Revelation

You Exist In My Song

The second time Joonmyun goes to see Yixing's band play is a lot less terrifying than the first, partially because he has Jongdae with him this time around, but also because he knows now that this place is not as scary as he originally thought it was.

There are just as many people standing in line as there was the last time, and Joonmyun wonders how popular Switchblade Granola must be to attract this amount of concert-goers every time. “This is the place?” Jongdae asks as he shoots looks, both curious and admiring, at the people waiting in front of the venue. He doesn't seem at all affected by the scowls he gets in return. Joonmyun wishes he possessed that kind of courage. “Cool.”

Yeah, it's alright, I guess,” Joonmyun says with a shrug. When Jongdae motions to head towards the back of the line, Joonmyun quickly grabs onto his arm to lead him to the front instead, ignoring his questioning expression.

Tonight it's the same doorman as last time as well – Joonmyun has learned by now that his name is Zitao – and he obviously recognizes Joonmyun, smiling wide enough for his eyes to curve up when he sees him approaching. He almost looks cute like that. “Joonmyun-hyung,” he greets him in very accented (but somehow extremely adorable) Korean. “Hello.”

Hi,” Joonmyun says. He gestures to the man by his side. “This is Jongdae.”

Hey,” Jongdae says with a wave. “I like your septum piercing, it looks really cool. I wish I was cool enough to pull off something like that, too.” He touches his own nose thoughtfully as if a ring is magically going to appear if he does so.

Zitao beams at the compliment. “Thanks.” He removes the rope to let them enter.

Baekhyun isn't working the bar when they get inside and take a seat. Instead it's a tomboyish woman, who grins brightly as she greets them. The nametag on her shirt spells out 'Amber' and she has a brightly colored cartoon dinosaur tattooed onto her neck. “What can I get you gentlemen tonight?” she asks, leaning over the bar to talk to them. Jongdae orders a beer while Joonmyun sticks to just ice water. “Sure, coming right up.” In what seems like the blink of an eye, they have their drinks in front of them, and the bartender motions to leave.

Hey,” Joonmyun calls out. “Do you know where Baekhyun is?”

Why?” she retorts playfully. “Am I not man enough for you?”

I'm just curious is all,” Joonmyun says, undeterred. The bartender regards him for a moment, then nods towards a point somewhere behind Joonmyun, and when he turns around on his stool, he sees Baekhyun just leaving the backstage area.

Baekhyun smiles when he spots Joonmyun. “Hey, glad you could make it,” he says, flipping up the top of the bar to walk behind it. “I know Yixing will be happy to see you, too.”

Joonmyun resists the urge to scoff. He doesn't quite believe that, but he decides against slinging out a wry response like he had originally wanted to, and instead he gestures to Jongdae. “This is Jongdae, a colleague of mine.”

Wow, that hurts,” Jongdae says, gripping the left side of his chest in a theatrical fashion. “You're breaking my heart, hyung. I was under the impression that I had graduated to become at least an acquaintance by now, but apparently I was mistaken.”

Rolling his eyes, Joonmyun goes on without otherwise acknowledging Jongdae's overdramatics: “This is Baekhyun, he's Yixing's... friend.”

Nice to meet you,” Jongdae says.

Likewise,” Baekhyun says, taking Jongdae's extended hand to shake it. The way he lets his eyes wander over what he can see of Jongdae's body is both very obvious and very telling.

Jongdae doesn't seem all too bothered by the fact that he's clearly being ogled by another guy. “Sorry,” he says with an easy smile. “I don't swing that way.”

Baekhyun hums. “That's a shame. I'm sure you and I could've had some fun.” He finally lets go of Jongdae's hand. “There's nothing I can possibly do to change your mind on the matter?” Jongdae simply apologizes again, and Baekhyun clicks his tongue. “Ah, well. Your loss, really.” He winks at a laughing Jongdae and then walks away to help Amber out at the other end of the bar.

He seems friendly,” Jongdae comments. When Joonmyun merely shrugs in response, Jongdae gives him a calculating look. “You don't like him?”

I have no valid reason not to,” Joonmyun mutters. Only stupid reasons with no actual basis. It's not like he owns Yixing or anything. He can have other friends.

There are screams coming from the packed dance floor and Joonmyun already knows without looking that the band is walking on stage. Still, he turns to watch. Like last time, Chanyeol enters first, then Sehun and Minseok together and last, but definitely not least, Yixing. A lump forms in Joonmyun's throat and no matter how many times he tries to swallow it down, it just won't go away. Yixing looks really good tonight. A white tanktop showing off his arms and his chest, grey pants, tousled hair. Joonmyun has to check to make sure he's not drooling.

Out of nowhere, Joonmyun receives a jab in the side and he yelps, snapping his head around to look at Jongdae in surprise. “Earth to Joonmyun,” Jongdae says. “I was kind of talking to you here. Or trying to, at least.” He doesn't sound angry, but Joonmyun still flushes.

Sorry,” he says. “I... I guess I was kind of... distracted.”

Oh yeah, I can tell.” Jongdae glances towards the stage where the band members are in the middle of getting their instruments ready and finding their positions. A smile tugs at Jongdae's lips. “Why don't you just kiss him already and get it over with?”

Joonmyun promptly chokes on his water. “Excuse me?” he splutters. Jongdae's smile grows. He doesn't say anything to elaborate his statement, though, he just stays quiet and waits. Joonmyun opens and closes his mouth, trying to speak, but the words refuse to come out and all that escapes him at first is half-strangled noises until he finally manages to stutter out: “I... but I'm not... I mean... wh-why on Earth would I... why would I kiss him?” Joonmyun finds it worrisome that his own mind isn't opposed to the idea at all.

Because you want to,” Jongdae says as if it's the easiest answer in the world, and Joonmyun is prepared to retort until it strikes him that... Jongdae may not be wrong.

The realization is like ice running down Joonmyun's spine and he shivers involuntarily. It's with startling clarity that he suddenly understands that he does want to kiss Yixing and that he has wanted it for a while, too. He still doesn't understand exactly why he wants to kiss him, but his mind is already struggling to keep up as it is, so he decides to save those speculations for a later time when he's had some time to come to terms with the fact that he really, really wants to kiss Yixing.

Despite the seemingly impending meltdown of his brain, Joonmyun gathers his thoughts to say in a shaky voice: “W-well, even if that was the case, it doesn't matter anyway. Yixing wouldn't want to kiss me.” Jongdae stares at Joonmyun like he has never encountered a person more stupid than him in his entire life. Joonmyun blinks. “What?” All Jongdae does is shake his head, and Joonmyun doesn't get the chance to ask him to elaborate before the background music dies to be replaced by Minseok's voice shouting:

What's up, people? We're Switchblade Granola, but I'm sure you already know that, right?” Judging by the crowd's elated reaction they really do. Minseok grins in satisfaction.

Switchblade Granola?” Jongdae asks, frowning, and Joonmyun lets out a sigh.

Yeah, I know. It's a long story.” Even though it doesn't seem like Jongdae fully understands, he nods nonetheless and turns his attention back to the stage just as the first song begins.

The band plays a great set. Joonmyun honestly didn't expect anything else from them, though, he already knows what they're capable of. He even recognizes a few of the tracks from last time he was here. Jongdae seems to be enjoying it as well. Joonmyun can hear him cheering along with the rest of the crowd in the short breaks between each song, but he barely even looks at him throughout the entire performance. As always he's busy staring at Yixing, who seems to be glowing when he plays. It's like he's on fire. He looks amazing.

It feels like it ends far too fast, but perhaps that's because there's a part of Joonmyun that would like to watch Yixing play forever. Even though it's over, the members don't go backstage like Joonmyun had thought they would after the show. Instead they jump down onto the floor directly from the stage and they head towards the bar, chatting and laughing. Joonmyun is tense.

