Chapter 19

Storm Rising

Yongguk opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling. He blinked a few times before turning his head and sitting him. Looking around the room, an odd feeling filled him and he furrowed his eyebrows.
A noise by the doorway caught his attention and he quickly glanced over. The woman standing there gasped with her eyes wide. Then she smiled at him and entered the room.
"You're finally awake thank goodness." she said and made her way to the bed.
He instantly scooted back away from her and eyed her suspiciously. She froze and blinked at him in surprise. "Yongguk?"
"Yongguk?" he thought. Then he looked at her and his lips. "Who are you?"
Her face fell as she stared at him in disbelief. Then she groaned and rubbed her face with her hand. "Great. Your memory reset again."
"My... What?" he questioned.
She sighed and pointed at him. "You're Yongguk." She pointed to herself. "I'm Suyun." She went to the bedside table and picked up a picture frame. "And your my little brother." she finished and held the picture out to him.
He pressed his lips together before slowing reaching forward. He took the frame from her and looked at the photo it held. It was the two of them in front of a lake and holding fishing poles. "I don't remember..." He trailed off and furrowed his eyebrows again. "Anything. I don't remember anything."
She slowly sat on the edge of the bed, not doing any sudden movements. "I know. You had a... Well... An accident. Kind of. A... thing." She shook her head and waved her hand dismissively. "The thing is, you're sick and you lost your memories."
He bit his bottom lip and pondered what she said. He racked his brain for something. Anything. Yet it was like he was grasping at fog in the dark.
Suyun smiled brightly and held her hand out. "So, nice to meet you again little brother."
He raised an eyebrow and stared at her.
"Okay..." She dropped her hand and pouted. "You laughed at that last time."
"Last time?" he questioned.
She opened before closing it. Then she shrugged while giving him an apologetic look. "Well, this isn't the first time you completely lost your memories again. Seems like every couple of days now you start all over."
"Oh." he uttered. "Am I... that sick?"
She pressed her lips together and solemnly nodded. "Yes." Then she took a deep breath. "And I know this is weird and everything but I promise you, I want to take care of you. So, please, trust me."
He blinked at her for a bit before glancing down at the photo in his hands. Then he nodded. "Alright."
"Great!" she cheerfully said and clapped her hands together. She jumped up and smiled at him. "You went to bed last night without eating so you must be hungry. I'll go make you some breakfast." Then she hurried out the room.
Alone again, he glanced around the room once more. He still had that odd feeling but he couldn't pinpoint what it was.
He set the picture frame back on the table and threw the blanket off of him. He was a little surprised to see that he was wearing clothes instead of pyjamas but then he shook his head dismissively. He got up and went over to the dresser. He opened the drawers and found some clean clothes. He carried them with him out of the room and into the hallway.
The door across from his was closed so he made his way down the hall. The next door was a bathroom and he entered it before closing the door behind him. He stripped off his clothes and stepped in to the shower. He turned the knobs and as soon as the water hit his skin, he took a deep breath.
He ducked his head in the water before rubbing his face, trying to rid himself of this weird feeling. It didn't exactly work though and for some reason, he felt frustrated by it.
He reached for the shampoo and popped the lid open. Just as he was about to squeeze some in to his hand, he stopped. Slowly, he brought the bottle up to his noise and sniffed. Then he scrunched his nose at the unexpected scent. Which made him furrow his eyebrows. "What was I expecting?"
A sudden urge to punch to wall filled him and he growled in frustration. Without wasting any more time, he hurriedly washed finished his shower.

Yongguk stepped into the living room and looked around. To his right was the kitchen and he saw Suyun busy in front of the stove. He wanted to ask her a million questions but bit his tongue. Instead, he turned and went further in to the living room.
There was an entertainment stand against one wall with a television on it. On either side were more picture frames. He went over and picked one of them up. The photo had two kids in it but it seemed obvious that it was him and Suyun again. Eating ice cream cones on a porch. He narrowed his eyes and concentrated on every detail, trying to remember anything.
"It's fake."
He winced and squeezed his eyes shut while bringing his hand to his head. A second later, there was a loud shattering sound as the glass in the frame broke.
"Yongguk! Are you okay??"
He opened his eyes and blinked as the room spun a little. "I... I..." He looked down and saw the broken frame on the floor. "S-sorry."
"It's fine." Suyun told him. "Come on." She lead him to the kitchen and to the table.
He sat down in a chair and lightly shook his head. Then he jumped a little as he felt hands on both of his cheeks. He looked up at Suyun and saw the concern etched in her face.
"How are you feeling? Are you okay?" she worriedly asked.
"No." he thought but said, "I'm fine."
She bit her bottom lip for a few moments before nodding. Then she let him go and quickly fetched a plate on the counter. "Here." she said and put the food in front of him. "Eat up. You need your strength."
He stared at the pile of eggs in front of him that were mixed with diced onions and peppers. Then he looked up at her. "Su... Uh..."
"Call me noona." she instructed with a little shrug.
"Noona." he repeated and his lips. "I..."
"I know, I know." she said, cutting him off with a small smile. "We'll play 20, or rather 200, questions later. After you eat."
He swallowed and nodded his head. "Alright." Then he turned his attention to his food and began to eat.

Flipping through the photo album, Yongguk let out a heavy sigh. Then he slammed it shut and pushed it away. He brought up both his hands and rubbed his face. No matter how many times he looked at the pictures it in, nothing felt familiar.
He lifted his head and looked at the picture frame it had broken earlier. Suyun had taken the glass out and set back by the television. "It's fake." Those words came from his mind but it was like he didn't think them. They came out of nowhere and he had no idea what it meant.
Turning away, he glanced around the living room and frowned. The house was quiet. Almost too quiet and for some reason, it was unsettling. It was suppose to be louder.
He stood up and went to the hallway. He walked down towards Suyun's room. She had done as she said and patiently answered every question he could think of. Then she teased how she should just write everything down since this was becoming a routine.
When he reached her door, it was partially open and he heard her talking in a low voice. He pressed his lips together and lightly stepped closer, staying quiet.
"It's my fault. I should have realized the strawberries would have been a trigger."
"What strawberries?" he thought to himself.
"I'm going to try again today with the latest formula. I'll keep you updated."
He strained to hear anymore but she was silent. Whoever she was talking to, on the phone perhaps, was gone. So he lightly tapped on her door and pushed it open a bit more.
Suyun turned and smiled at him. "Hey. Come in."
He pushed the door the rest of the way open and stepped in to her room. Then he hesitated as he surveyed the bedroom. There wasn't much room to move around with one side completely filled with tables. On top of them where all manners of chemistry equipment, beakers and tubes filled with different colored liquids.
"What.." He trailed off as he furrowed his eyebrows.
"Um... I promise I'm not a mad scientist." Suyun stated before giggling.
He turned his attention to her and noticed there was a laptop as well as dozens of papers around her. Plus a phone.
"Sit." she offered and patted the stool by her.
He hesitated again before slowly moving over to her. He sat down and then blinked at her in surprise when she put a syringe by him. "What's that?"
She took a deep breath. "Your medicine." she replied.
"Medicine?" he questioned and narrowed his eyes at her.
"For your memory loss." she elaborated.
That didn't really answer his question. If anything, he was even more confused. "I thought that was from an accident though? So why do I need medicine for it? Or is it for why I have memory loss?"
She sighed and shrugged. "Well... I don't even know anymore." she said with an unamused chuckle. "I don't know if this will work." She ran a hand through her hair. "And I'm beginning to doubt that anything will work."
He was suddenly overcome with sadness. He felt sorry for her though he didn't know why. She just seemed so sad and wanted to see her bright smile instead.
She took another deep breath and let it out with a huff. "It's up to you to take it. I won't force you." she told him.
He glanced down at the syringe. It was filled with a milky white liquid.
"Take it." said the voice in his head. Another thought that didn't feel like it was his own. his lips, he held his arm out and nodded at her.
She sat up and brightly smiled at him as she grabbed an alcohol wipe. She rubbed his arm before picking up the syringe and pressing the needle to his skin. "This might pinch a little." she informed him. Then she bit her bottom lip. "And well... The side effects are always different."
Without another word, she pushed the needle in to his vein and emptied its contents in to him. A cold sensation crept up his arm and then the room suddenly spun. He closed his eyes and swallowed.
"How are you feeling? Is there any pain?"
Her words sounded far away as his heartbeat thundered in his chest. Then he shot up and ran out of the room. He went to the bathroom and dropped in front of the toilet just as his stomach heaved. As he emptied his stomach, he felt a hand rubbing his back. Then the nausea finally stopped and he fell back
"I'm so sorry." Suyun offered. She grabbed a washcloth and doused it in cold water. Then she knelt down and gently rubbed his face.
He glanced at her and he was suddenly dizzy again. But he couldn't take his eyes off of her. There was something... different about her. Something that he felt he should know but his mind couldn't form the words. Couldn't form a coherent thought.
He squeezed his eyes shut again as his body started shaking. He was cold. And he swore he felt raindrops on his skin as well as stinging pain across his chest and stomach.
"Are you okay? Is there any pain. Yongguk, please. You have to tell me if your head hurts."
He shook his head. "No." he breathlessly said, his voice straining. "I... I just want to lay down."
She was quiet for a moment before saying, "Okay."
He felt her arms around him, lifting him, and he stumbled to his feet. He leaned on her as they staggered out of the bathroom and to his bedroom. Then he collapsed on to his bed.
He was aware of his sister in the room, fussing over him, but it was like she as a million miles away at the same time. His mind drifted through the fog as her voice grew hazy. He rolled on to his side and stretched his arm out, feeling only the blanket under him. "Don't leave me."