Chapter 48

Storm Rising

Jisun bit her bottom lip as she eyed the man laying next to her. The early morning sunlight filtered in through the window, illuminating his skin. His eyes were closed as he breathed evenly. Still sleeping.
She would be lying if she said the past few weeks weren't the best weeks of her life. Falling asleep every night and then waking up in Yongguk's arms like this was heaven. So much so that at times, she didn't think it was real. There were several times when she woke up in the morning and expected him to be gone. Like he was a dream and had never actually came back to her. But each time, he was right beside her. Keeping his word that he would never leave her again.
She lifted her hand and lightly walked her fingers up his chest. He shifted a little before settling as he continued sleeping. Then a mischievous smile formed on her face. She slowly moved so she could bring her lips close to him. She softly kissed his jaw, earning a small murmur from him. Then she shifted and started kissing his neck.
"Jisun." he warned, his voice husky from just being woken up.
She pressed her lips tightly together to stop herself from giggling. Then she ignored his warning and continued kissing his neck. When she , she was rewarded by a little groan as he tilted his head back.
"I will make you late to work again."
She instantly stopped as her face grew hot from blushing. She pulled back to look at him and saw that his eyes were opened. His normally warm, brown eyes were giving a piercing look as he stared up at her.
"I'm gonna shower." she quickly said and threw the blanket off of her. She hurried off the bed and out of the room before he had a chance to grab her.
She made it to the bathroom and closed the door. Then she let out a giggle as she stripped off her pyjamas. She stepped in to the tub and took a quick shower, just taking a few extra seconds to sniff the strawberry scented shampoo. When she was done, she turned the shower off and dried herself. Then she wrapped the towel around her before picking up her pyjamas and leaving the bathroom.
She went back to the bedroom and saw that the bed was empty. Her lips tugged in to a smile as she tossed the clothes in to the hamper. She grabbed some work clothes and dressed before drying and brushing her hair. Last but not least, she picked up the necklace chain and slipped it over her head. She eyed the dog tag with Yongguk's name on it affectionately before tucking it safely in to her shirt.
Finished, she left the room and made her way to the kitchen. Yongguk was nowhere to be seen but she knew exactly where he was. She crossed the kitchen to the mud room and slipped on her sandals. Then she walked out the back door and on to the porch.
She spotted the black haired man by the garden and started to walk towards him. An odd sight though caused her to stop real fast. She inhaled sharply as her eyes widened in surprise. She stared in disbelief for a few moments before coming to her senses and lightly shaking her head. Then she stepped off the porch and slowly approached him.
"I can't believe it." she said as she got closer.
Yongguk lifted his head to smile at her before looking back down at the rabbit in his arms. "I'm surprised too." he told her as he gently petted the little bunny. "I think it's cause I'm matoki. Like she can sense it about me."
"Apparently." Jisun agreed. Then she turned her attention to the rabbit she had been feeding for a year. "What about me? Can I pet you Chiyu?"
Chiyu, as in Chiyumato. Suyun's real name. After Yongguk had informed her that her little rabbit was a female instead of a male, the name instantly came to her. She suggested the name change to him and he agreed that it was a good name. When the boys had came back, she never asked about Suyun. Somehow she already knew. Her body was never listed as one that was found in the mine though so she also knew the boys must have done something before they left. Made sure she wasn't found so an autopsy would reveal anything non-human about her.
"Go ahead and try." Yongguk urged, breaking her out of her thoughts.
Hesitantly, she moved closer and was careful not to do any sudden movements. She reached her hand forward and lightly touched the top of the rabbit's head. Chiyu stiffened a bit but relaxed as the man holding her started petting her again. A big grin formed on Jisun's face as she too petted the rabbit for a moment before stepping back.
"I'll see about making some breakfast for us. You make sure Chiyu gets her breakfast." she instructed.
He indicated with his head to a bowl on the ground with some vegetables in it. "Yes ma'am." he replied with a smile. She started to go back to the house but stopped as she surveyed him. "What?" he asked.
She took in the sight of him, wearing a tank top and sweats while holding a rabbit and standing in a garden. "You've done nothing but learned to fight your whole life." she said out loud. "You're a matoki warrior, trained in all sorts of combat maneuvers. And you're gardening." She her lips. "It just... Seems a little odd."
He regarded her for a few seconds before gently setting the rabbit down by the bowl. Chiyu instantly began eating her breakfast as he moved away and closer to Jisun. "This is where I want to be." he quietly stated without any doubt in his voice.
"Sooo... You won't ever get tired of gardening?" she questioned. As in, 'you won't ever say goodbye?'
He reached up with both hands to cup her face. "Never." he proclaimed and pecked her lips. "I like gardening too much." As in, 'I'll never get tired of you'.
She chuckled at his answer before quickly kissing him. When she pulled back, she blushed a bit but she also had a giddy smile on her face.
"Can we have waffles for breakfast?" he suddenly asked.
She blinked at him for a bit before rolling her eyes and playfully scoffing, earning a chuckle for him. "Oh I suppose so." she dramatically said. "If you insist."
"Thank you." he replied and kissed her forehead.
She reached up grab his hand and squeezed them before letting them go. She took a few steps backwards as she smiled at the man she was sharing her life with. Then she turned around and went into the house.
She quickly set about making waffles and they finished just as Yongguk walked in. He washed his hands before joining her at the table for waffles and jam. Of course while enduring Jisun teasing him about his obsession and how they should see about planting their own strawberries. Especially since they were having to share the jam as well.
"You still up for another round of training with Jongup?" he inquired and then took a bite of his waffle.
"Yeah. He said he'd take it easy on me today." she said with a little laugh. "Just some knife throwing and some drills."
He nodded as a glint of pride formed in his eyes. "Okay. I'll meet you there then."
"Alright." She ate the last bite of her breakfast and glanced at the clock. "I better get going." She stood and hurriedly kissed Yongguk on the cheek. "Be careful driving down the mountain."
"You too." he said in return as he gathered the dishes.
Jisun went to the front door and slipped on her shoes before grabbing her purse. Then she went outside. She made her way to her car that was parked next to Yongguk's jeep. With her working and him having to do Mato stuff with the boys, it made sense to get him his own vehicle.
As she got behind the wheel, she eyed the house she had grown up in. Maybe it was just a reflection of her own happiness but it seemed different somehow. No longer... lonely.
She chuckled at her sudden crazy thought. Then she started the car and headed for work.

Once her shift was over, she drove over to the boys' house. The same one they had been set up in before. She might not have had much of a choice at first but now it really was like a second home. She and Yongguk visited often, even spending the night a couple of times. Jongup was true to his word and began putting her through a training regimen. Not only did it include learning all the of the names of the knives, but how to use them and some self-defense as well.
She spotted Yongguk's jeep and pulled up next to it before turning the car off. As she got out of her vehicle, she noticed the front door open and Yongguk stepped out on to the porch. She gave a little wave as she hurried to him.
"Hey." he greeted happily. "How was work?"
"The usual." she replied before pecking his lips.
He moved aside to let her in the house and she made her way to the kitchen. She set her purse down on the island counter before heading to the back door. She went out to the backyard where she found the others.
Himchan and Junhong were standing by the porch as they watched Jongup and Youngjae sparing. They were using fake knives, designed to look like the long Luck knives, and as she watched them as well, she could easily see the differences in their fighting styles. Jongup had more strength but what Youngjae lacked there, he more than made up for in speed. He easily dodged or blocked Jongup's attacks as he danced around the younger male. Jongup had a much harder time blocking Youngjae's quick attacks and barely moved out of the way many times. But every time Jongup did land a blow that Youngjae blocked, it was obvious the attacked rattled Youngjae. Even going so far as making Youngjae stagger which Jongup took advantage of. Before Youngjae could right himself after one powerful blow, Jongup charged and threw the older boy to the ground. Then he held the knife to Youngjae's throat to claim victory.
Youngjae groaned from where he laid. "You win again." he muttered in despair.
"Barely." Jongup insisted with a bright smile as he offered the defeated man a hand. Youngjae took it and let Jongup pull him up from the ground. "Your speed is your greatest strength." Jongup told him. "You're like an annoying fly that won't stop buzzing in my face."
Jisun barked out a laugh at that, causing everyone to look at her as they laughed as well. Youngjae blushed and self-consciously rubbed the back of his neck.
"So that's why Daehyun ran off in a hurry." Himchan commented.
Her laugh died away as she turned her attention to him. "Again?" she asked, exasperated. It was the same thing every time she came over here. He somehow manages to slip off without her noticing. Even when she stayed for dinner or spent the night, he would never show up again until she left.
"Didn't you talk to him?" Yongguk questioned Himchan.
"I tried. More than once. You know how he can be." Himchan replied with a shrug of his shoulders.
Yongguk frowned as he turned to Jisun. "I'll speak to him."
It wasn't the first time he offered to do that but she shook her head like all the other times. "No." she said with a sigh. "Don't."
"Come on noona." Jongup called out, changing the subject. "Let's get started."
She smiled a little and eagerly nodded as she bounded off the porch. She followed him to the area they had set up to practice throwing knives. There was a large wooden board with a target painted on it. A little ways away from it was a small table with practice knives laid out.
Jisun grabbed a knife from the table and prepared herself to throw it.
"Is it safe to stand this close?"
"Yeah. They're not flying back at us as much."
She lowered her arm to glare at Jongup and Yongguk who were standing on either side of her. Then she got ready once more. She lined up the shot and brought her hand back. She threw it at the target, mimicking the motion with her hand that Jongup had taught her. The knife flipped through the air and planted in to the wood. Quite a distance from the target.
"Congrats. You hit the board."
She quickly turned as she made a fist with her hand but Yongguk was already backing up as he chuckled. She glared at him and did everything she could to not let her lips tug in to a smile. "It's not like it's easy." she declared as she turned back to face the target.
Jongup reached past her and grabbed one of the knives. He threw it and it landed right in the center of the target. Then a few seconds later, another knife sailed through the air and hit right next to it.
"Show offs." she muttered as Jongup and Yongguk giggled. Then she hurriedly shot her hand out.
"Ow!" Himchan exclaimed as her hand smacked his. He quickly pulled his hand away from the knives.
"Don't even think about it." she playfully warned and grabbed the knife Himchan had been reaching for.
"You know, I think Youngjae should be training her." commented Himchan with a chuckle as he shook his hand. "Both of them are speed fighters."
Right on cue, Youngjae cheered, "You can do it noona!"
She glanced back real quick to smile at him and then lined up her shot. She threw the knife and watched it speed to the board. When it landed, dropped open in shock. It wasn't exactly close to the center but it was inside the target. This instantly earned a round of cheers from the boys, making her blush.
Junhong brushed past Yongguk to grab another throwing knife and handed it to her. "You twist your wrist a millimeter or two when you release the knife." he politely informed her. "Try to keep your hand and arm lined up more."
"Oh. Ok." she replied. She brought her arm up and concentrated on what he said as she threw it. It landed inside the target area as well and even a little closer to the center. She quickly joined in the cheering before smiling at the youngest. "Thanks."
"You're welcome." he said with a little smile as well.

Jisun and Yongguk stayed for dinner that night. Even with food being present, Daehyun wasn't. Not that she was all that surprised. She couldn't help but think about him while they ate though. More so than she usually did.
She had given some thought to his disappearing act when it kept happening and she knew why he did it. Yoonjung. She could still remember the look in his eyes when he realized it was her best friend that he had killed in the mine. Plus the look he gave her when he told her she could leave him behind. When they had found the ship and Youngjae was helping a very hurt Yongguk to the building it was being stored in.
She really couldn't blame him for not being able to face her. At the same time, she wasn't sure what she would say to him. She did have plenty of time to think about it though. So once they were done with dinner, she requested a pen and a piece of paper. She scribbled out a quick note and folded it a few times. Then she carried it upstairs.
She went to the second door and entered the bedroom. It was easy to see which side belonged to who. Youngjae's side contained all sorts of electronic equipment that he was either using or tinkering with to see how it worked. Daehyun's side was more orderly with rows upon rows of cds. She went to Daehyun's bed and stuffed the note under his pillow where he would find it.
With a small sigh, she left the room and went back downstairs. Yongguk was waiting for her and they both said their goodbyes to the rest of the boys. Then they left and drove home with Yongguk following behind her.