Family (part 1/2)

Twist Of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twist Of Fate

Chapter 66

Family (part 1/2)

 

The light entered the room waking you up from your sleep. Despite how last night turned out to be, you had managed to get enough sleep and your body felt much lighter.

Nothing was better than your bed and home. Your eyes drifted out and a smile appeared on your face, when you discovered that Ki Joon was still sleeping.

The sudden sound of a deep voice made you turn to your other side, your eyes widened like saucers, when you found Yongguk in bed beside you.

You blinked your eyes multiple times, wondering whether you were hallucinating and making things up in your mind. You stared for a moment, stunned.

When it dawned on you, you breathed in hard, clenched your fists, fighting back the incredible urge to kick him off the bed.  

His long hair was tousled, covered his eyes and his dark lashes. Though you were raging of anger inside you and had an immense need of kicking him off the bed.

It would be the best way to wake him up from his sweet little dreams. He seemed so peaceful right now.

Kicking him off the bed is what he would deserve for what he had done to you last night. You had never felt so humiliated before in your life.

Closing your eyes, you inhaled, and exhaled deeply few times to calm yourself. You wouldn’t forgive him so easily for this one.

But you were better than this to act on your emotions and do petty stuff like wanting to kick him off the bed, which he truly does deserve.

It wasn’t like you to feel so petty. You huffed out, staring at his sleeping face, and you became still.

Just like Ki Joon, he looked innocent like an angel in his sleep. You scrunched your face, when another thought creeped into your mind. He had returned.

After all, at one point during the night, he came back to sleep in the room with Ki Joon and you. You tensed up at this thought.

Now, why did this sole thought suddenly overpower the other negative thoughts you just had about him a moment ago. You sighed, feeling hopeless.

No matter how angry you were at him, it didn’t change what you felt for him. You turned over, staring out at the blank ceiling, wanting to curse aloud, but you had to keep your anger bottled in.

It still didn’t change what he has done. Even though he decided to return. He had still let you down.

Carefully, you pulled the duvet off your body and slipped out of bed cautiously, not wanting to make any sounds or sudden movements and risk waking either of the two sleeping boys.

Surprisingly, you had managed to take a full shower, and by the time you stepped out of the bathroom with clean clothes on, the two boys were still asleep.

It was past nine am. You dapped your wet hair with the towel as you peeked into the room towards the bed.

You stood still for a moment. Your eyes fell upon Yongguk. Yongguk had moved closer to Ki Joon and the two slept together.

Usually, Ki Joon would be up early. It seemed like he needed more hours of sleep to overcome this. You felt your chest tightening at the memory of yesterday.

No more crying. You mentally told yourself. You needed to keep your chin up. At sudden situations Ki Joon needed you.

Hence, you had to stay strong for your boy. You nodded to yourself. It wasn’t only Yongguk’s job to be the rock of the family and the pillar.

Leaning against the door frame, you sighed as you suddenly thought of which role and function Yongguk had in this household.

The one who kept everyone grounded and safe. Yongguk really was the rock. He had dealt with this whole situation so well and had even tackled your emotions.

Even last night, when you had been so emotional and wanted to cry over and over, he chose to kiss you to make you forget the pain.

To make it worse, it had worked. He took your mind from things, even if it just was for a short moment. You forgot about it all.

That was likely the most frightening part of it. To know that someone could make you feel this way, like a drug.

You clutched your blouse to your chest as the vivid images crossed your mind, and a sudden shudder traveled up your back, you trembled.

Instantly, you shook your head, when you realized how he was infiltrating your mind again. You sighed deeply and closed the door, thinking you should stop with the staring. He was still asleep.

“I am the toad.” You sighed in a melancholic voice with empty eyes.

Then you headed downstairs. You had to do your usual things on your day off which are, make breakfast, plan the day.

Be normal, not act different, was what you had to do. Doing the opposite would most likely make Ki Joon uncomfortable. You didn’t want the latter part to happen.

The soup was boiling, the rice was cooking, you had run out of kimchi, which . You were stirring the meet that you were cooking, adding seasonal onto the meat. Your hair had you tied up in a bun.

Slow music was playing on your speakers. Listening to music was another way of distracting your mind than what Yongguk chose to do. You shuddered, thinking about it again.

When you turned around with the hot pot with soup in, about to pour the soup in a bowl that laid on the counter, you stared out, nearly getting a shock.

Surprisingly, you managed to keep your stance, a blank unfazed expression, when your eyes met Yongguk’s deep gaze. He was standing not far from you, looking at you.

“Good morning.” He said with that low-husky morning voice.

You looked away. Placed the pot on the counter and proceeded with pouring the soup in the bowl.

The steam filled the air and the flavor infiltered your nostrils. It smelled great. You inhaled the scent, cooing, hoping this soup would make Ki Joon relax.

You were about to turn around, to the other food that was cooking on the stove, when Yongguk strode to your side, brushing your side with his, making you stop.

“I said good morning.” He repeated. This time, his voice had gone an octave lower.

Once again, you ignored him, and were going to walk forward, but he was stubborn, stopped in front of you, blocking your way, forcing you to meet his stare, those intense eyes of his.

You looked up, meeting his gaze coolly. Then he clenched his jaw, the moment you faced him with that cold look in your eyes.

He took in a breath, causing his warm breath to fan your face that was how close he stood to you. That thing about not acting petty. You tossed those thoughts in the bin the moment you saw him. Logics? That too.  

One way or another, he had to know that you were not going to accept this. He had to know what he had done, was over your boundaries.

“About last night-”

“Was a mistake?” You finished.

“Kwon.” He breathed sharply.

“Bang Yongguk, you invite women and then you let them down, is that the kind of man you are?” You asked straight-out.

“You.” He stepped forward, closing the gap between you.

His eyes bore in yours intensely, holding your gaze. You couldn’t move away. His face hardened like granite. You waited for whatever hurtful things he was about to reveal.

No matter what he would say now, it would hurt your feeling. That look in his eyes revealed in all.

“Were in an emotional state and I should have chosen a different way to console you.” He said.

Your eyes turned white. Your skin paled. Your lips parted. This was a low blow which you hadn’t expected. You took a step back.

If he was so cool about this, then you shouldn’t unveil your true feelings for him. In the end, he would let you down. You had turned your back around, not wanting to look at him.

“I need to finish cooking.” You stated as you walked past him and over to the stove. You turned off the stove, but you heard his steps, following you.

“Tell me why you make so much food and also cook for me, but you can’t let me pay for you sometimes?” He asked.

You turned around, facing him, not prepared to discover him standing too close to you again. You stood close to the warm stove, and suddenly, he grabbed you by your hips, pulled you over and away from the stove.

It was those little things which he did that did something to you. You couldn’t think of that right now as you had to answer his absurd question.

“Yongguk, seriously. Do you think I would ever only make food for me and our kid? That is such a selfish way of thinking.” You stated.

“That’s how I feel, when you don’t want me to pay for your dinner.” He hissed.  

You stiffened, taken back.

“I know you are an independent woman, a feminist. But I feel like a bad man if I don’t do this for you.” He said, confronting you.

Surprising you further.

“So next time I pay for your dinner, or when we go out to eat, I pay, because you cook for us at home.” He spoke as he leaned down to you.

“Yongguk.” You blinked your eyes.

“Yes?” He raised a brow.

“Last night you said we could split the bills.” You reminded.

“Then will you only cook for yourself?” He asked.

“That’s an absurd similarity.” You furrowed your brows.

“What sweetheart? Are you still mad?” He asked in a sudden silky deep voice.

“Damn you, yes I am.” You fired back, pushing your hand on his chest, making him stagger back.

He pulled away by your push, placed his hand on his left peck where you had pushed him, his eyes returned to you, taken back.

“You can’t just kiss me and walk away. Find another way to console me then. To me a kiss is very..” You paused. Your voice not wavering.

Though for you, it had meant a lot, it seemed like for him it had been meaningless, and that you couldn’t tell him.

He straightened his posture.

“Personal.” You said. Your voice turned smaller against your accord.

He took a step towards you, but your lower back suddenly hit against the counter behind you, and you looked up into his eyes.

Yongguk froze, when he saw you move away from him. You didn’t know why you backed away. He stood still, looking at you with those dark eyes that you couldn’t decipher.   

“I shouldn’t have made the same mistake.” He said underneath his breath.

“What?” You asked confused.

You saw his lips move, heard him mumble something. But didn’t know what he said. He whispered something.

“Nothing.” He said as he took a step back. “I will go check on Ki Joon.” He said and strode off before you got to reply.

~❋~

The dining table was set with the food and dishes. Yongguk had returned shortly after with Ki Joon.

None of you spoke about last night’s incident between the pair of you again. You decided to bury it. But not forget it. The pair of you had to be there for Ki Joon.

Once the breakfast finished, you watched Ki Joon walk over to the couch where his stuffed animals were. He sat in the couch and hugged his plushies.

“I was thinking of calling our families.” Yongguk ended the silence.

Your attention drifted from Ki Joon and to him. He somehow stood beside you. You hadn’t even noticed his presence.

“Yes, we have to.” You said as you brushed your arm, thinking of your parents.

“Who should we call first?” He asked.

“If you call your parents and inform them first, mine are going to question why they were informed later, if they discover this.” You stated.

“I think my family will think the same.” He said.

“I’ll call my family, and you can call yours.” You told.

“Are you going to be alright with that?” He asked as his eyes bored in yours.

“Yes.” You said, but he remained still, not moving away from you.

Somehow, your hand moved out against your own accord, you grabbed his hand, squeezed it and he stood still for a bit, but then he gave your hand a light tug.

“I’ll be right here.” He said.

“Go make the call.” You stated.

He nodded, took a step back, bringing his phone out of his pocket, he dialed a number and strode off.

You had dialed your father’s number. You decided to call him and not your mom, knowing her, she would panic. You were a lot like her.

Your eyes drifted out as the phone was ringing. You met his gaze. He stood in the corner of the room, looking at you.

“Hello?”

“Dad?”

“Yes, my dear. We haven’t heard from you in days. How are you?” He asked in his warm voice.

“Dad.” Your voice started to tremble.

There was silence. You didn’t know for how long you were quiet. Your dad kept asking you what was wrong. You couldn’t form the words. You knew he would get scared.

“Dad.” You repeated in a trembling voice.

“Are you alright honey, tell me what happened.” He said in a calm voice.

Another moment of silence passed by. You closed your eyes, breathing deeply, gathering yourself. You opened your eyes, and looked out, but suddenly, you couldn’t see Yongguk.

“It’s about Ki Joon.” You managed to say, when suddenly, Yongguk grabbed your arm, pulling you away from the kitchen.

Yongguk led you to the hall, making you wonder why. Holding his hand, you followed him without a word.

You figured he brought you away from the kitchen so that Ki Joon wouldn’t have to see you sad. You would never let Ki Joon see you in a vulnerable state.

That hadn’t crossed your mind in the situation until Yongguk appeared, grabbed your hand, and pulled you away. 

The moment you entered the hall, you turned around, and leaned against the wall.

“It’s okay.” Yongguk whispered as he bent down, staring into your eyes, grabbing onto your shoulders.

With the phone to your ear, your eyes drifted to his. He was suddenly holding your hand, squeezing it.

He looked into your eyes with a gentle look. Then you gathered yourself with your phone to your ear. You heard your dad calling your name repeatedly.

“Dad. The day before yesterday, Ki Joon’s kindergarten called us.” You began in a trembling voice and you tried to gather yourself.

Your father became quiet in the line, waiting for you to finish what you had to say. Yongguk was there, in front of you, supporting you. Your eyes were locked, and he gave you a little nod.

“He got hurt.” You said.

Yongguk squeezed your hand, when you said it aloud.

“Dad I was so scared.” You admitted.

Yongguk was looking at you.

“How is he now?” You father asked.

“He is doing better. I’m sorry for calling so late.” You said as teardrop slid down your cheek.

Quickly, Yongguk brushed your tear away with the pad of his thumb, caressing your cheek, you closed your eyes.

All he had to do was stay beside you, and you would calm down. It was a scary feeling. It was an empowering and overwhelming feeling, which you didn’t hate, not even a bit, not even the slightest.

Yongguk stayed beside you till the call was finished. Your father agreed on coming after one pm as Ki Joon needed a shower.

You had to clean the house. Your parents hadn’t been to Yongguk’s house before. Your house. Hence, you had to make sure it looked neat.

Your feet weren’t moving. You remained still. Even after the call had ended.

“See, I do know how to console you without kissing you.” He said as he tipped his head to the side, looking into your eyes. You sighed, rolling your eyes.

But you couldn’t be mad at him for this. He had helped you out. He knew you needed some support. Your hands reached out and you grabbed onto his arms.

“Thank you Yongguk.” You said softly.

“No biggie.” He said.

“Did you talk with your parents?” You asked, and he nodded.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter