Chapter 43

Storm Rising

Jisun spent so much time staring at her feet that she almost missed the change of light. When she realized she could see better, she quickly lifted her head. Off in the distance was the tunnel entrance with sunshine streaming through it. She gasped and felt her feet carry her faster. There was a tight squeeze on her hand though as Youngjae held her back. Every instinct in her body told her to run for the light but she was forced to stay where she was. She didn't fight him as she looked back down at her feet. She swallowed and pressed her lips together as she felt herself start to shake.
Once they got closer, Youngjae stopped them and stepped closer to her. "Wait here. I have to make sure it's safe first." he quietly told her.
She gave a small nod with her head and closed her eyes as she looked down. She felt him let go of her hand and then she was alone. Even with her eyes closed, she could still tell that there was light and it was if it was urging her forward. So she turned her back to it and faced the darkness instead. Her hand began to shake more than the rest of her, no longer having anything to hold.
A small noise made her jump and she hurriedly lifted her head as she opened her eyes. The rest of the boys were giving her worried looks as Jongup gently slipped Daehyun's arm off his shoulder. He made his way towards her and grabbed her hand. Then he took his other arm and wrapped it around her before pulling her closer.
She exhaled a breath she hadn't realized she was holding and then took a deep, shaky breath. She closed her eyes once more as she leaned her head on his shoulder.
"It's okay. It's almost over." he whispered soothingly and rubbed his hand on her back.
Her mind drifted as she listened to the drone of his voice comforting her. Then he stopped and she stiffened. He kept a hold of her hand as he stepped past her and lead her towards the entrance.
As soon as she was outside, she blinked her eyes rapidly and looked up. The blue sky was fading as the sun set. Not too much longer and it would be night time. Then she glanced around as she took several deep breaths. There didn't seem to be anyone else around but there were two vehicles parked a little ways from the mine. Youngjae was looking inside the car before he closed the driver door and hurried to the jeep. He opened its driver door and checked inside. When he emerged, he held up a set of keys to show everyone.
The group hurried over to him and the jeep. Jongup opened the back door for her and she climbed in. She slid over to the middle as the others talked quickly to each other in hushed tones. Then the hatch door on the back was opened. She turned her head to see them help Daehyun up. He pressed himself against the backseat as he stretched out the best he could and got comfortable. Then they laid Zelo's body down next to him. She quickly turned her head back around and stared out the front window.
A few moments later, Yongguk entered the vehicle to sit on her left side. Youngjae sat on the other side of her while Himchan got behind the steering wheel and Jongup sat in the passenger seat.
"Here." Yongguk said, getting her attention. She looked down to watch him secure her seat belt for her. When he was done, she lightly brushed her fingers over it.
She heard the motor start and then she was pushed back in her seat. The fast acceleration made her heart sink in to her stomach and she squeezed her eyes tightly shut. Then they turned and she could feel the tires slide a little as they briefly lost traction. Just like when she and Daehyun were in the truck.
Before she could stop it, images flooded her mind as she thought about everything. The horror she felt as the truck was rammed. Watching the cliff get closer as they slid towards it. Yoonjung helping them until she revealed her secret. Then seeing the life fade in Yoonjung's eyes. Her best friend she grew up with, dead, and her own hands covered in someone else's blood.
"Jisun, you need to calm down and breathe." Youngjae firmly said.
She opened her eyes and stared down at her lap. Her chest hurt as she desperately in air but she wasn't getting any oxygen. It felt like she couldn't breathe. And being in the jeep with people all around her wasn't helping. It was too small, too closed in. Like the cage she had been in. Suyun using her last moments to help her. To stop Zelo. Stop him from torturing her. Like how he, Yongguk, and Himchan had been tortured and experimented on. Zelo dead. Yongguk's head giving him so much pain. Daehyun coughing up blood. Youngjae and Jongup shot. All in that dark mine by people with no faces.
Yongguk put an arm around her and pulled her in for a hug. It should have been comforting but it only made her heart race more. She was confined, constricted. Back inside the mine with the walls and ceiling collapsing on her.
She let out a small scream as she pushed him away. Then she gulped in fresh air but it didn't relieve the pain in her chest. Tears freely flowed down her cheeks as she clawed at the seat belt keeping her in place. Youngjae grabbed her hand and yanked it away from the belt. She tried to tug it free but he held on to her tightly.
"What's wrong??" Himchan worriedly questioned from the front.
"She's having a panic attack." replied Youngjae.
Someone squeezed her right knee. "It's okay noona." Jongup told her. Then someone gripped her left knee and she knew it was Yongguk. So when the jeep went too fast around another corner, she quickly turned her head towards him. She buried her face between his shoulder and the backseat, muffling her scream as she cried hysterically.
Another hand touched the back of her neck but instead of squeezing just enough to be reassuring, the person squeezed even harder. A jolt of pain made her jerk but their hand never pulled back. Instead of seeing all those bloody images in her head, her mind zeroed in on the pain and that became her only focus. Then they loosened their hold and gently massaged her neck. The muscles in her neck relaxed a little, increasing the blood flow to her brain and making her a little lightheaded. She didn't exactly feel better but she was calmer. No longer screaming. Only crying and feeling her heart skip as they drove quickly on the dirt road. Every time fear or panic seized her, she squeezed Youngjae's hand as hard as she could. Not once did he say anything or attempt to take his hand back.

They drove for a bit with Jongup and Daehyun relaying instructions on where the ship was. Then they talked about a plan for when they got to the ship. Everyone was to hang back as Jongup and Himchan made sure it was safe. When Yongguk didn't offer to help, Jisun pulled back from his shoulder to look at him. His eyes were closed as his head hung down. Small beads of sweat dotted around his hair line and his breathing seemed forcefully slow. She pulled her right hand and Youngjae let it go. Then she reached over and cupped his face with her hand. He didn't open his eyes but he did turn his head a little to nuzzle her palm.
"Hyung?" Youngjae asked.
"I'm fine." Yongguk breathlessly answered.
Jisun pressed her lips together. She didn't argue with him but she knew he wasn't exactly telling the truth. Just as she knew it wasn't from him being knocked out.
The jeep slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road. "We'll have to walk from here." Himchan said as he turned off the engine.
Everyone got out of the vehicle and Jisun took a small shaky breath in relief. She clung on to Yongguk as he lead her to the forest edge. "Youngjae." Yongguk quietly called out.
The black haired boy joined them and directed a concerned look at Yongguk. "Hyung, if.."
"We can't wait." the eldest declared, cutting him off. Then he indicated Jisun with a small nod of his head, silently telling Youngjae to stay with her, before walking off. He went to the back of the jeep where Himchan and Jongup were helping Daehyun out. Once they were out of the way, he grabbed Zelo's body and draped the boy across his shoulders.
Youngjae grabbed Jisun's hand and she turned to face him. He offered her a small smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. Then he lead her in to the trees.

They didn't walk very long before Jisun saw a large, wood building in the distance. Most of the paint was chipped away and the wood was heavily weathered. She couldn't tell if it was once used for the mine or if it belonged to the logging company that no longer needed it. She could see a couple of trucks parked next to it though.
Youngjae crouched down and she did the same. The others slowly joined them before sitting down as well. Yongguk laid Zelo's body a little ways off and then sat next to Jisun. The boys glanced around at each other before Jongup and Himchan each pulled out a knife.
"Once we clear the area, we'll come back." Himchan instructed.
"You could be out numbered." Yongguk piped in. "Especially if they have guns."
Himchan eyed him and shook his head. "You're not doing good. Lay here and rest."
Yongguk opened his mouth to say something but Jisun hurriedly grabbed his arm. She could see it too and she didn't want him to end up getting hurt. He looked at her for a moment before closing his mouth. He shifted closer to her and wrapped his arm protectively around her.
With a final nod, Himchan and Jongup took off. They silently moved to the tree line where they paused and looked around. Then they hurried across the open expanse towards the building. Jisun kept watching them until they reached the old building and went around the corner, out of sight.
She let out a small, shaky breath as she directed her attention to the others that had been left behind. Daehyun laid on the ground, eyes closed and his skin very pale. Youngjae sat by him but stared intently towards the building. He had his hand pressed over his bullet wound. There was no telling how much blood he had lost but it had to be a lot by how stained his shirt was.
Yongguk suddenly leaned closer and laid his head on her right shoulder. "We're almost done." he whispered.
She swallowed and her lips. "What... What if... the tags... They're not..."
"They're here." he said without hesitation. He reached over and grabbed her hand. His thumb lightly rubbed against her skin. "Then you can tell me everything."
She frowned a little. "But your.."
"You promised." he said, interrupting her. He squeezed her hand before letting go. He continuously brushed his fingers along her skin, causing her to shiver. "I want to know why we were in the woods. The name of the movie we watched. Why you looked at me as if you were scared of me. And if we..."
Her heartbeat steadily grew faster with every word. Then she waited for him to continue but he didn't. "If we what?" she asked curiously.
Instead of answering, he shifted so he could press his face in to her neck. He let go of her hand and clutched tightly at her shirt.
"Yongguk?" she quietly said, her voice straining.
She felt him shudder and she glanced over at Youngjae. He was watching them with sadness in his eyes. Then he turned away and continued surveying the building.
Her own eyes watered as she looked up at the darkening sky. In a few minutes, it would be night time. She started rocking her body, hoping it would help soothe him a little and ease the pain.
Suddenly the sound of gunshots echoed through the forest. She jumped and squeaked before quickly looking around. Youngjae got to his feet but stayed crouched down as he hid. His right hand hovered over his knives as he kept glancing around. She turned her attention to the building too as she silently hoped.
A few moments later, Jongup appeared and jogged towards him. At the same time, Yongguk pulled away. She watched as he lightly shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose. He took steady, even breaths before opening his eyes.
"Where's Himchan?" Youngjae questioned when Jongup got close.
"Inside. Let's go." Jongup answered.
"Where?" Jisun asked, fearing the answer.
Jongup glanced at her and a tiny smile formed on his face. "The ship. We have the tags."
It took a second for his words to sink in. Then she felt her chest constrict. So much relief flooded through her as a few tears escaped her eyes.
All of a sudden, Yongguk whimpered. Jisun whipped her head to the side to look at him. Her eyes widened as she watched him wipe blood away from his nose.
"." Youngjae cursed as he hurried to the older male. "Jongup, get Zelo. Jisun, help Daehyun." Then he helped Yongguk stagger to his feet.
Jisun stood as well and reached for Yongguk. Her hand brushed his arm before the two of them moved away and made their way to the building. She turned her attention to the boy still laying on the ground and was surprised to see him looking at her.
"Go." Daehyun told her and made no effort to get up. Then he turned his head and looked away.
She swallowed thickly and took a step to follow after Yongguk. She stopped though and closed her eyes as she took a deep breath. She let it out slowly before turning and going over to the male. "Come on." she said, not bothering to hide the disdain in her voice.
He continued laying there and she almost began to debate over whether to leave him or kick him. But he finally rolled over and got to his knees. She crouched down and draped his left arm over her shoulder. He leaned heavily on her and winced as they stood, causing her shoulder and leg to hurt. She ignored the pain though and focused on Yongguk as they set off. She stared at the oldest a little ways ahead and could easily tell that the only thing keeping him on his feet was Youngjae holding him.
"Get to the ship." she thought to herself.