The Surprise Visit

Twist Of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twist Of Fate

Chapter 52

The Surprise Visit 

 

Standing outside the building with the kid next you and the lunchboxes in the bags, the realization finally hit you, that you were here, about to surprise Yongguk.

This was completely unlike you. You weren’t one to make surprises, only for your close friends and family. You had never made a surprise for Yongguk before.

For a moment, you stood still, staring out at the modern building with an industrial and minimalistic look. The building was grey, had windows on every floor. There were only three floors. The bright sun’s rays reflected through the clear glass windows.

At the top of the building was a logo made of metal and the letters read ‘CONSENT MEDIA’. Your eyes flickered to the metal door.

There was a small logo there, of something circular- two half rings meeting in the middle and one on top that pointed upwards. You narrowed your eyes. You hadn’t seen such a symbol before.  

You shook your head and looked up at the clear blue skies. You scrunched your face, wondering to yourself what in the earth you were doing here.

But then your eyes automatically drifted down to the little kid, who stood next to you, and he was looking at the building with big eyes that shone of excitement.

That’s right! This is for Ki Joon. I am totally not here because I am curious about Yongguk’s work life, how his company looks, what he does at work, who he works with, and it’s absolutely not because I want to see him, nope, totally not.

You convinced yourself and smiled brightly. This was for Ki Joon. He would be happy to see his dad’s workplace.

“Come, Ki Joon.” You beamed and finally began to move.

You led the way to the front door, Ki Joon followed suit, chirping to himself in awe as his eyes scanned the place.

“I’m so excited.” He beamed.

You took in a deep breath, wondering about how you would enter the building as you didn’t have the security code. You stopped at the entrance.

There was an intercom, and you pressed on the button that said ‘visitors. A second after, a female voice could be heard through the intercom speakers. You stiffened and frowned upon hearing a smooth and vibrant female voice.

“Who’s this, and who are you visiting?” The female voice asked.

Your lips parted but closed as Ki Joon broke out.

“This is Park Ki Joon, and I am visiting the president Bang Yongguk, and my uncles, who work here.” Ki Joon piped out, vibrantly. He jumped on his feet a bit.

There was a moment of silence.

“Mr. Park Ki Joon? Mr. Bang hasn’t planned any visits from anyone.” The woman spoke in a clear tone.

“Planned visit?” Ki Joon repeated with a confused look and his eyes drifted up to you, and you didn’t know how to respond, and looked just as confused as the kid.

“How old are you, kid?” She asked.

“I am four!” Ki Joon piped.

“Well, you need an appointment first.” She said in a firm tone.

You gasped, how could she speak like that to a kid?

“Excuse me, we’ve planned a surprise visit for Yongguk.” You finally said.

“And who’s this?” She asked.

“I am Kwon Sera, open the door, please.” You said in an annoyed tone.

You breathed in deeply, losing your patience slowly. What were you supposed to say to be let in? Didn’t she know of Yongguk’s family, Ki Joon? Had Yongguk never mentioned you, or at least, Ki Joon? You stiffened in your thoughts.

“It’s Yongguk’s family.” You added as she didn’t reply you now.

“Sorry, but we don’t let anyone in without an appointment.” She said in a firm tone,

“But.” Ki Joon looked up at you with a sad look on his face. All hopes of seeing his dad and surprising him faded. He looked devastated and hopeless.

Was the plan really going to be ruined, just like that? Ki Joon would be devastated. You had spent hours making the lunch boxes together, and he had looked forward to seeing the company.

Most importantly, he wanted to see Yongguk, and you had even taken a leave from work to do this with Ki Joon. You looked at Ki Joon with a sad look. You felt so helpless too. 

“C’mon, the kid wants to see his dad.” You let out in a frustrated tone, your voice turned louder, unintentionally.

“Kid.. f-father?” She stammered.

“Yes, I’m here with Yongguk’s son, open the door now.” You ordered in a firm tone.

There was another moment of silence. You were getting agitated now. She should know that her CEO has a kid, and she couldn’t just prevent the kid from seeing Yongguk.

“Miss. Han, open the door now.” Someone with a deep voice ordered.

You frowned upon hearing that familiar deep and raspy voice. You turned around and looked up at the young, tall man with fair skin, and captivating eyes. There was a little smile on his face, when he looked into your eyes, and hope returned.

“Uncle Himchan.” Ki Joon squealed, happy to see one of his uncles.

