Heartbeat

Twist Of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twist Of Fate

Chapter 23

Heartbeat

 

“Will you stay for a while.” Yongguk asked.

He gazed into your eyes, his eyes seemed softer, his tone was weaker, and huskier. You froze, and your eyes slightly widened as you stared into his deep eyes.

Somehow your heart began to pound. Your throat and lips felt dry, so you ran your tongue over your lips and chewed on your bottom lip.

Yongguk looked up and into your brown deep eyes. He still had a hold of your hand, and you momentarily froze upon him. His hand felt warm, his skin was burning and you noticed how his touch felt soft.

You didn’t know why you couldn’t get the words out of your mouth, and you breathed deeply and finally nodded.

He tapped on the bed, gesturing for you to sit down. You felt silly, because your heart hammered against your chest, and you didn’t know why you panicked. You hadn’t been in his room for this long before, and you finally sat down.

The covers got curled in your hands as you idly played with it, and your eyes were on the carpet. He had beige-sand colored carpet, which felt soft under your feet, and surprisingly pleasing. You rubbed your feet over the carpet, and kept your gaze down.

Yongguk finally began to eat the porridge, and the silence made your heart race even more. Yongguk took a spoonful of porridge in his mouth, and his eyes fell upon you. He frowned, when he noticed how you curled the covers in your hands.

A moment passed, and you sighed deeply and finally turned to look at him. He had finished the porridge and was about to reach out to the bedtable and place the bowl back. But you quickly leaned into him, and grabbed the empty bowl from him, you actually snatched it from him.

Yongguk froze and stared into your eyes. “Don’t move, just.. sit still.” You said quietly and placed the bowl back.

He pursed his lip and watched you as you grabbed the silver platter and placed it on your lap. You grabbed the chopsticks, and added some of the vegetables to his rice. He watched you as you mixed it all together.

Yongguk’s eyes were on you, and he narrowed them as he watched you intently. Then he tilted his head slightly.

You finally turned around and faced him. You reached the bowl to him, and he grabbed it. He began to silently eat the rice.

Yongguk was quiet whilst he ate, he was awfully quiet. It felt weird, it was unlike him. You had never seen him get sick, he always seemed so strong.

“Its good.” He said quietly, “Thank you.” You quickly replied.

“Can I get some more meat. I’m really hungry.” He said.

You stared at him. He sounded like s little kid, and your heart thudded against your chest. You grabbed his chopsticks, from his hand, in the process, your hands brushed. You looked up, meeting his gaze and stiffened.

You ignored the small skin contact, and used his chopsticks to pick up the meat, and you added it to his bowl.

“What really happened out there?” You finally asked, and he shrugged, and seemed to get annoyed at the thought of it.

“I don’t know what he was thinking, but he just drove past red light. His car slammed into mine, but his got more damaged. That-” He paused, as he nearly cursed aloud.

“He tried blaming me.” He finished, and you furrowed your brows. “What an idiot.” You exclaimed. “It was clearly his fault.” You rolled your eyes.

He chuckled, “That’s what I said.” He grinned upon seeing you get furious now.

“How can he drive like that in a neighborhood with kids. What if something worse happened.. and.. and to you.” Your voice faded at the latter part, and you couldn’t look in his eyes.

You were so scared, the mere thought freaked you out. Something far worse could have happened to Yongguk. What would you have done, if he got seriously injured.

Yongguk’s body tensed up, and he clenched his jaw, and breathed deeply. His eyes were stuck on you, and you gazed down on your lap and idly played with your fingers.

“Are you worried about me?” He asked.

You instantly looked up at him with wide eyes, your mouth opened and you tried to find words to make him shut his mouth. However, you just couldn’t. He was right, you were not just worried, but scared too.

“You were gone for a long while at the hospital for your check up.” You said quietly.

“Sera.” He breathed out, and you finally looked into his eyes.

“I’m okay. The pain is going away, I just need to eat, take my pills and sleep. I’ll be better by tomorrow.” He said, and you gave him a small nod.

“Ki Joon needs you.” You said quietly and he sighed deeply, “That’s why, I must not get sick.”

“But, I have you, Kwon. You’ll take care of me.” He chuckled, and he was back to teasing you again.

You rolled your eyes, but didn’t fight back. He was right again, you couldn’t walk out on him, somehow, you didn’t feel like leaving him alone.

Yongguk snickered, and you rolled your eyes at him, and shoved him the bowl. He quickly grabbed it.

“Eat up and get better.” You snapped, and he chuckled, because you were getting irritated again.

Then he suddenly poked your forehead with the thumb of his index finger, and your body got pushed back. He let out a light laughter. “I’m just playing with you.”

You grabbed his hand, before he pulled it back. The both of you stiffened, and you didn’t know why you grabbed his hand. Your cheeks heated up, and your face became hot. You quickly let go and pulled back.

“Stop it.” You groaned, feeling helpless. It sounded more like a plea.

He grinned and began to eat his food. Time went by, and you just sat on the bed beside him, and didn’t do much.

Yongguk soon finished eating, and you grabbed the pills and glass of water. You reached it out to him.

“Thank you.” He mumbled, and your eyebrows raised. “Oh.. He knows how to thank.” You scoffed, jokingly.

Yongguk snickered, and took the glass and pills from you. He swallowed the pills with water, and hissed afterwards. Then his body fell into the bed, tired and exhausted.

You got up from the bed, and Yongguk suddenly grabbed your wrist, and pulled you back. You gasped, as you got pulled towards him, and your hair fell onto his face.

Your eyes widened, and you blinked a couple of times. “Where are you going?” He asked in a raspy tone.

You gulped, and stared into his deep eyes. “Just to get cold water for the towels.” You said in a quiet tone, and you were relieved to discover that you could speak.

“Alright, I still need you around.” He grinned whilst he looked into your eyes.

“You seem pretty fine to me, though.” You said, and he furrowed his brows.

“Sugar, I’m just biting in the pain.”

“Is it hurting a lot?” You asked and your eyes widened suddenly.

Wait, what did he just call me? did he just say sugar.. oh my.. God.

Your body stiffened, you tried to pull away and your face was heating up more. However, Yongguk had a tight grip on your wrist. You wondered about where he got the strength from, when he was sick.

“I’ll be back.” You said quietly.

You wondered if the medicines had side effects, because he wasn’t acting like himself. But he just had some strong painkillers, how could that give side effects?

“Alight.” He mumbled, and leaned into the soft cushions.

You sighed of relief, when he let go of you and he closed his eyes and relaxed. You quickly grabbed the bucket and left the room.

As soon as you were down the hall, you inhaled deeply and exhaled. You touched your cheek with your palm, and your skin burned.

“What is wrong with me? why am I acting this way?” You sighed quietly, and hurried to the bathroom.

You filled the bucket with cold water, and gazed at your reflection in the mirror. Suddenly, you pondered about what you would have done if something bad happened to Yongguk.

“How will I raise Ki Joon without him. Yongguk means so much to Ki Joon, and he can’t lose any of us. He already lost his parents once.” You sighed, and tears welled in your eyes, and you didn’t know why you were thinking too much and getting emotional.

You shook your head, turned off the faucet and headed back to his room.

 

~❋~

 

You slowly opened the door, thinking that he might have gone to sleep. However, you were surprised to see that Yongguk wasn’t alone in the room. Ki Joon was sitting beside him, and Yongguk played with his hands.

“Why couldn’t you sleep?” Yongguk asked the boy, and he pouted. “I’m scared.”

Your eyes widened, and Yongguk quickly pulled Ki Joon into him and hugged him tightly. “I’m okay Ki Joon, I’m right here. Nothing happened.” He assured the boy, and he spoke in such a soft tone.

You cleared your throat, making your presence aware, and you walked up to the two guys. Yongguk looked up at you, and you sat down beside him.

“Couldn’t you sleep, sweetie?” You asked, and he shook his head, and you patted his head gently.

“It’s okay, Yongguk is fine. I’m taking care of him.” You assured the little boy.

Yongguk glanced at you, your eyes were on Ki Joon, and he couldn’t suppress his grin, when he heard your words.

“I want to take care of Yongguk too.” He said in a firm tone.

Your eyes widened and you smiled, and nodded. Yongguk let out a chuckle, his heart melted at the little boy’s words.

“I would love to be taken care of the two of you.” Yongguk grinned, and you gazed into his eyes, and he smirked.

“You can help me cool down Yongguk.” You said, and Ki Joon nodded.

Yongguk furrowed his brows and gazed at you. You wetted a towel and handed it to Ki Joon. “Use this and gently press it on Yongguk’s forehead.” You said, and the boy nodded, and did as you said.

Yongguk pursed his lips and he tried not to smile too much, but he couldn’t hide his smile. Ki Joon began to pat Yongguk’s forehead with the cold towel.

“Like this?” He asked and you nodded.

“That’s good.” You cooed and the little boy grinned happily, and his eyes beam, feeling proud.

“Are you getting better?” Ki Joon asked cutely, and you suppressed your squeal.

Yongguk chuckled and nodded, “Yes, all thanks to you.”

Ki Joon frowned, “What about Sera, she is also helping you too?” He asked with a small pout.

Yongguk stiffened for a moment, and then he met your gaze. You were surprised to hear that from Ki Joon. He was such a considerate and smart kid.

“Yes, what about me Yongguk?” You asked, and pouted as well.

Yongguk pursed his lips to hide his grin. He hadn’t seen you act like that, and you reminded him of Ki Joon suddenly. He burst out laughing. “You too, Kwon.” He finally said.

“Thank you.” You muttered silently, and he grinned back.

You wetted another towel, and frowned for a second. You thought of where to cool him down, specifically which body part, because Ki Joon was already patting his forehead.

Your face heated up, but you moved in, and gently placed the towel on his neck. Yongguk sighed deeply. He was totally getting pampered by the two of you.

“Aren’t you lucky to have to sweet people to take care of you.” You said, and he scoffed, “I only know one that is sweet, who is the other?” He grinned.

You tsk’ed at him, and gently slapped his arm, and he flinched at your sudden slap. Your eyes widened, thinking you caused him pain.

“I’m a patient Kwon, you can’t hit me.” He groaned.

“But Yongguk, aren’t you bullying Sera, she is sweet too. And don’t hit him, he is sick.” Ki Joon said and the both of you eyed the little boy.

Since when did he speak so much and become smart?

“I didn’t hit Yongguk, honey. I was just playing around.” You said, and Yongguk rolled his eyes.

Your heart suddenly raced, and you wondered what Yongguk would say as a reply. Ki Joon was becoming more open, and he spoke a lot more.

You liked how he become so straight forward. He was growing a lot, and it made you feel sentimental, but yet happy and proud.

You gazed back at Yongguk with a devious smirk on your face, and he clearly became flustered and didn’t know what to say. He got defeated by the four-year-old boy.

“That’s right Ki Joon, bullying is bad, but Yongguk is just playing around, right Yongguk?” You asked, since he was quiet, and you raised your brows at him.

He grinned at you. “That is right. Sera is.. sweet too.” He said, his voice became quiet at the latter part, and his smile faded, when he met your gaze.

It seemed like he hesitated, and he had a sneaky grin on his face. How could he still act that way, when he was sick and in pain? He was really something else.

You scrunched your face at him, and he grinned back at your reaction. He was such a big tease. You shook your head at it.

Ki Joon was so admirable, he kept tapping the towel on Yongguk with his small hands. He pouted in concentration, and you watched him with a smile on your face.

You shook your head, thinking to yourself, how this must look so funny to others. “You are totally getting pampered.” You said to Yongguk.

He opened his eyes and met yours. He had a small grin on his face, suppressing his laugh. You rolled your eyes at him. He clearly enjoyed it.

Then you cleansed the towel with the cold water, turned around and faced him. “I’m going to feel your temperature.” You said quietly, it was so hard to say it aloud.

Yongguk silently watched you, and you moved your hand out and gently placed it on his throat. He tensed up suddenly, and you froze and met his gaze. He shuddered, and suddenly grabbed your hand. You eyed him with curiousity.

“You are cold.” He said in a deep and husky tone.

“You are still warm.” You said quietly whilst looking into his eyes.

He was still holding your hand, and then he suddenly moved it further up. Your heart began to pound against your chest, and you wondered what he was up to.

Yongguk suddenly placed your palm on his cheek. He hummed in a low tone, and your body tensed. You swallowed hard and observed him. He had his eyes shut, and he held your wrist tightly.

His chin felt warm, and yet soft. You were surprised at how smooth his skin was, but his skin had always looked so smooth.

He still had a fever, and he breathed deeply with his eyes closed. He seemed to be enjoying how your palm was cold compared to his body temperature that was burning.

“Yongguk.” You whispered.

You tried to pull your hand back, but he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter