Courage

Twist Of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twist Of Fate

Chapter 27

Courage 

 

The sound of kids laughing and screaming filled your ears, and you almost felt like you were becoming deaf.

There were kids running around everywhere, and amongst them all, your little angel was running and laughing, playing with a group of kids.

You took a sip of your coffee, and smiled whilst watching the little boy. He was growing up too fast, and he had made a few friends in his kindergarten.

Ki Joon’s kindergarten were celebrating their anniversary, and they had invited the parents and kids for a party.

Yongguk was running a little late because of work, but he should be there soon, and you were just waiting for him to come.

You stood in the corner, feeling out of loop as you don’t know any of the parents, and you had spoken a bit with Ki Joon’s teachers.

You had no one else to speak with, and you fished your phone out of your bag. You sent Yongguk a text, asking him about how far he was.

Bang: Are you bored without me? :]

You couldn’t help but to notice his emoji and the fact that he was being so extra. You rolled your eyes upon reading his reply.

A moment passed by and you stared blankly on the screen, thinking of what to reply, when you received another message by him. He was right, and it bugged you.

Bang: Don’t worry, I am there in five minutes ;) 

He was finally being serious, and you sighed deeply.

“We meet again.”  A bright voice chimed, bringing you back to reality.

You narrowed your eyes at the unfamiliar tone, and your eyes flickered up from your screen. You looked at the woman in front of you.

That snobbish look, those full lips and round face. Her hair was loose, still short and black. The mother of the boy, whom you were certain bullied Ki Joon once, was standing in front of you.

She wore black shiny heels, a blue knee-length dress, and she crossed her arms whilst she gazed down into your eyes. She was so tall.

“I never got your name.” She said, and you nodded.

You couldn’t be bothered with her. You remembered how brazen and arrogant she was the first time you met her.

You were certain that her son had bullied Ki Joon that day, but she wouldn’t confess that. She was a mother, and you knew being a mother meant protecting your child at any cost.

She reached her hand out to you once she noticed your silence, and you had no choice but to greet her.

“I am Choi Minjung.” She smiled, and you nodded.

“I am Kwon Sera.” You said, dryly, and she nodded with a smile that never reached her eyes.

She gazed around her, seemingly searching for someone. You just wanted Yongguk to show up now and save your life from that crazy woman.

She obviously had to be here because it’s her son’s kindergarten too. You tightened your grip on your phone. You just wanted to get far from her.

Her friendliness was obviously fake, and you wondered about what she wanted. She tipped her head to the side, and looked into your eyes.

“I think my son really likes your son, he often speaks about him at home.” She suddenly said, and you furrowed your brows.

You had never heard Ki Joon speak of her son, and you didn’t even know his name. “Oh really? What’s his name?” You asked.

“Beom Soo.” She said with a smile, and you nodded. “It’s a cute name.” You said, and she nodded happily.

You gazed out, looking for Ki Joon and he was on top of a jumping castle. He jumped around with some kids, he was laughing, having fun, looking happy.

“Oh, I can see that Beom Soo is with Ki Joon.” She suddenly said.

You narrowed your eyes and you finally noticed her son. He was with playing with some other kids, bigger kids, and they seemed to be bumping into the kids whom Ki Joon was playing with.

“Look how they are having fun.” She beamed in a bright and loud tone.

You couldn’t decipher if they were playing around or not. Ki Joon suddenly moved to the corner of the mattress, and sat down. He shouldn’t be sitting down, someone could fall over him or step on him accidentally.

You hurried after him, and just when you met his gaze, that kid named Beom Soo made a jump, landing on top of Ki Joon.

“Ki Joon!” You shouted, and ran as fast as you could.

You didn’t care about all those jumping kids. You hurried on the mattress, and towards the little boy.

The other kid still laid on top of Ki Joon, and he wouldn’t move away from him. You could hear Ki Joon scream, asking the boy to move, but he wouldn’t budge from him.

“Get down from him, he can get hurt.” You raised your tone, and the kid quickly pulled back.

You grabbed onto Ki Joon’s arms, and pulled him up. Your little boy’s eyes were wide, and his lips quivered. He seemed startled, and you quickly pulled him in your embrace, and hugged him.

“It’s okay, nothing happened.” You said in a soft tone.

“You can’t just jump on other kids, especially when they are laying down. That can be really dangerous.” You said, and the bigger boy named Beom Soo pursed his lips, showing a sad look, and you sighed deeply.

“I’m not scolding you Beom Soo. You have to know that this game can get too dangerous, and you have to watch out for the other kids. You shouldn’t play too wildly.” You explained in a soft tone.

“Eeomma.” He cried out whilst looking at you, and you frowned at his unexpected behavior.