The door instantly opened. You stood still, staring at Himchan, and he smiled at you. Then his eyes drifted down at the lunch boxes you held. He reached his hands out and took the bags from you.

“Come inside.” He said with a smile, and you nodded.

As soon as you entered the building, you looked to your side and saw a woman at a desk. She wore a black suit with a skirt.

Her black hair was tied in a bun. She had fair skin, white as snow, her lips were red like blood, because she wore a strong red lipstick. She seemed to be in her mid- twenties.

Upon seeing Himchan strode towards her, she stood up from her desk. Her head lowered, eyes on the ground, meeting Himchan.

“Sir.” She said.

“You should have let them in, don’t you know who they are?” Himchan asked, in an aggravated tone.

He leaned forward, placed his hands on her desk and looked at her intensely- making her look into his eyes for a split second, before she lowered her gaze, and apologized deeply.

You were taken back upon seeing Himchan get annoyed and mad. You had never seen this sight to him before. The secretary bowed deeply and apologized to Himchan.

“I’m sorry, I thought it was some fans who wanted to come inside.” She said.

“Fans? This is Kwon Sera and Ki Joon, Yongguk’s family. You must have heard of them.” Himchan said, and she bowed once more and apologized.

“No sir. I thought they were some stalkers.” She said and bowed once more.

“No one from outside knows of Ki Joon and Sera, they couldn’t be stalkers or fans.” He stated.

“I’m sorry, sir. It won’t happen again. I didn’t know. The CEO has never mentioned.” She said.

Himchan just gained your respect. You smiled to yourself, liking this side to Himchan. You didn’t know that he was so protective.

He reached pulled his hands from the desk. One of his hands down and grabbed Ki Joon’s hand, when the kid stopped beside him.

“Uncle, are you mad?” Ki Joon asked.

“No, pumpkin.” Himchan smiled widely, the little dimple he had under his eyes deepened.

“Next time, they come, let them in. Don’t ask them for an appointment. They don’t need an appointment to visit the company. They are our family.” Himchan added.

“Yes, sir.” She said and lowered her head once more.

“Alright then.” He looked away and at you.

“Follow me.” Himchan said, smiling at the two.

You frowned, nodded, and quickly followed him. You were surprised to see how happy he looked suddenly, when he had seemed so angry at the secretary just a second ago.

“Wow this place is so big.” Ki Joon exclaimed as you entered the elevator.

“Thanks for the help.” You finally said, and Himchan shook his head, looking at you.

“She should have known better.” He said, and you nodded, not knowing what to say next. But then he smiled again.

“I’m glad to see that you are finally coming by.” He said with a smile. “And what’s this?” He asked as he lifted the bags, looking at them.

“We made lunch.” Ki Joon replied, and you smiled.

“I am certain our president will be delighted to see this.” Himchan laughed.

Somehow the thought of that made your face turn warm. Would Yongguk like the surprise? Or would he be bad, because you showed up without telling him.

The door to the elevator opened and you entered the hall. You looked out and spotted a beautiful art on the wall, but you didn’t have time to admire it as Himchan strode off.

“Yongguk’s office is here. Mine is on the other end of the hall.” He said, and you nodded.

“I heard that you are a shareholder of the company.” You said.

Himchan looked at you. He laughed and nodded.

“Did Yongguk tell you that?” He asked, and you nodded.

“We aren’t interrupting his work, are we?” You asked quickly.

It wasn’t late to retrieve and run away.

Himchan shook his head.

“He doesn’t have any meeting right now?” You asked.

“No, Sera, his schedule is free now. It is also lunch time. We do make sure that our president of the company gets to have his lunch breaks, although he often just works.” Himchan said.

“He doesn’t eat for lunch.” You almost exclaimed, making the older friend laugh.

“No, not really, that is why I am glad you are here to take care of him. He is quite stubborn.” He said.

“Tell me about it. I haven’t met such a stubborn man before like him. He even sleeps in his studio sometimes.” You sighed deeply.

Himchan gazed down at you, his eyes seemed different this time, beamed more and lit up. He flashes his perfect white teeth, smiling.

“You really know him well.” He laughed.

You lowered your head, looking as the ground. You shook your shoulders, not saying anything.  

I should keep my little mouth shut.

Himchan led the way. He walked further down the long hall, and you looked at the walls, spotting multiple art.

This place almost looked like an arts museum. It really seemed like Yongguk’s place. The walls were dark grey. There wasn’t much color expect for the paintings on the walls, just like your house.

“We are here.” Himchan announced as he stopped in front of a black colored wooden door.

Your eyes drifted to a metal plate that hung on the wall, on the right side, next to the door. It read ‘CEO Bang Yongguk’s office.’ You stared at it.

Suddenly, your heart began to hammer harder against your chest, when you heard Yongguk’s voice from inside the room. It seemed like he was speaking on the phone.

Himchan knocked on the door.

“It’s me.” Himchan said.

“Come in.” Yongguk announced from inside the office.

Then the door opened by Himchan, he walked in followed by Ki Joon.

You stood at the doorway and noticed the look of surprise on Yongguk’s face, when he saw Ki Joon. Yongguk put his phone away quickly, upon seeing Ki Joon in front of him. His eyes widened of shock.

Ki Joon ran up to Yongguk and wrapped his arms around him hugging him tightly. Yongguk looked down, looking stiff and surprised.

“Ki Joon, what are you doing here?” Yongguk broke out in a voice that was different, filled with surprise but clear joy.

Ki Joon laughed without saying anything. Then he got lifted by Yongguk. Yongguk pulled the little boy into him and hugged him closely.

At the sight of the father and son, you felt your heart tug. Then he pressed a kiss on the boy’s forehead, and you swooned even more. Yongguk smiled so widely that the dimples in his cheeks formed.

“Where’s mommy?” He finally asked with a smile on his face, and Ki Joon giggled, glanced out at you and about to point at you.

Something made your heart tug, was it the way he addressed you? Your heart raced for some reason. Ki Joon pointed at you. That was your cue call and you walked in.

You froze, when his eyes met yours. The smile he had on his face somehow faded, and he had a blank look. Was he surprised? Was he mad? Didn’t he like this surprise?

The thoughts in your mind were running around in a maze, getting lost.

“Kwon?” He called out finally, saying your name.

Yongguk put Ki Joon down on the floor. Then he looked back at you. He still had that same unreadable look on his face that made you feel unsure somewhat.

“Surprise.” You broke out with a small smile.

Ki Joon began to jump on his feet, unable to hide his excitement.

“We wanted to surprise you.” Ki Joon chimed.

However, Yongguk was still looking at you, not breaking off the gaze as Ki Joon went on, telling him that you had planned this together after he left for work.

You finally walked away from the door and headed to Yongguk, stopping in front of him, his eyes were still on you.

“I’ll go.” Himchan cleared his throat.

You broke off the gaze with Yongguk, turned around to tell Himchan to stop, but he left Yongguk’s office before you could stop him. 

~❋~

When you turned around to face Yongguk. His eyes were still on you, making you somehow feel like a tiny mouse. You looked away, breaking off the gaze.

Your eyes fell upon his black desk. There was a name plate made of glass and his name was carved in it, ‘CEO Bang Yongguk, consent media.’

Your eyes drifted to a frame on the wall with a white picture that read in black letters ‘artist collective- creative minds work together in pursuit of new vision’.

There was a black shelf on the wall with awards. You kept in your gasp. You didn’t know all this. Yongguk was someone so incredible. You were taken back. However, you kept a straight look, didn’t show the surprise on your face.

“You finally came.” Yongguk said.

“Yes.” You said, somehow in a small voice, which was unintentionally.

You turned around, lifted your gaze, and looked at him.

“Have a seat.” Yongguk said, and your eyes drifted to the black leather couches in front of you.

There were two leather couches placed opposite each other with a black table in between that was made of oak and had metal on top. Everything in his office was monochrome. It gave off a minimalistic and industrial look.

You walked over and seated on the couch, that felt neither hard or too soft. Ki Joon wandered around in the office in amazement, looking at the objects on the shelves. You closed your legs together and looked around you. 

Even his office had dark grey walls, the curtains were black, his desk and chairs were black. There were two office chairs placed in front of his desk.

The shelf against the wall was also made of black oak. This office was minimalistic, chic, and very much like him.

“Where are the others?” You finally asked.

“In the practice room and studio.” Yongguk said, and then he seated in front of you.

His eyes fell upon the bags on the table where Himchan had left them before leaving. You stared at them, pursed your lips, and looked back at him.

“You didn’t say that you were coming.” He told.

“It was a surprise.” Ki Joon interrupted.

The little boy walked over and seated next to Yongguk. He giggled. Then he pointed at the bags.

“We made food.” He chimed happily.

