Smiles

Just You and Me

Ryeowook didn’t understand Sungmin and Kyuhyun are treating him like he is some sort of treasure. He doesn’t understand why – when they hardly do it – they continuously offered to help while Ryeowook was preparing dinner. Kyu even picked up a knife and asked what he was to cut up – both Sungmin and Ryeowook screamed at him to put it down which he only obliged to once they calmed down. It was a first for Kyu, to actually pick up the correct instrument for helping out; the last time he helped Wookie cook he stood there watching and eating the uncooked vegetables.

Ryeowook continuously rejected their offers for help, shaking his head in attempt to brush off the strange behaviour. Sungmin’s – which had continued on from the shopping centre – seemed to be the strangest of all. At the shopping centre blanked out and continued muttering “You did it…” “How did you do it?” and “Ryeowook… you cracked it.” What he had had done, Ryeowook had no clue in the world. But he nodded and lead Sungmin around the store until they arrived at his car where Wookie had offered to drive. That was a big mistake, Sungmin had turned around and snapped at him for even suggesting such a thing.

Wookie didn’t mind. Sungmin was back – in a way (he still seemed distant). And he knew that Sungmin knew that he was a good driver, it was just the fact that it was Kyuhyun’s car that had him worried. He protected the car like it was his life. Which, in a way, it was. Everyone knew that if anything happened to the car Sungmin and Kyuhyun would have a fight and Donghae, Hyukjae and Ryeowook would be forced to choose sides (as if they were the children of the couple) even if the argument wasn’t really an argument.

It had happened once before, Sungmin had driven too close to a tree and it scratched the car. The scratch was easy to buff out – Hyukjae proved that the next morning. But Kyu had seen it and flipped. Worse than the time that Ryeowook had broken his keyboard – no one knows how he did it but it happened and the moment it did he knew his life was over.

Each child was forced to pick a side or leave the house. Ryeowook had no idea who to side with, Donghae was looking up at Hyukjae in hopes that he had some sort of plan. In the end both Sungmin and Kyuhyun had tried to bribe everyone to come to them. It was at that time – somewhere around three in the morning – that Hyukjae decided to take a look at said scratch and buffed it out with his shirt. Minnie and Kyu felt stupid and went to bed refusing to look at each other for days.

“Wookie…” Donghae looked around the house in search of the almighty Kyuhyun – hoping that the youngest would be able to fix his computer for him – but had not heard him nor Sungmin for quite some time and had started to get worried. The younger didn’t even answer his calls.

Donghae was also curious as to what’s for dinner and if he ended up making the strawberry cheesecake. That’s why he was looking for Wookie.

Donghae entered the kitchen and found both Sungmin and Kyuhyun sitting at the bench looking at Wookie like he knew the secret to life. And maybe he did. It was Wookie after all. He was an angel in everyones eyes, even when he did wrong he was never reprimanded by anyone except Kyuhyun. Not even Hyukjae could be jealous of Donghae’s affection for the eternal maknae.

“What’s going on…?” Donghae whispers to Sungmin, knowing that Kyu would never give him an answer.

“Ryeowook is a god.” Sungmin replies, eyes never leaving Ryeowook, as if waiting for the younger to stuff up or to reveal his secrets.

“How so…?” Donghae leans on the bench and smiles as Wookie looks up and waves at him.

“The cheesecake is in the fridge,” Ryeowook says, looking back down and delicately pealing the leaves off the lettuce core into perfect cups, “and we are going to having meat tonight!”

“Perfect.” Donghae mutters, still waiting for Sungmin to give him an answer.

Ryeowook is listening too, hoping that he can put an end to the weird behaviour and just be normal again. He likes normal Minnie, the one that likes the colour pink, the shape of pumpkins and whose favourite animal is a rabbit – or Kyuhyun. He even wants the noisy Kyuhyun that bullies him back. He doesn’t like being treated like he needs a bubble around him. And Kyuhyun is the only one that really truly understood that he can take the teasing as long as it was all in good jest.

Donghae waves his hands in front of Kyuhyun and Sungmin’s faces, Kyu snaps at it and moves back to watching Ryeowook.

“I’m home~” A voice sings, Donghae jumps and rushes out to meet his lover.

“Hyukjae!” he pounces into Hyuk’s back, instantly the older hooks his arms around Donghae’s legs and carries him to the kitchen. “Wookie said that your cake is in the fridge and we are having meet for dinner.”

“Mmmm. Perfect. You’re the best Wookie~!” Hyukjae smiles and Ryeowook merely brushes it off. “Now, I heard that you also made the un-feeling feel something today Ryeowook…”

Both Donghae and Ryeowook look at Hyukjae. Ryeowook unsure of who he made feel anything. And Donghae confused as to how his boyfriend knew this before he did.

“Honestly Hae, you need to check your phone more. Our little Ryeowook made the evil Jongwoon smile today.”