“Beom Soo, come down here. I can’t get up there.” His mother screamed, and she was suddenly standing in front of the jumping castle.

“This woman shouted at me.” He said as he crawled back to his mother, and the kid pointed at you.

You gasped aloud, baffled at the sudden change, and this kid’s audacity to lie. His mother named Minjung grabbed onto his arms and helped him get down from the jumping castle.

You finally faced her and Ki Joon was holding onto your hand. Your boy gazed down on the ground. You pursed your lips and met her fiery gaze. She was finally back to the real her.

“Did you just yell at my son?” She asked and raised her tone.

You sighed deeply and rolled your eyes. You just didn’t want to bother with her again. But she was such a persistent woman, and clearly in denial.

“And I thought were finally becoming friends.” She added with an exasperated gasp.

“Friends? We aren’t friends.” You repeated and shook your head.

“I told your son not to play too wildly. Didn’t you see how he jumped on my kid?” You asked, and she gasped once more.

“How can you say that about my son?” She raised her tone.

“I never said anything bad to him. You should tell him to be gentle with other kids, that’s all I am saying.” You said.

She tipped her head back and gasped aloud. Ki Joon suddenly tugged your hand, squeezing it tightly.

“You just won’t admit that you scolded my son for nothing.” She said.

“What’s going on here Mrs. Choi and Miss. Kwon?” Ki Joon’s teacher showed up and gazed at the two of you, bickering.

“Miss Kwon?” Minjung repeated, her eyes wandered from the teacher and to you.

You narrowed your eyes and furrowed your brows as you watched her, wondering what she wanted.

“So, you aren’t married, and you have a kid?” She gasped, and her eyes flickered to Ki Joon.

You quickly looked down at Ki Joon, and the kid met your gaze. He pursed his lips, puckering them out a bit. His eyes seemed bright and wet.

Your heart sank to your guts, when you saw his hurtful and sad gaze, and his puppy eyes. You wanted to pull her hair out of her scalp until she became bald.

However, just as you were about to speak, someone grabbed your hand, and squeezed it lightly. The familiar scent filled your nostrils, and you shuddered, when the breeze laid on you. But his warmth quickly lingered on you.

“What’s the problem here?” The deep voice purred.

You looked up at Yongguk, who was holding your hand in his.

“I just asked the same thing.” Ki Joon’s teacher named Soo Jin said whilst her eyes wandered between the three of you.

“Who are you? mind your own business.” Minjung fired back.

Yongguk tipped his head back slightly, and furrowed his brows at the sudden attack from this stranger he had never met.

“Excuse me, but I have the right to protects what’s mine.” Yongguk said.

His deep voice had become darker and deeper. The two women in front of you stared at him, surprised to hear such a deep voice. Yongguk’s comment was heavy because of his husky tone.  

“What’s yours?” She repeated after a moment, and her eyes widened. “Is that your kid, and what is she.” She asked when her gaze fell upon you.

What is she?

“Don’t you talk like that about my son’s mother.” Yongguk’s voice turned deeper. It sounded like a threat, and inside, you were jumping of joy.

He tightened his hold on your hand, instinctively. You blinked a couple of times, holding your breath.

You weren’t used to seeing this side to Yongguk, but it felt nice seeing him protect you, and stay by your side. He was just so perfect.

And mad Yongguk was kind of a really hot Yongguk. Your heart began to pound against your chest, when he began to protect you. His hand was a bit cold, but his touch was soft and his grip was firm.

“So, you have a kid and you aren’t even married.” Minjung said aloud and looked at you with a baffled look.

“Mrs. Choi, please stop this now, or I am afraid, you’ll have to leave. There are kids here and parents, please consider your words.” Ki Joon’s teacher said. “We don’t accept this kind of behavior and intolerance here.” She added in a firmer tone.

Minjung rolled her eyes, and then a man appeared out of nowhere. He had slicked black hair, he wore black jeans and an army-green colored blouse with a black blazer.

Yongguk suddenly tensed, and you winched, when he squeezed your hand more. You looked up at him, and noticed how his eyes suddenly darkened, and he clenched his jaw.

“You.” He said in a deep tone.

The stranger in front of you stopped beside Minjung, and you figured that he was her husband, and Beom Soo’s father. He crossed his arms, and glared at Yongguk.

“I see we meet again.” He said to Yongguk.

Your eyes wandered back and forth, from the stranger and to Yongguk. It seemed like they knew each other, but they didn’t have a good bond by the looks of it. They shot each other hard glares.

Yongguk scoffed at his words, and you chewed on your bottom lip. Minjung suddenly grabbed onto her husband’s arm, and looked up at him.

“It’s that woman I told you about, who once said that Beom Soo bullied her son. She scolded our Beom Soo again.” She groaned.

“Is that so?” He asked, and she nodded.

“Oh my God. I can’t believe this.” You sighed deeply.

“Can’t we just leave, I can’t bother with them.” You said to Yongguk with a tired look and tone.

Yongguk gazed deeply into your eyes. And you stared back into his eyes quietly. He wouldn’t budge, and you wondered why he just wouldn’t leave.

“Ki Joon-ah.” Yongguk said softly, calling out the boy.

He gazed down at him, and noticed that the boy was holding your hand. You furrowed your brows, wondering what Yongguk wanted to say.

“Has Beom Soo bullied you before?” He asked.

Ki Joon pursed his lips, and looked at the older and bigger kid in front of him. Then he let go of your hand, and suddenly hurried up to Yongguk.

The boy looked frightened for a moment, until he leaped into Yongguk’s embrace, making Yongguk quickly let go of your hand.

He embraced the scared boy, who hid his face into him. Instantly, Yongguk glanced up, meeting your gaze.

Your gazes locked, and you just knew what you were thinking. Yongguk stood up with the boy in his arms.

The other couple gasped aloud in choir, and the mother grabbed her son’s hand.

“We should have a talk about Beom Soo’s behavior.” Soo Jin teacher said in a low tone as she looked at Beom Soo’s parents.

She nodded at the pair of you, and you got her message. Naturally, Yongguk grabbed your hand back in his, lacing your fingers.

He pulled you forward, walking away from that crazy couple. You looked up and into his eyes, but his gaze was out front.

Ki Joon clung onto him like a koala clings on a branch. The boy felt safe in his arms, and you knew that Yongguk was safety.

You squeezed his hand a bit, unknowingly, and he somehow finally glanced down at you, but you weren’t looking at him.

Your eyes were on the boy, and he saw worry in your eyes. He knew what was on your mind, and he squeezed your hand in return, making you meet his deep gaze.

“Let’s sit down over there.” He said, nodding at the benches, and you gave a small nod as a reply.

Once you made it to the bench, Yongguk gently loosened his hold from you. You quickly took a seat, and then you brushed your fingers over your palm. Your hand felt warm after his touch, and it suddenly felt empty.

Yongguk sat down in front of you with Ki Joon next to him. The little boy was quiet. Yongguk inhaled deeply, preparing himself. He looked back at the boy who was quiet.

“Did that boy tease you before?” He asked once more, and Ki Joon finally nodded.

“He ruins my game sometimes, and also my friends.” Ki Joon said with a pout.

“Thank you for saying that. You shouldn’t be scared of telling the adults.” You said softly, and he nodded.

“Is Beom Soo in trouble now?” Ki Joon asked and his eyes widened, and he puckered his small lips, looking innocent, and yet concerned.

“No sweetheart. The teacher will just tell him to be kind, and not bully.” You assured, and Ki Joon nodded, looking relieved now.

Yongguk looked at you and he gave you a small smile. You met his gaze, and saw his smile. The dimples appeared.

He had such a sweet and innocent smile, kind of like Ki Joon. You furrowed your brows at your own thoughts.

Ki Joon was such a good kid, he even worried about a boy that . You smiled upon seeing Yongguk’s proud smile. He looked like a proud father and your heart melted a bit.

“Can I go play?” Ki Joon asked in a brighter tone.

“Yes, of course, we will be right here.” Yongguk said.

The boy nodded, and quickly took off to find his friends. As soon as he was gone, you lowered your head, and groaned aloud.

“So, she was the one who pissed you off last time?” Yongguk asked and you nodded.

“Now you know what I was talking about then. Did you see her arrogance?” You asked, and rolled your eyes, and he nodded.

“Do you know her husband?” You asked, and he nodded with an irritated look.

There was a moment of silence, and you waited for him to explain how he knew Beom Soo’s father. Yongguk rubbed the back of his neck, and pulled on his bottom lip with his teeth. He sighed, and let go of his bottom lip.

“Remember that minor car accident I was in, not long ago?” He asked whilst looking into your eyes.

Instantly, your eyes widened, your jaw dropped, and you glared into his eyes, surprised. Yongguk simply nodded back at your reaction.

“Yup, he was the guy who hit my car. That moron.” He hissed at the latter part.

“Those parents are disturbed.” You said, and he nodded in agreement.

“How dared she look down upon us, when she knows nothing about us.” You said, growing furious by the second, and you pulled off a mad face.

Yongguk leaned forward, his hand was reached out, and he suddenly ruffled your hair. “Calm down tiger.” He said with a sweet and low chuckle.

Your cheeks heated up, you glanced out and met his gaze. He pulled back and looked at you with an amused look.

