Chapter 45

Storm Rising

Jongup shifted where he was sitting on the floor so he could face Jisun and reached for one of his belts. He grabbed the long knife, the one similar to Yongguk's knife that she had used, and held it up. "Luck."
She raised an eyebrow at him. "Luck?"
"That's its name." he explained. "Luck."
"Why?" she questioned as she eyed the blade.
He set it down between them and pursed his lips thoughtfully. "Because if you actually had any luck, you wouldn't need it. You wouldn't be fighting in the first place. So if you find yourself in a fight, you need all the luck you can get." He traced a single finger down the center of the blade. "It doesn't matter how much skill you have or if you trained all your life. All it takes is one mistake and that mistake can cost you your life. So hopefully, luck is on your side."
Jisun tilted her head curiously. "Do you?" she asked. "Train your whole life I mean."
Jongup lifted his head and smiled at her. "Yep. Every matoki does. Ever since we were young, we trained to fight."
"That's... horrible." she said. "You didn't get to play or act like kids?"
"To us, it was playing." he told her with a little chuckle. Then he shrugged a little. "And it's just our way of life. We learn to fight and defend ourselves." He pulled another knife out and showed it to her. "This one is Heart."
She examined it and saw the strange markings on its blade.
"This one is the one we normally use. For moving stealthily and taking out enemies quietly." he explained. "It's best to avoid a full confrontation when possible. You never know when someone can overpower you. So obviously, this one sees the most action and gets covered in blood the most."
She swallowed at the morbid detail but it made sense. She couldn't argue with the logic. "Is that why it's named after the organ that deals with blood?"
He smiled amusingly and shook his head. "Not that. Heart as in 'compassion'."
"How is it compassionate to take someone's life?" she countered.
"It's not." he declared. "Taking someone's life is dark, twisted. It can change you. Make you in to someone you're not." He gaze flickered over to Daehyun's pod for a second before he looked at her again. "Especially when you're also in pain." He set the knife down next to the one named Luck. "Hurting someone isn't a small thing. It's not like deciding what to eat for breakfast. It stays with you just as much as it stays with them. That kind of anger burns you."
Jisun bit her bottom lip. She knew he was hinting at something.
Jongup took a deep breath and let it out before leaning forward. "I saw you noona. You were going to leave Daehyun behind."
She stiffened and her right hand curled in to a fist.
"And I know what happened in the mine. With Yoonjung. You.."
"Don't." she told him as her jaw shook a little.
"You saw the way he was before. You're doing the same thing." he continued.
"It is not the same." she snapped. "Not even close. He hated me cause of what I am. Because of the stupid actions of a few humans, he blamed me. Even though I had nothing to do with it." She her lips and forced herself to breathe. "I don't blame you for what he did just cause you're the same as him. I only blame him. So don't try to say it's the same thing."
He regarded her solemnly. "Do you hate him?"
That question made the growing anger inside of her fade. She opened but didn't say anything. She wasn't sure what to say.
"How long are you going to hold on to that anger and let it kill you from the inside?" he asked. Then he reached for the Heart knife and held it up. "You're right, it's not the same. But pain, hurt, anger; that's all the same. Even if it comes from different sources. But you can't let it change you. Twist you in to someone you're not."
She felt her eyes watering and looked away. She rapidly blinked her eyes, clearing them of the developing tears.
"That's why this knife, that takes more lives than any other, is called Heart." he quietly informed her. "As you end someone's life, don't let your life end. Don't fall in to that darkness. And it's the same when someone hurts you. You can't let it kill you. You can't lose your heart."
She rubbed her eyes a little before turning her attention back to him. "Yoonjung and I practically grew up together. I've known her forever. I can't forgive him. Not yet."
A small smirk formed on his face. "Hyung would tell you not to." Then the smirk faded as he gave her a sincere, pleading look. "He didn't know it was her. I know how he can be but if he knew, I know he wouldn't have... hurt... her."
She pressed her lips tightly together and nodded. No matter how hard it was to accept, she knew that was the truth.
"What are you doing?"
Jisun and Jongup looked up to see Himchan standing next to them. He was giving Jongup a very disapproving frown.
"Telling her about the knife since she used it." Jongup replied and indicated Luck that was still laying on the floor. "If you pick up the blade, you need to know what the blade means." he evenly said as if he was reciting something.
Himchan crossed his arms and gave the younger a pointed look. "She's not matoki."
Jongup glanced at her before looking back at the older male and shrugged his shoulders. "Close enough."
The pink haired guy raised a single eyebrow before chuckling. He lifted his hands in the air in defeat. "Fine." Then he sat down with them and turned his attention to Jisun. "Youngjae was right. There was enough energy in Zelo's battery that kept his computer parts on. We got the formula for Yongguk's medicine."
Jisun inhaled sharply and instantly felt relieved. "So he... He's..."
