The Giraffe and The Turtle

Just You and Me

After a year and a half, he could still remember the words that had been said to him, in front of both their parents. He could still, clearly, remember the reactions that they had gotten too. He felt bad that his lover, his best friend, his partner had to go through such a phase. At least they were together through out it.

 

I know that we aren’t exactly in the most conventional relationship, us both being men and all… But I feel that we have known each other forever. You are my past, my present and I want you to be my future too.

 

Jongwoon’s father had rejected him. Rejected the both of them. However, with the rejection of them came the rejection from Jongjin and his wife. He was threatened out of the company he owned by many of his work mates, as well as his family. Stock holders even decided that if a homophobic was in charge of the company they wanted nothing to do with it. So in time, Jongwoon’s father had forcefully realised that this was no time to be a homophobic, especially when his son was openly gay.

Ryeowook’s parents had bought champagne to celebrate at the time, they hadn’t cared about Mister Kim’s outcry and forceful removal. They, along with Mrs Kim, had popped the champagne and shouted to the world that they were proud and glad and overjoyed with the entire thing.

 

I also know that we aren’t exactly compatible; I mean how can a giraffe live with a turtle? But that won’t stop me from pursuing this, the owl and the cat did it, so why can’t we?

 

Sungmin and Heechul had cried when Ryeowook told them. Sungmin mainly because cooking duties would move to him in that share house because there was no way he could trust Kyuhyun not to kill anyone or Hyukjae to poison people and Donghae just should not be near a stove. Ever. But other than that he was happy for his younger friend. He had always known that he would be the first. Even if he had been in a relationship longer, or Donghae and Eunhyuk seemed more committed than them. Ryeowook would always be the first.

Heechul was jealous, he cried because that was what he had wanted. A love that was so real, for the both of them, that fast. He and his boyfriend were continuously going through rough patches because parts of Heechul’s family had something against the Chinese and Hangeng was always worried that Heechul was using him to get back at his family for something. And, sadly, Heechul was so desperately in love with the man that he kept messing up not knowing how to show it, making Hangeng worry more that the man he loved was unfaithful.

 

It has always been hard for me to make friends; I am not the most approachable person in the world. And I have never had a relationship with anyone before, you are my first, in so many ways, and I want it to stay that way forever.

 

Ryeowook had finished his schooling with top marks, scoring the best he could in all his tests and although he didn’t come first in the school he was up there with his scores. Shindong had immediately added extra shifts to his roster, without permission from Jongwoon. So when the older found out he was surprised that Shindong had taken such actions to get Ryeowook the job. Not that he complained, he liked to see Ryeowook every chance he got, and although that became slowly less during the day they still saw each other more than enough after the restaurant was closed.

Moving in with Jongwoon after his last exam was a compromise the two had made early on. Ryeowook believed that he would never study if he could be with Jongwoon after work and so the two decided that they would wait for Ryeowook to finish before they became fully attached at the hip.

 

I want to see you laugh all the time. I want you to smile with happiness; I want to be the reason for your happiness. I want to be by your side when you’re sick to help you get better. I want to hold you when you cry. I want to be with you when ever, whatever your mood. I want to help you through the tough times too. I want all of this and more for nothing in return. Even though I know you will always bring me happiness and comfort me throughout the bad times.

 

Jongwoon’s work load gradually lessoned as he slowly moved away from his parents company. Deciding that he liked being hands on business owner. He had even opened two new restaurants to help make up for his loss of wage. Zhou Mi had done the interior decorating for all of them. Koi No Yokan, was styled to fit the menu theme of Japanese cuisine, it was modern and traditional, very Zhou Mi. Jongwoon had hired a chef from America to head the restaurant, Kim Kibum. He had an interesting spin on the traditional Japanese food style which was why Jongwoon liked him.

The second restaurant was Yuafen, a Chinese restaurant that Jongwoon left in the hands of his old classmate Park Jungsoo as it was too far from Forelsket and Koi No Yokan for Jongwoon to travel. Jungsoo took the majority of earnings from Yuafen and had a lot of input into the interior design when Zhou Mi refused to use traditional and modern again – something about it clashing with what he knew would be on the menu. But Jongwoon was proud of Yuafen. Often taking Ryeowook there for dates on his days off, not only to see Jungsoo but also because Ryeowook seemed to enjoy the chefs Chinese food.

 

I know we won’t exactly be recognised as anything more than two guys that live with each other. I know that we will face some really tough times and that there is no protection for us by the law. But I want to spend the rest of my life with you. As partners, as husbands, as part of a civil union. As something. Together with you. Anything you want Ryeowook, I will give it to you, I will follow you around the world. I will do anything to help you achieve your dreams, along to the way. But first, I want to become officially something together with you. Even if our country is backwards and doesn’t believe in it, as long as you believe with me, we can make it work.

 

They had a civil union, commemorated by a young man that went the name Kangin. Although it technically wasn’t legal, nor recognise by the laws of the country, Jongwoon and Ryeowook both thought that it was the best day of their lives. Their friends and family had joined them, having all been more excepting than either of them had thought towards their relationship. They did get a few hate letters, and one of Ryeowook’s cousins had sent a priest to rid them of the devil, but they just laughed that off with the help of their friends.

They had the service at a park on the outskirts of Seoul, followed by a party at a nearby hall where Shindong had cooked the most spectacular food and Zhou Mi had decorated free of charge, stating that even if it wasn’t a real wedding that it had to look like one.

Their friends had stayed longer than their family, partying later than they had actually booked the hall for but Jongwoon and Siwon had just laughed it off stating that money wasn’t a problem even if Ryeowook and Donghae had yelled at them both about being carelessly rich.

And even though everyone had woken up with the worst headaches in their entire history of partying, the night was amazing.

 

“What do they mean? I have been meaning to ask you why you chose the names you do for the restaurants…” Ryeowook asks on day in spring.

“The names of our restaurants huh? Such a trivial thing to ask…” Jongwoon laughs, feeding his turtles some lettuce. “Let’s see, I had the list ever since I met you.”

“Since you met me?” Ryeowook asks, refilling the turtles water bowl.

“Yep. The first was the name I chose was Koi No Yokan that’s what I wanted to rename the first one. It’s Japanese for the knowing that, as soon as you see a person you will love them.”

Ryeowook blushes, “Love at first sight…”

A nod from the other as he hugs his lover, “Yes, exactly that, but more intense. I didn’t know if you knew Japanese or not though and I didn’t want to freak you out so I looked again.”

They slowly move to the lounge where Ryeowook sits himself comfortably on Jongwoon’s lap.

“Forslsket was one I found soon after Koi No Yokan. It’s Norwegian.”

“What does it mean?”

“The euphoria you experience when falling in love. A feeling I knew very well at that time.”

“I knew it well too…” Ryeowook mutters shyly, “What about Yuafen then?”

“Ah, that one was something I found after we started dating. Obviously it’s Chinese, but the best thing is the meaning. Something that I also connect to you. Yuafen is a relationship by fate or destiny.” Jongwoon kisses Ryeowook’s nose, smiling to himself as the younger turns a bright red. “That is how I have felt about this since the beginning.”

“Yuafen… It defiantly describes this perfectly.”

"The giraffe and the turtle finally made it huh?" Jongwoon jokes, and Ryeowook just smiles to hhimself. Because they did. They made their story real.

 

A/N:: thank you to everyone who has read this, commented, voted, subscribed. I really appreciate it, and love all the feedback and encouragement I have recieved from you all. I just want to say that its been one heck of a ride throughout this, I got bored, Igot stuck and then I finally finished it. I am not used to that to be honest, but hey, its done. Sweet little ending I think. 

Anyway, feel free to check out some of mmy other fis and look out for them. Friend me, what ever. You can even avoid me for ever if you want. I do not mind. XD I just want you to know that you guys are awesome and I love you for it. 

Now I must go I have an exam that I should be studying for. Thanks again guys! <3