A Drunk Toad

Twist Of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twist Of Fate

Chapter 57

A Drunk Toad

 

There was a silence at the dining table as the three of you ate your breakfast. It was finally Friday, and the festival had come to an end.

You were back to your regular routine waking up early, getting ready for work, getting Ki Joon ready for work, the usual.

Ki Joon ate his cereal. Yongguk ate toast with jam. You ate your yoghurt with fruits. It was a usual morning, but suddenly Yongguk cleared his throat and ended the silence.

Your eyes drifted to his sea dark eyes and locked with his. He rubbed his neck and his his adam’s apple as he gulped.

“There is a company dinner tonight. I will be home late. Is It alright with you?” He asked as he gazed into your eyes.

You stared at his face as he quietly looked into your eyes. You wondered from when he began to ask for permission. He hadn’t done that before, you were certain. You blinked your eyes, thinking.

“Because you will be alone with Ki Joon, and you will have to tuck him to bed.” He added and you realized that you had been quite for too long.

“Right.” You said and your gaze drifted down.

Company dinner? Does that imply that he will be drinking with his co-workers tonight? What about that secretary, will she be there too? Will he be drinking with her? But why do I even care?  

Your gaze drifted back to him, but he ate his food in silence and took a sip of his coffee afterwards. You frowned, wondering about the possible answers to the questions in your mind.

Certainly, he will be drinking, that’s what people usually do at company dinners. What had you in mind for a company dinner? People usually go to a karaoke bar, drink, and get totally wasted.

“Will your friends be at the dinner?” You asked aloud.

“Yes.” He answered, not looking up.

“Your secretary?” You asked further, without thinking about it.

“Yes.” He said and his eyes finally drifted up from his food and he met your gaze. “Why do you ask?”

“Because in the time that I’ve known you, you’ve not gone out for one single company dinner.” You told.

He gazed deeply into your eyes. You moved your hand up and slid your fingers through your hair, pushing your long dark locks to the side. He didn’t look away.

“Yes, because of you know.” His eyes drifted to Ki Joon, he nodded at the boy, who sat next to you.

Ki Joon ate his food, not minding the pair of you and your talk. Ki Joon’s eyes were slightly dropped, seemed like he wasn’t entire awake. He looked precious.

“But now that he is more open and has seemingly adjusted to living with us, I thought I could go out, if you are fine with that?” He said, looking into your eyes again for confirmation.

You understood what he meant, but he was asking for your permission, which was a surprise to you. But he only did that because of Ki Joon.

“It shouldn’t be a problem, I’ve gone out before and gotten home late, and you took care of Ki Joon then.” You mentioned, and he nodded.

“Right.” He said.

You nodded again. He looked at and you gave him a little smile before you lowered your head and took a spoonful of yoghurt in your mouth.

Yongguk is going to a company dinner where there will be women, he will be drinking, possibly getting drunk and.. I should shut my mouth, or my mind!

Yongguk looked down again. This time, he looked in his phone with furrowed brows, he pursed his lips and hummed deeply. He seemed to be thinking deeply.

I wonder when that anniversary party is?

“When is it your company’s anniversary party?” You asked.

“In a few weeks, I’ll let you know in good time.” He said with his eyes on his phone.

He let out another deep sound, his brows furrowed deeper and then he moved his hand up, slipping his long and slender fingers through his hair that seemed to have grown longer. He pushed his bangs back and let out a sigh.

He looked handsome, extremely handsome whenever he did that. Would other women get the chance to see him push his long bangs back ily like that tonight?

You clenched your jaw. You frowned and lowered your gaze. You were getting way ahead of yourself. You sighed.

“Can I have more cereal?” Ki Joon asked, getting your attention from Yongguk.

“Of course, baby.” You said and you handed him the cereal box.

He took it and refilled his bowl and added milk afterwards. Then he added some of the cutout fruits onto his cereal and began to eat. He munched on the food, you could hear his munching in this silence.

Your eyes were stuck on Yongguk, who seemed to be frustrated for some reason you didn’t know, but you figured it might be work related. He let out a deep sigh.

“Is everything okay?” You asked.

“Yes.” He replied shortly.

His answers were so short, but they were that often. You didn’t ask further and then he stood up abruptly.

Your eyes followed his movements. He headed to the washing machine and put his plate in. Then he turned around and looked at you from where he stood. You froze, when he caught your gaze, but it was too late to pretend like it was a coincidence.  

“I have to leave early for work, something came up..” He paused, when he looked into your deep gaze. “Can you take Ki Joon to nursery?” He asked.

“Don’t stress and go to work.” You said.

The frown he had on his face somehow disappeared at your words. He breathed deeply and nodded. You didn’t say anything afterwards. He seemed to be in a rush now.

He walked up to Ki Joon and squatted beside him. “I will be home late tonight, so you have to listen well to mom and don’t go to bed late, okay?” Yongguk said.

His usual deep voice turned into a honey smooth tone, sounding so warm and affectionate. You felt your heart clenching.

“You have to give a goodbye kiss.” Ki Joon said sweetly.

The little boy reached his small hands out, cupped Yongguk’s cheek and gave him a light smooch on the lips. Yongguk pulled back with a deep and heartfelt laughter that made his chest vibrate.

“You make your dad’s heart flutter.” Yongguk chuckled, and the little boy giggled.

“Say goodbye to Sera too.” Ki Joon ordered eagerly.

The little boy tugged at Yongguk’s collars, urging the older man up on his feet and towards you. He gave Yongguk a light puff on his back, making him stagger forward.

For a second, your eyes widened. You would never get used to these unexpected situations which Ki Joon put the pair of you in. sometimes, it made you wonder if this kid was just way smart for his age.

You tensed up in your seat, preparing yourself, when Yongguk stood up. He cleared his throat and strode towards you.

You looked up at him, keeping your eyes locked. You couldn’t move, blink your eyes, or even dare to breathe as he leaned down to you, narrowing the gap between the pair of you. Your heartbeat began to accelerate. He placed one hand on the island as the inches between you got smaller.

You had expected a kiss on the lips from him, but you tensed, when you felt his plump and soft lips on your cheek. You kept your eyes closed. His lips felt warm against your skin.

You breathed deeply but slowly, not wanting him to discover what this little act made you really feel deep down, make your heart shake and jump. You didn’t want to get exposed. This was just an act. You told yourself.

He pressed a subtle and tender kiss on your cheek. It was just a small and light kiss. When he broke apart, you opened your eyes to see him, but he had already turned his back around and was headed out of the kitchen.

“See you tonight.” He said in the hall and left the house.

You sat there on the chair in the kitchen with your little boy, who continued to eat his healthy cereal for breakfast whilst your heartbeat slowly turned to its regular pace.

Ki Joon went to kindergarten with his backpack on, he was energetic and spoke a lot about Bora. After the festival had ended, he and Bora got a lot closer and seemed to be hanging out more.

You wanted them to keep that connection and friendship going on even after the festival had ended.

“Do you want to invite Bora home sometime?” You asked in the car on your way to his kindergarten.

Your eyes flickered up to the rearview mirror and you looked at his reflection. You saw his eyes lit up and he nodded.

“Can we do that, can she come home and play with me? She can play with my toys. I will share my toys with her.” Whenever he spoke fast and eagerly, his voice turned higher, and you laughed.

“I have to speak with Bora’s parents first and make a playing appointment with them.” You said.

“I would love that!” He beamed, and you laughed, unable to hide your reaction at his enthusiasm.

You parked the car, got out and helped Ki Joon out. He jumped down from his seat, stepped his feet on the ground and looked towards his kindergarten with beaming eyes. He spoke of Bora again, asking aloud if she had arrived at the nursery yet.

He was so infatuated by her that it made you giddy to see this new sight to him and see his personality blossom even more because of this little girl.

You opened the door and had to remind him to walk carefully and not run inside the kindergarten and that running inside is forbidden. He stopped abruptly and immediately apologized.

“I forgot. I am so excited to meet Bora.” He said and his round apple cheeks flushed.

“Its okay sweetheart.” You said and guided him to his closet.

He took off his shoes, placed them neatly in his closet along with his backpack, and he put on his slippers. Then he took a hold of your hand and made you follow him to his classroom.

“Bora?” He piped out when he entered the room.

You pursed your lips, suppressing your giggles as he kept on calling her name. It was just too sweet and loving. You really hoped that Yongguk could see this.

“Bora?” He called out once more as he entered the playroom for the ‘play kitchen’ area.

Suddenly, you saw a little girl in a white dress that flowed, and she rushed from another room and into the room where you stood. 

Ki Joon let go of your hand, for a second, you felt disheartened that he had forgotten you, but then you saw how he and his friend hugged each other.

They jumped on their feet, greeting each other with a tight embrace. You melted at the sight and couldn’t feel disheartened by coming in second place for once.

“Ki Joon, mom will leave now after greeting your teachers.” You cooed.

“I want a kiss before you go.” He said.

You stared at him for a moment, wishing in that moment that you could just pick him up, leave, and have him for yourself for the whole day, and not go to work, but that wouldn’t work. He won your heart all over again with that sentence.

“Of course.” You said and squatted in front of him.

He leaped in your embrace and pressed a quick smooch on your lips. You could have cried of joy. You weren’t used to getting this strong affection from him.   

Lately, he had been showing you and Yongguk more affection. He had even given Yongguk a kiss this morning before he left for work.

Maybe, soon he would call you for ‘mom’, and Yongguk for ‘dad’, that would be a wish come true. But for now, you had to take things at his pace.

It has been the main intention since day one, to follow things at Ki Joon’s pace and not pressure him.

“Take care sweetie, and don’t forget to listen to your teachers, and be sweet to Bora.” You said and he nodded.

“Ki Joon is really sweet to me.” Bora said.

“I am glad to hear that sweetheart.” You said.

She walked up to you and wrapped her little arms around your waist. You let out a gasp of surprise at the sudden act of affection from this cute little friend.

No wonder, Ki Joon adored her. She was so sweet. You slipped your arms around her and patted her back tenderly.

“Have fun you two, don’t be mischievous.” You said, and they giggled together coyly. You suppressed your laughter and got up.

Ki Joon’s teacher Soo Jin was seated at a table with a few kids, reading a book, and you headed towards her. Her eyes quickly met yours, then she excused herself and got up from her chair.

“I’m sorry to interrupt your reading.” You said.

“No worries.” She quickly replied.

“I was wondering if I could have Bora’s parents’ number. I’d like to arrange a meeting for the two.” You said.

“What a lovely idea! The teachers and I were speaking about it the other day. We’ve noticed that the two have become close friends, and they could really have a good time meeting at each other’s home.” She said.

“I’ve noticed them getting closer too, and I think it’s important to help Ki Joon maintain these bonds he creates with his friends.” You told.

“Of course.” The teacher nodded and told you to wait as she would go get the number for you, and you thanked her.

Ki Joon would be happy upon knowing this, but you had to get in contact with Bora’s parents first and get their approval. You hoped that they would allow Bora to visit your house.

You don’t think that Ki Joon is at the stage yet, where he can stay at other’s house without you or Yongguk, so it would only work if Bora could be at your own house.

The teacher returned shortly after with a number written on a post-it. You thanked her once more and placed the paper in your bag.

“I hope you can arrange a meeting for Bora and Ki Joon. The two of them would get so much out of this.” She said, and you nodded, agreeing.

“I hope so too.” You said with a smile, and the teacher gave you an encouraging smile in return.

“Bora’s parents are nice people, so I am sure they would agree.” She said, making you feel at ease.

“Thank you again.” You left the place and headed to work.

~❋~

The white Audi drove into the parking lot, the roof was pulled down, and beamed under the light of the sun rays. It was evident that he has washed his car before coming out. It shone brightly.

You couldn’t wash of the smile from your face, when he got out of his car, took his black shades off, looking effortlessly cool, and headed up to you with a boyish smile on his face.

You walked towards him, meeting him halfway, and as soon as you were in a close range, he pulled you in for a hug. You let out a squeal as your body got crushed by his big muscles.

“Taecyeon!” You whined.

“How can you be busier than me? I manage a company.” He didn’t even sound mad as he hugged you tighter, squeezing you with his strong arms and muscles.

You breathed in deeply and patted his back, telling him to let go before your bones get crushed by him. He finally took a step back but flashed you a coy grin, and you rolled your eyes.

“I’m a mommy now.” You remined him, and he let out a deep sigh.

“That’s no excuse.” He grunted with a sullen look, making you wonder how a manly man like him could look like a hurt little boy.

You flashed him one of your sweet-innocent smiles, and fluttered your long lashes, trying to look cute to make him forgive you, even though you hated acting cute.

However, his face contorted at your expression and he looked not so pleased. He moved his hand out and covered your face with his palm, and you groaned.

“Don’t give me that puppy- look, it doesn’t work on me, and you hate that expression.”  He said with a deadpanned look and you pouted, making a worse look and he breathed in after air.  

“Alright-alright, I’m sorry for not calling much. I will do better.” You breathed out aloud.

Your lips curved down, and you looked the other way, breathing in deeply. There was a moment of silence. Taecyeon suddenly became quiet, when the atmosphere became tense.

“It’s not like I deliberately vanish. It’s just that after work, I need to cook, clean up, and take care of Ki Joon, and I feel shattered every day.” You mumbled underneath your breath.

You let out a gasp, when he slipped his arm around your shoulder and drew you in for a side hug and he marched towards his car.

“Never mind what I said, let’s go pick up Soomin.” He said with a smile.

You narrowed your eyes, eyeing him intently, and he didn’t seem upset any longer nor mad. It seemed like he tried to avoid it now. You smiled to yourself.

“So, you are not mad at me? And you don’t think I’ve been a bad friend?” You had to ask to know.

You looked up and deeply into his chocolate brown eyes. He tightened his jaw, tipped his head to the side as he gazed deeply in your eyes. He was quiet for a bit. He hesitated. You gasped.

“You are mad.” You said.

“No, I’m not, and you are not at bad friend. I should be better at staying in touch with you.. and Soomin too.” He said quickly as he looked up at the clear skies.

“If you’re not mad, you’re hurt.” You said, and he glanced back at you for a second.

You pursed your lips, grinning, because Taec couldn’t stay mad for too long, when you just acted a bit cute, that was all it took. You giggled.

“What?”

“Nothing.” You said quickly, but he frowned, staring at you.

“What is it?” He repeated.

You moved closer and wrapped your arm around his torso. He tensed but laughed at you. You squeezed him tighter, smiling.

“Let’s go get Soomin, so we can pick up Ki Joon together.” You added and got inside his car.

Taecyeon got in the driver’s seat and you glanced out at the parking lot where your car was parked. Taecyeon had been adamant on wanting to pick you up after work, even though you had gone to work in your car.

“Don’t worry about your car, I can drop you off at your work tomorrow morning.” He said.

“It’s okay. I can ask Yongguk.” You said, and he became silent.

“Alright then.” He said.

For a while, Taecyeon remained silent and you gazed out the window at your side, looking at the passing streets.

“It seems like you’ve gotten closer to Yongguk.” He said.

“What makes you think that?” You asked.

“Because he apparently drops you off at your work.” Taecyeon said and you became silent.

You kept staring out, you pursed your lips, wondering about why your face was turning warm, and your ears started to burn.

There was nothing embarrassing about what Taecyeon said, so you didn’t get why you were becoming jittery. So, what if Yongguk sometimes drops you off at work? It doesn’t mean anything, he is just being friendly.

You rolled the window down, allowing the fall breeze to sway inside and dance through your hair. You took in a silent but deep breath. The wind met your warm cheeks, cooling you off.  

“I think we’ve gotten closer, because of our teamwork regarding Ki Joon’s upbringing.” You said after having been silent for a while.

When you said it aloud, it somehow sounded like a business deal. You frowned, wondering if you should have phrased that differently.

“And it’s not because of something else?” He asked.

This time, you tipped your head to the side, looking at his face, but he had his eyes on the road, his hand on the steering wheel, and he didn’t flinch for a second.

“What do you mean exactly?” You asked.

He leaned back in his seat, his grip on the steering wheel tightened. You noticed that as his veins on his hands became visible. He tipped his head, pondering.

“You don’t talk negatively about him anymore.” He said.

“I really can’t seem to find anything negative lately.” You said, and he nodded.

“Well, I guess it’s a good thing.” He said with a smile, and you agreed.

“Besides, we shouldn’t argue, Ki Joon is a sharp kid, he takes notice of a lot of things around him, and we don’t want to put in him in any bad situation because we disagree at times.” You explained.

“I understand. You really do a good job of raising him.” He said and smiled at the latter part.

“You know exactly what to say to make people soften up.” You laughed, and he grinned.

“What can I say, I know how to make people smile.” He chuckled.

You rolled your eyes at his confident comment and brazen boyish smile. Nevertheless, his silly jokes made you smile, to which his grin would grow.  

When Taecyeon pulled the car over outside of Soomin’s workplace, she rushed towards the car, opened the door, and jumped into the backseat hurriedly, breathing heavily.

“Go to a toy store.” She ordered, nudging Taecyeon’s shoulder and he tipped his head to the side, staring at breathless Soomin.

“Why?” He asked.

“Drive.” She ordered with a deadpanned look.

“Soomin, you don’t need to get Ki Joon toys.” You said with a frown and she hushed you.

As Soomin had ordered, Taecyeon took you to the city and you walked down the street, passing by multiple cafes.

Soomin knew just where to go and led the way. You entered the mall and Soomin hurried in her steps.

Even though you thought it was needless to get Ki Joon a gift, she just wouldn’t accept it. She wouldn’t take no for an answer. You pursed your lips, smiling at your friend.

Your friend Taecyeon walked beside you, and your eyes flickered up to him, when his hands your arm, getting your attention.

“I think I have to step up the game, she will win Ki Joon over completely, and I’m afraid he’ll forget his uncle.” He said with a worried look in his eyes.

You pursed your lips into a thin line, suppressing your laugh. He wasn’t being serious, right? You stared at his unbending look and realized that he was indeed serious.

“You two will make him get used to getting gifts, this is bad.” You groaned.

Taecyeon let out a deep chuckle, reached his arm around your shoulder and drew you towards him.

Your eyes shot out and you noticed some glances by women, who eyed Taecyeon intensely whenever you walked past them.

“Yah, let go.” You hissed in a low tone, but he ignored you and kept on holding onto you. “Taec.” You hissed, and he drew you closer, making your side press up against him, and your body instinctively tensed. “People are staring, they’ll think we’re a couple.” You said in a low tone.

Taecyeon’s gaze was out front, he didn’t seem to pay attention to the fact that some people stared at you.

You kicked his side, he flinched at the unexpected act from you, but he didn’t budge and laughed it off.

“Yah, they’ll think we’re dating, let go.” You whispered as you looked up at his face.

“So, what if they think that?” He asked.

You blinked your eyes, fluttered your lashes as his chocolate dark eyes bored in yours, the corner of his lip curved up to a lopsided grin. He wasn’t usually a prankster like this.

Your expression relaxed completely, turning blank and hard. You kicked him harder this time, and he flinched away from you, and you made a face.

“It’s not funny.” You sighed and walked over to Soomin.

Taecyeon rushed back to you, he grabbed onto your shoulders and drew you towards him for a back hug. You were walking as he held onto you.

You knew that he was just being himself, and that you were the one who was acting unusual, and on an edge.

“Taecyeon.” You sighed.

What if one of his exes appears, and she’ll want to kill me. What if someone I know sees me, what if Yongguk’s family shows up and sees me, and they will misunderstand me.

You really wished that you hadn’t thought of the latter part, but you just had a bad feeling, and you were right about your stupid gut feeling.

Yongnam stood in front of you, eyes locked with yours and he had that similar hard look on his face, which his brother has.

He seemed taken back upon seeing you with Taecyeon, but you didn’t blame him. Any stranger could misunderstand your closeness and friendship with Taecyeon in such a situation, where he is literally back hugging.

In the past, you were used to getting comments by your acquaintances about your friendship to Taecyeon, but you hadn’t expected that a day would come, where you didn’t want anyone to get the wrong impression or idea of you because of your bond to your friend.

“Yongnam.” You said in a small voice, somehow sounding unlike yourself and you pulled away from Taecyeon abruptly.

Yongnam strode towards you. Your feet got glued to the ground, your eyes remained fixated at him, but he wasn’t looking at you, but at your friend, and he headed towards Taecyeon.

“Yongnam? Isn’t that Yongguk?” Taecyeon asked with a look of bewilderment.

“I’m not Yongguk, I’m his twin.” Yongnam said as he stopped in front of Taecyeon.

Yongnam reached his hand out, grasping Taecyeon’s hand and greeting him. Taecyeon clenched his jaw, when Yongnam seemingly tightened his grip on his hand and shook it firmly. You tensed up, your eyes flickered between the two, but they had unfazed looks.

“Sera did mention about a twin brother, you two really do look alike.” Taecyeon said with a little smile on his face.

Your eyes flickered down to their hands that were still gripped firmly. You cleared your throat, and Yongnam released his grip and took a step back, looking at you with a sweet smile.

“It’s been a while, Sera.” He said.

“It has.” You said.

“Natasha mentioned that she saw you at the festival, and she said that she had a little word with you about my brother.” He said suddenly and you nodded, not knowing what to say, and you could feel Taecyeon’s gaze on you.

When a moment of silence passed by as you looked at Yongnam without saying anything, he gave you another smile.

“Is he at work?” He asked, and you nodded.

“I’m out with my friends, we are going to get Ki Joon after buying something, but I don’t know what.” You told.

“You don’t know what you are getting?” He asked with a confused look.

“My friend wants to get something for Ki Joon.” You told.

“Where is your friend?” He asked, and you looked around you in search for Soomin, when she finally showed up with an annoyed look.

“Why did you guys sst- Oh!” Soomin stopped mid-sentence at the sight of the man in front of her.

Soomin stopped in front of Yongnam, eyed him with open mouth, and quickly bowed, her cheeks flushed at her reaction, and Yongnam bowed.

“I’m sorry, I thought you were Yongguk. I’ve not met him yet, but you look like him.” She said.

“I’ve been told.” Yongnam said with a smile.

“I’m Soomin, Sera’s friend.” She grabbed his hand and shook it.

“I’m Yongnam.” He shook his hand with a tender smile.

Soomin’ eyes seem to beam a lot, remarkably. You narrowed your eyes, watching her. However, Taecyeon stepped beside her, and placed his hand on her shoulder.

You controlled your expression, but you wanted to smack Taecyeon for doing that in front of Yongnam.

Yongnam didn’t need that cold treatment from Taecyeon. It wasn’t like Yongnam is a bad guy that he needed to protect Soomin from him.

But then again, Taecyeon would always have his guards up around any guy that was near you and Soomin, and he had always been a protective friend.

You cleared your throat loud and clear, making them all look at you. You felt the need to apologize on behalf of your ‘bodyguard’ friend.

“Sorry, Taecyeon is too protective of us.” You said with an apologetic smile, but Yongnam didn’t look bothered, and simply shook his head.

“A good

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter