Chapter 39

Storm Rising

Jisun winced as a throbbing pain came from her left shoulder. She shifted in an attempt to get more comfortable but it only caused more pain from other places in her body. Giving up, she gave a small stretch before sitting up. She saw four of the boys huddled together in a group as they sorted items in to three backpacks.
"Finally." grumbled a voice.
She turned her head and saw Daehyun sitting next to her. He was propped against the cave wall. He had one arm lightly crossed over his stomach and hand on his bruised side.
"She's awake." Daehyun said in a louder voice.
The others briefly paused what they were doing to acknowledge her before going back to their task. Yongguk however stood and went over to her.
"The storm stopped so we're getting ready to leave." he informed her. He offered her hand and she took it as she stood up. "How are you feeling?"
"Sore." she sighed as she adjusted her make-shift sling on her arm.
Yongguk pressed his lips together as he surveyed her. The guilty look in his eyes was hard for her to miss. She forced a little smile on her face though, hoping it'll reassure him. Then it faded away as well as guilt took over her as well. "How are you feeling?" she asked.
A small smile formed on his face. He reached up with his left hand and lightly ran his fingers through her hair before cupping her cheek. "Much better."
She blushed as she shyly smiled and avoided his gaze. She brought her right hand up and held it against his hand.
"Uh... hyung." came a quiet voice.
Jisun dropped her hand and Yongguk pulled away at the same time. They turned to see Youngjae smiling at them. He had a backpack on his back and was holding out another one for the older male. Yongguk took the bag and put it on his back.
"So you're leaving me here, right?" Daehyun suddenly questioned.
Jisun's eyes widened in surprise. "What??"
Himchan put on the last backpack as he rolled his eyes. "Of course not."
"You'll be able to move faster without me." reasoned Daehyun.
"We can't leave you here though." Jisun argued.
"Five to one." Yongguk stated. "That settles it. You're coming with us."
Daehyun scoffed. "Well of course she'd say that. She's crazy. What sane person would stop running from the bad guys to feed her rabbit?"
Yongguk raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Her... Her what??"
Jisun felt herself blushing again. "Well I'm sure he was hungry." she mumbled.
There were a few giggles while Daehyun merely glared at Jongup who was trying to help him up.
"Get up Daehyun." Himchan demanded in frustration.
"You're not the leader." Daehyun countered.
"I order you to listen to Himchan." Yongguk nonchalantly said.
Daehyun directed his glare to Yongguk before glaring at Himchan.
"I change my mind." Jisun blurted out. "Leave his stubborn here."
There was a moment of silence as everyone stared at her. Then everyone except Daehyun burst out laughing.
"Filthy human." Daehyun grumbled as he glared at her. But he allowed Jongup to help him to his feet and draped an arm over Jongup's shoulders
"Alien ." Jisun muttered under her breath though she was sure he still heard her.
She knelt down and retrieved the knife Jongup had given her. The sheath was designed to be strung through a belt but she didn't have one on. She could put it in her pocket but she was worried that it would fall out. Then she eyed her sling. She slipped it inside so it rested between her arm and her body. That way she could always feel it there and draw strength from it.
"Let's get going." Himchan instructed to the group. Then he turned to Daehyun. "We rest whenever you need to."
Daehyun glanced briefly at Yongguk with a worried look and then shook his head. "Let's just hurry."
Himchan frowned in disapproval. He shared a look with Jongup who gave him a quick nod. Then everyone moved to file out of the cave one by one.
Outside, Youngjae peered up at the sky for a bit. Then he checked the map and the gps. "It should be.."
"That way." interrupted Daehyun as he pointed in to the forest. "There's a way over the mountain a few miles up."
Youngjae looked the way he pointed, at the mountain, and then back at the map. "Uh... ok."
"I didn't rely on just primitive human technology." Daehyun declared as he wrinkled his nose in disgust. "I memorized the sky markings too."
Jisun blinked at him in confusion before looking up. All she saw was blue sky above the tree tops. She glanced at Yongguk and saw him looking up too. An amused grin graced his face. Then he caught her staring at him and chuckled.
"It's an alien thing I guess." he informed her in a hushed whisper.
Everyone began walking and Jisun followed them, with Yongguk walking next to her. Tentatively, she reached her right hand over and lightly held his left hand. He in turn moved his hand so their fingers laced together. She felt herself blushing as she smiled and looked at him. He was looking at her and blushing as well.
"Will you make me a promise?" he quietly asked so the others wouldn't hear. "When we get to the ship, tell me everything." He squeezed her hand a little tighter. "Fill in the missing pieces and tell me what some of my memories mean."
She squeezed his hand back in return. "I promise."

They trudged through the forest for a couple of hours when Jongup called out that he needed a break. Then he forced a protesting Daehyun on to the ground.
Jisun let Yongguk lead her over to a fallen tree. She sat down, grateful to be off of her aching feet. Yongguk slipped the backpack off and pulled out a water bottle. He twisted the cap off before handing it to her. She smiled at him as she took it and sipped the warm water.
She glanced around at the others relaxing except for one person. She eyed Youngjae curiously as he sat on the ground. His finger kept tapping his leg nervously and he appeared to be in deep concentration as he stared at a rock.
She leaned closer to Yongguk and whispered, "Is something wrong?"
He gave her a curious look and she indicated towards Youngjae. He glanced at the younger male before pressing his lips together and looking down at the water bottle in his hands. He fiddled with the label on the bottle for a bit. Then he looked up to meet her gaze with a tiny smile on his face. "Just don't freak out." he quietly told her.
Her eyes widened a little. Whatever it was, it wasn't good. Her hand tightened around the water bottle as she tried to remain calm.
"When we escaped the house, we were in such a hurry and had to travel light." he informed her. "So we didn't bring the laptop or any of Suyun's notes."
Jisun slowly nodded her head. "Okay."
"Jongup went to the house afterwards but everything was gone." He his lips. "And Youngjae didn't memorize the formula for my medicine." He glanced down, messing with the bottle still. "The plan was to... to plug Zelo... in to the ship since he saved it in his memory chip. But now..."
A sinking feeling filled Jisun's stomach, making her sick. Without the formula, Youngjae couldn't make any more medicine. "But..."
He quickly reached over and grabbed her arm, squeezing it. "They're going to keep me unconscious. When we get to the ship. That way Youngjae has enough time to figure out the formula."
She stared at him for a while as she took several deep breaths through her nose. It was still a solution if not an ideal one.
"I have faith in Youngjae." he insisted. "And he can contact Mato for help." A shy smile spread on his lips. "We just... might have to be away from each other. For a bit."
She swallowed before nodding her head. "As long as you get better."
He nodded in agreement while he brushed his thumb over her wrist. Then Himchan called out for them to start moving and Yongguk released her arm. He twisted the cap back on his water bottle and put it in the bag. Jisun took another drink from her bottle before relinquishing it to him and he put it away as well.
As she stood, she felt her feet and legs protesting. Nothing sounded better than laying in bed for 24 hours. Except for getting Yongguk and Daehyun to the ship. That definitely sounded better.
Yongguk got to his feet and swayed a little. Then he promptly sat back down and put his head in his hands.
"Yongguk!" Jisun exclaimed and put a hand on his back.
Youngjae and Himchan quickly moved in but Yongguk waved his hand at them dismissively. "I just got dizzy. My head is fine."
Jisun glanced worriedly amongst the three of them. She lightly rubbed Yongguk's back as everyone waited. After a while, Yongguk let out a loud sigh and looked up at them. "I'm fine. It passed."
"It's cause you remembered something, right?" Himchan questioned.
Yongguk didn't say anything as he chewed on his bottom lip. Then he sighed again. "Yes. But like I said before, it's not always clear. Sometimes it's just a bunch of blurred images. Or it's clear but it's literally two seconds long so I don't know if it's real or if my head is making up."
Youngjae furrowed his eyebrows. "What was it?"
Instead of answering, Yongguk turned his head and stared at Jisun. She stiffened in surprise. Then her eyes widened. "Was it about me?" she thought.
Yongguk turned his attention back to Youngjae and shook his head. "I think it's best that I don't think about it. I might remember more and trigger a headache."
Himchan pursed his lips together and nodded. "Yeah." Then he addressed the whole group and said, "Let's go."

The ground began to slope more and more as they climbed up the mountain. Which made them slow their pace. Not only cause of the terrain but also so Daehyun didn't have to over-exert himself. That fact wasn't lost on him either as he continuously complained about the slower pace.
", you're annoying." groaned Yongguk, causing everyone to giggle.
Daehyun got quiet as he glared at the eldest. Then he stepped over a rock and noticeably winced.
"We should rest." Jongup declared.
"I'm fine." Daehyun quickly insisted.
"Shut up." Himchan ordered from the front of the group.
Daehyun directed his glare toward the pink haired man. "I.."
"Shut up." repeated Himchan, the tone of his voice urgent. He signaled downwards with his arm as he crouched. Everyone hurriedly dropped down as well and the boys' hands hovered over their knives.
"What is it?" asked Yongguk quietly.
"There's a road." Himchan replied.
"It's the road to the logging camp." Daehyun explained. Then he cursed. "We got off course. I was hoping to avoid it."
Jisun glanced over at him and saw him looking up at the sky.
"Except that would have be a huge detour." Youngjae stated. He glanced at Daehyun before giving Himchan a pointed look.
That look wasn't lost on Daehyun either. "You did this on purpose." he accused angrily.
"It would be quicker to take the road." Youngjae continued, ignoring Daehyun's remark. "For a bit anyways. Then we have to get off it."
"It would also be more dangerous." reasoned Yongguk.
Himchan shared a look with Yongguk. Then he glanced around at everyone. Nobody said a word but he nodded his head. "Alright. Road it is."
"How was that a vote?" argued Daehyun.
He was once more ignored as everyone moved forward silently. They came out of the forest and stepped on to a dirt road. It traveled up and down the mountain but at a much smaller slope. Meaning they could move quicker, which they did. They hugged the edge of the road though in case they needed to quickly hide in the trees.
They came around a bend and quickly stopped. Jisun gasped as she saw a truck parked on the road. Then Yongguk was hurriedly ushering her in to the woods. Her heart hammered in her chest as she forced herself to not panic.
Suddenly Himchan came to a halt. He turned around and eyed everyone. Jisun glanced around the woods but didn't see anyone. Then she jumped when Yongguk grabbed her arm. She looked at him but he was surveying the woods as well.
"Go." Himchan signaled.
Jisun yelped in surprise as Yongguk yanked her. They took off running, away from the others. She opened to ask what was going on but the sound of gunfire silenced her. Her eyes widened in fear as she stared straight ahead. Then she saw movement.
Before Yongguk could react, the person in the mask swung and hit Yongguk in the head with a branch. Jisun screamed as let go of her hand and crumbled to the ground. She took a few steps back until someone grabbed her from behind. She tried to free herself but they grabbed her left arm and pulled. She let out another scream, in pain, and stopped struggling. Then she noticed Yongguk slowly getting to his knees.
He glared past her and at the person holding her. "Hurt her and it'll be the last thing you do."
She heard a chuckle behind her before her left arm was pulled. She quickly bit down on her lip to stop herself from screaming. Then in one swift movement, Yongguk lunged.
She was thrown to the ground and landed hard. She squeezed her eyes shut as she wince. Then she quickly used her right hand to push herself up. She saw the person who had been holding her fall right before the branch connected with Yongguk's head once more. Yongguk's head jerked to the side as he fell heavily to the forest floor.
"Yongguk!" she shrieked and hurriedly moved to him. There was a spot on his head that was bleeding and his eyes were closed. She shook him but he didn't move. Then she froze as she felt something touch her head. She slowly turned and saw the gun pointed at her, causing a chill to travel down her spine.
"If you don't want anything to happen to him, you better cooperate." the guy threatened. He wore a ski mask as well so the only thing she could see was his eyes and his lips.
"Holy !"
She turned and looked at the third person. They were knelt down by the person Yongguk had attacked.
"That freak snapped his neck!" the masked girl exclaimed in shock.
Jisun pressed her lips together and swallowed thickly. Then her right arm was grabbed and she was yanked to her feet.
"Come on." the man ordered.