelt down and smiled brightly at her. "It's okay noona. You can scream if you want to." Then his free hand held her left arm down.
She saw everything in slow motion. His arm bringing the knife above his head. Then him plunging it downwards. She felt an odd sensation as she looked at her left hand. And the blade that pierced right through her palm. Then she screamed.