Chanyeol is first to notice Joonmyun and shows off practically every single tooth in his mouth as he flashes his bright grin. “Hyung!” he exclaims, waving with excited, big gestures even though they're just a few steps apart. Despite the anxiety eating away at his insides, Joonmyun can't help but return the smile. Chanyeol's grin is infectious.

 I see you decided to get rid of the suit and tie,” Minseok comments as he gives Joonmyun's attire a onceover. It's more casual today because this time Joonmyun actually knew what to expect and dressed accordingly.

This seemed more fitting,” he says.

Minseok shrugs. “It's better,” is all he says, though that could be interpreted in a number of ways, so Joonmyun doesn't know whether to think of it as a compliment or not. Minseok inclines his head in Jongdae's direction. “Who's your friend?”

This is Jongdae,” Joonmyun says. “Jongdae, this is everyone.” He points to the band members one by one as he mentions their names and Jongdae gives each of them a half-bow in greeting. 

The last person to be introduced is Yixing. It's not by choice, it's just a coincidence, and as their eyes lock, Joonmyun finds himself at a loss for words. He can't speak and in the end Jongdae has to come to the rescue. “I already know Yixing,” he says. “We've met a few times.”

Yeah,” Yixing agrees absently. He's still not taking his eyes off Joonmyun. “Nice to see you again.” Why is he looking at Joonmyun rather than at Jongdae? Why isn't he looking away? Why does he keep looking at Joonmyun? The lump in Joonmyun's throat has returned with a vengeance and he can't breathe and everything is too hot.

Oh, ing hell,” Sehun mutters under his breath. “Be careful not to trip over that huge ing crush you're lugging around. Jeez.” Crush? Oh... Joonmyun's brain is putting the pieces together so fast it's making his head spin. Crush. It all makes so much sense now.

Yixing frowns. “I don't have a–”

I wasn't talking to you, hyung,” Sehun cuts him off. Joonmyun finally tears his eyes away from Yixing's to see that Sehun is staring at him. Sehun scoffs. “But frankly you're not any better. You both disgust me.”

Gulping, Joonmyun slides his gaze back to Yixing. He's almost certain that the expression on Yixing's face is a near perfect mirror of his own frightened one, but he's also pretty sure there are different causes for these expressions. Where Joonmyun's stomach is twisting into knots because of the sudden revelation that he has feelings for Yixing, Yixing is probably horrified to discover that Joonmyun has a crush on him, which is something that will undoubtedly make things even more uncomfortable between them. Joonmyun can't deny it anymore, though. It's a crush. He definitely has a crush on Yixing.

Wh-what are you talking about?” Yixing says after a while of awkward gaping, but his tone is nothing but anxious so his words lack conviction.

Sehun lets out a noise of someone long-suffering. “Ugh, you guys make me sick,” he groans.

The kid has a point, you know,” Jongdae casually adds, and Joonmyun would glower at him for being such a traitor if he wasn't currently occupied by trying to prevent his heart from leaping out through his throat.

Yeah,” Minseok joins in. “So can two please get the out of here already so the rest of us don't end up suffocating on all these gross, unresolved feelings?” He feigns choking on nothing and elicits laughter from just about everyone.

Everyone except for Joonmyun and Yixing, who continue to stare at each other in silence. Until finally, Yixing seems to snap out of it, and he in a deep breath, takes Joonmyun by the hand and starts leading him towards the back of the bar.

 

~*~

 

A/N: aaand here we see me inserting myself into a story in the form of sehun telling these kids that they are lame ing idiots. :D someone had to do it, ya know? anyway, I guess this is what we've all been waiting for: joonmyun finally opening his ing eyes and realizing that the feelings he has for yixing aren't just friendly feelings. \o/ but of course I'm going to end it here because I'm a ing troll. you should've learned this about me by now. ;)))))      

welp. I don't really have anything else to say.
I hope you all like the chapter and that you won't hate me too much for doing this. :D
bye~!