“You really did that?” Yongguk asked as his eyes somehow drifted to you.

It seemed like he had a look of disbelief on his face. Was it that hard to believe that you could do such a thing? You frowned, narrowed your eyes, and looked at him intently.

“Yes, we made the food. I didn’t buy it.” You said.

He narrowed his eyes by a millimeter, leaned back into the couch, and gazed into your eyes.

“Do you like our surprise?” Ki Joon finally asked a question, which you had in mind too, but couldn’t make yourself ask him.

Yongguk looked down at the little boy for seconds as a smile started to spread on his face, and Ki Joon grabbed onto his arm, smiling widely, when he saw the bright smile on his dad’s face. Then Yongguk looked out at you.

“I love it.” He replied as his deep eyes bore in yours.

Your body tensed. You fluttered your long lashes, looking at him.

“Can you call the uncles?” Ki Joon asked, not noticing how the pair of you were looking intensely at one another. Yongguk nodded.

“Do you want to see them?” He asked, and Ki Joon nodded.

Just then, you heard a knock on the door, and Yongguk stood up from the couch. You tilted your head to the side, still seated on the couch, you looked out.

“Come in.” Yongguk announced, and the door opened.

The secretary entered the office. Her eyes fell upon you for a second, before she gathered herself and headed towards Yongguk, who walked over to her.

“What is it, Miss. Han?” He asked.

You eyed her as she spoke with Yongguk, about work- related things, which you obviously didn’t know what was about, and then she handed him a file.

You stiffened, when you saw her hand touch his and it remained there for a second too long. You gritted your teeth. First, she wouldn’t let you in, and now she touched Yongguk.

You stood up abruptly, making the two workers look at you. You stiffened, not knowing what you were thinking, you turned around and headed to the windows.

Your eyes drifted out, but you watched the two through the reflection of the window and noticed how the secretary smiled so brightly at Yongguk.

“I will make the call in a bit and see if we can manage to hire the host.” She said, and Yongguk nodded.

You grimaced. You had no idea that Yongguk was swarmed by women like this. You looked on the floor. Did woman usually act this way around him? You wondered.

“Aren’t you the woman, who didn’t open the door?”

A smile spread on your face, when you heard Ki Joon’s question. You grinned to yourself.

“It’s not polite to let others wait too long.” Ki Joon added.

“Miss. Han, this is my son, Ki Joon, and-”

You turned around just in time, when Yongguk looked out at you, about to finally introduce you to that witch.

“I’m his girlfriend.” You said with a smile.

“Oh, I’m so-so sorry that I didn’t open the door for you. I didn’t know.” She said and lowered her head.

You scrunched face for a quick second, but then you shook your head, smiled, and waved your hand, like it was no big issue.

“You didn’t know.” You said.

“Yes, thank you for understanding, I was just following my work procedure.” She said with a smile as she looked at you, and you faked a smile.

Ugh, I could just- just ugh.

You clenched your fists at your sides and breathed in deeply, when she looked up at Yongguk with a beaming smile.

How could she smile that, when you had just told her that he is your boyfriend? You scrunched your face.

Calm down, Kwon.

“You didn’t open the door for them?” Yongguk asked aloud.

“I’m sorry sir, I didn’t know you were in a relationship.” She said.

Yongguk hummed deeply. Then he averted his eyes to you and stared at you intensely.

“I don’t like to disclose private matters at work, Miss. Han.” He said, not looking at her, and she nodded.

“I understand sir. That’s why I didn’t know of them.” She stated.

Yongguk was staring at you intently, his face was somehow hard, hard like granite, his eyes bore in yours, and he clenched his jaw firmly. You saw a muscle in his jaw twitch for a second.

You blinked your eyes, fluttering your long and dark lashes with a little innocent smile on your face.

“I apologize again for not opening the door.” She said.

“Do not make that mistake again.” He said, his eyes were still on you.

“It won’t happen again, sir.” She said.

“Alright, you are dismissed.” Yongguk said coolly as she met her gaze.

Yongguk sounded so different at work. He had a different aura, a different vibe, and an empowering voice and feel about him.

Somehow, you were reminded of the day you first met. He sounded just as cool as then. He almost looked frightening, but so alluring, just like then.

The secretary bowed before she left.

Hopefully, she will keep her hands to herself now. Hah!

You stiffened, when you saw that Yongguk was approaching you suddenly. You looked at him, unable to break off the gaze.

In the blink of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter