Chapter 47

Storm Rising

Jisun dried the last dish before putting it away. Then she leaned down to examine the jam she had made. Strawberry jam. The snow had came and went already so it was spring again. A year since she had first stumbled upon Yongguk laying unconscious in the woods. She had wondered a few times what would have happened if she never saw him. If she never turned to look over and kept going. Maybe the others would have found him. Or maybe the humans would have. Even after everything though, she was glad it was her.
It had taken her a long time to heal, both physically and mentally. The nightmares took the longest time to stop. She was still jumpy sometimes but she would remind herself that she was safe. No one had come looking for her for the past year. Except for the police of course to question her about Yoonjung. It was hard lying to them while images of her dead body in the mine floated in her head. She got no sleep that night.
The police did eventually find the mine that had caved in. They managed to stabilize it enough to dig it out and find everyone. Unlike her and the boys, they didn't make it out in time. Then they found the other bodies deeper in the mine. One by one, each missing person was found.
She sighed and straightened. She stared out the window as her hand came up to her chest. She felt the familiar metal tag and gave it a small squeeze before letting it go. Then she took a deep breath and forced a smile on her face.
She grabbed the small plate off the counter and carried it with her to the back door. She slipped on her sandals before stepping out on to the porch. It wasn't as sunny as it had been and she looked up to see dark clouds moving in.
"Guess it's gonna rain." she commented to herself.
She walked off the porch and over to the garden. She went to the edge of her garden that was closest to the woods. Then she scrapped the tiny pieces of strawberry off the plate, as well as some store bought lettuce since hers hadn't matured yet, on to the ground.
A rustling noise made her hand automatically go to the knife on her belt as she froze. When she saw the rabbit emerge from the bush though, she relaxed. "Better eat up quickly." she told the bunny. "There's a storm blowing in."
He hopped a little closer but still kept some distance. Smiling, she backed up a few steps before turning around. She set the plate on the ground to inspect her garden and made sure the metal meshings were firmly in the ground so the storm didn't blow them away.
When she was done, she glanced over at the rabbit and saw it eating. After the boys left, she wasn't sure if she would ever see the rabbit again. But he dutifully showed up a few days later. She kept feeding him throughout the winter and he gradually began to get closer to her. Which meant a lot to her. She could sit outside with him and truly relax, knowing that if there was any danger, he would alert her by running away.
A distant crack of thunder echoed through the sky and she looked up at the rain clouds once more. She didn't exactly have time to watch him eat right now.
She picked up the plate and walked towards the house. She made sure to lock the back door behind her before entering the kitchen and setting the plate in the sink. She found the candles and matches in their usual spot and set them on the table so she could easily get to them if the power went out. Then she went to the living room and plopped down on the couch. She turned the television on and was greeted with the news. She quickly changed the channel, not wanting to see anything more about the 'tragedy in the mine' story. A funny tv show took its place and she set the remote down to watch it instead.
As she watched the show, she could hear the storm moving closer. The thunder growing louder and louder. Then she heard a rumble of thunder that caused the hair on the back of her neck stand up. She turned her attention away from the television and peered curiously out the window. She didn't know what it was, but something seemed off.
She stood up and made her way to the front door. She opened it and surveyed the front yard but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Then she closed the door and locked it before heading towards the kitchen. She opened the back door and stepped out on to the porch.
The storm was almost right overhead now. The wind whipped at her, making her lose her breath momentarily before she slowly breathed in. Closing her eyes, she stood there and felt the storm with her whole body. The wind swirling around her, the heavy scent of rain in the air. The loud thunder pierced not only her ears, but her heart as well as it sent tingles through her. Then she opened her eyes as her heart began to race.
She turned and hurried into the mud room where she jammed her feet in to her hiking shoes. She started to leave when an idea came to her. She quickly went over to the shelves and grabbed a jar of strawberry jam. Then she ran out the door, slamming it behind her without giving it a second thought.
She ran to the forest and set out on one of the trails. She paid careful attention to where she was going so she didn't twist her ankle because she didn't want to slow down. This was too important for her to take her time.
Another path veered off and she followed it as thunder rumbled above her. Eventually she came to a clearing and came to a stop. She breathed heavily as she glanced around. It was a large open area that was cleared of any sticks or rocks. The only thing in it was a giant 'X' that she had made with a few fallen branches.
An odd noise made her look up and her eyes widened as she inhaled sharply. It was a spaceship. She watched as it slowly descended in to the clearing and then landing gear formed under it. It set down right above the tree branches marking the spot.
her lips, she moved closer to it. When she was just a little ways away, the door opened and a ramp formed. She couldn't help but smile a little as she hurried up the ramp. Once inside, she glanced around the white room until her gaze landed on a specific pod. She went to it and set the jar of jam down. As she straightened, she heard a whooshing noise and saw the doors open. Yongguk was standing there and she watched as his eyes opened.
"Jisun." he uttered as he took a step forward.
She instantly closed the distance to him and threw her arms around his neck. His own arms quickly hugged her waist as he pulled her tightly against him.
"I can't believe you're here." she whispered as she tried to keep her voice steady.
He pulled back and she met his gaze as he stared at her. She caught his eye movement as he glanced down and she knew he was looking at his tag that was still wearing. That she always wore. Then he suddenly crashed his lips against her lips. She closed her eyes and eagerly kissed him back, feeling the euphoric rush crash through her.
Too soon, he broke off the kiss. He kept his forehead pressed against hers, staying close. "I missed you." he told her.
She moved her arms back so she could grab his head. She pulled him close and went back to kissing him. It felt like she was drowning and the only thing keeping her up was the taste of his lips.
He stopped kissing her longer enough to breathlessly say, "I missed you so much". Then he turned his head to deepen the kiss. His hand continuously rubbed up and down her back while her own hands moved to run through his hair.
He finally tore away and hugged her tightly to him. She gasped for air as she listened to his heavy breathing as well. One hand clutched at the top of his shirt, wanting to keep him with her forever.
"When I'm with you," he quietly murmured in her ear, "I feel like nothing's missing."
She felt her heart skip a beat before her eyes quickly watered. "You remember." she said, her voice straining.
He moved back and brought up both of his hands to cup her cheeks. "Everything." he stated as a small grin formed on his face. "I remember everything."
A few tears escaped her eyes as she swallowed. He wiped them away for her, leaving tingles on her skin where he touched her. Then she let out a tiny shriek as he suddenly put his arms around her and lifted her up. He spun her around once before setting her down and both of them chuckled.
"Hyung, why is there a human on the ship?"
Jisun jumped and spun around to see that the display of affection as being watched. She immediately blushed and glanced at Yongguk to see him blushing as well. Then she turned her attention to the person the question had came from. It was Zelo. Or rather, someone that looked an awful lot like him. Except in place of Zelo's crazy red hair, there was black hair that was smoothly styled in place.
"This is Jisun." Himchan explained to the youngest while grinning happily at her and Yongguk.
"Ohhhhhh." Zelo replied and slowly nodded his head.
Jisun bit her lip as she turned and picked up the strawberry jam. Then she carried it to the boy and offered it to him. "This is for you." she said as he hesitated for a moment before taking it. "It's nice to meet you Zelo."
He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "My name is Junhong."
She blinked at him for a bit before giving her head a slight shake. "Uh... Yeah... I.."
"Oh!" the young male suddenly exclaimed. "That's right. The previous unit had a preference for the designation Zelo. You can call me that if want." Then he held up the jar and examined its contents curiously. "And thank you for the... uh..."
"Jam. Strawberry jam." she informed him. Then as an afterthought, she added, "You eat it."
"Oh." he uttered as he inspected the jar again. "Do you eat it like this or with something?"
She stared at him for a second before she burst in to laughter. She heard the others join in, laughing as well while Junhong kept glancing around at everyone in confusion.
"Don't worry." Jongup stated. "We'll get you accustomed to life on Earth. We can go skateboarding together too."
Junhong raised an eyebrow as he looked at the older boy. "What's skateboarding?"
"You stand on a piece of wood with wheels attached to it and go rolling on it." Youngjae explained.
At that, Junhong frowned. "That sounds dangerous. What are the safety protocols for.." He was suddenly interrupted by Himchan's hand covering his mouth. There was a muffled yell before he pushed his hyung's arm away.
"He was completed just a couple of weeks ago." Himchan told Jisun, ignoring the dirty glare Junhong was giving him. "Give him some time and he won't sound so robotic."
She giggled and brightly smiled at him. Then she glanced around at the others as they smiled back at her. She realized just how much she missed them as well and not just Yongguk. But there was someone missing.
Her smile quickly disappeared as she turned and looked around the ship. "Where's Daehyun?" she questioned as she turned back to face them.
Himchan was no longer smiling either. "He..." He looked past her and then towards the door to the ship. "He was just here."
Youngjae quickly went to the door and peered out in to the forest. When he turned around, he shrugged both his shoulders. "He's gone."
She felt her heart sink a little. "But... He's okay, right?"
"He's fine." Himchan assured her. "We all are. Completely healed." he said as he eyed Yongguk.
She looked at the eldest as well and Yongguk nodded his head. She pressed her lips together before smiling, feeling so much relief.
"We have a gift for you too." Jongup piped in and went to the computer.
She raised an eyebrow and glanced around at everyone. They merely smiled at her so she directed her attention to Jongup. She watched as he pushed a button and made a hole in the floor by the computer appear. He reached in and pulled up a bundled cloth. Then he pushed the button to close the hole and made his way back to the group.
The others parted to make room as Jongup knelt down. She mimicked him and sat down on her knees as well. He laid the cloth down and unrolled it to reveal what was inside it. It was a pair of belts with knives in them, exactly the same as the ones the boys' had.
Jongup grabbed the knife she remembered as Heart and pulled it out of its sheath. He held it up to her so she could see the matoki writing on it. Then he flipped it over and on the other side, it said 'HEART'. "These are for you." he said and offered her the knife in his hands.
"What?" she questioned in disbelief as she took the knife. She stared at it in awe and kept double checking the blade. She wasn't seeing things, it really did have both languages on it.
"All of us had these specially made for you noona." explained Jongup. Then he leaned in and quietly added, "That includes Daehyun-hyung."
Her head jerked up and she blinked at him. As he nodded his head, she could tell that he was speaking the truth. Then she changed the subject slightly. "So you want this back?" she asked and lifted her shirt so he could see the knife he had given her hanging on her belt.
He brightly smiled when he saw the Strength knife but shook his head. "No, keep it. It was a gift." Then he indicated her new knives. "I know I said I'd teach you to throw it but expect me to teach you how to use all of these now."
She giggled and smiled in return. "I'm ready!" she proclaimed, earning a few laughs from all the boys.

Jisun hurried into mud room through the back door and turned around to see Yongguk right behind her. They looked at each other before laughing as the sound of rain on the roof grew louder. They had ran through the woods while it was only sprinkling and managed to make it to the yard before it came down harder.
They each took their shoes off and then she grabbed his hand. "Come on." she urged.
She lead him through the kitchen, down the hall, and in to the bathroom. There she grabbed the towel and turned to face him. Before she could hold it up though, he lowered his head slightly and shook his head. Water flew off of his hair and a few drops splashed on her face. She cried out and then laughed.
"Meanie." she chided while smiling. She brought the towel up and rubbed it through his hair to help dry it. While she did that, he leaned in and gave her a small peck on her nose. She instantly stopped and blushed as a shy smile formed on her face.
He reached up and took the towel from her. Then he used it to lightly wipe her hair. She bit her bottom lip as she kept staring at him. She reached for him and put her hands on his waist so she could feel him. He was here. Really here. It wasn't a dream. "Thank you." she uttered.
He stopped drying her hair and gave her a curious look.
"For coming back." she elaborated.
He pressed his lips tightly together before hanging the towel up. Then he stepped closer and cupped her face. "Because I love you." he sincerely said.
Goosebumps dotted her skin as she shivered. "I love you."
Yongguk's lips tugged in to a small smile and then he leaned in to kiss her lips. "I'm sorry it took so long."
"It's fine." she assured him and gripped his waist tighter. "You had to get better."
He's eyebrows suddenly furrowed as the expression on his face turned to concern. "What about you?"
"Me?" she questioned. Then she lightly shook her head. "I'm fine."
He bit his bottom lip. "I mean... The nightmares... and the panic attack." he hesitantly said. "Did.."
"I'm fine." she interrupted and forced a smile on her face. She let him go and brushed past him. She left the bathroom and made her way to the kitchen. "We should have an early dinner in case the power goes out."
"Jisun." he said as he followed her.
"What do you want to eat?" she asked while ignoring how worried he sounded.
Suddenly she was held in place as his arms wrapped around her. He hugged her and pressed the side of his face against hers. "It's okay." he whispered.
She swallowed thickly and rapidly blinked her eyes. It almost felt like if she said it out, acknowledged it, then it would happen again. Yet this time, he was here. And in his arms, she felt safe. "There... were more... panic attacks. And nightmares. Lots of nightmares." she confessed. "But I have gotten better."
Tension filled the air as his hold on her tightened. "I should have been here." he said, his voice straining a little.
"You had to go." she declared before taking a shaky breath. "But you're here now."
He let her go and turned her around to face him. She looked in to his eyes and saw guilt. So before he could say anything else, she hurriedly kissed him. There was a slight moment of hesitation but then he kissed her back. Their lips moving with each in perfect rhythm.
When she pulled back, she reached up with one hand and put it on his cheek. "Just promise you won't leave me again."
He turned his head to nuzzle her hand and replied, "I promise. I don't ever want to be away from you." Then he looked at her with a tiny smile. "Waffles. Can we have waffles and jam?"
dropped open slightly but then she smiled. "Of course. Just one last thing..." She took her hand and flicked him on the forehead. He jumped and his eyes widened in surprise. "That's for not saying goodbye."
Instantly he skin turned red as he heavily blushed. "I... I just... I..." he stammered.
"It was too hard." she finished for him. Then she grabbed his hand. "Help me?"
He blushed some more but let her lead him to the counter. Together, they made some waffles for dinner and afterwards, a movie. Yongguk picked out a war documentary like she knew he would and for it. She still watched it with him though as the sat close to each other, his arm around her shoulders.
They managed to finish half the movie before the power went out. The sudden blackness caused Jisun to stiffen as her heart skipped a beat. She relaxed though as Yongguk's hold on her tightened and he whispered in her ear that everything was fine. Then he took her hand and lead her to her bedroom.
When she climbed on to the bed, he hesitated so she pulled him on to the bed with her. She snuggled close to him and listened to the storm raging outside. Between the booms of thunder, Yongguk quietly promised her that he would never let anything bad happen to her again.