"He'll be fine." he assured her. "The only problem is that one of the ingredients is from Earth. The fever medicine. The computer managed to recreate it as best it could. It's giving him the medicine right now and then will monitor his reaction to it."
"I told you noona." Jongup cheerfully said and patted her knee.
She swallowed thickly and nodded. Yongguk would get better, maybe even regain all his memories. No more headaches.
An idea suddenly popped in her head and she glanced between them curiously. "Wait. So Zelo... I mean. His computer parts are on. So can you do something? Suyun said you can reprogram him. Can you also..." Then she watched as both of their faces fell as they shared a look.
Himchan chewed on his lip thoughtfully for a moment. "You remember him telling you about charging and sleeping?" he asked. "How it's a balancing act."
"Yeah." she replied.
"He's not a robot. He's a cyborg. He's biological too." Himchan ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "Yes the computer part plays a big role but he has a brain. The computer can manipulate the brain and at the same time, his brain manipulated the computer. It's another balancing act. His brain made him who he was as much as his programming did."
"And... that part is gone." Jongup added quietly as he stared down at the floor.
Himchan took a deep breath. "He's not breathing. His heart's not pumping. The only thing that is working is the computer chips. If we disconnect him from the ship, it would only be a matter of time before that part... dies.. as well."
"But.." she uttered hopelessly. Then she thought of something else. "But he was made." she proclaimed. "You can make him again. Right?"
"Uh... Well... Y-yes." Himchan stuttered hesitantly. "That's been known to happen. Replacing ZELO's with copies. But.."
"We should do that." Jongup interrupted. "Make him again."
Himchan turned his attention to the black haired boy. There was a heavy sadness in his eyes as he said, "You know it won't be the same. It won't be him."
Jongup didn't say anything as he looked away.
"What does that mean?" inquired Jisun.
"It's that balancing act again. They can create an identical brain and put in the same programming but it's never the same." Himchan explained. "The synergy between the two somehow changes. Sometimes it's just small differences and sometimes it's a completely different personality. The new ZELO unit can look exactly like the previous one, but they're still two different people."
That crushed the newly developed hope that had formed inside her. The red hair boy, smiling brightly as he ate strawberry ice cream, would forever remain just a memory.
"You should see about resting." Himchan said, drawing her out of her thoughts. "It's... Well... It's been a long, hard day."
She swallowed and nodded her head. She repositioned the pillow before carefully laying down, being mindful of her left arm.
"Here." offered Jongup as he grabbed another pillow. He moved it to her side to help prop up her arm.
"Thanks." she weakly said. Then she watched as Jongup set up a second bed.
"Jongup." Himchan said. "You should.."
"I'll stay with her." he declared. He took off his belts and slipped the knives back in their sheaths. Then he set the belts aside and laid down, making himself comfortable. "Besides, I'll be fine for a few hours. Long enough for you to contact Mato and figure out our next move."
Himchan chewed on his lip for a moment as he eyed Jisun. "Okay." he said, relenting. He stood and went back to sit in front of the computer. "Just no more telling all of our secrets."
"So about Mato." Jongup quietly said.
"I can hear you!"
Jisun stifled a laugh as her lips tugged in to a smile. She turned her head to look over at Jongup. She mouthed the words 'thank you' to him and was reward with a little smile. Then she closed her eyes and slowly drifted off to sleep.

Jisun stirred awake and sleepily blinked. The sound of hushed voices caught her attention and she opened her eyes. Jongup and Himchan were whispering together before Jongup left. He went to the pod next on the other side of Daehyun and entered it. Then Himchan took the spot on the second bed.
When he looked over at her, he jumped a little as if he was startled. "Oh. Sorry." he said. "Didn't mean to wake you."
"It's fine." she assured him and sat up. She stretched as best as she could and moved her body. Laying in one position to save her arm wasn't going over so well with the rest of her body. She felt stiff all over. Not to mention sore from everything that happened.
She rolled her neck before looking at him. "You don't have to stay with me either." she stated. "If you need to go inside one of those... things..."
He bit his bottom lip as he stared at her. "You had another nightmare." he finally said.
Jisun's eyes widened in surprise. "I did?"
"You whimpered in your sleep but then settled down as if the nightmare stopped." he informed her. "So we didn't wake you."
"Oh." she uttered. "I... I don't remember."
He reached over and fluffed the pillow a bit before laying down. "I'm fine sleeping right here."
She pressed her lips together and gave a brief nod of her head. "Thank you." she quietly said. Then she asked, "Did you get in contact with Mato?"
"Yes." he replied with a little sigh. "I told them everything too. A full report."
"What did they say?" she inquired, curious.
He his lips. "They want us to go home. Give us a full medical exams. Especially Yongguk. Make sure he heals properly."
At the mention of Yongguk, she earnestly said, "You should go then."
"Not yet." he countered. He sat up and glanced around the single room of the spaceship. "It's too far away. You'd never be able to stay out here during the journey." Then he indicated the pods. "And I don't want to risk putting you to sleep and find out that your human biology isn't compatible with our technology."
"So... you have to leave me behind." she reasoned.
"Which is why we can't leave yet." he declared. A small smile formed on his face. "We have to make sure our friend is safe first." Then his smile grew. "There were really surprised to hear that."
Jisun giggled. "Really? What did you say about me? That I'm awesome?"
"Something like that." he said and chuckled. "I did tell them...
Suddenly a beeping noise from the computer cut him off and he furrowed his eyebrows as he looked at it. He stood up and went over to. He pushed a button on the screen before leaning in to read whatever was on it. And whatever it was, Jisun knew it wasn't good. Not with how pale the pink haired man became.
"." he cursed as he took a step back. He brought both hands up to rub his face before moving them through his hair. He glanced around the ship aimlessly, his eyes watering.
A constricting pain developed in her chest. She quickly looked at Yongguk's pod as she filled with dread. "Wha..." she whined as she looked at Himchan.
He turned to her, seemingly lost as he blinked his eyes. Then he gave a small shake of his head. "It... It's... Daehyun." he quietly told her. He glanced away as he took a deep breath before looking at the floor. "He... The computer... It put him on life support. He... stopped breathing."
There was a moment when Jisun stopped breathing as well as his words echoed in her mind. Then she hurriedly got to her feet. "You have to go. Just drop me off anywhere and take him to Mato." she frantically said.
"Jisun." Himchan whispered and closed the distance to her.
"No!" she argued back as her vision clouded. "You can't let him die!" Then his arms were around her. She felt like her heart was breaking inside her and it hurt so much.
"The ship can keep him alive for now." he stated. "As soon as everyone wakes up, we'll make sure it's safe for you and then leave."
She in a shaky breath and squeezed her eyes shut. A few tears leaked out as she forced herself to regain her composure. The thought of another person dying though really shook her to her core. She already lost Zelo and Yoonjung. Even with the way she felt about Daehyun, she still didn't want him to die.
A sound made her turn her head and she inhaled sharply. She watched as Yongguk stepped out of his pod and glanced around before his gaze landed on her. She instantly pulled away from Himchan and went to him.
"Ji.. Ooff." Instead of saying her name, he let out a huff as she collided with him. Her free arm wrapped around his waist as she held on to him tightly. "What's wrong??" he worriedly asked as he put his own arms around her.
Himchan went to his side and quickly whispered everything to him.. Then his hold on Jisun tightened as he let out a curse.
"Leave me here then." Yongguk instructed. "I'll protect Jisun and you can take Daehyun to Mato right now."
Himchan furrowed his eyebrows and shook his head. "That..
"No." Jisun blurted out, interrupting him. She pulled away a little from Yongguk so she could look him in the eye. "You have to go. You're sick too."
"The ship can make me medicine to take with. Right?" he asked, directing the question towards Himchan.
"No Yongguk." she protested, her voice sounding weak to her ears. It was so hard to say this to him. To tell him to leave her side now that they're together again and safe. "If something happens, I can't help you. You need to go home where you can get help." She swallowed before whining, "Please."
He stared at her silently for a few seconds and then brought his left hand up to cup her cheek. "Alright."
She let out a breath and covered his hand with hers. Relief flooded through her, helping to put her at ease.
"And you shouldn't be out here now." the pink haired boy declared. "Rest."
"I'm fine." Yongguk insisted, only to be met with a very concerned look from Himchan. "My head isn't hurting anymore." Then he briefly glanced at Jisun before quietly adding, "I'll be fine for now."
No one said anything for a few moments and then Himchan sighed. "I should rest then so my leg can heal. I'll set the computer to wake me if something happens but.."
"I'll make sure you wake up if anything happens." Yongguk finished for him.
Himchan nodded gratefully and went over to the computer. He pushed a few buttons before making his way to the pod across from Yongguk's. He pushed a button on the wall behind it and the doors opened. He entered the pod and turned so he was facing outwards. He glanced one last time at her and Yongguk before closing his eyes. Then the doors closed.
"Come on." Yongguk urged and lead her over to the makeshift beds.
He took the bed on her left side and pushed them closer together. Then she laid down and he repositioned the pillow she was using to prop up her injured arm.
"How tired are you?" he questioned as he laid down next to her.
"Why?" she inquired curiously.
He scooted closer and draped an arm over her stomach. "Because you made a promise." he explained with a small smile despite the sadness in his eyes. "Before I leave, you have to tell me everything. And... And if this is the second time I get to fall asleep with you in my arms. Or is this the first time and I just wanted this so badly to imagine it?"
Her heart gave a little flutter and she laid her hand on his arm. "I'll tell you everything."