“It’s not funny.” You said with a deadpan look.

“Ki Joon heard her say that we aren’t married. I hope he isn’t affected by it. He was just quiet like usual, and didn’t react.” You said in a small tone.

He heard your worry in your tone, and he sighed deeply.

“Maybe we should just get married then.” He said in a serious tone, and his deep eyes bore into yours.

Out of instincts, you kicked his knee under the table, although you didn’t mean to. A low groan escaped through his full lips, and he quickly rubbed his knee. His eyes widened, and he gazed into your eyes with shock.

“Damn it, Kwon, I was joking with you.” He grunted.

“Sorry.” You said in a small tone.

He pulled back in his seat, and shot you a hard glare. He looked mad, but quite hot. And he wasn’t actually mad at you. you flashed him an innocent smile, to which he relaxed, and shook his head.

“Marriage isn’t something you should joke about.” You muttered quietly, but he heard you clearly.

“I wonder if you are the crazy one or that woman.” He said.

“Hey.” You exclaimed, and he chuckled back.

“I’m joking, you are not crazy. You are nothing like her or any other woman I’ve met.” He said in a deep tone.

“What do you mean?” You asked with curiousity because of the latter part he said.

He shook his head, and tipped his head to the side, looking for Ki Joon. The boy was running around the playground with a group of kids.

“He has made some friends.” He suddenly said, changing topic, and you nodded with a smile.

“I’m glad you came.” You said after a moment of silence.

Yongguk narrowed his eyes slightly, looking at you with attention. You heart pounded deeply, when he looked back at you so intently. He was supposed to be at work, but took off work earlier to attend the party.

“I was bored here, alone.” You said softly. “I don’t feel alone now.” You added and you broke off the gaze, looking at your lap instead of his deep eyes.

“Come and sit here.” He said and tapped on the empty spot next to him, and your eyes flickered up.

“You’ll feel less alone here.” He added with a coy grin on his handsome face.

Yongguk glanced up, when you surprisingly stood up from your seat, and walked up to him. “Scoot over, Bang.” You said with a bright laugh, when you stopped in front of him.

“I like it when you call me that.” He chuckled as he moved further back, and you shook your head at his teasing.

You finally sat down next to him, and he turned to look at you. Your hair fell over your face, and you pushed some of it behind your ear. You could feel his gaze on you, and you glanced back at him.

“Let me get something to drink for us.” He said in a dry tone and he stood up, before you could reply.

“You want coffee with a little milk, right?” He asked, and you nodded.

He knew you so well now, it was almost scary. Yongguk took off, and you were alone once again, but you didn’t feel alone now, because you knew he would be back soon.

Ki Joon was having so much fun with his new friends from the kindergarten. He was all over the place, running around and laughing, happy again. You grabbed your phone from your little black shoulder bag.

You took a few pictures of Ki Joon alone. You smiled to yourself, and you moved the camera to the side, trying to capture a picture of your happy boy. You frowned, when you saw Yongguk in it.

He was walking back to your table with a cup of coffee and a can of redbull in his hands. He gazed down on the ground. You had been so mad before that you hadn’t really paid attention to him.

He wore a black and white checkered blouse that was tucked inside his black jeans. He wore a black belt, and white sneakers.

Simple look always worked so well on him. His hair parted, and it looked so thick, smooth and soft. Your fingers felt ticklish of the need to brush through his locks.

A few buttons on his blouse were loose, and you could spot some of his chest tattoo. You shook your head once more, wondering what was going on with you lately, as you couldn’t control your own thoughts.

You didn’t deny the fact that he was really handsome, you thought that the first time you laid your eyes on him. But, back then, you thought he was just a jerk and rude. But there was so much more to him.

Yongguk finally placed your cup of coffee in front of you, and you thanked him. He shook his head, smiling and sat down in front of you.

Of course, he had a can of redbull. He loved drinking redbull, and energy drinks. You furrowed your brows, when you noticed that he sat in front of you instead of next to you.

“Why are you sitting far away now?” You found yourself asking that aloud.

He froze, and his eyes widened a bit, but then a smiled surfaced on his face, a boyish smile. He quickly stood up, and you your lips soft, and looked the other way, when he finally moved next to you.

As soon as he sat down, his scent overwhelmed you. He wore a really nice fragrance. You took a sip of your coffee, and leaned back into a comfortable position.

Yongguk scooted closer, and he moved one arm behind you on the backrest. You looked out on the boy. He was still having fun.

“Aren’t you cold?” Yongguk suddenly asked.

You blinked a couple of times, and pursed your lips with a confused look. It was a bit chilly, and you gave him a small nod.

You wor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter